• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

2PC4WuS.gif

Yep, same. At this point I feel like you've either accepted that the films will be different from the book and not a literal translation, or you haven't. It's completely fruitless to get upset about it at this point.

We'd all love to take a time machine back to when Tolkien was still with us and somehow Inception our way into his mind to see what he was envisioning while writing the Legendarium, obviously. Luckily we do have Tolkien's awesome illustrations that give us some insight :)

thehillhobbitonacrossth.jpg

finmirkwoodtolkien.jpg

Love these so much. So much character.

Stumbled across these the other day:

And the artist. She has a dA and a few other blogs and such.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond Dantès;49766385 said:
That's lovely.

The location crew for The Hobbit did a very good job finding somewhere similar.

240112sp3.JPG

Dear god, I swear it's like New Zealand was made to be Middle Earth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Elves don't sleep? Wut?
They do in a way, just different to other races.

From The Two Towers:
Legolas already lay motionless, his fair hands folded upon his breast, his eyes un-closed, blending living night and deep dream, as is the way with Elves.
...and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world."
A meditation of sorts, rather than something needed to rest their immortal* bodies.

*Elves do age albeit very slowly.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If you do go, be on your guard; there are older, and fouler things in the deep places of Oceania...

nelsoncavespideroncavew.jpg

127shelobabouttoport.jpg
But Candeldandel's really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.

Edmond Dantès;49921305 said:
It's a dangerous business, Candeldandel, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Edmond Dantès;49923717 said:
But Candeldandel's really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.

D'aww, Edmond <3 I wish you could see the huge silly grin on my face :D

If you do go, be on your guard; there are older, and fouler things in the deep places of Oceania...

PSHHH! I hella love bugs and spiders and... I'm gonna say most manners of creepy-crawlies, ('cause some can still give me a jump if I'm not expecting them)! In fact, long before the LotR trilogy, I learned about weta and I've always wanted to hold one <3 Giant adorable crickety bug?! Sign me up!!

NdFRS1P.jpg

Cave weta are a little creepier though... (/shudder) I prefer ground weta! I wanna feed one a carrot :p

Edmond Dantès;49771038 said:
They do in a way, just different to other races.

From The Two Towers:

A meditation of sorts, rather than something needed to rest their immortal* bodies.

*Elves do age albeit very slowly.

So a case of over simplifying matters on that promo poster.
Reminds me of the Top Trumps cards for LOTR which had numerous seemingly made up statistics.

Edmond Dantès;49968339 said:
The Japanese poster had that kind of style.

HobbitEpicJapanesePoster500bdv2c.jpg

That should have been the poster for all markets, and definitely should be the DVD/Blu Ray cover.

Loxley

My only complaint about that poster is that it gives the impression that the Ring is the focus of the story. Great otherwise.

My only complaint about that poster is that it gives the impression that the Ring is the focus of the story. Great otherwise.

That, and goddamn, that mofo is busy. So busy that Thorin is on there twice! He's not that short! Did they think people wouldn't notice him? :p

aceface

so the movie is available now to buy on the PSN store.

Yeah I saw this. Amazon digital too. Is next weeks Blu ray going to have any significant special features? Cause if not I'll buy this digital now (cheaper) and wait for the inevitable special edition to get a physical copy.

Loxley

Yeah I saw this. Amazon digital too. Is next weeks Blu ray going to have any significant special features? Cause if not I'll buy this digital now (cheaper) and wait for the inevitable special edition to get a physical copy.

It comes with all of the vlogs, but that's it. You're not missing out on much if you get the digital version, especially since all of the vlogs are available online for free. The EE will - once again - have all of the awesome stuff. However, all of the physical copies of the film will include a code that will allow you to watch the livestream of the Desolation of Smaug reveal with Jackson on March 24th.

Speaking of which, less than a week and a half :D

hbt2044512r.jpg

aceface

It comes with all of the vlogs, but that's it. You're not missing out on much if you get the digital version, especially since all of the vlogs are available online for free. The EE will - once again - have all of the awesome stuff. However, all of the physical copies of the film will include a code that will allow you to watch the livestream of the Desolation of Smaug reveal with Jackson on March 24th.

Speaking of which, less than a week and a half :D

hbt2044512r.jpg

Ah, that's not bad. Buying!

Watevaman

I totally forgot the BD release is next week. Will be buying the theatrical and by the time the extended comes out it will be like a whole new experience.

aceface

Just FYI those vblogs are all at the end of the digital version I bought. It adds about an hour to the running time at the end.

Does anyone happen to know what the music is during the "Bebother and confusticate these Dwaves" scene? It's 23 minutes into the film and only lasts 40 seconds. On the soundtrack it should be somewhere between An Unexpected Party and Blunt the Knives, but it isn't.

Remember these?

Well, I told meself I would wait 'til I got a job, and lo and behold I snagged one last week! So yeah, these were the first things to pop into my head on the way home from the interview /headdesk

Dantes, Loxley... don't hate meeee

Who has two thumbs and is not a professional photographer? This gal! I really do love them to death, though <3 I can't wait to show them off :)

PS: I did check, and they seem to be missing text for Oin, Dori and Bifur. Or, at least, I couldn't find them. Seems strange to put most of the dwarves on there, but not all of them!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Remember these?

Well, I told myself I would wait 'til I got meself a job, and lo and behold I snagged one last week! So yeah, these were the first things to pop into my head on the way home from the interview /headdesk

Dantes, Loxley... don't hate meeee

Who has two thumbs and is not a professional photographer? This gal! I really do love them to death, though <3 I can't wait to show them off :)
An arbiter elegantiae.

You look great.

(Never thought my Tolkien posts would inspire a Gaffer to buy clothes though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom