• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, watching this video is really great. The mood of the whole thing is just so... comforting.

Man

I suspect they are shooting a green screen in London/Pinewood studios is because Christopher Lee is too old to travel. :(

Man said:
I suspect they are shooting a green screen in London/Pinewood studios is because Christopher Lee is too old to travel. :(
Almost certainly the reason, at the BAFTAs last year he looked very frail and was barely able to walk.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
hobbitdwarveslarge.jpg

Loxley

You know, I just came to the unfortunate realization that when The Hobbit is released, I'm going to have to own the action figures of every single dwarf, my wallet it crying right now.

Then again, seeing as An Unexpected Journey literally hits theaters on my birthday...

I usually avoid threads like this because I like seeing the movie fresh,but I just can't help myself.

Just saw the last video blog - looking GREAT so far! I'm really amped.

I hope Christopher Lee will be able to complete the filming and see the finished results...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, Cate Blanchett is just way too beautiful for this world.

GCX

Man said:
Supposedly they shot some scenes with Ian Holm as well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
GCX said:
Supposedly they shot some scenes with Ian Holm as well.
With Elijah Wood as well, who recently came over to the UK. It would be nice if Bilbo was retelling his story to Frodo on the way to Tol Eressea or Valinor.

Leatherface

Edmond Dantès said:
With Elijah Wood as well, who recently came over to the UK. It would be nice if Bilbo was retelling his story to Frodo on the way to Tol Eressea or Valinor.

Ooo. That would be neat. :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Edmond Dantès said:

I always thought this would be a good way to tie this to LoTR in a film version. give a little screen time to Holm and Wood (heck Bloom and Davies also).

"Frodo my boy, did I ever tell you the story about how I came by the ring?"

I think this would also be the least awkward way to indicate that Gloin is Gimli's father to lay-audiences. Just have Bilbo or Gimli tell Frodo as much, and get it out of the way.

Although, this conflicts with my nerdcore self that will rage if they don't start the movie with the line "In a hole, in the ground, there lived a Hobbit," read by old bilbo

Branduil

I'd prefer they have the Frodo/Bilbo scenes take place prior to LOTR so that it's actually possible to watch the Hobbit before LOTR without massive spoilers.

So what you're telling me is that the Vampire from Being Human left the show to be the least important dwarf?! Damnit! I don't remember the book very well, so I wasn't sure what his character's part was. Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be the voice of Smaug right? So we probably won't see much of him until the second movie?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
but he left his book there and back again with Frodo before, he'd already know the story?

bengraven

Is it weird that I haven't seen the trilogy in a couple years, yet I want to watch the hours and hours of fine crafted making of documentaries on the EEs...BEFORE the movies?

brucewaynegretzky said:
So what you're telling me is that the Vampire from Being Human left the show to be the least important dwarf?! Damnit! I don't remember the book very well, so I wasn't sure what his character's part was. Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be the voice of Smaug right? So we probably won't see much of him until the second movie?

Fili and Kili are actually the most active dwarves. They are on look-out the most often, explore all of the caves before the party settles and then
Die fighting alongside their uncle (a very important relationship in Norse Mythology/Old English folktales) at the Battle of Five Armies. They'll get a lot of screen time.

Cumberbatch is also playing the Necromancer, so during the White Council scenes we might get flashbacks/scenes from when they discovered his presence/true self wandering through the forest.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
brucewaynegretzky said:
Smaug, as well as the Necromancer (although this hasn't been officially confirmed, but was mentioned in the Empire magazine exclusive)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
bengraven said:
Is it weird that I haven't seen the trilogy in a couple years, yet I want to watch the hours and hours of fine crafted making of documentaries on the EEs...BEFORE the movies?
Nothing weird with being fascinated by the film making process and how Peter and co successfully adapted the supposedly unfilmable LOTR.

Galvanise_ said:
Fili and Kili are actually the most active dwarves. They are on look-out the most often, explore all of the caves before the party settles and then
Die fighting alongside their uncle (a very important relationship in Norse Mythology/Old English folktales) at the Battle of Five Armies. They'll get a lot of screen time.

Cumberbatch is also playing the Necromancer, so during the White Council scenes we might get flashbacks/scenes from when they discovered his presence/true self wandering through the forest.

I vaguely remember the lookout part. I guess I really should go back and reread the book. Having Freeman and Cumberbatch really just ratchets up my hype for this movie. Sherlock Season One was one of my favorite TV series of all time.

I'm very glad that the songs are making it into this movie. I absolutely loved reading them and imagining the melodies.

They are one of the things I missed the most from the LOTR movies, particularly Bilbo's song from 'The Ring Goes South':

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is adifferent green.

of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door.

I found it incredibly touching.

bengraven

You know, when we read the books, the dwarves were rarely differentiated against each other.

thehobbit.gif

Now that they'll have their own styles and personalities...the ending
is going to be hella sad to see five of them die

Edmond Dantès said:
Nothing weird with being fascinated by the film making process and how Peter and co successfully adapted the supposedly unfilmable LOTR.

They made the creation of maquettes and interviews with grips dramatic and emotional. They are the best special features ever IMHO.

That and I really love the cast and their back and forths.

bengraven said:
They made the creation of maquettes and interviews with grips dramatic and emotional. They are the best special features ever IMHO.

That and I really love the cast and their back and forths.

I was stunned at just how 'I'm stoned and don't give a fuck' Viggo's voice sounded. I think the whole thing could have done with a bit more Christopher Lee. He has one of those epic voices and I bet he has some stories to tell!

The back-and-forth between the Dwarves will be awesome in the Hobbit appendices. We've already had a taste of it!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:
I was stunned at just how 'I'm stoned and don't give a fuck' Viggo's voice sounded. I think the whole thing could have done with a bit more Christopher Lee. He has one of those epic voices and I bet he has some stories to tell!

The back-and-forth between the Dwarves will be awesome in the Hobbit appendices. We've already had a taste of it!
I hope they include all of the video blogs on the eventual Blu ray release, especially for those who are avoiding everything related to The Hobbit films until the day of release.

Ixion

bengraven said:
the ending
is going to be hella sad to see five of them die

I thought it was three? Thorin, Fili, and Kili?

You're probably thinking of the animated movie, which changed things around.

bengraven

Galvanise_ said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

That said, I wish Chris would tell us the stories of his many meetings with Tolkien. I really appreciate his knowledge in the commentaries and makings of, on how he helped them with pronunciation (and few others alive could do that) and such...

When someone mispronounces Sauron (Sawron), I do a deep Lee voice and say "SOW-RON". Love him.

Ixion said:
I thought it was three? Thorin, Fili, and Kili?

You're probably thinking of the animated movie, which changed things around.

You might be right, I need to re-read the book soon. I used to read all four (Hobbit/LOTR) every year but have slowed a bit in my old age.

Edit; you are right.

Answers.com:

Of the THIRTEEN dwarves that set out along with Bilbo Baggins on the Quest of Erebor, three died in the Battle of the Five Armies: Fili, Kili, and Thorin Oakenshield.
The other 10 dwarves were:
Dwalin, Balin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur.
In the 1977 animated movie version of The Hobbit, only 6 of the dwarves live. I forget which though. One thing I'm certain of: Fili, Kili, and Thorin die in both the book and the animated movie.

I wonder if he'll take out more. I hope not. He withstood pressure from the studio when they were trying to kill Hobbits in LOTR ("four is too many, can't one die?"), so I hope he stays strong with this film.

bengraven said:
Yes, yes, and yes.

That said, I wish Chris would tell us the stories of his many meetings with Tolkien. I really appreciate his knowledge in the commentaries and makings of, on how he helped them with pronunciation (and few others alive could do that) and such...

When someone mispronounces Sauron (Sawron), I do a deep Lee voice and say "SOW-RON". Love him.

Christopher Lee is one person I could talk to all day. I'd ask him about Tolkein as a person, his knowledge of middle earth, his hammer-horror movies, star wars, his involvement in power metal albums etc.

He is one interesting guy.

As for Saruman, I didn't mind the changes made in the movie, but I was disappointed that they didn't explore Saruman's voice more. I enjoyed that chapter a lot.

scola said:
Although, this conflicts with my nerdcore self that will rage if they don't start the movie with the line "In a hole, in the ground, there lived a Hobbit," read by old bilbo

They can just start it with that, then have Frodo suddenly interject:

"Whoa whoa whoa! This isn't any old hole, and you aren't any old hobbit!" ::mug for camera::

bengraven

Galvanise_ said:
Christopher Lee is one person I could talk to all day. I'd ask him about Tolkein as a person, his knowledge of middle earth, his hammer-horror movies, star wars, his involvement in power metal albums etc.

He is one interesting guy.

As for Saruman, I didn't mind the changes made in the movie, but I was disappointed that they didn't explore Saruman's voice more. I enjoyed that chapter a lot.

I wonder how much of his manipulation we'll be seeing in this. I can't remember if he was evil yet...I believe he doesn't turn evil until the moment he realizes the ring still exists.

Either way, he's the head of the White Council. He's the man/maia in charge of the most powerful council of beings in ME.

I wonder if PJ is playing it as he's good until the very end of Hobbit when the dark side is hinted at, or if he'll be evil and scheming the entire time.

Kyaw said:
Aww man that video was great!

The chemistry between everyone was great.

PJ has an awesome ability to pull people together who grow into strong friendships. Maybe it's just being forced to live in NZ for a few years and needing to bond with other actors, but the behind the scenes of the LOTR movies showed some great stories of how deep their bonds became.

The 9 (JRD's stunt man actually) getting the 9 tattoo was particularly awesome.

bengraven said:
I wonder how much of his manipulation we'll be seeing in this. I can't remember if he was evil yet...I believe he doesn't turn evil until the moment he realizes the ring still exists.

Either way, he's the head of the White Council. He's the man/maia in charge of the most powerful council of beings in ME.

I wonder if PJ is playing it as he's good until the very end of Hobbit when the dark side is hinted at, or if he'll be evil and scheming the entire time.

I think he'll be seen as 'turning' throughout. Galadriel thought having him lead the White Council was a foolish move. He helped the White Council members only to help facilitate his search for The Ring. He was steadily more corrupt as time went on.

He was well aware of where the One Ring might be found before The White Council we'll see in this movie. His ambitions for power will already be well under way. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, he'll have been corrupted for hundreds of years already. Smeagol found The One Ring in the same year that he lead the first White Council and LOTR and The Hobbit took place hundreds of years after that event.

He'll probably be portrayed as acting good, but with his desires shown to the viewer, with only Galadriel suspecting him.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Galvanise_ said:
I think he'll be seen as 'turning' throughout. Galadriel thought having him lead the White Council was a foolish move. He helped the White Council members only to help facilitate his search for The Ring. He was steadily more corrupt as time went on.

He was well aware of where the One Ring might be found before The White Council we'll see in this movie. His ambitions for power will already be well under way. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, he'll have been corrupted for hundreds of years already. Smeagol found The One Ring in the same year that he lead the first White Council and LOTR and The Hobbit took place hundreds of years after that event.

He'll probably be portrayed as acting good, but with his desires shown to the viewer, with only Galadriel suspecting him.
He'd already started using the Palentir, thus encountered Sauron by the time of the White Council leadership debate, where he was chosen to lead.

Also, it seems like his animosity towards Gandalf reaches as far back as Valinor, when they were first chosen by the Valar.

From the Unfinished Tales: The Istari.
But two only came forward: Curumo, who was chosen by Aulë, and Alatar, who was sent by Oromë. Then Manwë asked, where was Olórin? And Olórin, who was clad in grey, and having just entered from a journey had seated himself at the edge of the council, asked what Manwë would have of him. Manwë replied that he wished Olórin to go as the third messenger to Middle-earth. But Olórin declared that he was too weak for such a task, and that he feared Sauron. Then Manwë said that that was all the more reason why he should go, and that he commanded Olórin. But Varda looked up and said "Not as the third;" and Curumo remembered it.
The seeds of jealousy/animosity were already planted, because Saruman seemed to be a very proud spirit even then. That pride and lust for power escalated in his time inhabiting Middle-Earth, eventually leading to his corruption and eventual ignominious downfall.

Well researched/remembered.

I think the White Council scenes would be a great place to demonstrate the power of Saruman. That is where I think they could hint of his deceptive voice.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès said:
He'd already started using the Palentir, thus encountered Sauron by the time of the White Council leadership debate, where he was chosen to lead.

Also, it seems like his animosity towards Gandalf reaches as far back as Valinor, when they were first chosen by the Valar.

From the Unfinished Tales: The Istari.

The seeds of jealousy/animosity were already planted, because Saruman seemed to be a very proud spirit even then. That pride and lust for power escalated in his time inhabiting Middle-Earth, eventually leading to his corruption and eventual ignominious downfall.

That's right, I completely forgot that last part...I believe a line similar was also in the Silmarillion and stuck with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom