• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond Dantès;48262850 said:
The conundrum would be who to cast as Aragorn considering how ingrained Viggo is in people's minds.

They could do something like they did with the Hobbit, have Viggo as Aragorn telling his son about his adventures. It would free them up to cast someone new as young Aragorn, maybe have him look similar and slowly transition into Viggo (only for the section where he hunts for Gollum if they decide to include it).

I will admit when I go back and read LotR I do picture Viggo.

Edmond Dantès;48262192 said:
I'd rather see that as a film.

It would include;

The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
Aragon's early years as Estel in Rivendell
Becoming a Ranger
Battling alongside Thengel under the assumed name of Thorongil
His adventures with Elrond's sons
Meeting Gandalf for the first time

Is there actual detail for these tales? I thought they weren't much more than a list of bullet points.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They could do something like they did with the Hobbit, have Viggo as Aragorn telling his son about his adventures. It would free them up to cast someone new as young Aragorn, maybe have him look similar and slowly transition into Viggo (only for the section where he hunts for Gollum if they decide to include it).

I will admit wen I go back and read LotR I do picture Viggo.
Old Aragorn (Viggo reprising his role) recounting his life with Eldarion would be an excellent backdrop to set the narrative against.

Edmond Dantès;48263740 said:
The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen is a fully fleshed out tale. The rest would be for the script writer to expand upon.

So, as GAF's most prominent tolkein maniac, what's your opinion on stuff like that? "Adaptations" where there isn't actually any content to adapt? Seems like you're ok with it. I find it surprising for some reason.

also, the real question in the saga of ongoing adaptations: Will LEGO keep giving me Middle-earth inspired sets to buy? and how many years til they give me balrog and treebeard sets? Nazgul on a fell beast? Where is my billion-dollar over-the-top massive minas tirith?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So, as GAF's most prominent tolkein maniac, what's your opinion on stuff like that? "Adaptations" where there isn't actually any content to adapt? Seems like you're ok with it.
As long as the new material is true to Tolkien, I'm fine with it. Drawing inferences from Tolkien's writings and thoughts is a good way to do it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
US exclusives:

Target

Exclusive packaging with Lego figurine and exclusive featurette.

iOQe5mbqsCAma.jpg

Walmart

Exclusive 64-Page Digibook.

i7hPzR6sfaxY3.jpg

WBShop

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray + DVD combo and panoramic poster set.

iREO3OWTEHsgP.png

Best Buy

Exclusive Gollum cover, and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins".

ibsLbsH5DGQkno.jpg

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48380488 said:
US exclusives:

Target

iOQe5mbqsCAma.jpg

Think I'll go with this one unless Amazon can muster up something enticing :)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I was in Tesco the other day and there was some lego cinematics from the fellowship in there, one of them was Gandalf atop his carriage meeting Frodo in the shire from the fellowship. I honestly have no clue why i didnt buy it then and there (it was a pricey £12 for being quite a small piece). Very tempted to go buy it tomorrow, my desk has far too little LotR coolness.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;48382520 said:
Lovely piece. Grumpy looking Gandalf is best Gandalf.

Indeed!

Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity
Other than his speech to Frodo that is the best line from fotr.

Holy balls in excited for the Blu Ray and next film, such a wonderful time to be alive.

Mr Cola

I walked into a Games Workshop a few weeks ago and was very tempted by some of their figurines and set pieces for the hobbit. Mighty expensive though and all needing to be painted. Not sure I have the patience for that.

Edmond Dantès;48380488 said:
US exclusives:

Target

iOQe5mbqsCAma.jpg

WBShop

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray + DVD combo and panoramic poster set.

iREO3OWTEHsgP.png

Ahhhh shit! Well, I guess I wouldn't mind picking up one of these; poster or cute little Lego Bilbo with a fancy blue coat? The poster is cool (and the best one of the panoramic options), but regular-sized posters can be a pain-in-the-butt to display, let alone a reeeally huge one...

Vega

Man, this is going to be so tempting to buy on blu-ray. I gotta hold out for the extended edition though. I refuse to double dip.

Ponn

Banned
Man, this is going to be so tempting to buy on blu-ray. I gotta hold out for the extended edition though. I refuse to double dip.

This is already one book split into three movies. Im a big LoTR fan but even I thought this movie could have been trimmed a little. I find myself crazy for saying this, and i love the LoTR EE versions but im really not interested in an extended version of Hobbit at all.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Martin had a tough act to follow considering Ian Holm's history of depicting hobbits (Frodo in the BBC radio version and Bilbo in the films), but he did well, his best work is yet to come though considering how the narrative progresses in the next two films.

DjRoomba

Banned
there were a lot of problems with the film but his performance wasn't one of them. what he was given was a bigger issue imo.

ian holm was better in that one fellowship scene though, but who knows. we've got two more films to see bilbo grow.

He did the best he could perhaps, but he was just so unmemorable (like the rest of the movie). Elijah Wood took the Frodo role and did something interesting with it. Freeman took a boring character and barely elevated it beyond that. As you said, Ian Holm did a better and more memorable job in his small role.

I went back to find my impressions of The Hobbit and still feel the same about Bilbo now as I did then.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45769077&postcount=1789
I'm probably going to cop a lot of flack for this, but I wasn't a fan of Martin Freeman's Bilbo. The quirky stuff was all well and good, but I didn't buy what were supposed to be his more introspective and emotional scenes - like when he's in hiding behind the tree, listening Thorin talk about him or when he decides to leave the company. For me, he didn't really sell those moments at all, but instead came off as rather awkward and bumbling when those were moments he would have been better off leaving those quirks to rest. Holm has those quirks as Bilbo as well, but he knows when to reign it in and play the character more seriously, where Freeman apparently did not.

Paul Giamatti's problem is that he's always playing PAUL GIAMATTI. It's in caps because he's always doing that damn yell you know he's going to do.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ideally, The Hobbit should have been filmed before The Lord of the Rings, hence a younger Ian Holm playing Bilbo. His depictions of Frodo and Bilbo are by far and away the most convincing portrayals of hobbits thus far.

Ian Holm as Frodo ===> Elijah Wood as Frodo.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;48415354 said:
Ideally, The Hobbit should have been filmed before The Lord of the Rings, hence a younger Ian Holm playing Bilbo. His depictions of Frodo and Bilbo are by far and away the most convincing portrayals of hobbits thus far.

Ian Holm as Frodo ===> Elijah Wood as Frodo.

I've been listening to the BBC radio dramas and I completely agree. Holm really knew how to embody those characters, even when it was in voice-only. His mannerisms in the films were spot-on for Bilbo, it's one aspect of the character that I don't think Freeman completely nailed. But hey, for all we know by the end of There and Back Again Freeman could have us all convinced that he's the single-best Bilbo ever.

Man, Freeman was not a good Bilbo.

I fail to see how anybody else could have been cast. He's spot-on. I actually think it's unfair to Holm to have them in the same film, Freeman is infinitely superior. Holm might play the older, zanier Bilbo a little better, but we haven't had a chance to see that (yet)

David Tennant was rumoured to play Thranduil, which highly excited my girlfriend...

Loxley

i dont like any of the boxarts...hope the extended edition will be book style like the lotr ones.

You can practically guarantee they'll do something special for the EE. Maybe when all of the films are out and about we'll get a special edition box set of all three Hobbit movies wrapped a case that looks like the original cover:

thehobbitfirsteditiondu.jpg

Edmond Dantès;48324420 said:
Yes, a lot of the criticism against Peter was unfounded it seems.
Umm, he comes across as any greedy CEO. Blame the Union, conspire with a cuckolded government and call in the Hollywood lawyers when the room gets hot.

Loxley

Umm, he comes across as any greedy CEO. Blame the Union, [conspire with a cuckolded government and call in the Hollywood lawyers when the room gets hot.

Can you blame him though? After going through the whole MGM fiasco (and losing his director in the process) an Australian union tried to cock-block him at the last second and nearly cost New Zealand the entire production. Their timing could not have been worse.

I mean, look at this interview where Jackson addresses the situation as it was going on, he's clearly stressed as all hell. I watch that interview and I don't see "greedy CEO" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom