• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

JaxJag

Banned
Yeah, I bought the game a few days ago.

Seems 100xs more fun than the IGN review made the game sound.

XBLA been on fire lately, 3 straight really good XBLA titles.

Drakken

This game is awesome! Feels just like the original arcade one, at least according to my dusty memories. Played for a couple hours with a friend today, and we had a blast trying to find all the shortcuts.

Question about the Hydro Thunder logo "packages" (dunno why they call them packages instead of tokens or something): When you get one, it's still there if you do that track again, right? Unfortunate if so, cause it'll be tough to keep track of which ones you've gotten already. They should keep it there but have it be grayed out like a star in SMG.

EDIT:
Rubber Duck
is awesome, haha!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Drakken said:
This game is awesome! Feels just like the original arcade one, at least according to my dusty memories. Played for a couple hours with a friend today, and we had a blast trying to find all the shortcuts.

Question about the Hydro Thunder logo "packages" (dunno why they call them packages instead of tokens or something): When you get one, it's still there if you do that track again, right? Unfortunate if so, cause it'll be tough to keep track of which ones you've gotten already. They should keep it there but have it be grayed out like a star in SMG.
Once you collect them, they don't show up again, not even as a greyed out star.

Vorg

Banned
Drakken said:

The packages you've collected no longer appear next time you race, so no worries.

edit: beaten :p

One weird thing I noticed when I was playing with a friend last night was that if I grabbed one of the tokens, he wouldn't be able to see it or get it. But, if he got it first, I could still see it and pick it up. I think it was because I was hosting. Anyway just something to be aware of it you try to do this with another player. I imagine it must be some kind of glitch.

JaxJag said:
Yeah, I bought the game a few days ago.

Seems 100xs more fun than the IGN review made the game sound.

XBLA been on fire lately, 3 straight really good XBLA titles.
Yeah. It's so much fun to race online.

I was actually surprised on how good the game was. The IGN review did make me worry about it. But I bought it anyway and I'm very glad I did!

SuperPac

acidspunk said:
Did anyone else have the game crash when starting an online race? Happened 3 times already.

I've gotten that a couple times today. Had it crash once during the loading screen and the point values for 1/2/3 were all 0. That didn't sound right...

Is there a place that lists the unlock conditions for all the skins?

geebee

Banned
Anyone else set up a fan to blow air in their face while playing this? :lol I know it's not Arctic Thunder, but still...

This game is fantastic. Been listening to the new avenged while playing. Good times. Another friend bought it, as well, and a couple are on the fence. I'll have to see what I can do to further spread the word.

Dan Yo

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah seems like only 8 events. I'm surprised but I don't really mind, there's so much else to do.
Too bad. I enjoy the ring events but I could've done with less of those and more of the racing.

Dan Yo said:
Too bad. I enjoy the ring events but I could've done with less of those and more of the racing.
The ring events are my favorite.

Is there any way to join an online race knowing whether or not the players are already racing or not? I hate refreshing a server list, joining a game, and finding that all the players are racing without even knowing what lap or how much progress they've made through the track. I'd really like to try the online portion, but this is keeping me from wanting to try much longer.

geebee said:
Anyone else set up a fan to blow air in their face while playing this? :lol I know it's not Arctic Thunder, but still...
I did! :lol

(Part of that though is sitting in my racing chair gets a little hot.)

Gigglepoo

S1kkZ said:
whoever placed the packages on the tracks, is a very evil person.

The package element is really strange to me. I've sunk in more than 15 hours already (maybe 20? Who knows) and still only have half the packages. I'm always gunning for a low time, so swerving even slightly to nab one is too risky, and going out of my way is completely out of the question. I just can't change my mindset to slow-paced exploration when there are leaderboard times to compete against.

fernoca

Gigglepoo said:
The package element is really strange to me. I've sunk in more than 15 hours already (maybe 20? Who knows) and still only have half the packages. I'm always gunning for a low time, so swerving even slightly to nab one is too risky, and going out of my way is completely out of the question. I just can't change my mindset to slow-paced exploration when there are leaderboard times to compete against.
Yeah, but only you fastest time is posted. So you can aim for a low time; then return and explore every nook. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this game and I'm already psyched for any upcoming DLC.

I want double the tracks.

Vorg

Banned
Plinko said:
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this game and I'm already psyched for any upcoming DLC.

I want double the tracks.

Me too. These tracks are amazing. I've been playing online non-stop for 2 days now. I think I have probably unlocked about every single player event while online, since I'm at about 85,000 credits. I still have to play most of the single player events, though.

So I beat my first Expert race (the first course), and I managed to get the 127 best time, just to discover I'm 9 seconds slower than the better times, WTF, some people never ceases to amuze me. :lol

acidspunk said:
Me too. These tracks are amazing. I've been playing online non-stop for 2 days now. I think I have probably unlocked about every single player event while online, since I'm at about 85,000 credits. I still have to play most of the single player events, though.

My favprite track so far is the Japanese one, soooo good, reminds me of wave race tracks with all the waves. :lol

Vorg

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
My favprite track so far is the Japanese one, soooo good, reminds me of wave race tracks with all the waves. :lol

Tsunami Bowl is my personal favorite too. I think it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to Thunder Park in the DC game.

JRW

Is there anyway to get a "Super Start" (Boost off starting line) like in Dreamcast version?

JRW

After going back & forth between the original Hydro Thunder and Hurricane I gotta give Hurricane the win, They did a kick ass job with the sequel and the multiplayer / leaderboard additions add a lot of replay. (Although its kinda painful hearing some of the lines your co-driver says in hurricane, he sounds so flat & unenthusiastic vs. the original.)

Another vid I made today from PC version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF1YsKQkNU

redbarchetta said:
Yup, tap Gas just as the announcer starts to say "Go, go go."

Thanks ill try that. :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
redbarchetta said:
That 8th Package on Lake Powell is fucking evil...

JRW said:
Wow have you guys seen H20verdrive?, It's apparently made by some of the same dev's that did the original arcade Hydro Thunder. Check out this H20 footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJkhEFffpk&hd=1

They need to port this on consoles lol.
I played it a few weeks ago, it's alright, I guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gauntlet mode is pretty fun. Having to avoid barrels and you can drive over them if they're under the water from the waves is pretty neat.

Not sure if I can spend $15 on it, though. The driving on the demo boat is kinda... yeah. I know you guys say the full game's driving is better, but I dunno.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet. Need to get some new batteries for the controller.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
How can you tell at what difficulty you beat the races in? I've done the first track in Novice and Pro, but there is still just one medal there.

It's only one medal, whatever the difficulty you beat the race, same goes with gauntlet mode.

Which is a bit silly since getting gold with Novice boats is freaking easy.

Edit: And they need to fix the freezing bug, jezz was the game tested at all?

Vorg

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
And they need to fix the freezing bug, jezz was the game tested at all?

Yeah.. Basically if you see this, it's going to crash. Those numbers shouldn't be zero.

glitch.jpg

But it can crash before, during or after the loading screen. They really need to fix it.

MechDX

Damn the haters!!! This is EXACTLY what I have been wanting on XBLA! Great upgraded versions of some of the awesome DC racers. Where the fuck is my RUSH 2049 and Speed Devils Online!?

The one thing that dissapoints me is I want the announcer to be MORE over the top. Like in the arcade/DC version. When I pick a boat I want to hear it dammit!

BANSHEEEEE!!!!

Bought it after trying the demo. I try to play today with the Fanatec wheel and it's just not responsive enough but I haven't really mess with the setting. Anyway, I like it just fine with the stick.

It's fun even my kids who normally do not like racing game really enjoy it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just got ranked #34 on Monster Island. These tracks are intense when you're boosting the entire time with Rad Hazard. The smallest wave can spell doom.

Sh0k

Anyone knows if there is a set number of packages in each track or the number varies depending on what track your are playing ?

kinggroin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
This game is exactly what this generation is missing. Fast stupid crazy games. I'm done driving supercars in a cockpit view slowly through city streets. I want fucking dinosaurs coming up out of the water at me, Norse gods trying to hit me with hammers, and frozen mammoths bellowing at me.

For you and the two poster after, if you have a Wii, I recommend Excitebots for that San Francisco Rush-esque craziness. Not too many racers let you kick a field goal while making a sandwich as you do 360s through a volcano :p

Oh yeah, this new Hydro Thunder is pretty cool. The only thing I wasn't feeling was the speed. Does it get faster? Boat upgrades maybe?

There are three classes of boats, the third class go almost uncontrollably fast.

I've heard a lot of good things about Excitebots, don't have a Wii though. =\

kinggroin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
There are three classes of boats, the third class go almost uncontrollably fast.

YES!

Looks like I may have to pick this game up (and LIMBO) afterall.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Neuromancer said:

The difference between the 3 classes is like...

Novice > Pro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Expert.

Vorg

Banned
Neuromancer said:

It really pays off to learn to control the faster boats though. Minus the fact that people will start booting you from lobbies.

acidspunk said:
It really pays off to learn to control the faster boats though. Minus the fact that people will start booting you from lobbies.
Yeah, this is why we need class specific lobbies. If you're just starting up, you should be able to play against people in the same class.

Dan Yo

Banned
acidspunk said:
They're not really that fast or hard to control, but the effects with the water in this game mean you'll be flying in the air and into things a lot more often in the expert boats and so have to know how to control your speed when you see a wave coming.

I hope DLC adds more races to the game. I'm sick of ring events.

Top Bottom