• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That looks amazing! The textures on the troll body is pretty lacking though, but that's not really BD's fault :3

Loxley

49036826.png

Kill this scene. Kill it with fire.

Look at the bottom right, even Thorin is groaning at this joke.

Darryl

Banned
Edmond Dantès;49211889 said:
Theatrical edition on March 24.

Extended edition expected in Autumn.

thats bullshit, i only wanted to rewatch this movie once before seeing the next in theaters.

Loxley

Probably the most pointless scene in the history of film. Especially since it wasn't even funny.

I firmly believe the stick-insect joke is worse than any of Gimli's comedic relief moments in the LotR trilogy. This and the burping between Nori and Ori in the unexpected party scene are both things I wouldn't mind losing completely.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Finally a good look at the Mirkwood Elves' battle armour.

admhFe6L.jpg

Not as refined as the Noldor armour, as you'd expect from a kingdom predominately made up of Elves who haven't made the journey to Valinor or played a part in Feanor's rebellion.

Less advanced than the Noldor and far below the highest of all the Elves; the Vanyar.

Loxley

I do love that design, especially the colors. Very appropriate for wood elves. The design for the Ñoldor armor in The Hobbit was also a great call-back to the elves of the Second Age from Fellowship's prologue.

45511591396067540858393.jpg

dasddac.jpg

What never ceases to amaze me is just how natural all of the character designs are for these films. It would be so easy to screw it up and make everyone look ridiculous. But bless those fine folks at Weta (and of course Alan Lee and John Howe), they managed to crack the code and make everything just right; not to straight-laced or serious for a fantasy film, but not to fantastical that they can't be taken seriously.

What never ceases to amaze me is just how natural all of the character designs are for these films. It would be so easy to screw it up and make everyone look ridiculous. But bless those fine folks at Weta (and of course Alan Lee and John Howe), they managed to crack the code and make everything just right; not to straight-laced or serious for a fantasy film, but not to fantastical that they can't be taken seriously.

I was actually thinking about this today in regards to designing things in a way that requires them to blend in and not be noticed (or stand out); how rewarding and yet... a little tragic. I can't imagine the effort that goes into that kind of attention to detail and subtlety.

As for the silly comic relief that pops out of the screenplay sometimes? Eh, I don't find it funny or endearing either, but they're so fleeting that I can basically edit them out myself without the film being effected in any notable way. I might be alone in this ability, but I find it sad that small blips like that can sour an entire movie for people. I sympathize, but also wish I could help!

I firmly believe the stick-insect joke is worse than any of Gimli's comedic relief moments in the LotR trilogy. This and the burping between Nori and Ori in the unexpected party scene are both things I wouldn't mind losing completely.

Gimli's jokes were great for the most part so it's not even really a comparison to me. Pretty much everything with radagast felt completely unnecessary and the thing with the bunnies kinda took me out of the movie and ruined the tension. I know it's all fantasy but something about that really felt less real and believable.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Also:
It is believed the sneak peek of the second film will last somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes - but details are yet to be confirmed.

That's a sneak peak and a half. I just wonder how much new footage we'll see. And no Smaug thank you. I'd rather see his magnificence revealed when I see the film.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;49290840 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Beorn and Tauriel though.

I wonder if they're going to go with the big lumberjack look for Beorn that so many artists have latched onto.

tnbeornlordofthewild.jpg

Then again, as I suppose I mentioned above, Weta are great at finding their own unique designs for characters. He's definitely the one character from the book I'm the most excited to see realized on the big screen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder if they're going to go with the big lumberjack look for Beorn that so many artists have latched into.

tnbeornlordofthewild.jpg

Then again, as I suppose I mentioned above, Weta are great at finding their own unique designs for characters. He's definitely the one character from the book I'm the most excited to see realized on the big screen.
The more gruff the better methinks.

An interview with Richard Armitage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0GOrF_-DyM&feature=youtu.be

Loxley

Did you not see the confrontation between Gandalf and the Goblin King?

"that'll do it"

Absolutely terrible.

It's weird, the second and third time I saw the film I actually chuckled at that line. I think it was just because it was so lame that I found it funny in a round-about way.

Ixion

That line was unexpected for a movie like this, as it seemed like something you'd see in a parody. But it kind of caught me by surprise and made me laugh.

As much as I would love to pick up the extended version when it comes out, I'm holding out hope that it will have a special event theatrical release in 48fps

Dmax3901

I was actually thinking about this today in regards to designing things in a way that requires them to blend in and not be noticed (or stand out); how rewarding and yet... a little tragic. I can't imagine the effort that goes into that kind of attention to detail and subtlety.

As for the silly comic relief that pops out of the screenplay sometimes? Eh, I don't find it funny or endearing either, but they're so fleeting that I can basically edit them out myself without the film being effected in any notable way. I might be alone in this ability, but I find it sad that small blips like that can sour an entire movie for people. I sympathize, but also wish I could help!

Well said, basically how I feel too.

raphier

Banned
I wonder if they're going to go with the big lumberjack look for Beorn that so many artists have latched onto.

tnbeornlordofthewild.jpg

There is a picture floating of him on the set. He looks like Diablo necromancer, long white hair, clean shaved.

Did you not see the confrontation between Gandalf and the Goblin King?

"that'll do it"

Absolutely terrible.

didnt bother me either. I know its not from the book, but its still cute.

I'm ok with Jackson's vision as something separate from tolkein's. I take these films as personal interpretations for whoever is making them.

Loxley

didnt bother me either. I know its not from the book, but its still cute.

I'm ok with Jackson's vision as something separate from tolkein's. I take these films as personal interpretations for whoever is making them.

Yep, same. At this point I feel like you've either accepted that the films will be different from the book and not a literal translation, or you haven't. It's completely fruitless to get upset about it at this point.

We'd all love to take a time machine back to when Tolkien was still with us and somehow Inception our way into his mind to see what he was envisioning while writing the Legendarium, obviously. Luckily we do have Tolkien's awesome illustrations that give us some insight :)

thehillhobbitonacrossth.jpg
thefrontgate.jpg

theelvenkingsgate.jpg

finmirkwoodtolkien.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yep, same. At this point I feel like you've either accepted that the films will be different from the book and not a literal translation, or you haven't. It's completely fruitless to get upset about it at this point.

We'd all love to take a time machine back to when Tolkien was still with us and somehow Inception our way into his mind to see what he was envisioning while writing the Legendarium, obviously. Luckily we do have Tolkien's awesome illustrations that give us some insight :)

thehillhobbitonacrossth.jpg
thefrontgate.jpg

theelvenkingsgate.jpg

finmirkwoodtolkien.jpg
He had very unique art style.

Pauline Baynes' art styld was also indicative of what Tolkien's vision of Arda was like. She was the only officially sanctioned Tolkien artist. Even then, Tolkien still critiqued her work at times hence the Michelin man Gollum jibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom