• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Loxley said:
They added her because The Hobbit is practically devoid of any significant female characters. Much like The Lord of the Rings, it's a boy's club all around (some literary critics have pointed this out as Tolkien being vaguely sexist, but whatever).

I'm no expert, but could this stem from the fact that the time Tolkien spent fighting in the war had a huge impact on him? On the front lines it was all men, so I can see how he might, consciously or subconsciously, draw upon that as inspiration.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
jett said:
Any word on when a teaser might be hitting? I'm hoping for end of this year. In 48fps, preferably. :p
Thissssssssssssssssssssssss I need this in my veins.

Morn

Banned
jambo said:
I'm no expert, but could this stem from the fact that the time Tolkien spent fighting in the war had a huge impact on him? On the front lines it was all men, so I can see how he might, consciously or subconsciously, draw upon that as inspiration.

That's exactly it. The people who call his writing sexist are one step above on the ladder from the idiots who scream that he was racist.

Loxley

jett said:
Any word on when a teaser might be hitting? I'm hoping for end of this year. In 48fps, preferably. :p

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if a teaser hit with The Adventures of Tintin this December, given Jackson and WETA's involvement with the two films. Seems like a perfect fit.

Loxley said:
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if a teaser hit with The Adventures of Tintin this December, given Jackson and WETA's involvement with the two films. Seems like a perfect fit.

Except that the effects house and producer usually has no say in that kind of decision. If The Hobbit were a Dreamworks or Paramount feature, then maybe. But I'm expecting it with something else.

As for the main trailer? Will more than likely be attached to The Dark Knight Returns next year.

Where is our new videoblog?!

Edmond Dantès said:
You must excuse for me for my enthusiasm, but even small snippets of info are worth posting in my opinion.

A radio interview with Peter with some Hobbit related talk. Sounds as if they're currently filming the encounter with the Goblins.

http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Prime-Mi...ackson/tabid/506/articleID/23481/Default.aspx

That's actually the first thing they shot.

Andy Serkis is actually the director of the second unit, so after that he went on directing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New lady character huh? I'm not fussed, but really because I've seen enough terribad literature adaptations from screenwriters who are too busy trying to film the book shot-for-shot than make a, you know, film.

As long as the changes are not ridiculously drastic (eg: The Hobbit takes place on the moon), changes to make for a better cinema experience are good and should be welcomed.

Plus, Jackson and co have my full confidence they can change and add to the source material in a way that remains faithful and respectful.

I'm not particularly worried about Lilly's inclusion, she's a big enough fan of the source material and Jackson & co. know their shit.

Plus it will be nice to see a pretty face amidst the beards.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
can't wait to see Kate with elf ears, and hear her speak elvish.

agrajag

Banned
Meh, it's not like the new character is any worse than the random stuff they inserted into the LOTR adaptations. Like the bits with Aragorn's horse, the two Rohirrim kids, Pippin scaling the beacons, etc. Those parts were terribad. If anything, The Hobbit could benefit from some added complexity.

ckohler

I agree it's a minor issue. Sure, her character wasn't in the books but I don't get the impression as of yet that she'll be all that critical to the narrative. More like a footnote that Tolkien himself might have (but didn't, apparently) mention in an appendix somewhere.

I gotta say though, she totally looks like she could be an elf. She even looks a lot like Liv Tyler.

teiresias

EatChildren said:
As long as the changes are not ridiculously drastic (eg: The Hobbit takes place on the moon), changes to make for a better cinema experience are good and should be welcomed.

Unfortunately, in the script, Smaug is actually driven to attack Lake-town in a rage due to the Dwarves stealing the Lunar Whale from under the mountain in order to travel to the moon and fetch a mystical anvil from an ancient Dwarven settlement on the moon (a sister mine to Moria found under a crystal mountain).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
teiresias said:
Unfortunately, in the script, Smaug is actually driven to attack Lake-town in a range due to the Dwarves stealing the Lunar Whale from under the mountain in order to travel to the moon and fetch a mystical anvil from an ancient Dwarven settlement on the moon (a sister mine to Moria found under a crystal mountain).

But they don't have rights to The Silmarillion!

PersonaX

Edmond Dantès said:

This pleases Gandalf.

15wca2u.jpg

So many excellent actors. Can't wait to see the movies. The Hobbit is a great introduction to Tolkien's world. Hopefully they will do it as much justice as the LoTR trilogy. Which was for all it's changes a great adaptation of an unfilmable book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit to be filmed at Pelorus
Middle Earth is coming to Marlborough.

A scene from the first of two Hobbit movies from Sir Peter Jackson is to be shot near Pelorus Bridge, 60 kilometres west of Blenheim, over 10 days in December.

The Pelorus River will feature in a scene from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey showing barrels plunging down the river during a perilous journey undertaken by Bilbo Baggins and the dwarfs.

Major preparation for the shoot will start on October 31, with filming taking place between December 6 and December 16. However, there will be activity on location from production company 3 foot 7 from later today.

Marlborough mayor Alistair Sowman said the filming had been a secret and would provide an unparalleled promotional opportunity for one of Marlborough's most stunning scenic spots.

"We believe this film will take our scenery to an international audience on a scale beyond our imagination. We know from Matamata's experience that The Lord of the Rings boosted tourist numbers by tens of thousands over a period of several years."

The film is the first of two movies adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings has provided continuing high exposure for New Zealand in the British, north American and Australian tourist markets.

"This is going to be an opportunity for the magnificence of Marlborough's rivers and landscapes to be seen by a global audience and while we cannot quantify the value of that opportunity, it has got to be the ultimate travel promotion."

The exposure could lead to future film or advertising photography opportunities for Marlborough, Mr Sowman said.

The production company had to apply to Marlborough District Council for a resource consent to film at the river.

"They came to us and we were able to assist them to make this a seamless process. They have ticked all the boxes and it's full steam ahead. I don't know if they are calling for extras but I'll certainly try to watch from a distance." Supervising location manager Jared Connon said they had received a warm welcome from the Pelorus community since their first survey of the location.

"It is a unique location, rich with beautiful scenery, wildlife and history and it's a privilege for us to work there.

"We will treat it with the utmost respect and our thanks go out to all those who have assisted us in making filming possible."

Support, particularly from the operators of the Pelorus Bridge Cafe, Department of Conservation, Ngati Kuia, Forest and Bird Protection Society, council and the Pelorus residents, had been tremendous, he said.

Crew involved in the shoot are expected to travel in from Nelson each day.

There would be traffic controls on the state highway due to the extra vehicle movements around the location, Mr Sowman said.

"We are assured that everything will be completed well before the Christmas traffic peak begins.

"Besides, I believe the opportunities this presents will more than make up for any slowing of the traffic flow through the area."

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released on December 14 next year.

The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.
Source

Vej12.jpg

qcZRE.jpg

W7afJ.jpg

zkOZX.jpg

Looks like a beautiful location to me.

Macca

Edmond Dantès said:
The Hobbit to be filmed at Pelorus

Source

Looks like a beautiful location to me.
It's a very gorgeous spot. Went there on my high school camp, went swimming right in that river. Cant' wait to see it in the movie. :D

Scullibundo said:
This is going to be a beautiful fucking movie.

In 48fps.

In Digital 3D.

Goddamn.

About a year from now do you think enough theaters will be able to handle 48FPS? Is it a difficult process to switch over to?

Tobor

Scullibundo said:
This is going to be a beautiful fucking movie.

In 48fps.

In Digital 3D.

Goddamn.
I just realized, I'm not going to be able to see this in 48fps in 2D, am I? That blows.

Expendable. said:
About a year from now do you think enough theaters will be able to handle 48FPS? Is it a difficult process to switch over to?

Well apparently its just a software upgrade for MOST digital projectors. In reality I think we'd be lucky if half of the digital-capable theaters screen the film in 48fps.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Filming at Matamata

3SLbg.png

Film crews are now at Matamata's Hobbiton film set as location shooting on Peter Jackson's two-part fantasy epic The Hobbit begins in earnest – and the movie's stars might not be far away.

One of two convoys laden with film gear arrived in Matamata's Buckland Rd at the weekend, while the other headed to Queenstown from Sir Peter's Miramar studios.

While production company 3 Foot 7 retains a tighter grip on information than Gollum on a certain ring, one nearby resident who declined to be named said the convoy started arriving on Saturday afternoon.

He estimated about 50 trucks and smaller vehicles towing caravans and a mobile generator wound their way up Buckland Rd and onto the film set over 24 hours.

As if by some Gandalf-esque spell, or perhaps because of Sir Peter's keen eye for secluded filming locations, none were visible from the road or neighbouring properties once at the set. Nor were any stars.

"Knowing what they did last time this is like a prelude to get things set up," the resident said. "I expect they'll helicopter them [big name actors] in."

The film crew is already in Matamata, and on Sunday about six of them called in for a coffee at the Espresso To Go cafe on Broadway.

"They were a really artistic bunch, fun with a lot of energy," said cafe owner Jackie Anderson. "But we didn't realise who they were until they were leaving and one of them mentioned something about waiting for the sets to arrive."

If the Hobbit stays true to its literary origins Martin Freeman of The Office fame (Bilbo Baggins) and acclaimed British actors Sir Ian McKellan (Gandalf) and James Nesbitt (Bofur) could be expected to appear, as their characters meet in Hobbiton.

However, there seemed to be little Hollywood buzz so far in Matamata.

A security guard materialised at the front gate late last week once the Hobbiton set had been closed to visitors and a few traffic signs and road cones had sprouted like Middle Earth mushrooms to deal with an expected increase in traffic on the narrow country service road.

"There's certainly no rubberneckers," remarked the Times' observer. But even during The Lord of the Rings filming in the summer of 1999-2000 few had attracted much attention.

"Some of the stars used to walk through Matamata and not be noticed. There was little public interest last time. I think that was because there was this guy called Peter Jackson dreaming of doing three films together and no-one knew much about him or about Lord of the Rings."

The filmmakers have consent for shooting at Hobbiton lasting no more than 15 days before November 8, with other crews also working around the country, including the western side of Mt Ruapehu from November 6, when crew will be based for two weeks in the Turoa skifield car park.

Hobbit-like feet also look set to make an appearance in the King Country with Te Kuiti motels also well-booked with crew for the first week of November.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released on December 14 next year. The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release on December 13, 2013.
Source

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wakatipu filming may well happen

UOvfL.png

Middle-Earth appears to be returning to the Wakatipu if construction in a remote valley is anything to go by.

A three-storey wooden set and smaller structure are being built on private land beyond Glenorchy, 66km from Queenstown.

Security staff guarding the gate are turning away tourists and telling them the road does not give access to the nearby unsignposted Paradise estate.

A large marquee, a smaller tent, an articulated truck, four shipping containers, two earth-movers and portable cabins were seen across the paddock from the unsealed road several hundred metres away.

The activity corresponded with resource consent applications lodged by The Hobbit production company Three Foot Seven Ltd last month for filming involving "over 200 people" between early October and mid-December.

The locations listed were Arcadia Station and Paradise, with an extra site on Tucker Beach, by the Shotover River near Queenstown, as well as flight plans for filming on Greenstone Station by Lake Wakatipu.

In the Queenstown Events Centre in late September, hundreds of people of all shapes, sizes and ages answered advertisements for extras with "character faces" for an undisclosed shoot understood to be The Hobbit in late October, late November or early December.

Executive producer, writer and director Sir Peter Jackson, his cast and crew, began the second stint shooting the two fantasy feature films on September 5, according to his production video posted online.

The Queenstown area was mentioned as one of the locations scouted for the ancient Mirkwood forest and the Valley of Anduin grasslands.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is scheduled for release on December 14, 2012. The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is due to be released on December 13, 2013.
Source

That's probably Beorn's hall.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Unseen drawings by J R R Tolkien published this week throw new light on an old classic
The Art of the Hobbit reveals Tolkien's visual imagination through 100 works. Photograph: JRR Tolkien, courtesy of the Tolkien estate/HarperCollins

A swath of JRR Tolkien's original illustrations for The Hobbit are to be published for the first time this week as part of celebrations to mark the 75th anniversary of the book's publication.

The published version of The Hobbit includes around 20 illustrations by its author, as well as the well-known dust jacket painting of the mountains which Bilbo Baggins passes through on his adventures. But when HarperCollins began preparing for the book's 75th anniversary next year, the publisher discovered Tolkien had actually created more than 100 illustrations, which lay buried in his archive at the Bodleian Library in Oxford and were only recently digitised.

"That was a surprise. I thought there might be 40-50 in total," said publisher David Brawn. "But there are 110 Hobbit pictures, about two dozen of which haven't been published before."

Ranging from line drawings in ink to watercolours and sketches, the collected drawings will be published on 27 October as The Art of the Hobbit. HarperCollins hopes the collection and the anniversary will shed new light on the fantasy author – and on his first novel.

"It includes his conceptual sketches for the cover design, a couple of early versions of the maps and pages where he's experimenting with the runic forms, as well as a couple of manuscript pages," said Brawn. "It shows that Tolkien's creativity went beyond the writing, that it was a fully thought out conception. When he writes about the hobbit hole ["In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort"], he's designed it as well. And by doing that, it makes his description more vivid ... Tolkien was an accomplished amateur artist. He was a great admirer of Arthur Rackham and you can see a little bit of that style coming through."

Although The Hobbit was first published in September 1937, Tolkien delivered the manuscript to his publishers in October 1936, so HarperCollins feels justified in kicking off its anniversary celebrations early.

New editions of the novel itself are also lined up for publication this month. The publisher hopes to bring attention back to The Hobbit in advance of the much-anticipated release of Peter Jackson's film next year.

"People have celebrated Tolkien as a writer for years – you haven't been able to get away from him since all the books of the century polls," said Brawn. "But The Lord of the Rings has always been the focus since it was published in 1954 – it's a much more grown-up, significant book. It has overshadowed The Hobbit as a more old-fashioned, children's book, which has become known in the context of The Lord of the Rings. The anniversary allows us to move the spotlight back on to the book which started it all."
Source

CL9hK.jpg

VypXY.jpg

nBphe.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007440812/

Platy

Awesome drawings !
Tolkien sure was a multi talented person =3

And .. love how they are still building sets in this cg filled era

Tobor said:
I just realized, I'm not going to be able to see this in 48fps in 2D, am I? That blows.

You will only be able to see in 48 fps in 2d ... the 3d version will be 30 fps
I don't believe that i'm the first to make that crap joke =P

Kud Dukan

Edmond Dantès said:
And the pièce de résistance:

The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition

Nice! It's even got the original version of the 'Riddles in the Dark' chapter! Definitely going to get a hold of one of those.

How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart...you know there is no going back?

Tears every goddamn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom