• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's got the Blu-ray the cheapest in the US? DOn't care for anything "specials" just want the movie the cheapest.

Wonder if I should wait for the inevitable EE's.

Barnes and Noble had the 2D blu ray for $21.50 today. If you have a membership then it takes another 10% off. I would not be shocked if a coupon showed up this weekend too.

Loxley

Man, I do not regret picking up the theatrical release. This sequence alone was worth it; a complete eye & eargasm the whole way through (granted that could be said for the entire film) - especially if you've got a great sound set-up.

part1fd.jpg

part2cz.jpg

sadasdasdasdm.jpg

part3zy.jpg

Of course it's immediately followed by Thorin McBadass anti-climactically getting curbed-stomped by Azog and becoming Warg food, but I forgive Jackson for the existence of the stick-insect joke because I'd forgotten how great this scene was.

Initially I was irked at Howard Shore using yet another reprise of a track from The Lord of the Rings for this sequence, because it seemed like an out-of-place choice. However after reading some fan theories as to why Shore chose to use that specific track, I've come around to completely loving it. As such I was able to enjoy it in it's entirety :)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I cant wait to see the end scene between Thorin and Bilbo on blu-ray

Its a heart melter :D

Number45

Man, I do not regret picking up the theatrical release. This sequence alone was worth it; a complete eye & eargasm the whole way through (granted that could be said for the entire film) - especially if you've got a great sound set-up.
You're not making the task of holding out for the EE any easier. :'(

jaxword

yo wtf at that scene. the setup for it was incredible. he really should have just killed azog right there and then.

We don't know how Azog is still alive. All we know is that he was captured by Thorin and they acted as if he were dead, meaning that they likely executed him.

I don't know why but I kinda hope that when Smaug talks the mouth movement will be either very subtle or almost non existant, almost like he was using telepathy. I want him to open his maw only when the shit is about to get real and show dem teeth.

Friggz

man, i want to get the blu ray, but i know there is going to be some ultra mega set coming out in a few years that will have all 6 movies in a cool looking box.

maybe ill get in on red box to hold me over until then.

I need to grab a copy of this in the next few days. I was NOT a fan of the 3d HFR version I saw and I've been waiting to see it vanilla since then.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't know why but I kinda hope that when Smaug talks the mouth movement will be either very subtle or almost non existant, almost like he was using telepathy. I want him to open his maw only when the shit is about to get real and show dem teeth.
That's kind of how Bilbo will converse with the spiders.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Must be due for some vlogs soon

In my veins

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The High King of the Reunited Kingdom enjoyed The Hobbit.
Yeah, I did. I went on opening day to see it. I was actually in Argentina, and I went with a bunch of kids and their parents. It was kind of a party atmosphere, it was fun, it was in 3-D, and they had popcorn. I enjoyed it. In particular it was nice to see some of the landscapes I remembered. It was a nice trip down memory lane, where we’d shot near some of the places where I’d gone camping or fishing.
http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/03/viggo-mortensen-everybody-has-a-plan-interview.html

The world of film needs more Viggo.

Loki

Count of Concision
I watched this the other day. Wasn't too impressed. It was just...a movie. I didn't feel like there was anything at all that made it stand out or that was noteworthy. The only stuff I liked was seeing the characters from LOTR, but that's only because LOTR was such a fantastic movie, not because those characters did or said anything memorable here. More like nostalgia, really. I didn't feel invested in any of the characters (didn't even know the names of most of them really). I felt like they phoned in this movie even though I'm sure they didn't.

Draper

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9613/part1fd.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2061/part2cz.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1209/sadasdasdasdm.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/368/part3zy.jpg[IMG]

Of course it's immediately followed by Thorin McBadass anti-climactically getting curbed-stomped by Azog and becoming Warg food, but I forgive Jackson for the existence of the stick-insect joke because I'd forgotten how great this scene was.

Initially I was irked at Howard Shore using [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-Wh-iZavImo#t=30s"]yet another reprise of a track from The Lord of the Rings for this sequence,[/URL] because it seemed like an out-of-place choice. [B]However after reading some fan theories as to why Shore chose to use [I]that [/I]specific track, I've come around to completely loving it.[/B] As such I was able to enjoy it in it's entirety :)[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear some of these theories since I'm kinda weirded out my the musical choice during that scene. It's odd to play the villainous music when they predominantly only show Thorin.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'd like to hear some of these theories since I'm kinda weirded out my the musical choice during that scene. It's odd to play the villainous music when they predominantly only show Thorin.

Nothing to address your Thorin issue, but basically (spoilers for the rest of The Hobbit, and beyond)
the main complaint people had is that they played "Sauron's music" there, Mordor's music, when it's just Azog. The theories involve the idea that since the books establish Azog as dead, and here he is alive again somehow (a movie-only concoction), that maybe the Necromancer brought him back to life. Or at the very least, there could be a Necromancer connection. The music ties in since the Necromancer is in fact Sauron himself. The music here could be giving people unfamiliar with the Hobbit a very sneaky hint of the Necromancer's identity, and suggest that Azog is acting at Sauron's behest.

Draper

Nothing to address your Thorin issue, but basically (spoilers for the rest of The Hobbit, and beyond)
the main complaint people had is that they played "Sauron's music" there, Mordor's music, when it's just Azog. The theories involve the idea that since the books establish Azog as dead, and here he is alive again somehow (a movie-only concoction), that maybe the Necromancer brought him back to life. Or at the very least, there could be a Necromancer connection. The music ties in since the Necromancer is in fact Sauron himself. The music here could be giving people unfamiliar with the Hobbit a very sneaky hint of the Necromancer's identity, and suggest that Azog is acting at Sauron's behest.

Ah, thanks for the info.

I read it could be because
Thorin has one of the dwarven rings and it infulences him negatively, hence the ringwraith music.

Loxley

I'll spoiler this because it contains some slight spoilers of events that Desolation of Smaug may cover, in the extreme off-chance that any of these theories end up actually being true.

One of the most common theories is that Thorin is in possession of one of the seven rings of power given to the dwarves by Sauron, specifically the ring that was passed down the line of Durin. In the mythology, that particular ring was in the possession of Thorin's father Thráin but retrieved by Sauron before the events of The Hobbit. So in the book, Thorin never possesses a ring of power at all.

However, the theory is that - in the film's continuity - Thorin did, somehow, manage to acquire the ring of power before his father disappeared. Now, the rings of power that Sauron gave the dwarves did not cause them to fall under his control, but instead essentially allowed him to influence them into becoming more greedy, angry, narcissistic, and arrogant. Howard Shore's decision to use the Weathertop theme (aka the track that is most associated with the Nazgûl) makes sense if Thorin does possess one of the rings.

Thinking back to Fellowship (the film), Aragorn has a line when he's explaining who and what the Nazgûl are to Frodo, "They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question; one-by-one falling into darkness". The argument is, that's exactly what's happening to Thorin. In that scene, Thorin gets up, turns his back to his friends and companions, and instead of helping them he gives in to his own personal desire for revenge by charging straight towards Azog. No strategy, no plan, just blind rage. The Nazgûl theme makes sense in this instance because, much like the Nine, Thorin is giving in to the influence of a ring of power. It also explains why he's such a complete dick to everyone.

That is of course all predicated upon the baseless theory that Thorin does possess a ring of power - which is never mentioned or even hinted at in the film. I do really like it though, so I've decided to just go with it for now ;)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I could see them doing that, just because
Thorin being a huge dick throughout the entire trilogy, like he is in the book, is just hard to be sympathetic with. Blaming it on the ring would mesh better with the theme of the movies I think. Make him more of a redeemable character.

kingocfs

I'll spoiler this because it contains some slight spoilers of events that Desolation of Smaug may cover, in the extreme off-chance that any of these theories end up actually being true.

One of the most common theories is that Thorin is in possession of one of the seven rings of power given to the dwarves by Sauron, specifically the ring that was passed down the line of Durin. In the mythology, that particular ring was in the possession of Thorin's father Thráin but retrieved by Sauron before the events of The Hobbit. So in the book, Thorin never possesses a ring of power at all.

However, the theory is that - in the film's continuity - Thorin did, somehow, manage to acquire the ring of power before his father disappeared. Now, the rings of power that Sauron gave the dwarves did not cause them to fall under his control, but instead essentially allowed him to influence them into becoming more greedy, angry, narcissistic, and arrogant. Howard Shore's decision to use the Weathertop theme (aka the track that is most associated with the Nazgûl) makes sense if Thorin does possess one of the rings.

Thinking back to Fellowship (the film), Aragorn has a line when he's explaining who and what the Nazgûl are to Frodo, "They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question; one-by-one falling into darkness". The argument is, that's exactly what's happening to Thorin. In that scene, Thorin gets up, turns his back to his friends and companions, and instead of helping them he gives in to his own personal desire for revenge by charging straight towards Azog. No strategy, no plan, just blind rage. The Nazgûl theme makes sense in this instance because, much like the Nine, Thorin is giving in to the influence of a ring of power. It also explains why he's such a complete dick to everyone.

That is of course all predicated upon the baseless theory that Thorin does possess a ring of power - which is never mentioned or even hinted at in the film. I do really like it though, so I've decided to just go with it for now ;)

It sounds too awesome to be true.

Loxley

Also, if you watch that scene, Thorin is completely engulfed in fire while charging towards Azog.

One might say he was...

eyeofsauronlordoftherin.jpg

...wreathed in flame.

dun dun DUUUUUUUUNNNN

I know, it's a pretty huge stretch ;)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, kinda agree. I gotta rewatch the scene and see if they do truly use it as a means to show him being a dick because I didn't exactly get that vibe. His actions felt heroic; the score was just unusual.

He didn't really need to do it though. Thorin got pissed and charged them, it looked heroic but it was really stupid and easily could have led to his death. Bilbo had to bail his ass out for a reason.

Loxley

Yeah, kinda agree. I gotta rewatch the scene and see if they do truly use it as a means to show him being a dick because I didn't exactly get that vibe. His actions felt heroic; the score was just unusual.

I would definitely recommend watching that scene again, they didn't come off as heroic to me - especially watching it now. In the exact frame where Thorin stands up and begins to walk down the tree (the first image I posted near the top of the page) you can see Bilbo and Balin (Thorin's oldest and most trusted friend) are literally dangling from the tree struggling to hold on...and Thorin walks away from them.

He could have helped them up, but they actually go out of their way to show that once Thorin makes eye contact with Azog (this is also right when the Nazgul music kicks in), he doesn't look away or even blink from the time he gets up to the moment where he gets knocked down. At that moment he had one mission and saving his friends from falling to their death wasn't it. The look of shock on Bilbo's face says it all really.

Draper

Interesting. I'll give it another look this weekend. Very intriguing stuff if that's the direction they're going with it

Oh yay! I wanted to hear those theories, too, since you'd voiced some disappointment about the number of reprized scores when the movie was released.

I imagine there will be a light shone on a fair amount of decisions by PJ & Co. when the trilogy is over..... aaand I just made myself sad :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
One must also factor 'dragon sickness' into the theory which is more in keeping with the Legendarium. The sickness that also afflicted the likes of Turin, Nienor and co in the First Age.

OT but EU Playstation Plus is having some Middle Earth love these days. Two LOTR games in a row :lol.

I was reading through some old comics a few days back and spotted a (very loose) Donald Duck adaptation of The Hobbit. Characters include the great wizard Sandalf :p. Story and art were pretty mediocre/bad but it's fun to see stuff like this.

There actually is a much better adaptation of LOTR that is quite old, and I remember there being kinda weird adaptation of LOTR movie craze too.

pestul

I really like that Thorin theory, but dragon sickness is also likely.
He really does act dickish later on in The Hobbit as well, so we'll get to see which way PJ goes with it. From a pure tie-in / marketing perspective, it would be genius for him to go that route. I also don't think it would upset the fanbase by messing with any lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom