• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Edmond Dantès;39112825 said:
Hope Beren and Luthien are mentioned in the films, just like the trilogy. They're too important to the legendarium not to be mentioned. A mention of the most important character in the whole legendarium; Melkor would be nice as well. Without him there would be no Quenta Silmarillion, no Akallabêth, no Hobbit and certainly no Lord of the Rings.

You think? I'm happy with none of that stuff being in. It hardly intrudes on the book at all. Yeah there's Elrond...it mentions Gondolin a few times, that's about it. I'd like the film to have the same lighthearted/adventure feel of the book, I don't really think there's a need for RotK style drama.

bengraven

Fellowship has always been my favorite of the movies and the book. There are times I call it my favorite movie of all time and I'm not ashamed of that at all.

Whenever I'm reading a long saga, the first parts are always my favorite. You only glimpse them at first as you're getting into the book, but later, when you've grown to love and care about the characters, you go back and read those parts and it's like you're seeing them anew.

I first read these in 1995 when I was 16. I read Hobbit first. I wasn't a fan of Frodo at first, I hated his name and I loved Bilbo so much I wanted HIM to the be hero of the trilogy. I felt an almost loss that I was going to have to read these three much thicker books starring the nephew of this character I loved. Of course by the time they met Strider, I was all in for them all and it was fun a year later to go back and read the beginning because I could finally appreciate Hobbiton and Frodo and Sam and Frodo's friends and cousins. My favorite part of the entire series is from when Frodo leaves Bag-End until Glorfindel takes Frodo to Rivendale.

I want to take a week long walking trip through the Shire and Breelands and downs so bad you don't even fucking know.

Loxley

Fellowship has always been my favorite of the movies and the book. There are times I call it my favorite movie of all time and I'm not ashamed of that at all.

Whenever I'm reading a long saga, the first parts are always my favorite. You only glimpse them at first as you're getting into the book, but later, when you've grown to love and care about the characters, you go back and read those parts and it's like you're seeing them anew.

I first read these in 1995 when I was 16. I read Hobbit first. I wasn't a fan of Frodo at first, I hated his name and I loved Bilbo so much I wanted HIM to the be hero of the trilogy. I felt an almost loss that I was going to have to read these three much thicker books starring the nephew of this character I loved. Of course by the time they met Strider, I was all in for them all and it was fun a year later to go back and read the beginning because I could finally appreciate Hobbiton and Frodo and Sam and Frodo's friends and cousins. My favorite part of the entire series is from when Frodo leaves Bag-End until Glorfindel takes Frodo to Rivendale.

I want to take a week long walking trip through the Shire and Breelands and downs so bad you don't even fucking know.

At least you'll be able sort-of do one of those things for real when November comes rolling around :)

hobbitonmovieset1c.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
You think? I'm happy with none of that stuff being in. It hardly intrudes on the book at all. Yeah there's Elrond...it mentions Gondolin a few times, that's about it. I'd like the film to have the same lighthearted/adventure feel of the book, I don't really think there's a need for RotK style drama.
As well as The Necromaner who is intrinsically linked to Beren and Luthien. In fact Beren and Luthien are mentioned by name in the first drafting phase of The Hobbit and were only omitted right at the final stage. Yet more evidence to suggest that Tolkien intended The Hobbit to be part of the grander mythos long before LOTR was written. If Tolkien had it in mind to include such references to the mythos than why shouldn‘t Peter include subtle references to the past especially since this will be our last chance to venture into Middle-earth via the film medium for a very long time.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There's an interesting parallel between Thingol's (Of Beren and Luthien) conditions for Beren and Elrond's conditions for Aragorn for marrying Arwen.

Altazor

Edmond Dantès;39271051 said:
There's an interesting parallel between Thingol's (Of Beren and Luthien) conditions for Beren and Elrond's conditions for Aragorn for marrying Arwen.

yeah, I've alwats loved that. And the fact that the 3 relationships (Thingol/Melian, Beren/Lúthien, Aragorn/Arwen) are between members of different races.

Shit's obvious, I know, but I still love those detailes.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Tolkien Society conference planned for the 16th–20th August.

http://www.returnofthering.org/

Looking forward to attending this. The fact that Ted Nasmith will be there is a bonus, as well as Michael Tolkien, Tom Shippey (author of Road to Middle-earth), Corey Olsen (of Tolkien professor podcast fame), Kate Madison (who made the Born of Hope prequel film) and many others.

This wll be heavenly.
Located in the James France Lecture Block with all our other daytime activites, the combined Dealers’ Room and Art Show for 2012 will be awesome! Making use of the airy 450sq metre Exhibition Hall, it is the largest area we have ever used for this purpose, and we aim for you to relax and enjoy yourself whilst viewing the many different styles and types of artworks. There will be a full range of dealers offering books, clothing, jewellery, figurines, and even original artworks for sale. This will truly be an opportunity like no other for the collector and appreciator.

Lancehead

Edmond Dantès;39271051 said:

The difference is that Thingol consciously set his conditions so that Beren may not succeed. Not the case with Elrond; he wanted a worthy man to marry the Evenstar of their people.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
so hard to believe it actually happened, cant wait for a new trailer

Loxley

The Hobbit Comic-Con panel line-up announced:

SAN DIEGO – Warner Bros. today announced what has been suspected and rumored: the studio is bringing “The Hobbit,” to the San Diego Comic-Con in a big way. Most surprising is just how big as director Peter Jackson, producer and co-screenwriter Phillipa Boyens, actor and director Andy Serkis along with featured actors Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen and Richard Armitage are all expected at the Saturday, July 14 Comic-Con panel hosted by Warner Bros.

I'm avidly anticipating the panel being uploaded to the web, but seeing as it's a WB-hosted panel, it's possible that they'll have a very strict no-recording policy since they'll likely be showing off new footage. They did the same thing when The Dark Knight had a panel back in 2007. If anything they'll just be militant in removing any videos of the panel that do contain footage.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Hobbit Comic-Con panel line-up announced:

I'm avidly anticipating the panel being uploaded to the web, but seeing as it's a WB-hosted panel, it's possible that they'll have a very strict no-recording policy since they'll likely be showing off new footage. They did the same thing when The Dark Knight had a panel back in 2007. If anything they'll just be militant in removing any videos of the panel that do contain footage.
I want to see more of the Elves and Beorn. A glimpse of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable would be too much to ask for though.

Edmond Dantès;39353904 said:
I want to see more of the Elves and Beorn. A glimpse of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable would be too much to ask for though.

Spiders of Mirkwood would be so good. Can't wait to see how hey'll bring that scene to life.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've never heard that name, where's it from?
The Lay of Leithian.

’Men called him Thu, and as a god
in after days beneath his rod
his ghastly temples in the shade.
Not yet by man enthralled adored,
now he was Morgoth’s mightiest lord,
Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl
for ever echoed in the hills,
and foul enchantment and dark sigaldry
did weave and wield. In glamoury
that necromancer held his hosts
of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,
of misbegotten or spell-wronged
monsters that about him thronged,
working his bidding dark and vile:
the werewolves of the Wizards Isle.

The earliest mention of the revised Sauron character after Tu (a good wizard) and Fangli (Melko's servant/child) from the abandoned Lost Tales were combined.

edit: It's also further evidence that Tolkien did indeed intend for The Hobbit to be part of Silmarillion mythos.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spiders of Mirkwood would be so good. Can't wait to see how hey'll bring that scene to life.
I wonder if they'll talk. In fact I wonder if any of the animals will talk which is something that didn't occur in the LOTR films.

Also the servants of Beorn and the talking handkerchief might be a bit too fairy tale like for Peter's vision of the story.

Edmond Dantès;39419777 said:
I wonder how close this look is to how Thû the Necromancer (Mairon of Aulë) will look in The Hobbit.

m1181060_99111464103_EvilSauronNecromancerMain_873x627.jpg

Speaking of the Games Workshop line, I doubt we will see any of the range until right into the Autumn. May buy a few pieces, but the prices are a huge disincentive. I wonder if the Perry twins will sculpt any?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of the Games Workshop line, I doubt we will see any of the range until right into the Autumn. May buy a few pieces, but the prices are a huge disincentive. I wonder if the Perry twins will sculpt any?
From what I've read, it seems as though they will be sculpting or at least overseeing the production of Hobbit tie-in models.

Jrmint

Can someone explain the casting of Thorin to me? This is my only issue with the casting. He was always my favorite character in the book and I thought he would appear much older, so why does he appear this way?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Can someone explain the casting of Thorin to me? This is my only issue with the casting. He was always my favorite character in the book and I thought he would appear much older, so why does he appear this way?
Peter's interpretation of the character. That and the fact that Tolkien dwarve aging is really quite like human aging. Some age better than others and certainly in Thorin's case. He's not even that old really as some dwarves made it well past the 200 mark.

Wiggum2007

Edmond Dantès;39420540 said:
I wonder if they'll talk. In fact I wonder if any of the animals will talk which is something that didn't occur in the LOTR films.

Also the servants of Beorn and the talking handkerchief might be a bit too fairy tale like for Peter's vision of the story.

Under Del Toro's direction they were planning on having them talk.

You better have them talk, Peter!

Jrmint

Edmond Dantès;39421407 said:
Peter's interpretation of the character. That and the fact that Tolkien dwarve aging is really quite like human aging. Some age better than others and certainly in Thorin's case. He's not even that old really as some dwarves made it well past the 200 mark.
I feel like in art I saw he had gray hair and all bc he is supposed to be considerably older than the other dwarves. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I feel like in art I saw he had gray hair and all bc he is supposed to be considerably older than the other dwarves. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

To further my previous answer, here's a few choice quotes from the Professor and Christopher Tolkien.

Professor
"Dwarves remained young – e.g. regarded as too tender for really hard work or for fighting – until they were 30 or nearly that (Dáin II was very young in 2799 (32) and his slaying of Azog was a great feat). After that they hardened and took on the appearance of age (by human standards) very quickly. By forty all Dwarves looked much alike in age, until they reached what they regarded as old age, about 240. They then began to age and wrinkle and go white quickly (baldness being unknown among them), unless they were going to be long-lived, in which case the process was delayed.

Almost the only physical disorder they suffered from (they were singularly immune from diseases such as affected Men, and Halflings) was corpulence. If in prosperous circumstances, many grew very fat at or before 200, and could not do much (save eat) afterwards. Otherwise ‘old age’ lasted not much more than ten years, and from say 40 or a little before, to near 240 (two hundred years) the capacity for toil (and for fighting) of most Dwarves was equally great.”
“Dwarves of different ‘breeds’ vary in their longevity. Durin’s race were originally long-lived (especially those named Durin), but like most other peoples they had become less so during the Third Age. Their average age (unless they met a violent death) was about 250 years, which they seldom fell far short of, but could occasionally far exceed (up to 300). A Dwarf of 300 was about as rare and aged as a Man of 100."
Christopher
“It will be found in the genealogical table that the life-span of all the ‘kings of Durin’s folk’ from Thrain I to Nain II varied only between 247 and 256 years, and no Dwarf in the table exceeded that, save Borin (261) and Dwalin, who lived to the vast age of 340 (the date of his death appears in all the later texts of the table, although the first to give dates seems – it is hard to make out the figures – to make him 251 years old at his death.”

Thorin was 195 years old.

On the topic of dwarves. Is this Dain II Ironfoot's notorious hammer?

iDq9OEhOrSFrh.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Howard Shore on scoring The Hobbit
He is not giving away much about his approach to the score for The Hobbit except to say, “If you like the scores to the other films, you’ll like the way I’m approaching The Hobbit.”

He is into the crunch right now on The Hobbit with recording set to begin in August. That pressure prevents him from being in Ottawa for the performance.

Asked whether some of the music for The Hobbit will hint at the Lord of the Rings, he’s coy.

“I have crafty little ways of dropping bits here and there. There are characters that are in both, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond. It’s so connected to The Lord of the Rings.”
Source

It's all coming together now with Shore starting the scoring process in a few weeks.

So, influences from James Newton Howard and Michael Giacchino? Yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom