• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
John Rhys-Davies could make an appearance in The Hobbit.
HeyUGuys: Ahh, I didn’t know that! We saw you on set in the latest Peter Jackson Production diary. What was it like going back and is there any chance you might cameo in it?

JRD: I would love to! I’ve had a great sort of 180 degree turn. After I did The Lord of the Rings, I didn’t want to get near prosthetic masks ever again, I still don’t really, and I didn’t want to play a dwarf to be honest with you. Why be one of thirteen when you can be one of one. As time comes between you and the horrors of that make-up, slowly you begin to see things through rather rosy spectacles. I did go down and see him (Jackson) and I did come as close to grovelling as you can get (Laughs!). I’m sure that Peter knows that I grovelled!

HeyUGuys: So you haven’t had confirmation that you’re in it yet?

JRD: I haven’t had confirmation that I’m not, but realistically I’m not. It sure would be sweet if one could. Let me tell you about it…..

I believe Peter Jackson has everything that a Director needs. His organizational ability alone is completely remarkable. I think it will change the way films are made. I think he’s upping the game for every other film-maker in the world. Projecting in 48 frames alone is going to give a level of clarity that we’ve never had in film before, and I think he’s housebreaking 3d. He is such a grounded level man with all the characteristics that a great Director must have. Added to which, he built a film industry from scratch to an international level. Marvellous intelligence and a marvellous modest nature, Peter has got it all!
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2011/08/1...of-resistance-indy-5-returning-to-the-hobbit/

I could see him making an appearance as one of the men of Lake-town.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What a legend.

Mobius 1

Movies are ruined - George Lucas was spotted on the production studio:

ScreenShot2011-08-18at124315AM.png

Ponti

Norante said:
Movies are ruined - George Lucas was spotted on the production studio:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z72/Norante/ScreenShot2011-08-18at124315AM.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Careful. He looks so much like him people might actually believe you.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Art of the Hobbit 75th Anniversary Slipcased edition

Bl6eB.jpg

Press release
To celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, a sumptuous full colour art book containing the complete collection of more than 100 Hobbit sketches, drawings, paintings and maps by J.R.R. Tolkien.

When J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit, he was already an accomplished amateur artist, and drew illustrations for his book while it was still in manuscript. The Hobbit as first printed had ten black and white pictures, two maps, and binding and dust-jacket designs by its author. Later, Tolkien also painted five scenes for colour plates which are some of his best work. His illustrations for The Hobbit add an extra dimension to that remarkable book, and have long influenced how readers imagine Bilbo Baggins and his world. To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, the complete artwork created by the author for his story has been collected in The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Including related pictures, more than one hundred sketches, drawings, paintings, maps, and plans are presented here, preliminary and alternate versions and experimental designs as well as finished art. Some of these images are now published for the first time, and others for the first time in colour. Fresh digital scans from the Bodleian Libraries in Oxford and Marquette University in Wisconsin allow Tolkien’s Hobbit pictures to be seen more vividly than ever before. The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien has been written and edited by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, two of the leading experts on Tolkien and authors of the acclaimed J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator, The Lord of the Rings: A Reader’s Companion, and The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.
Release date: 27 Oct 2011

Thought this would interest Tolkien fans. I know I'll be adding it to my collection.

temp

posting on contract only
I feel like I'm gonna like these movies more than LOTR just because of Martin Freeman. He's gonna play such a good lead.

Amir0x

Banned
Edmond Dantès said:
The Art of the Hobbit 75th Anniversary Slipcased edition

Bl6eB.jpg

Press release

Release date: 27 Oct 2011

Thought this would interest Tolkien fans. I know I'll be adding it to my collection.

Definitely mine

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Del Toro clarifies The Hobbit decision.
Del Toro: “It was like a little Monty Python cartoon, a year later, two years later. It kept going and going and going in a way that it really became personally, professionally completely not manageable in a way to continue. I just wish them the best. I’m super happy they’re shooting. I think the things I’m looking at that are coming out are fantastic. So I think it’s going to be a great movie, but what I couldn’t do was go from three, four years or five years to looking like a threshold of six or more years invested in it.”
Source

inky

That's too bad, as we'll never see his Hobbit version now, but I wonder how much of it was that he though ATMoM was really happening and not the time as he claims... =/

Either way, it's been too long since we've seen anything by Del Toro, and I'm just glad he is finally making something. On the other hand, Jackson's version will end up being sublime no doubt. Can't wait.

Amir0x

Banned
I would have liked to see his take on it, certainly, although I'm not entirely sure it would have been the Hobbit I wanted considering the previous films. The way it is now, I feel we'll get a vision that is even more consistent with the original trilogy, which is how I want it.

Amir0x said:
I would have liked to see his take on it, certainly, although I'm not entirely sure it would have been the Hobbit I wanted considering the previous films. The way it is now, I feel we'll get a vision that is even more consistent with the original trilogy, which is how I want it.
Agreed. I love Del Toro but the consistancy of the whole movie set was a big thing for me when they first talked about it. It would have been interesting but I think I loved the production staff for TLOTR so much that I think it's for the best.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Evangeline Lilly on her role as Tauriel.
Now you’re in New Zealand filming The Hobbit with Peter Jackson. It’s a long commitment which would make some actors balk. Was that a concern?

“I will be in and out of New Zealand for the course of a year. It worked out well. For a lot of actors, being that tied down would be problematic for their careers because they wouldn’t have the freedom to take any other part in the meantime. For me it’s perfect because I want to have time to spend with my family and relax and focus on my writing. This role gives me a framework within which to do that because I’m not working all the time but I’m working enough. When you’re not working at all, you get lost in space and time and don’t accomplish anything. It’s a flexible work environment and I don’t have to be estranged from my family.”

When you played Kate you were always doing physical scenes and stunts. How are you prepping for The Hobbit?

“With every film, you have to educate yourself on the material and it’s often things you don’t know a lot about. Right now I’m studying Elvish and having conversations with people about learning how to be an archer, a swordsperson and how to fight like an elf instead of a gritty convict.” [Laughs]

Did you have any reservations about joining The Hobbit cast?

“With The Hobbit, it was a no-brainer because I have been a fan of those books since I was 13-years-old.”

Being a fan of the books, what did you make of Jackson’s Lord Of The Rings trilogy and all the changes he mad to the story?

“When the original came out in theatres, I swore up and down that I would not see them because I thought it was sacrilege that anyone would adapt Tolkien’s work. I didn’t think anyone would justify films by making them as good as they should be. Then my entire family when I was visiting went to see the movie and so I relented and went. We were all fans of the books and we were all blown away! It was a little piece of magic what Peter Jackson accomplished because it was truly a homage to the books rather than an offense.”

Tauriel is a new character in the mythology so as a book purist yourself that must be frightening to ponder how fans will react to your part?

“Yeah! I am very concerned to this day that people will watch the film and I’ll be the black mark on the film. I know how adamant the purists are and I’m one of them! That said, upon reading The Hobbit again, as an adult, I can see why additional characters were needed to round out the story as an adaptation – especially female characters! The Hobbit didn’t include female characters at all and was a very linear story, a book for children, really. What Peter, Fran (Walsh) and Philippa (Boyens) have done is all in perfect keeping with Tolkien’s world, while adding a third dimension to an otherwise very two-dimensional story.”
Source

I am so fucking hyped for The Hobbit.

Its amazing that there is a ridiculous amount of drool-worthy releases next year - many which would make my most anticipated of any other respective year. Yet for me, those other gems just become the appetizers, the side dishes that keep one occupied until I can get my teeth into Peter Jackson's ever expanding, love filled teat.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Scullibundo said:
I am so fucking hyped for The Hobbit.

Its amazing that there is a ridiculous amount of drool-worthy releases next year - many which would make my most anticipated of any other respective year. Yet for me, those other gems just become the appetizers, the side dishes that keep one occupied until I can get my teeth into Peter Jackson's ever expanding, love filled teat.
Yes, nothing compares.

I wasn't able to follow the production of the LOTR trilogy, so I'm savouring all the snippets released by Peter and co. Just over a year to go now.

rar

BruceLeeRoy said:
Why would the dwarves be CG? Have you ever seen LOTR?

i saw the pictures and i didn't recognize any of the faces as the actors, it was a pretty dumb question but it still amazes me how good the prosthetics and makeup look, and doing that to 13 people is pretty crazy

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jokergrin said:
What the heck is a Tauriel
Roughly meaning Daughter of the Forest in Elvish.

She'll probably be present during Bilbo and dwarves' escape from Thranduil's dungeon and might make an appearance during the Battle of the Five Armies.

Loxley

Qwomo said:
A character they're making specifically for the movie.

Which is idiotic.

From a sticking-to-the-book standpoint, sure. But from a mass-market Hollywood movie standpoint, it makes plenty of sense. They added her because The Hobbit is practically devoid of any significant female characters. Much like The Lord of the Rings, it's a boy's club all around (some literary critics have pointed this out as Tolkien being vaguely sexist, but whatever).

It's why they gave Arwen a much larger role in the movies and played up the love story between her and Aragorn, they needed something to draw in the female crowd, and it worked.

That's honestly why I don't have any real issue with them adding in a new female character, I have serious doubts she'll heavily effect the story. She'll likely just take part in events that were already going to happen anyway.

*Edit - Yeah, what Edmond said.

Ponti

That's pretty awesome for just 3k. Hope their lack of any building experience doesn't bite them in the ass at some point down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom