• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
How soon?

OGUsb.jpg

Don't be hasty.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Surprised no mention by Peter. im not sure i expect one tomorrow but id love it

Stand down chaps.

The trailer is a cut down version of the one we've seen with the smoking scenes removed for a PG audience. Nothing to see here folks.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Stand down chaps.

The trailer is a cut down version of the one we've seen with the smoking scenes removed for a PG audience. Nothing to see here folks.
Indeed.
There has been a stir around message boards and internet hoards for those noticing “Hobbit Trailer 2″ showing up on documents and even websites that distributors and movie houses use for official purposes. People are hungry for new footage from “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” and it sure looked like something was coming. But, we can absolutely confirm that “Hobbit Trailer 2,” attached in many instances with “Brave,” this weekend, is not that new footage.

First we have this from the studio:
“TRAILER 2 that was posted about earlier this week is actually not a new trailer in the sense that it will contain new footage, it’s actually a cut-down of the previous trailer.”(More info and another source after the break)

And just in case conspiracy theorists out there think the studio is throwing us off the trail (which they wouldn’t do) and are still holding out hope, a spy sends this in, party in response to Demosthenes’ post just down the page:
“I do have some unfortunate news. I just finished previewing the 2:29 version of the Hobbit trailer (2). It is, in fact, the same trailer we’ve been introduced to, but slightly altered to comfortably go before the PG rated children’s film, Brave. However, there does appear to be a handful of very short sequences added to the trailer that are new to me, of course, to substitute for the scenes that involve the smoking of pipe tobacco. Regardless, it’s always a good trailer, and nothing to be overly disappointed about. Still anxiously awaiting the official ‘second’ theatrical trailer, and I will be sure to let you know the moment we DO receive it. I might have to sneak a peek, and share some spoilers with you fine folk …”

With all due respect to our spy, while that is certainly possible, it seems unlikely to me there are even “very short sequences” added. The overall time is slightly shorter and it seems odd that smoking scenes would be cut and then new stuff added back. It seems clear this was intended to run with family film “Brave,” and was simply made appropriate for that. More likely is that details that escaped a first viewing of the trailer came to the viewer’s attention. From personal experience, we all know how easily that happens. However, if that hunch proves to be wrong, we will surely bring news of anything new that might be on display. As always, if you know of new material or have other information about this or anything else “Hobbit,” related hit us at “Spymaster@TheOneRing.net”

Finally, despite no official word from Warners, we still suspect there will be some big “Hobbit,” stuff going on during the San Diego Comic-Con. Internet sites have reported official confirmation of “The Hobbit,” during WB’s block of time in the 6,500 seat Hall H on Saturday, but checking with the studio, they were very clear that they have not announced anything and will let us know as soon as they do. Obviously we will then let you know as soon as that happens. Twitter: @TheOneRingNet and TORn’s Facebook page sometimes can react even faster than our website here.

Now, we fully expect “The Hobbit,” to be part of the goings-on on Saturday, and fully expect it to set the media/fan buzz machine on fire, but it isn’t official yet. However, TheOneRing.net will definitely have a “Hobbit” presentation on Thursday at 10:15 a.m. at the show in a 1,000 seat auditorium room 6DE. We will bring you as much of the entire five-day popular culture extravaganza as possible, especially including “Hobbit,” content. We also will be based in two spots on the dealer’s floor, talking with fans, hanging out with Weta Workshop and Badali Jewelry for the duration of the show. And, for those who can’t attend, we have you covered as well with our largest team ever of staffers on hand to bring you all the fun.

Seems like they really have nothing new to show.

Loxley

I know it's easy to get our hopes up over this, but remember that prior to this trailer even being registered, the most widely excepted theory was that the next proper trailer with new footage would be attached to TDKR. This particular trailer was clearly meant to coincide with Brave. My guess is that the goal of this trailer is just to remind people about the movie in general.

It's likely the new footage will be reserved for Comic-con + TDKR :) It's a bummer we'll have to wait a few more weeks, but I don't think we need to be at DEFCON 1 just yet.

kingocfs

Edmond Dantès;39106925 said:
Seems like they really have nothing new to show.
I find it hard to believe that they have absolutely nothing new to show six months before release. Seems like around Comic-Con is the safe bet.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I know it's easy to get our hopes up over this, but remember that prior to this trailer even being registered, the most widely excepted theory was that the next proper trailer with new footage would be attached to TDKR. This particular trailer was clearly meant to coincide with Brave. My guess is that the goal of this trailer is just to remind people about the movie in general.

It's likely the new footage will be reserved for Comic-con + TDKR :) It's a bummer we'll have to wait a few more weeks, but I don't think we need to be at DEFCON 1 just yet.
Nothing that happens now can really dishearten us too much after the troubled beginnings of this project and all the bad luck that befell the early parts of production. We're actually pretty lucky to be getting another chance to visit Middle-earth in the film medium. So yes a few weeks is nothing really.

agrajag

Banned
Is the movie being released in 24fps too, or just 48fps? If the trailers are in 24fps, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking the first time I want to see it in 24fps, and the following times (it's almost guaranteed I'll be seeing this multiple times) in 48.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
hmm, my concern is that the hobbit trailer wasnt that good a trailer in the first place, it hit some beats but not till the latter half, i would have personally started with the dwarves singing and kept back the first part where the pacing felt off.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is the movie being released in 24fps too, or just 48fps? If the trailers are in 24fps, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking the first time I want to see it in 24fps, and the following times (it's almost guaranteed I'll be seeing this multiple times) in 48.
Both 24fps and 48fps and 2d and 3d, so there will be plenty of different ways to see it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
hmm, my concern is that the hobbit trailer wasnt that good a trailer in the first place, it hit some beats but not till the latter half, i would have personally started with the dwarves singing and kept back the first part where the pacing felt off.
Yeah, I think that the first trailer was more for the fans than the general public. I'm sure the latter trailer(s) will be more appealing to the general public and more in line with the LOTR trailers.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;39107308 said:
Both 24fps and 48fps and 2d and 3d, so there will be plenty of different ways to see it.

That's awesome. I can use that to justify dragging friends to see it again. "But we haven't seen it in 3D yet! But we haven't seen it in 48fps yet! But we haven't seen it in 3D 48fps yet!"

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hope Beren and Luthien are mentioned in the films, just like the trilogy. They're too important to the legendarium not to be mentioned. A mention of the most important character in the whole legendarium; Melkor would be nice as well. Without him there would be no Quenta Silmarillion, no Akallabêth, no Hobbit and certainly no Lord of the Rings.

Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg

Retro

Edmond Dantès;39112825 said:
Hope Beren and Luthien are mentioned in the films, just like the trilogy. They're too important to the legendarium not to be mentioned. A mention of the most important character in the whole legendarium; Melkor would be nice as well. Without him there would be no Quenta Silmarillion, no Akallabêth, no Hobbit and certainly no Lord of the Rings.

Love that picture of Ungolant too, it's probably my favorite. Always wanted to see that part of the Silmarillion on film.

strafer

Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg

cylzz.jpg

I find it hard to believe that they have absolutely nothing new to show six months before release. Seems like around Comic-Con is the safe bet.

Well, Hobbit is a Warner release and there's a pretty big Warner movie coming in a couple of weeks I'm sure they will love to advertise new footage with.

Loxley

No trailer yet? :(

We likely won't have a shiny new trailer until the Hobbit panel at the San Diego Comic-con, which is in three weeks. The trailer that's attached to Brave is (apparently) identical to the trailer we got last December, only with the shots of Bilbo and Gandalf smoking removed. We've waited this this long, another three weeks isn't all that bad. At the very least they've been spoiling us with the excellent production blogs.

strafer

We likely won't have a shiny new trailer until the Hobbit panel at the San Diego Comic-con, which is in three weeks. The trailer that's attached to Brave is (apparently) identical to the trailer we got last December, only with the scenes of Bilbo and Gandalf smoking removed.

Edmond Dantès;39119744 said:
Turns out it was a false alarm, but there's still hope of an all new trailer at either Comic-Con or with TDKR.

Oh I see.

agrajag

Banned

Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg

I love John Howe, but the way the characters pose in his paintings is very awkward sometimes. I like this on a lot more:

Ungoliant_and_melkor.jpg

Loxley

I love John Howe, but the way the characters pose in his paintings is very awkward sometimes. I like this on a lot more:

Ungoliant_and_melkor.jpg

I'm getting a very "Black Knight from Monty Python" vibe from Melkor in that painting. I'm picturing him turning to Ungoliant and saying "I move...for no man."

*edit - Great, now I'm imagining Ungoliant trying to recruit Melkor to join her at her court in Camelot. I just made that painting very amusing for myself. I'll be over here.

agrajag

Banned
I'm getting a very "Black Knight from Monty Python" vibe from Melkor in that painting. I'm picturing him turning to Ungoliant and saying "I move...for no man."

Possibly, it's a very conservative design though. I imagine Tolkien himself envisioned Morgoth as something like that, rather than the outrageous design they came up with for Sauron in the movies (though I love it and it's kind of how I pictured him). It's very restrained. Plus, he looks a lot more elegant in this painting than in the other one.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Possibly, it's a very conservative design though. I imagine Tolkien himself envisioned Morgoth as something like that, rather than the outrageous design they came up with for Sauron in the movies (though I love it and it's kind of how I pictured him). It's very restrained. Plus, he looks a lot more elegant in this painting than in the other one.
Always liked the following concept of Sauron from the Fellowship movie tie-in art book. It doesn't have the disfigured horse helmet/mask design of the final Sauron model and is a little more elegant than the final design.

ikVOTduxPEZaH.jpg

(Not the actual sketch from the book, but someone else's copy of it.)

ibuys5NTbd3WPn.jpg

Another bunch from the book. http://nevsepic.com.ua/uploads/posts/2012-04/1335706988-6270630-071.jpg

ibcn6n4jGZ9qx6.jpg

The art book also has a sketch of Sauron without his helmet on and well, it's not a pretty sight.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Trailer impression.
I just saw a midnight showing of Brave and can confirm the differences. Bilbo is still shown with a pipe, but it looks like an alternate take so he is just holding it but there is no smoke. The heading "next december" is changed to "this december," and there are indeed two or so new shots, one of Bilbo falling down and then his face peering through something as someone else has stated and another of what looked like Gandalf and Company running quickly through the woods. These shots were played so quick it was hard to get a really good look at them in the cinema. I think the only replaced shots were the shot of the Dwarves fighting at Trollshaw and/or Gandalf/Thrain's confrontation.

jett

D-Member
Just rewatched Fellowship EE, been 9 years since I last watched it. Can't believe it's been this long since these movies came out. Anyway, truly one of the best fantasy/adventure movies ever made(although personally the EE doesn't really add anything substantial to the film). I hope The Hobbit is more along the lines of FOTR, only thing that has me worried is that a much shorter book than any in the trilogy has been stretched into two movies.

Just rewatched Fellowship EE, been 9 years since I last watched it. Can't believe it's been this long since these movies came out. Anyway, truly one of the best fantasy/adventure movies ever made(although personally the EE doesn't really add anything substantial to the film). I hope The Hobbit is more along the lines of FOTR, only thing that has me worried is that a much shorter book than any in the trilogy has been stretched into two movies.

It has become my favourite movie over the last couple of years. I would say the EE adds a substantial amount to Boromir, the elves and Lorien.

Dead

well not really...yet
The EE adds enough without changing the pacing too much that it makes it without a doubt the definitive version of the film imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom