• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I'm absolutely thrilled at how much Jackson is willing to show so early on, he must totally realize how badly people have been wanting this movie. The dwarves all look fantastic, Thorin especially looks great in motion, Richard Armitage looks six different kinds of awesome.

Also, someone needs to .gif the part where Bofur is air-drumming :)

GarthVaderUK said:
Fantastic vid!

Christopher Lee!

I got such a stupid grin on my face when he came up, so great.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Only been able to watch half of it so far, but I CANNOT believe how much we're seeing this early! The Dwarves are looking FANTASTIC in motion!

Ahhhh nerd-excitement overload!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wow, I was surprised to see another video so soon! Everything is looking great.

Aaron

I only hope the movie is half as good as that blog. Wow. Even knowing the ending was coming didn't keep it from being incredible.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who really likes the part of the book with the trolls so hearing that they're trying to make it more exciting with action is a little disappointing.
In PJ we trust, right?

The dwarves looked a lot better than in the stills which was a pleasant surprise.

The end of that vid...
iELmh.jpg

Edit: Just the other day, I was reading his trivia page on IMDB. Little things like how he personally knew Tolkien, and was so familiar with the books that he became a main consultant on the films. I was thinking how sad it was that he'd likely not be involved with the Hobbit, and how unfitting it was that his scenes were cut from the theatrical RotK. This makes me so happy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
These videos are so amazing, am I correct in assuming that Andy Serkis is now directing some scenes for PJ? If so that's pretty awesome, also seeing the all the guys in the dwarf costumes joking around was fucking hilarious

Red_Man said:
These videos are so amazing, am I correct in assuming that Andy Serkis is now directing some scenes for PJ? If so that's pretty awesome, also seeing the all the guys in the dwarf costumes joking around was fucking hilarious
He's the 2nd unit director. LOTR had multiple units going as well.

Red_Man

Kilgore Trout said:

Cool did not know that thanks for the info, that's great to hear love me some Andy Serkis.

Branduil said:
The shot with the Dwarves and their mini-mes was so bizarre.

What is the purpose of the mini versions?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Red_Man said:
Cool did not know that thanks for the info, that's great to hear love me some Andy Serkis.

What is the purpose of the mini versions?

For when the Dwarves are on screen at the same time with Elves, Humans, whoever might be taller. To keep proper scale.

Not sure they'll be used as much as the Hobbit and Dwarf stand-ins on LOTR, as I imagine alot of the film will just be the Dwarves and Bilbo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That made my heart smile.

Red_Man

Lonestar said:
For when the Dwarves are on screen at the same time with Elves, Humans, whoever might be taller. To keep proper scale.

Not sure they'll be used as much as the Hobbit and Dwarf stand-ins on LOTR, as I imagine alot of the film will just be the Dwarves and Bilbo.

Makes sense, should have thought of that :lol these videos are soooooo good keep them coming PJ

LaneDS

Hah, planned to go to bed but stumbled upon the third video blog and ended up watching all three, pretty much smiling throughout. Very excited!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Great blog.

Also, having just watched BBC's Sherlock again, I honestly believe that Benedict would make a great Annatar, if they take that route with the Necromancer/Sauron.

Forever

Banned
As a book The Hobbit is a much lesser work than The Lord of the Rings in nearly every respect so I feared that the source material wouldn't translate so well. But after viewing that video I think that Peter Jackson may be on track to making an adaptation that is definitively better than the original. That would be an accomplishment in itself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Red_Man said:

You haven't at least watched the previous videos? Serkis being the 2nd Unit Director takes up a fair chunk of time in one of them.

Sirius

I'm finding it hard to contain the joy experienced after watching each of these production videos.. couldn't hold back my laughter in this one. Absolutely loved the part when John-Rhys Davis crashed the set of Bag End and gave his words of wisdom, "You poor buggers.." .. haha

The Dwarves look unbelievably awe-inspiring, it was quite something to see them standing next to their doubles, all correctly proportioned and complete as a group. Talking about awe-inspiring, Hugo + Ian + Cate re-donning their costumes and standing around the Rivendell set .. it must have practically been interactive dejavu for them all. Throw Christopher Lee in the mix and the deal is pretty much sealed.

I haven't been so hyped for any theatrically released series of cinema since RotK .. it will have been 9 years since that level of quality in film-making has graced the silver-screen, literally cannot wait for The Hobbit to release.

Forever said:
As a book The Hobbit is a much lesser work than The Lord of the Rings in nearly every respect so I feared that the source material wouldn't translate so well. But after viewing that video I think that Peter Jackson may be on track to making an adaptation that is definitively better than the original. That would be an accomplishment in itself.

I could not disagree more with that first assertion. The only thing 'lesser' with the Hobbit when compared to the LotR is its scope. In fact I think the story told in the Hobbit is easier to translate to film. Also, no fan of great literature would ever claim (before its even released mind you) that a film adaptation will be better than what it was sourced from.

bengraven

No gifs of the Saruman reveal yet?

Kilgore Trout said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who really likes the part of the book with the trolls so hearing that they're trying to make it more exciting with action is a little disappointing.
In PJ we trust, right?

The dwarves looked a lot better than in the stills which was a pleasant surprise.

Well in the book (do i really need to spoiler this?)
the dwarves go into the woods one by one and are taken...maybe in the movie they get ambushed or go together and get attacked and fight before being captured?

Kilgore Trout said:

Yep, three if I'm remembering the hours long EE documentaries.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I agent seen any of those yet, jus watched all three. Hype level rising

The funniest thing for me was video one.

Having seen the dwarf reveals before the video it stuck out to me that actor who plays Fili has a bigger beard in pre-production than his character does in the movie :p

scola said:
Having seen the dwarf reveals before the video it stuck out to me that actor who plays Fili has a bigger beard in pre-production than his character does in the movie :p

Yeah. Given the latest video it seems like they definitely wanted him to be the 'sexy' one. Eurgh.

Its a shame Fili has a new actor. I liked his previous actor.

GCX

Btw John Rhys-Davies still looks pretty much the same as he did in Raiders of the Lost Ark. A little older yeah but still, he even has the exact same beard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom