• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
damn these production videos are really well done.

I'm conflicted over whether I want to watch them all now or wait for the inevitable ultimate Hobbit set that has all this as extra content on the disc.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
The Silmarilion should have been filmed, but part of me realises that it is literally unfilmable.

Amir0x said:
damn these production videos are really well done.

I'm conflicted over whether I want to watch them all now or wait for the inevitable ultimate Hobbit set that has all this as extra content on the disc.

Watch them now. By the time these are all on a disc with the movie, you'll have forgotten most of them.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Watch them now. By the time these are all on a disc with the movie, you'll have forgotten most of them.

You know my memory sucks for most things but when it comes to things like movies, tv, etc... that's never true.

The second I start watching something I haven't seen in a long time I'll be all "this looks familiar" and then one second later I'll basically remember the whole thing word for word.

I like how in the video when asked who he would have for dinner Gandalf says "oh I wouldn't have them all, maybe two at a time" haha massive nod to later on in the film

Johnlenham said:
I like how in the video when asked who he would have for dinner Gandalf says "oh I wouldn't have them all, maybe two at a time" haha massive nod to later on in the film
Yeah. Nice wink and a nod there. :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Veidt said:
The Silmarilion should have been filmed, but part of me realises that it is literally unfilmable.
A high production series in the same vein as Game of Thrones would probably work.

Or adapting the story of Beren and Luthien. It encompasses many of the most important themes present in the Silmarillion; the downfall of Melkor, his war with the Elves, the significance of the Simarils, the Oath of Feanor and his sons, Melkor's influence on men, the pride of the Elves (Thingol's initial reaction to Beren wanting to marry Luthien), hope kindled in the darkest of hours and of course Sauron at his most powerful before the forging of the One Ring.

The Ainulindale could be explained in a prologue similar to the one in FOTR.

The Children of Hurin would also make a good film, although it might be a little too dark a in nature, considering the ending.
Everyone dies

J_incredible

Neo Member
Watched a recent Andy Serkis interview on IGN about the directing of the Hobbit and he seemed very excited about the opportunity and honored that Peter Jackson would have him handle the second directing unit. I think Andy Serkis has a keen eye for directing and imagining a shot with CGI characters.

Krispy

Johnlenham said:

That went completely over my head. Had a sweet little ah ha moment just then.

As this is probably the best place to announce my joy. . .

I just purchased the complete 'History of Middle Earth' (12 Volumes) in Hardback with illustrations from John Howe . . .

for just £21. ($34).

I am over the moon.

The only Tolkein (J.R.R and Christopher) work I don't own now is Roverandom.

Wray

So have they stated officially where the split will happen between films? Is there a general consensus on where would be a good point. I haven't read the books in so long personally that I cant think of a part.

Wray said:
So have they stated officially where the split will happen between films? Is there a general consensus on where would be a good point. I haven't read the books in so long personally that I cant think of a part.

Its not been announced yet. It depends how much of the padding/unseen stuff they have in the first flick.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:

I just purchased the complete 'History of Middle Earth' (12 Volumes) in Hardback with illustrations from John Howe . . .

for just £21. ($34).

I am over the moon.

Roverandom is very sweet faerie story, I‘d certainly recommend it.

My EE blu-ray set is lost in transit somewhere. :(

Very impressed with what I'm seeing here anyway. Great detail but still rather subdued. There really is something sticking out of that guy's forehead (was it Bofur?). They all look great in real life as opposed to photoshops.

Only thing I'm worried about still is Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn. While very successful in Sweden he's also a very archetypical actor and it might be hard to not see that. Then again Viggo must have been known to some Danes back then.

And yeah, that's right. Even if Lee does get to finish his parts there's a long time until the movies are actually out. :(

Kud Dukan

Galvanise_ said:

for just £21. ($34).

I am over the moon.

Wow, that's a great deal. How'd you manage that?

Kud Dukan said:
Wow, that's a great deal. How'd you manage that?

Some very, very poor Ebay listing.

I found a gem and sat there with baited breath for about 4 hours.

I'm a guy who likes to have the complete set of something, so if a series of books comes out, I like to have a consistent cover theme throughout.

My other Tolkien works all have the black background and the Tolkien logos on them, but I couldn't resist this set at that price.

So I'll now have a few volumes of THOME to sell as they no longer thematically suit my bookshelf.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:

I'm a guy who likes to have the complete set of something, so if a series of books comes out, I like to have a consistent cover theme throughout.

My other Tolkien works all have the black background and the Tolkien logos on them, but I couldn't resist this set at that price.

So I'll now have a few volumes of THOME to sell as they no longer thematically suit my bookshelf.
I'm missing a few of the HOME series, I'd be interested in buying them. Could you PM me?

Also,

Luke Evans talks about his role as Bard The Bowman

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31572

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
SiegfriedFM said:
Only thing I'm worried about still is Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn.
Speaking of Beorn. In video blog 2 they were scouting locations for the grasslands at the edge if mirkwood, and they pointed out a giant rock that could be part of a house. It didn't dawn on me till later that it could have been Beorns house they were scouting

This looks amazing.

I'm getting those pre-Phantom Menace hyped feelings again, but this one surely CAN'T disappoint.

Right?

right?

...right?

IAmtheFMan said:
This looks amazing.

I'm getting those pre-Phantom Menace hyped feelings again, but this one surely CAN'T disappoint.

Right?

right?

...right?

Impossible, since the script isn't pulled out of Lucas's ass, and is based on something that lots of people already love.

Oh yeah, there's loads of characters in The Hobbit. I'm being a bit overwhelmed by all the dwarves at the moment, but there's quite a few more.

Do we know how they'll handle all the talking trolls, animals and purses (!)? Lots of stuff in Bilbo really contradicts LotR or is just silly (how Bullroarer Took invented golf by taking the head off a troll with a club swing).

agrajag

Banned
Hey, it occurs to me that if they're expanding The Hobbit to add more stuff from the Appendixes and such, they should also add "The Quest of Erebor," which is Gandalf's account of how the events in The Hobbit came about. If you don't know where to read it, it's in The Annotated Hobbit.

SiegfriedFM said:
Oh yeah, there's loads of characters in The Hobbit. I'm being a bit overwhelmed by all the dwarves at the moment, but there's quite a few more.

Do we know how they'll handle all the talking trolls, animals and purses (!)? Lots of stuff in Bilbo really contradicts LotR or is just silly (how Bullroarer Took invented golf by taking the head off a troll with a club swing).

Well this is all gonna be probably CGI and maybe a bit of animatronic as well. The thing I'm most looking forward to is Smaug, since Cumberbatch is doing mo cap as well, just curious to see what's it's going to look like, he has to be huge but with a strong personality, Cumberbatch is just gonna nail it, for sure.

But the facial aspect is going to be very interesting to see, one thing I think that they will tone down are the songs, maybe not use all of them because it could be a bit embarrassing.

agrajag

Banned
THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Well this is all gonna be probably CGI and maybe a bit of animatronic as well. The thing I'm most looking forward to is Smaug, since Cumberbatch is doing mo cap as well, just curious to see what's it's going to look like, he has to be huge but with a strong personality, Cumberbatch is just gonna nail it, for sure.

But the facial aspect is going to be very interesting to see, one thing I think that they will tone down are the songs, maybe not use all of them because it could be a bit embarrassing.

No, they must absolutely have the song at the Unexpected Party.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
agrajag said:
Hey, it occurs to me that if they're expanding The Hobbit to add more stuff from the Appendixes and such, they should also add "The Quest of Erebor," which is Gandalf's account of how the events in The Hobbit came about. If you don't know where to read it, it's in The Annotated Hobbit.
In the Unfinished Tales as well. If they use material from the Quest of Erebor it'll probably be used in a prologue or maybe Gandalf the White recollecting his memories with Bilbo and Frodo.

bengraven

Galvanise_ said:

I hate you. I've wanted to buy the series for so long. ha

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès said:
In the Unfinished Tales as well. If they use material from the Quest of Erebor it'll probably be used in a prologue or maybe Gandalf the White recollecting his memories with Bilbo and Frodo.

I think following your second idea would be anti-climatic. IMO it should happen as the events actually did. If they're going to do all this extraneous stuff with the Dol Guldur, Necromancer, White Council, Lady Galadriel, etc. then the movie shouldn't start with The Unexpected party.

Cheerilee

Speaking of George Lucas (okay, that was a few days ago), he recently tried to sue one of his original prop makers for independently making and selling brand new authentic Star Wars props.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438694
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12910683

Peter Jackson (along with Spielberg and Cameron) supported Lucas in his lawsuit.

It turns out that in the UK, anyone is allowed to make their own movie props 15 years later, no license required. That means in around 5 years you won't need a license to make your own Lord of the Rings Halloween costume. Hobbit-specific merchandise will remain safe from pirates for 15 years.

This won't mean much for Americans, because apparently here it will still be illegal to make (or buy) any unlicensed LOTR or Hobbit product for 70 years after Peter Jackson's death.

I wonder what cut of anything sold the Tolkein Estate gets. All character trademarks, places etc should really be theirs. Really got on my nerves that Warner Bro's trademarked absolutely everything Harry Potter when in fact J.K Rowling should own it all.

Jokergrin

Galvanise_ said:
I wonder what cut of anything sold the Tolkein Estate gets. All character trademarks, places etc should really be theirs. Really got on my nerves that Warner Bro's trademarked absolutely everything Harry Potter when in fact J.K Rowling should own it all.

Tolkien Estate sold those rights long ago.

mclaren777

Edmond Dantès said:
A high production series in the same vein as Game of Thrones would probably work.

Or adapting the story of Beren and Luthien.
I've often thought that was the only way to make The Silmarillion work, though I just re-read that particular story the other day and it would take a lot of intro exposition to explain many of the key story elements.

Man

Question: Is this two movies still? A friend of mine was adamant that they had narrowed it down to one. If it is two, will we see Smaug at the end of the second one?

raphier

Banned
Man said:
Question: Is this two movies still? A friend of mine was adamant that they had narrowed it down to one. If it is two, will we see Smaug at the end of the second one?
Two movies.

EDIT:
Man said:
Smaug is not Smeagol. :)
Shit, I totally forgot lol, yeah Smaug's at the end of the second movie, yes.

Man said:

You'll see Smaug long before the end of the second one. After the Smaug affair (which is long in itself) we still have the haggling over the treasure, the battle of five armies, bilbo's journey home and then whatever PJ is adding to connect The Hobbit to the LOTR.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Things have been a bit quiet on The Hobbit front lately, after all the hype of the Dwarf reveals and the video blogs. So, I thought I'd ask who you guys would like to see performing the potential credit songs.

We're all well aware of the brilliant jobs that Enya, Emiliana Torrini and Annie Lennox did;

May It be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOykCYDMKBs&feature=related

Gollum's Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXbzffVl44

Into the West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcoBKWTW14

Fantastic songs and all very fitting for the respective films, but I'd like to see others take up the mantle for the upcoming films.

My personal choices would be;

Meav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMv_3YnlYOo
(This particular song was sampled for the Tomb Raider Legend theme.)

Lisa Gerrard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVW2nbwFRM

Loreena McKennitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CFM4ev-g8

And finally, Alison Sudol (A Fine Frenzy). A bit left field, but I think she'd do a great job, although I might be slightly biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAAJHGpbBr4

pringles

Gollum's Song is so damn good.

I don't know who they should get for The Hobbit but it would be inreresting if they went a bit lighter in tone compared to LOTR's rather somber songs. Alison Sudol is great but too poppy and modern, they need someone with a more timeless quality in their voice, like Enya, Torrini and Lennox all have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom