• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

stupid question incoming: the trailer will be running at 48fps, right?

*runs*

edit: they're shooting it at 48fps, so it has to be 48fps. nevermind, then...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
i didn't know that was possible on ordinary screens.
so this trailer should be fun. too bad it's almost 2 days away.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
stupid question incoming: the trailer will be running at 48fps, right?

*runs*

edit: they're shooting it at 48fps, so it has to be 48fps. nevermind, then...
Digital theatres aren't configured for 48fps yet, and all the 35mm prints are going to be 24fps, so it's perfectly watchable at that framerate.

They might put out a 48fps version for the internet, and I hope they do, but I suspect they won't.

bud

Digital theatres aren't configured for 48fps yet, and all the 35mm prints are going to be 24fps, so it's perfectly watchable at that framerate.

They might put out a 48fps version for the internet, and I hope they do, but I suspect they won't.

why do you think that?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
why do you think that?
They might just make one 24fps version for simplicity's sake. Lots of people watch trailers ripped to Youtube, and I imagine it might not look great if people do a crappy job of converting it from the 48fps source (which they inevitably will).

The other thing is that 48fps is going to take some getting used to, and I don't think WB and PJ will want people judging it based on a 2 minute sample.

nomis

We are seeking it, seeking it, all are thoughts are bent on it. The trailer yearns above all else to be viewed by an audience.

There is only one lord of the trailer. Only one, who can view it at his will... and he does not share power.
11-28-10-peterjacksonredepic.jpg

Grakl

Call me plain old ignorant on this particular issue, but does doubling the standard fps (24 - 48) mean it's going to look 'sped-up' like some of those Samsung TVs do with certain input signals?

I think those TVs add in frames that don't exist, so it looks weird. In the case of recording 48fps, it simply looks better.

Reading more about it, people say that 24 fps gives you a movie look. What does that mean?

24 fps is what movies have been traditionally shot in so when you see something running at that frame rate you associate it with the look of a movie. The higher the frame rate the more it is associated with "real life," because it is closer to the fps the human eyes sees at. As a result sporting events and soap operas are both shot at something like 60 fps.

Some opponents of shooting films at 48 fps cite the "soap opera effect" or feel that it will cheapen the overall feel of the movie, although the cheapness of soap operas is more the result of lighting and camera technique.

Call me plain old ignorant on this particular issue, but does doubling the standard fps (24 - 48) mean it's going to look 'sped-up' like some of those Samsung TVs do with certain input signals?

No, in that instance the TV is creating additional frames where none exist. Something shot natively at 48 fps will look a lot better.

GCX

Reading more about it, people say that 24 fps gives you a movie look. What does that mean?
All movies have been shot in 24fps since the dawn of time which is why people associate it with "movie look". That however doesn't mean it would be the ideal look since 24fps exists only because technology limited it to that in the 20s.

According to Discworld, it was because the imps couldn't paint the frames any faster than that :)

Which reminds me, once Jackson is done with Middle-Earth he'd better turn to Pratchett's work.

Clevinger

Forgive my ignorance, but will we be able to see the teaser's 48 fps on our computer monitors/tvs etc; it doesn't require some special theater?

Kyaw

So, no one knows whether the trailer will be in 24 or 48fps?

It would be so sweet if they released a version in 48fps.

Forgive my ignorance, but will we be able to see the teaser's 48 fps on our computer monitors/tvs etc; it doesn't require some special theater?

Pretty much any monitor can display up to at least 60FPS.
So you should be fine, if they actually release the trailer at 48FPS.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The trailer is attached to Tintin right? I may just wait and watch it in theaters. Anyone know if the trailer is gonna be in 3D?
There's a 3D 24fps version going out to theatres.
All movies have been shot in 24fps since the dawn of time which is why people associate it with "movie look". That however doesn't mean it would be the ideal look since 24fps exists only because technology limited it to that in the 20s.
Sort of. The speed was probably standardised because it's the minimum fps that could still be properly synched up to soundtracks. The studios could have settled on a faster speed, but it would have cost them more.

LOL @ those expecting a 48fps trailer.

Like they're going to send out the software updates or get projectionists to configure the projector for a trailer.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
LOL @ those expecting a 48fps trailer.

Like they're going to send out the software updates or get projectionists to configure the projector for a trailer.

I wasn't really expecting it one way or another. I don't really know how the 48fps stuff works, but I just assumed that it wouldn't require a ton/any work to show it in theaters. If it's filmed in 48fps, then won't the quality of the trailer be adversely affected if they slow it down to 24?
Clearly, I don't know anything about fps. :( Unless we're talking about the videogame genre.

Holy shit @ that picture of Freeman as Bilbo. He's perfect! He even looks a bit like a younger Holm.

Can't fucking wait for the trailer.

Good luck getting the Silmarillion rights while Christopher Tolkien still has them.

Oh, you're right about that. For once: thank goodness Christopher Tolkien is such a douche about the rights. I do not want to see anyone try to adapt that monster.

modulaire

If it's filmed in 48fps, then won't the quality of the trailer be adversely affected if they slow it down to 24?

I thought about that, too. The individual images of 48fps footage have much less motion blur than 24fps images.

Is the converted footage (48 to 24) smooth enough / on the same level like SOOC 24fps?

Edmond Dantès;33611188 said:
There's more chance of seeing Tom, William, Bert, the goblins and maybe a glimpse of The Necromancer, than Smaug the Magnificent.

Yup. and I hope we don't see anything of Smaug until opening night. It was awesome seeing the Balrog and Gollum for the first time on opening night and not the trailer or press release.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't really expecting it one way or another. I don't really know how the 48fps stuff works, but I just assumed that it wouldn't require a ton/any work to show it in theaters. If it's filmed in 48fps, then won't the quality of the trailer be adversely affected if they slow it down to 24?
There's a little bit of digital post-processing done on the converted 24fps footage, but reportedly it looks absolutely fine in the trailer.
I thought about that, too. The individual images of 48fps footage have much less motion blur than 24fps images.

Is the converted footage (48 to 24) smooth enough / on the same level like SOOC 24fps?
Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie decided on a 270 degree shutter angle for The Hobbit, which means it will have higher than normal levels of motion blur.

I don't think they want anyone seeing 48fps footage until they're sitting in the theater watching the finished movie. I've heard it takes a good while to get used to.

Branduil

Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie decided on a 270 degree shutter angle for The Hobbit, which means it will have higher than normal levels of motion blur.
That's interesting. Combined with the higher framerate I imagine the films will look almost surreal in motion.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Haven't checked this thread in a week, and come in and find out the trailer is out today :D thank the lord, my most anticipated movie of all time I think.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yup. and I hope we don't see anything of Smaug until opening night. It was awesome seeing the Balrog and Gollum for the first time on opening night and not the trailer or press release.
That scene always brings me out in goosebumps. Even more thrilling when you know they're both Maiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZ0UHI93tI&feature=related#t=46s

The musical score at that particular moment fits just perfectly and is a testament to Howard Shore's great ability as a composer and the editing abilities of John Gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7I0WYKXHg&feature=related#t=3m41s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom