• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OT but EU Playstation Plus is having some Middle Earth love these days. Two LOTR games in a row :lol.

I was reading through some old comics a few days back and spotted a (very loose) Donald Duck adaptation of The Hobbit. Characters include the great wizard Sandalf :p. Story and art were pretty mediocre/bad but it's fun to see stuff like this.

There actually is a much better adaptation of LOTR that is quite old, and I remember there being kinda weird adaptation of LOTR movie craze too.
There's also the Finnish adaptation. What it lacks in production values it makes up for with its quirkyness.

Edmond Dantès;51077721 said:
There's also the Finnish adaptation. What it lacks in production values it makes up for with its quirkyness.

As a finn the best Donald adaptation has to be Kalevala by Don Rosa, great art and humour. I would pay a high price to see a long ass Hobbit adaptation by Rosa but alas he is no longer able nor willing to work.

RfSlxyC.jpg

Edmond Dantès;51079827 said:
That's really lovely artwork. Thanks for the recommendation.

Well of course Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is pretty much considered his best work (which it certainly is) but it was cool to see such a weird adaptation by THE best Duck artist.

Finally got around to seeing this, and I was surprised and let down at the same time. I went in thinking that the stretching of this into 3 films would hurt the flow of the movie, and it was kind of confirmed. This movie took FOREVER to get going, but.......once it did I really enjoyed it. I can already see that on re-watches I will most likely be skipping to high points rather than just watching the whole thing.

I hope the next two films don't suffer similar issues.

I actually didn't think at all that the beginning was too long. I rather enjoyed it. Actually IMO the weakest part of the film is when the adventure itself starts and until the really good stuff like Gollum ect happens.

Burt

Just watched this for the first time. It was pretty bad, and made even worse by the fact that theres actually a decent movie in there somewhere.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Finally got around to seeing this, and I was surprised and let down at the same time. I went in thinking that the stretching of this into 3 films would hurt the flow of the movie, and it was kind of confirmed. This movie took FOREVER to get going, but.......once it did I really enjoyed it. I can already see that on re-watches I will most likely be skipping to high points rather than just watching the whole thing.

The exposition has been dealt with in AUJ. I expect TDOS to kick into a higher gear much sooner than AUJ considering how much there's still to get through. The tone will change more drastically too with a certain character's introduction. Brutality more in keeping with The Silmarillion, than the whimsy Hobbit and according to earlier leaks, said character's more unsavoury side will be expanded upon.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;51064023 said:
According to this interview, Legolas will be in the next two films and Orlando will be returning to New Zealand for more filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxhIkOS4zM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He may have a pretty substantial role in the end. I'm kind of expecting an archery contest between him and Bard. Maybe Bard was his mentor thus explaining his archery skills by the time of The Lord of the Rings.

Heh, maybe ;)

thereand20back.jpg

And yep, with regards to Thorin the dragon sickness is the other more common theory. I think I just like the one about about the ring of power because despite being outlandish and a complete wish-dream, it could make sense strictly within the context of Jackson's adaptions. But I'm sure the dragon sickness will be explored more in DoS for obvious reasons.

mjc

The exposition is a bit much to sit through...I definitely think there's some pacing issues. But once they past Rivendell it gets much more manageable.

Loxley

It's likely they won't. If any one of the three films was going to suffer from the sudden expansion to a trilogy, it was going to be AUJ (which it clearly does). The film covers about the first six chapters of the book, and as Dantès said - those chapters are laregly exposition and set-up for the rest of the book. With Desolation of Smaug we're now getting to the part of the book where things actually start to pick up speed and get awesome.

From here going forward, we'll be meeting the book's most interesting characters (of which there are numerous) and going to it's most interesting locations.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's likely they won't. If any one of the three films was going to suffer from the sudden expansion to a trilogy, it was going to be AUJ (which it clearly does). The film covers about the first six chapters of the book, and as Dantès said - those chapters are laregly exposition and set-up for the rest of the book. With Desolation of Smaug we're now getting to the part of the book where things actually start to pick up speed and get awesome.

From here going forward, we'll be meeting the book's most interesting characters (of which there are numerous) and going to it's most interesting locations.
Indeed.

Very much looking forward to Benedict's depiction of Smaug. Not just the voice, but his mannerisms too.

Burt

You mean there are characters more interesting than "mighty wizard with bird shit running down his face" and "stupid-beyond-caricature trolls" and "big fat goblin with highly animated anti-gravity jowls"? Can't wait to see how PJ depicts them.

jaxword

You mean there are characters more interesting than "mighty wizard with bird shit running down his face" and "stupid-beyond-caricature trolls" and "big fat goblin with highly animated anti-gravity jowls"? Can't wait to see how PJ depicts them.

In PJ's defense, those were pretty accurate depictions. The trolls had cockney accents, the Goblin King was always described as fat and grotesque, and Radagast was said to be a bit of an odd hippy. Obviously PJ exaggerated their appearances for humorous intent, possibly to detrimental levels, but their core designs aren't far from the original descriptions.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Tolkien's most famous dragon and one of the most iconic dragons in all dragon lore, myth and fantasy for one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Seems like a traditional dragon depiction. Del Toro was attempting to do something new and different, wasn't he?
Yes, his idea was something akin to Saruman of Many Colours from the novel. A dragon with everchanging scales as well as a facial morphology closer to the Balrog seen in the trilogy, rather than a Norse dragon like Fafnir.

Jimothy

I'll spoiler this because it contains some slight spoilers of events that Desolation of Smaug may cover, in the extreme off-chance that any of these theories end up actually being true.

One of the most common theories is that Thorin is in possession of one of the seven rings of power given to the dwarves by Sauron, specifically the ring that was passed down the line of Durin. In the mythology, that particular ring was in the possession of Thorin's father Thráin but retrieved by Sauron before the events of The Hobbit. So in the book, Thorin never possesses a ring of power at all.

However, the theory is that - in the film's continuity - Thorin did, somehow, manage to acquire the ring of power before his father disappeared. Now, the rings of power that Sauron gave the dwarves did not cause them to fall under his control, but instead essentially allowed him to influence them into becoming more greedy, angry, narcissistic, and arrogant. Howard Shore's decision to use the Weathertop theme (aka the track that is most associated with the Nazgûl) makes sense if Thorin does possess one of the rings.

Thinking back to Fellowship (the film), Aragorn has a line when he's explaining who and what the Nazgûl are to Frodo, "They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question; one-by-one falling into darkness". The argument is, that's exactly what's happening to Thorin. In that scene, Thorin gets up, turns his back to his friends and companions, and instead of helping them he gives in to his own personal desire for revenge by charging straight towards Azog. No strategy, no plan, just blind rage. The Nazgûl theme makes sense in this instance because, much like the Nine, Thorin is giving in to the influence of a ring of power. It also explains why he's such a complete dick to everyone.

That is of course all predicated upon the baseless theory that Thorin does possess a ring of power - which is never mentioned or even hinted at in the film. I do really like it though, so I've decided to just go with it for now ;)

You just made me way more excited for the next two films. Really cool theory.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So i cant get into the live event because for some god knows reason the hobbit isnt coming out till April

BAH

I'm super torn between wanting to watch the broadcast, and not wanting to be too spoiled with the extra stuff that will been in the movie :( But man oh man, I really wanna see Smaug, so yeah, I'm banking on that we'll get to see a glimpse of him. God, I hope it'll be worth it.

Usually I avoid that kinda stuff like the plague, so it's weird to be giving in... blerg!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
so jealous :[ cant wait till its uploaded somewhere

Thorin v. Thranduil is going to be intense. Though Thorin seems quite tall in that screencap; did I miss him standing on something? Or Thranduil is just short? Or I'm looking too far into it and they just haven't edited it yet.

Akahige

Thorin v. Thranduil is going to be intense. Though Thorin seems quite tall in that screencap; did I miss him standing on something? Or Thranduil is just short? Or I'm looking too far into it and they just haven't edited it yet.
He's 6 something irl, they must mess with it in post or reshoot with one on greenscreen

He's 6 something irl, they must mess with it in post or reshoot with one on greenscreen

Jesus H, Lee Pace is TALLER (6'3") than Richard Armitage! I had no idea, I just kinda assumed at 6'2" Richard towered over everyone else around. I figured there was some kinda movie magic going on because I didn't realize everyone on set is a giant. Insane!

Edit: Christopher Lee is 6'5"... I think he wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom