• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Trailer to debut on Tuesday
Briefly: While its been reported before that the very first official trailer for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, due out in December 2012, would be debuting in front of Adventures of Tintin starting next week, word is that it might be online the day before. USA Today is reporting that Warner Bros has set satellite premiere times, meaning they're ready to deliver this thing, for next Tuesday, December 20th. That likely means it'll be online that day, if not by Monday evening, so stay tuned next week as there will be a lot of big trailers hitting the web (The Dark Knight Rises, too). And as always, you know FS.net will be the first to post them as soon as they're officially available! In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...
Source

Doesn't TDKR trailer also launch on Tuesday? Excellent.

The Hobbit will get the real hype going.

I still remember when everybody was anticipating the Return of the King trailer which had a firm date. Then out of nowhere WB decided to release the trailer for The Matrix Revolutions on the same day. That was a good day.

JdFoX187

Banned
Doesn't TDKR trailer also launch on Tuesday? Excellent.

The Hobbit will get the real hype going.

I still remember when everybody was anticipating the Return of the King trailer which had a firm date. Then out of nowhere WB decided to release the trailer for The Matrix Revolutions on the same day. That was a good day.
Too bad The Matrix Revolutions didn't live up to the hype of the trailer. Don't think we'll have that problem with either movie trailer releasing this year.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
looks like shit just got real.
tuesday can't come soon enough!

bengraven

Freeman makes an awesome Bilbo. I'm actually okay with them eventually putting a 10 second clip of him grabbing the ring in the prologue of the LOTR.

Also, I have a feeling this trailer is going to get leaked today and while I'm three hours from my computer with my not-so smart phone.

Erigu

I'm actually okay with them eventually putting a 10 second clip of him grabbing the ring in the prologue of the LOTR.
I am as well, but I was wondering: would that (or some kind of über Blu-ray box of both titles) actually be possible? The movies are distributed by Warner, this time around, aren't they? Would that cause some issues on that front?

Has Dain II been cast yet? Its hard to have the battle of five armies without five complete armies.

I hope they don't cut Dain's appearance out. It would be totally fuck awesome to hear a massive dwarven war cry during the battle and see loads of dwarves march down on the enemy.

JdFoX187

Banned
I am as well, but I was wondering: would that (or some kind of über Blu-ray box of both titles) actually be possible? The movies are distributed by Warner, this time around, aren't they? Would that cause some issues on that front?

Warner Bros. owns New Line. So they could do it if they wanted to.

Daft_Cat

The pictures aren't doing much for me, visually.

I've read The Hobbit, and in some ways I actually prefer it to The Lord of the Rings, but Jackson's original trilogy was so good and the scale of it all was just so huge..that I can't help but feel underwhelmed. I'm sure I'll be wrong.

I like that the this seems to feel a bit more like FotR..I love that movie. Each film definitely had its own flavour, and while I don't like any single part more than the other, I wouldn't object to a return to the more adventurous beats of Fellowship.

I hope they match Moria's scale along for all its darkness and grandeur. That part blew me away as a kid. Maybe the Misty Mountains will come close?

At the same time, I'm worried that my expectations are so coloured by the previous films.

agrajag

Banned
The pictures aren't doing much for me, visually.

I've read The Hobbit, and in some ways I actually prefer it to The Lord of the Rings, but Jackson's original trilogy was so good and the scale of it all was just so huge..that I can't help but feel underwhelmed. I'm sure I'll be wrong.

I like that the this seems to feel a bit more like FotR..I love that movie. Each film definitely had its own flavour, and while I don't like any single part more than the other, I wouldn't object to a return to the more adventurous beats of Fellowship.

I hope they match Moria's scale along for all its darkness and grandeur. That part blew me away as a kid. Maybe the Misty Mountains will come close?

At the same time, I'm worried that my expectations are so coloured by the previous films.

I don't understand why you'd be concerned. The Hobbit is being filmed in the same epic style that TLOTR, everything is going to be bigger and better in this movie.

Daft_Cat

I don't understand why you'd be concerned. The Hobbit is being filmed in the same epic style that TLOTR, everything is going to be bigger and better in this movie.

I guess it's just that the stakes aren't as high.

I'm not necessarily concerned..I'm sure they'll be great films all the same.

I hope this has a much smaller scale then the LOTR films, not everything needs to have thousand man battles ever hour.

I hope this has a much smaller scale then the LOTR films, not everything needs to have thousand man battles ever hour.

It won't be. You only have the battle of the five armies at the end, and that's probably film two.

If anything it will be more akin to FOTR, but with a larger emphasis on character development/interactions etc.

It will be epic, but in an environmental scale.

Least that's what I'm hoping for.

Kyaw

Didn't they say that they've already passed the budget of the WHOLE LotR trilogy for The Hobbit?

I'm liking those pictures too. It's going to be a great adventure.

Didn't they say that they've already passed the budget of the WHOLE LotR trilogy for The Hobbit?

I'm liking those pictures too. It's going to be a great adventure.

All three LOTR movies cost $281 million, making just under $3 billion at the box office.

Both Hobbit movies total $500 million.

Kyaw

Goddamn. Is it costing more because of the technology or because of the scale?

It can't be scale, right? (I've never read the Hobbit)

Loxley

Well, each of the LotR films had a separate budget of nearly $100 million, for a total of $300 million. I could see both entries of the Hobbit having budgets of at least $150 million each, especially because Warner Bros. has to know these movies are going to make a shitload of money.

Bare in mind the latest Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean films both had budgets of over $200 million.

*edit = Yeah, what Galvanise_ said.

Zeliard

Yeah the cost is probably going to be partly due to the new technology they're incoporating.

But the shooting schedule is also a massive 250 or so days, which is similar to LOTR.

These movies are gonna big, rest assured.

Well, each of the LotR films had a separate budget of $100 million, for a total of $300 million. I could see both entries of the Hobbit having budgets of at least $150 million each, especially because Warner Bros. has to know these movies are going to make a shitload of money.

Bare in mind the latest Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean films both had budgets of over $200 million.

Yeah, but a lot of that was because of big name stars.
The Hobbit doesn't have a Johnny Depp or a LeBouf eating up budget.

They must be using one billion gamecubes duct taped together to produce the special effects.

That's silly. They could just get 500 Million Wiis for much cheaper, and they come with NSMBW!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, The budget thing is crazy. Isn't it far cheaper to shoot digitally, as well?

Yeah, but a lot of that was because of big name stars.
The Hobbit doesn't have a Johnny Depp or a LeBouf eating up budget.

It has a much larger cast list which will probably drag the wage bill over their demands. The prices that each of the LOTR actors can draw actually went up because of the success of LOTR.

GCX

The budget is bigger because of the technology and because of the simple fact that the film is guaranteed to make money.

Jackson would've never gotten a budget like this for LOTR since the whole trilogy was a gigantic risk for everyone involved. It's amazing what he was able to do with the money he was given to. Compared to the scope of the movies it had a shoestring budget in many ways. Filming all the movies back to back saved a ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom