• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;33455564 said:
It's been pretty slow news wise, but I'm sure the trailer thread will explode with excitement. I mean this is going to be THE biggest film of 2012, which is a very lofty year for releases. But this will stand head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

biggest in terms of budget or gross? have a feeling TDKR will outweigh it in the latter category.

PersonaX

Edmond Dantès;33455351 said:
Just a few days left until the trailer hits and exactly one year until the first film's release. Haven't been this excited for a trailer for a long time.

Who's going to feature in the trailer? What scenes will be shown? What kind of music will be used? How long will it be? Will it be of an epic nature? Will there be a sense of foreboding? Will Tolkien's famous first sentence be used? Will either Smaug or the Necromancer be mentioned? Will we see a tantalising view of the Lonely Mountain?
Will Gollum feature as well? Will we see a glimpse of the Arkenstone of Thorin?

So many questions will be answered.

http://news.mymiddle-earth.net/2011/12/12/fans-reactions-to-hobbit-trailer/

Two days ago, audiences at the Butt-Numb-A-Thon geek film festival in Texas were shown the teaser trailer for The Hobbit, and Twitter has been buzzing with fan reactions ever since.
The trailer, originally set to hit U.S. theaters this Christmas with the release of The Adventures of Tintin, was presented by Elijah Wood and Eric Vespe (“Quint” from Ain’t It Cool News), who has been reporting from the set of The Hobbit for the past few months.

While Vespe could not physically attend the film festival, he did send along a video of messages from the set of The Hobbit. Jordan Hoffman of IFC News wrote that, “Sir Ian McKellan appeared in costume as Gandalf the Grey and, through the magic of cinema (and some pyrotechnics in the theater) Vespe appeared in the flesh,” and that, “As a gag, he handed the hard drive containing the trailer to frequent BNAT attendee Elijah Wood to bring to the projection room, adding, “keep it secret, keep it safe.””

Hoffman also added that, “Hearing the music and seeing The Shire I was surprised at the flood of emotions that hit me. It was like seeing old friends. (And something to look out for: a band of Dwarves sing. It’s a thing of beauty.)”

TheOneRing.net described the trailer as, “pretty much the Holy Grail for HOBBIT fans who have waited a decade to see a first glimpse of Peter Jackson’s return to Middle-earth.”

Those who had seen the trailer were asked not to go into specific detail about what they had seen. One staff member from AICN, Nordling, commented on the nature of the trailer, stating that “it’s more character-based than epic, but it’s like slipping into a warm embrace from a very old friend that you haven’t seen in many years.”

I wasn't expecting any epic shots of dragons and whatnot, so i'm not surprised by these news.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think The Hobbit has a bit more international appeal than DKR.
Yes, the book is the third best selling book of all time behind the single volume LOTR edition. But will the love and adoration that the book has enjoyed over the years create huge interest in the films? Well, if the LOTR trilogy is anything to go by; then yes.

J_incredible

Neo Member
The new production diary #4 is great. The details about 5k resolution 3D capturing, 40 fps, and designs in clothing / environments is astonishing. Really excited for this film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Official synopsis released by WB.
From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first of two films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. The second film will be The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

Both films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before The Lord of the Rings, which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers.

Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities … A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins. Also reprising their roles from The Lord of the Rings movies are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; and Andy Serkis as Gollum.

The ensemble cast also includes (in alphabetical order) Richard Armitage, John Bell, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Luke Evans, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Barry Humphries, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Evangeline Lilly, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas, and Aidan Turner.

The screenplays for both The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again are by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Ken Kamins, Toby Emmerich and Zane Weiner, with Boyens serving as co-producer.
Under Jackson’s direction, both movies are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Among the creative behind-the-scenes team returning to Jackson’s crew are director of photography Andrew Lesnie, production designer Dan Hennah, conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe, composer Howard Shore and make-up and hair designer Peter King. The costumes are designed by Ann Maskrey and Richard Taylor. The score is being composed by Howard Shore.

Taylor is also overseeing the design and production of weaponry, armour and prosthetics which are once again being made by the award winning Weta Workshop. Weta Digital take on the visual effects for both films, led by the film’s visual effects supervisor, Joe Letteri. Post production will take place at Park Road Post Production in Wellington.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing, being handled by MGM.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released beginning December 14, 2012. The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, beginning December 13, 2013.
Source

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
More trailer details.
HOBBIT (THE)
Date Classified: Dec 14, 2011
Film Number: 2000098669
Distributor / Submitter / Exhibitor: WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT CANADA INC.
Running Time (min): 2
Format: INTERNET
Language: ENGLISH
Classification: GENERAL
Content Advisories:
Detailed Observations: ? Suspenseful situations with short scenes or glimpses of scary characters or images usually in comedic, fantasy or historic setting
- Sensitive to scenes and situations related to child?s security
- Tobacco use
- Restrained portrayals of limited violence
Seems like we'll see Gandalf and his trusty pipe and maybe even a glimpse of one of the main villains or goblins.

Amir0x

Banned
I am trying very hard not to get excited but considering my near boundless LOTR/Hobbit fanboyery, it's....starting to become impossible. Oh how happy I am to have this experience again. Waiting for the original three movies was like three straight years of bliss.

apparently on aicn from the people who saw the trailer they described it as "more endearing than epic"

as in it's geared more towards fans of the trilogy more than anything else.

Fuck yea my second most anticipated trailer, only trailing Avatar 2.

Good thing I'm unfamiliar with the story of The Hobbit won't be expecting anything! For those that are familiar, are there any huge epic battles ala Helms Deep?

Good thing I'm unfamiliar with the story of The Hobbit won't be expecting anything! For those that are familiar, are there any huge epic battles ala Helms Deep?

Haven't read the book, but what I remember from the animated film is a battle on a much larger scale than anything in the LOTR trilogy. If there's two Hobbit movies I'm guessing it will be in the second one though? I don't know, can't totally recall the plot that well.

Haven't read the book, but what I remember from the animated film is a battle on a much larger scale than anything in the LOTR trilogy. If there's two Hobbit movies I'm guessing it will be in the second one though? I don't know, can't totally recall the plot that well.

Battle of the Five Armies isn't even a tenth of the scale of the Battle of Pelennor Fields (assault on Minas Tirith)

Five armies: roughly 8'000 participants
Pelennor: roughly 200'000 participants

Will still be awesome, my hype is massive for this

thefro

It's much smaller, actually. Probably 10,000 combatants max if you go by the books.

I suspect they'll blow it up a little bit for the movie but it's still going to be an order of magnitude smaller than ROTK.

Battle of the Five Armies isn't even a tenth of the scale of the Battle of Pelennor Fields (assault on Minas Tirith)

Man, I need to watch that trilogy again. I guess I was just thinking about the number of armies being the impressive thing. I wonder if the actual number of combatants will be inflated in the films.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Five armies: roughly 8'000 participants
Pelennor: roughly 200'000 participants

Will still be awesome, my hype is massive for this
Indeed, but it will be the first time we see a dwarven army on the big screen, which will certainly be interesting. The Naugrim were notoriously vicious warriors and that reflected in their weapons and armour. I'm really looking forward to what the weapons and armour team come up with. If the details and the workmanship are anything like the LOTR trilogy, then it'll be superb.

Getting really hyped knowing the trailer may premiere this weekend, perhaps when I watch Mission in Impossible At midnight!

Can someone answer this. Is there anywhere online where I can read The Silmarillion? Would love to read anything concerning the LOTR universe.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Getting really hyped knowing the trailer may premiere this weekend, perhaps when I watch Mission in Impossible At midnight!

Can someone answer this. Is there anywhere online where I can read The Silmarillion? Would love to read anything concerning the LOTR universe.

A good and pretty thorough guide to anything and everything related to Tolkien's legandarium.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp

Another site that solely focuses on the Silmarillion.

http://home.comcast.net/~mithrandircq/Silmarillion-Chronology.htm

And to get you started; the chapters of the Silmarillion. Use this as a reference for topics that may interest you.

The creation story

Ainulindalë

An introduction to the Powers of Arda

Valaquenta

The main bulk of the text, known as the Quenta Silmarillion

Of the Beginning of Days
Of Aulë and Yavanna
Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Of Thingol and Melian
Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Edalië
Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
Of the Darkening of Valinor
Of the Flight of the Noldor
Of the Sindar
Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
Of Men
Of the Return of the Noldor
Of Beleriand and Its Realms
Of the Noldor in Beleriand
Of Maeglin
Of the Coming of Men into the West
Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
Of Beren and Lúthien
Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
Of Túrin Turambar
Of the Ruin of Doriath
Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

Sauron rises to become the new Dark Lord

Akallabêth: The Downfall of Númenor

Lord of the Rings in the style of the Silmarillion, albeit much shorter.

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Tolkien's created Universe had so much depth, so you'll be hooked for hours. Have fun!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Another thing you should check out is the Silmarillion artwork by the likes of Ted Nasmith. I'll get you started with this famous image depicting the fight between Melkor (in his Dark Lord visage) against Fingolfin (a mighty Elf Lord)

6kYlg.jpg

apana

I remember being part of a hobbit play in middle school. I think I was some kind of king. The good thing is that I can't remember any of the story other than they are looking for some loot and some guy gets whacked.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hobbit trailer spoilers from someone who's seen the trailer.

Starts with Bilbo (Ian Holm!!) talking to Frodo (Elijah Wood) at Bag End about his "adventures" and how he didn't tell him everything.

Shows Gandalf making his proposition to young Bilbo and introducing all 13 dwarves by name as it cuts to each.

Bilbo protests of course, because Bagginses belong at Bag End.

The "big" scene is the dwarves, led by Thorin, singing a long slow song. I didn't catch all the words, but I have to assume it's from the book. Very ominous tone.

Lots of images in a montage, of travelling and fighting. I think I saw some goblins, and maybe some troll legs, but it went by quickly. Some creepy ruins--looked almost like Moria, but without the majesty. I wasn't sure if it was underground in the goblin stronghold or something else. Dol Guldur?

There is definitely Rivendell and the shards of Narsil and maybe Elrond, but again, I can't be sure.

No Smaug at all. No hints at plot, really. No Beorn that I could see. Not even any spiders, although I think I saw some creepy woods. One of my favorite scenes was the dwarves cleaning Bilbo's dishes after dinner. Expect some acrobatic dishes :)

Thorin is depicted as a bit callous--he tells Gandalf he can't guarantee his safe return. Gandalf agrees, and Thorin adds "Nor will I be responsible for his fate."

It ends with Gandalf saying to Bilbo that if he returns, he may be changed--this is in voiceover while we see THE RING, and Gollum climbing behind Bilbo in the cave.

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;33499384 said:
Hobbit trailer spoilers from someone who's seen the trailer.

Starts with Bilbo (Ian Holm!!) talking to Frodo (Elijah Wood) at Bag End about his "adventures" and how he didn't tell him everything.

Shows Gandalf making his proposition to young Bilbo and introducing all 13 dwarves by name as it cuts to each.

Bilbo protests of course, because Bagginses belong at Bag End.

The "big" scene is the dwarves, led by Thorin, singing a long slow song. I didn't catch all the words, but I have to assume it's from the book. Very ominous tone.

Lots of images in a montage, of travelling and fighting. I think I saw some goblins, and maybe some troll legs, but it went by quickly. Some creepy ruins--looked almost like Moria, but without the majesty. I wasn't sure if it was underground in the goblin stronghold or something else. Dol Guldur?

There is definitely Rivendell and the shards of Narsil and maybe Elrond, but again, I can't be sure.

No Smaug at all. No hints at plot, really. No Beorn that I could see. Not even any spiders, although I think I saw some creepy woods. One of my favorite scenes was the dwarves cleaning Bilbo's dishes after dinner. Expect some acrobatic dishes :)

Thorin is depicted as a bit callous--he tells Gandalf he can't guarantee his safe return. Gandalf agrees, and Thorin adds "Nor will I be responsible for his fate."

It ends with Gandalf saying to Bilbo that if he returns, he may be changed--this is in voiceover while we see THE RING, and Gollum climbing behind Bilbo in the cave.

:O

Edmond Dantès;33498269 said:
A good and pretty thorough guide to anything and everything related to Tolkien's legandarium.

Another site that solely focuses on the Silmarillion.

http://home.comcast.net/~mithrandirc...Chronology.htm

And to get you started; the chapters of the Silmarillion. Use this as a reference for topics that may interest you.

The creation story

Ainulindalë

An introduction to the Powers of Arda

Valaquenta

The main bulk of the text, known as the Quenta Silmarillion

Of the Beginning of Days
Of Aulë and Yavanna
Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Of Thingol and Melian
Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Edalië
Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
Of the Darkening of Valinor
Of the Flight of the Noldor
Of the Sindar
Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
Of Men
Of the Return of the Noldor
Of Beleriand and Its Realms
Of the Noldor in Beleriand
Of Maeglin
Of the Coming of Men into the West
Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
Of Beren and Lúthien
Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
Of Túrin Turambar
Of the Ruin of Doriath
Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

Sauron rises to become the new Dark Lord

Akallabêth: The Downfall of Númenor

Lord of the Rings in the style of the Silmarillion, albeit much shorter.

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Tolkien's created Universe had so much depth, so you'll be hooked for hours. Have fun!

Holy shit. Thanks Ed I really appreciate it. Can't wait to soak it all in now that winter break has finally arrived!

Retro

I've spent so much time reading through the Encyclopedia of Arda, it's not even funny. Great site.

One of my favorite parts of the Silmarillion: The entire Lord of the Rings saga makes up something like 2 paragraphs out of the whole. It's quite literally a snippet at the end and only casually mentions the entire events and maybe Gandalf and Frodo by name. Everything else comes across as not very important in the scheme of things.

Which means that Tolkien's idea of Middle Eart's mythology was so grand that the entire volume of his best-known work was merely blurb. Amazing.

I entered this thread highly interested, and now I'm almost giddy with anticipation.

I'm still bummed out about del Toro's departure from the project, but I always said, "If there's one person aside from Jackson I would want handling The Hobbit, it would be del Toro." And well... I've got my first pick now, so I shouldn't complain.

I'm not happy this is being shot in 3D (don't have any interest in 3D films), but you better believe I'll see it in 3D anyway.

I fucking love the casting choices, by the way.

One of my favorite parts of the Silmarillion: The entire Lord of the Rings saga makes up something like 2 paragraphs out of the whole. It's quite literally a snippet at the end and only casually mentions the entire events and maybe Gandalf and Frodo by name. Everything else comes across as not very important in the scheme of things.

Which means that Tolkien's idea of Middle Eart's mythology was so grand that the entire volume of his best-known work was merely blurb. Amazing.

Indeed, it's incredible to think what else he could have written had he lived longer.

I shudder to think what kind of film pitches will be made based on the outlines in the Silmarillion, though, after both Hobbit films are out and they've cleaned up on Hobbit marketing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom