• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Maybe Legolas wants to go brunette, the Noldor look was apparently very "in" during this period of the Legendarium. Thranduil of course being the stern father who doesn't want his teenager to go and die his hair and join a rockband/smoke some totally awesome pipeweed.

TDLink

Also, let's not forget the best part of the reveal.

sshot36h.jpg

This part was great. Colbert dropping the knowledge.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Maybe Legolas wants to go brunette, the Noldor look was apparently very "in" during this period of the Legendarium. Thranduil of course being the stern father who doesn't want his teenager to go and die his hair and join a rockband/smoke some totally awesome pipeweed.
All joking aside, Peter and co have handled father and son strife exceptionally well in the past (see Faramir/Denethor), so I expect the Legolas/Tharduil conflict to be an interesting sub-plot in the next two films. It could also go towards explaining why Legolas is so stoic by the time of The Lord of the Rings, certainly in comparison to book Legolas.

I'm glad Peter (and Jed, too, I think) mentioned it being "dark" a few times, because that's exactly how I picture it: visually dark and foreboding. Of course, it can't be too dark, 'cause I still wanna see everything, but I'm confident that they'll be able to pull it off.

That art is spectacular.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;51341973 said:
If Mirkwood ends up like the concept art, I'll be pleased.

OIBjbzih.jpg

Absolutely, I also loved the other pieces Jackson showed off,

sshot43.jpg

sshot44d.jpg

They're clearly looking to give Mirkwood it's own distinct identity beyond "Dimly lit, quirky looking forest". Can't wait to see the final product, effects and all.

Hex

Banned
Edmond Dantès;51064023 said:
According to this interview, Legolas will be in the next two films and Orlando will be returning to New Zealand for more filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxhIkOS4zM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He may have a pretty substantial role in the end. I'm kind of expecting an archery contest between him and Bard. Maybe Bard was his mentor thus explaining his archery skills by the time of The Lord of the Rings.

An archery contest?
An elf, needing mentoring in archery from a human?
Bard had his role in things, no more and no less.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I finally saw the movie...and I loved every second of it, despite some of the liberties taken over the book.

The atmosphere presented in this scene is great. Can't wait to hear what Howard Shore has cooking for it.

sshot48.jpg

sshot49.jpg

sshot532.jpg

I could almost smell it. Y'know what I mean? When I'm in an empty parking garage, or a concrete stairwell or hiking in a rocky area after the rain... it's concentrated earth. Cold, drafty... sometimes dry, sometimes damp.

F that shaft straight down, though, I'm staying behind Gandalf for that part :<

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not sure how that scene will play out exactly. If they do find the Nazgul tombs empty it may be bit of an anticlimax, if they do encounter some of the Nazgul, it wouldn't really be a fair fight. Two wizards with their staffs against weakened wraiths, quite far away from their Master. We all saw how easily Radagast single-handedly dealt with the Witch-King.

ghostmind

Well the livestream was a lot of wasted time by PJ goofing around, but that footage in the tomb was awesome. Between this preview, and the free LEGO Bilbo minifig, I got my value out of this bluray release.

The WB legal ninjas are all over clips of the stream on the popular video sites - wonder how long they are willing to keep it up?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wish I could have seen it. Anyone have an idea of when the full video will be up? Was anyone able to record it?

The tomb didn't really do it for me, though I did like the tone they were presenting. I think the visual on it was just a little bare.

Then again it was on a crappy web stream so I'm sure the real thing will be much better.

Loxley

It's minecraft! lol

That shot actually reminded me of this one from the Fellowship EE:

dasdasdasxr.jpg

What's interesting, is that the shot from Fellowship is composited with a miniature, and the one from The Hobbit is completely CG. It's funny to me that they used miniatures in The Lord of the Rings because they were more believable and stood up to scrutiny better than the CG at the time, but now you can create digital environments with such absurd levels of detail (like Goblin Town) that miniatures are almost a step below how far you can push digital details.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That shot actually reminded me of this one from the Fellowship EE:

dasdasdasxr.jpg

What's interesting, is that the shot from Fellowship is composited with a miniature, and the one from The Hobbit is completely CG. It's funny to me that they used miniatures in The Lord of the Rings because they were more believable and stood up to scrutiny better than the CG at the time, but now you can create digital environments with such absurd levels of detail (like Goblin Town) that miniatures are almost a step below how far you can push digital details.
That's one of my favourite additions in the extended cut. Frodo's subtle reaction to Gandalf's statement about the worth of the Mithril shirt always makes me smile. Not to mention the only mention of Thorin in the entire trilogy.

Dmax3901

Just watched it, so fucking hype oh my god.

Footage of Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown was probably my favourite part, I wasn't sure exactly how they were going to flesh out Laketown and that section of the story, but now I've seen this I have no fears.

Tauriel, Legolas and Thranduil and the whole Mirkwood environment seem to be shaping up nicely as well.

So in the prologue of FotR they tell us that nine kings of men were given rings of power and were consumed by their desire for power. So in the films mythos, the kings must have slowly succumb to the rings and died, as opposed to turning into wraiths while still alive as in the books.

Sometime after their death Sauron summons them and they explode out of their tombs, which I suppose makes sense, as he is a Necromancer, something that brings things back from the dead.

Also a cross-post from the live stream thread:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug |OT| Never Venture East!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just watched it, so fucking hype oh my god.

Footage of Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown was probably my favourite part, I wasn't sure exactly how they were going to flesh out Laketown and that section of the story, but now I've seen this I have no fears.

Tauriel, Legolas and Thranduil and the whole Mirkwood environment seem to be shaping up nicely as well.

So in the prologue of FotR they tell us that nine kings of men were given rings of power and were consumed by their desire for power. So in the films mythos, the kings must have slowly succumb to the rings and died, as opposed to turning into wraiths while still alive as in the books.

Sometime after their death Sauron summons them and they explode out of their tombs, which I suppose makes sense, as he is a Necromancer, something that brings things back from the dead.

Also a cross-post from the live stream thread:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug |OT| Never Venture East!
That condenses the history quite a bit, but certainly makes sense in the movieverse.

Edmond Dantès;51361071 said:
That's one of my favourite additions in the extended cut. Frodo's subtle reaction to Gandalf's statement about the worth of the Mithril shirt always makes me smile. Not to mention the only mention of Thorin in the entire trilogy.

Really? I'ma have to go back and hear that part. I guess I get so sucked into the awesome atmosphere that I tune out some of the dialogue. Oops :( Moria is my favorite part of LotR, too; it's not surprising to hear it's a highlight for everyone :p

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;51362379 said:
That condenses the history quite a bit, but certainly makes sense in the movieverse.

Condensed is right. With the Morgul Blade scene in AUJ I was a little miffed that they'd messed with the Witch King's story with all that breaking out of a tomb business, but now that I've seen a little of where they're taking it I'm really excited.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Oh, you!

And I must say, that depiction of Smaug looks... goofier than I imagined. Tolkien purists are gonna be piiiiiissed~

That is from the movie How to train your dragon. I think it was a joke....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom