• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

pottuvoi

Banned
Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie decided on a 270 degree shutter angle for The Hobbit, which means it will have higher than normal levels of motion blur.
Keep in mind that when framerate is 48fps 360 degree shutter is exactly same as 180 degree shutter in 24fps. (in terms of how long the film is exposed.)

Thus with a 270 degree shuter and 48fps, lenght of motion blur is slightly lower than in a standard 24fps film.
Meaning slightly improved image quality overall. (being shot in 5K should help as well..;))

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind that when framerate is 48fps 360 degree shutter is exactly same as 180 degree shutter in 24fps. (in terms of how long the film is exposed.)

Thus with a 270 degree shuter and 48fps, lenght of motion blur is slightly lower than in a standard 24fps film.
Meaning slightly improved image quality overall. (being shot in 5K should help as well..;))
Hmm. Good point.
I suppose the choice makes sense, since blur isn't such a necessity when you're capturing more steps of movement. It seems that they're going for heightened smoothness and clarity over the 'filmic look'. This is going to be very jarring for a lot of people.

The sad thing is that the full resolution of the image won't be seen, because right now the digital theatre standards only allow for 48fps at 2K, and a maximum of 24fps for 4K. On top of that, 3D films are always mastered at 2K.

Sirius

^ I remember the super-trailer being the first thing I saw on the screen after walking into the theatre for FotR,.. the foreboding sent chills down my spine.

Atruvius

So why is Frodo in this movie? I mean, he wasn't even born when The Hobbit happens. The Hobbit was 60 years before LOTR and in LOTR Frodo was 55 years old. Am I missing something here?

So why is Frodo in this movie? I mean, he wasn't even born when The Hobbit happens. The Hobbit was 60 years before LOTR and in LOTR Frodo was 55 years old. Am I missing something here?

He'll be at the beginning and the end. Bilbo will probably be telling Frodo of his adventures at the beginning and then at the end, Frodo is in possession of 'There and back again'.

He'll be at the beginning and the end. Bilbo will probably be telling Frodo of his adventures at the beginning and then at the end, Frodo is in possession of 'There and back again'.

I just hope they dont show Frodo in the trailer that will confuse the heck out of audiences who have not read the book

hiro4

I just hope they dont show Frodo in the trailer that will confuse the heck out of audiences who have not read the book

How so? They havent read the book anyway.
It will probably even better since now they can tell the story how frodo went on his adventure.

On a related note, I was sitting in class reading some Tolkien when one of the 10 year old girls I teach took notice and come over for a chat. We got talking about the Hobbit Movies and she went on to tell me that she loves the book and she could even quote from 'Riddles in the Dark' word for word. Chatted for about 10 minutes on the subject.

The great thing about Tolkien is that you can love it on several different levels. You can take the narrative as a series of adventures or you can delve deeper and grasp the essence of Middle Earth.

Made my day.

Harry Potter said:
So is Ian Holm in this to play old Bilbo?

He is. :)

A flash-forward so the film has the LotR factor, or at least my biggest fear would be if they tried too hard to make it like the trilogy.
This was my biggest worry as well, but Jackson cleared the issue up to my satisfaction. He wants it to be somewhat comparable in tone by the end of the 2nd film so all the films fit together, but he also acknowledged that the Hobbit is more children. The humor in these films rightfully comes from the dwarves. Sounds to me like it will be juggled fine. Think of it more like a loss of innocence shown at the end of fotr that allowed the story to go to darker places.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
He'll be recalling his adventures with Bilbo either at Bag End or maybe even on the way to Tol Eressëa (an island off the coast of Valinor), although that would be quite the spoiler for LOTR if you knew they were sailing into the West having been afforded the right to by the Lords of Arda.

Atruvius

Whew! That don't sound so bad. I was afraid they were going to somehow retcon Frodo into Bilbo's journey. Thanks for clearing this up guys!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Whew! That don't sound so bad. I was afraid they were going to somehow retcon Frodo into Bilbo's journey. Thanks for clearing this up guys!
Peter and co have been good in that regard so far. All the returning faces from LOTR make sense. Bilbo and Frodo to connect the second film into the trilogy, Legolas is Thranduil's son, he should be in or around Mirkwood at the time, Galadriel who is a key member of the White Council. It's not like he's shoehorning the other hobbits, Arwen, young Aragorn (Estel) and Gimli into the narrative. I would be worried if that were the case.

The problem is, my expectations for the trailer are so so high that it will have to be practically the greatest trailer of all time for me to be satisfied...

I suppose the same goes for the movie itself. :p

Everyone who has seen the trailer has been satisfied. I wouldn't worry.
Good to hear, I figured I'd avoid reading up on it.

They put out an image to hype the trailer release.
hobbit-unexpected-journey-martin-freeman-01-550x366.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What's the procedure for trailer threads? Is it who ever posts one first or are there dibs, because I have a nice little OP ready to be posted if know one else minds.

Edmond Dantès;33624028 said:
What's the procedure for trailer threads? Is it who ever posts one first or are there dibs, because I have a nice little OP ready to be posted if know one else minds.

The pleasure is yours :)

It's strange we haven't had a poster yet..

Have at it my friend.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
it's yours.

Its once the trailer is live and you have a link. Or people get pissed. Heh.

bengraven

A bit worried.

If he's going to somewhat match the tone of Hobbit, where it's more fairy tale like and less dark fantasy...then I worry adult audiences will think it too slapstick or childish. Hell, some of you, who have read the books and KNOW The Hobbit is a kid's book may be disappointed as well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A bit worried.

If he's going to somewhat match the tone of Hobbit, where it's more fairy tale like and less dark fantasy...then I worry adult audiences will think it too slapstick or childish. Hell, some of you, who have read the books and KNOW The Hobbit is a kid's book may be disappointed as well.
I trust Peter, Fran and Philippa to get the balance between the more serious undertones of the narrative and the comedic elements just right, but also not straying too far from the tone established in the trilogy.

Do it! Just make sure you don't Solo it up.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;33624532 said:
I trust Peter, Fran and Philippa to get the balance between the more serious undertones of the narrative and the comedic elements just right, but also not straying too far from the tone established in the trilogy.

I have the same faith, but I still expect plenty of explaining to people that "it's based on a children's book".

I just hope they keep the nut shots to a minimum. Kids love their nut shots.

As for tone, I don't think we'll have much to worry about.

For one, they've included a lot more of the songs this time around so the beginning should be a lot more light hearted and more of an adventure. I'd imagine things will get darker around the woodland realm scenes and then bleaker during the Smaug, BOFA scenes (and the subsequent deaths) before trying nicely into LOTR. Bombur will probably be a continual source of amusement and we still don't know what else they'll do to the personality of the dwarves.

I reckon Peter has cut Dain II from the script. He probably thinks we have enough dwarves anyway without having to quickly build up the arrival of a whole lot more for a short sequence.

If you weren't going to do it I was (as the absentee caretaker of this thread) but if you have something prepared go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom