• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ridley327 said:
Yeah, the game still has issues with both water-based battles; I actually came across quite a bit of slowdown on 7 at 720p.
I really think the difference in performance between the two modes is very small and exgerrated by DF article.

shwimpy

Just finished ICO for the first time...

Absolutely gorgeous. <3

Only problem I had with the controls was the
jumping from the platform, to the water wheel, to the lever.
Was raging pretty hard after 15 tries. I heard this part wasn't even in the American version... true?

1 more colossi to go....... Ill leave it for tomorrow.

Pretty tired.

shwimpy said:

Absolutely gorgeous. <3

Was raging pretty hard after 15 tries. I heard this part wasn't even in the American version... true?

lol.

Had the exact same problem.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Finished SotC, in 7 hours more or less. Still a FANTASTIC experience six years later, made even better by a steady framerate and excellent image quality. This game looks so good still. Playing SotC again has increased my hype levels for The Last Guardian even higher.
Did you end up playing it in 1080p mode all the way through?

conman said:
Controls and camera get worse in SotC. Luckily the atmosphere is even better to compensate.
I thought controls in ps2 sotc were worse than in Ico. Not anymore. They did something in this remake to make them as responsive and smooth. Be it increased framerate, physics engine improvement or whatever else, I'm pretty positive ps2 sotc never controlled this good.

krae_man

I hit a wall on the 13th Colossi in Time attack mode. He kept diving back into the sand before I could get to his final weak point.

Problem is, I forgot to save before I decided to take a break and now I have to replay the first 12 again. *rage face*

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Beat ICO once, and now im trying for the 2hr trophy. Im using a guide on youtube, and doing ok so far. Sucks how at completely random times it seems like the controls just stop responding...like ill go to jump on something and i have to hit the button twice to make him jump. Or other times the AI for the chick becomes dumbass stupid all of a sudden and wont even move when im calling her.... Oh well, im at 30 minutes at the Stone Pillar save couch, which i think is still good. (In the vid, he's at 28:45 or so at the same spot)

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
Did you end up playing it in 1080p mode all the way through?

I thought controls in ps2 sotc were worse than in Ico. Not anymore. They did something in this remake to make them as responsive and smooth. Be it increased framerate, physics engine improvement or whatever else, I'm pretty positive ps2 sotc never controlled this good.

Hellz naw. I did it once to try it out, unstable framerate is unstable. I don't like the poorer image quality either.

I agree about the controls too. ICO just feels unwieldy and really heavy compared to SotC now.

Pfft. I started getting tired of constantly turning 1080 on and off so I left it at 1080 after numerous quits and restarts comparing objects, motions and battles. Any difference is hardly an annoyance to get worked up over. I stuck with 1080 after the 6th colossus and didn't notice a single hitch. Hope no one's ps3s are dying...

Oh... I was showing off my new tv today and wowed folks with the 3D. At first it was "oh it's neat but kind of subtle" to "whoa now that is awesome" after turning up the intensity.

Ridley327

Lord Error said:
I really think the difference in performance between the two modes is very small and exgerrated by DF article.
7 and 12 don't get nearly as bad as they did on the PS2, but there's definitely some wonk going on in them compared to the rest of the game. Fights that ran like absolute shit on the PS2 like 9 and 16 are super smooth now.

SamuraiX-

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Beat ICO once, and now im trying for the 2hr trophy. Im using a guide on youtube, and doing ok so far. Sucks how at completely random times it seems like the controls just stop responding...like ill go to jump on something and i have to hit the button twice to make him jump. Or other times the AI for the chick becomes dumbass stupid all of a sudden and wont even move when im calling her.... Oh well, im at 30 minutes at the Stone Pillar save couch, which i think is still good. (In the vid, he's at 28:45 or so at the same spot)

I've been skimming through his videos. There are some instances in the game where you can shave off quite a few minutes from your total time that I never would've thought of. I'm definitely getting it next time.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SamuraiX- said:
I've been skimming through his videos. There are some instances in the game where you can shave off quite a few minutes from your total time that I never would've thought of. I'm definitely getting it next time.

Oh yeah for sure! Ive already done quite a few of those instances already. I cant see how anyone could do this under 2hrs without these little exploits, or whatever you wish to call them.

Just got this yesterday and so far Ico is starting slow but the atmosphere is great and im sure it will pick up.

Shadow of the colossus on the other hand, really great and smh at me for not playing it sooner.
Just beat the 3rd Colossus earlier and can't wait to play more.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Hellz naw. I did it once to try it out, unstable framerate is unstable. I don't like the poorer image quality either.
I actually think IQ in SotC is better in 1080p mode, that's the main reason I decided sticking with it. I didn't get very far in it though, just beat 1st colossus, and the framerate was nigh identical in both modes. Texture filtering looks notably better in 1080p mode - any texture shimmer is practically eliminated in that mode while I can still see it in 720p. Geometry jaggies were surprisingly just as visible in both modes in a few places I could see them enough to easily compare them. I was expecting 1280 horizontal res to have a more notable advantage there.

Oh, and subtitles in SotC are huge in 720p!

So you're saying that on #12 (the one that you tried in 1080?) the game run much better in 720p?

JeFfRey said:
ICO creeps me out. Seriously, it's not a scary game but I can't play more than 10 minutes at a time because it freaks me out.

Okie. When I first read your post a couple of days ago I was like, I suppose they are pretty creepy, but I don't see it.

While playing last night, every time they poped up and started going after the girl, the hair on my back stood up and I felt a bit weird inside. They really really freaked/stressed me out!!! o_O

I think it's more like what they represent and what they do if I let them get the girl than how they look that does that to me. Which is again a credit to the game and the immersion it creates.

Sinthetic

My girlfriend was nagging me to play the 10th Colossus before we went out to see her parents, something came up and we had to go and it's been 24 hours since I left the battle half way through. Torture!

leroidys

I know this is sacrilege, but I can't help but think that move controls would have been a cool (optional!) addition to these titles. The mindless combat in Ico would have been mildly more entertaining. In SotC firing off arrows (which already feel awesome) would be amazing with the sports champions controls, and actually physically plunging the sword into the colossi's heads would be even more incredible and visceral.

Anyway, I beat SotC today and am going for time attack now.

Yep, still perhaps the best game ever made. I really, really want to try these in 3D for myself. It just seems like it would be amazing, even if I had to bump it down to 720 to keep a consistent framerate.

rataven

I've been enjoying this collection so much that now that I've beaten both games, I've thought about going for the platinums.....until I took a look at them. SotC seems BRUTAL. Very grindy, and I'm not sure I have the patience for the time attacks. ICO might be doable though, but I suspect I'll need a guide for the 2 hour trophy.

Has anyone attempted these platinums? Are they as tough as they seem? Any tips for either game?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
rataven said:
I've been enjoying this collection so much that now that I've beaten both games, I've thought about going for the platinums.....until I took a look at them. SotC seems BRUTAL. Very grindy, and I'm not sure I have the patience for the time attacks. ICO might be doable though, but I suspect I'll need a guide for the 2 hour trophy.

Has anyone attempted these platinums? Are they as tough as they seem? Any tips for either game?
I just gave up on the ICO speed-run Trophy. It's not worth the effort.

And yes, you need a guide.

finished shadow..................
...yeah. I dont know how I feel

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
I actually think IQ in SotC is better in 1080p mode, that's the main reason I decided sticking with it. I didn't get very far in it though, just beat 1st colossus, and the framerate was nigh identical in both modes. Texture filtering looks notably better in 1080p mode - any texture shimmer is practically eliminated in that mode while I can still see it in 720p. Geometry jaggies were surprisingly just as visible in both modes in a few places I could see them enough to easily compare them. I was expecting 1280 horizontal res to have a more notable advantage there.

Oh, and subtitles in SotC are huge in 720p!

So you're saying that on #12 (the one that you tried in 1080?) the game run much better in 720p?

I didn't try that one in 720p, but at 1080p there was noticeable slowdown.

Patapwn

funkystudent said:
finished shadow..................
...yeah. I dont know how I feel
Do you need a hug?

Curufinwe

shwimpy said:

Absolutely gorgeous. <3

The trick is to let go of the stick as soon as you climb up on the wheel, and then press towards the platform and press /\. It took me 20+ tries on my first playthru, but on my speed run I did it on my first try. Which was necessary because I only finished that run with two minutes left to spare.

Ridley327

Got up to getting the sword in Ico. The castle sure is lovely to look at in HD.

I will say that navigating ledges with shifting camera angles is a pain in the ass, but the controls have been otherwise OK.

Just finished Ico.

I thought at first it was going to be a game I wanted to play in one sitting but it's been something I've ended up playing for half an hour every night or so. More of a bite size game.

First of all, I think it has to be noted that in an industry that has 95% awful endings, this game has to be recognised for having a great final cutscene/credits/post-game segment. Lovely wrap up to the story, beautiful song and great visuals.

Like I said on the last page or two, the best thing about the game for me was the design of the prison and the sense of scale. Everywhere felt huge and I always knew exactly where I was in relation to the other areas I had visited. Despite it being quite a fantastical building, it had clear logic to the design, which isn't very common in video games I find.

I still feel the combat was a bit too frequent and annoying. It wasn't that much of an issue, especially when you got more than the stick, but yeah. I also felt that Yorda moved way too slow at times. I appreciate they wanted her to seem vulnerable and "normal" but it wasn't that fun waiting 30 seconds for her to climb down a ladder and then up a ledge when I just sat there twiddling my thumbs.

Visually I thought it stood up very well. A few rough edges, as one would expect, but for the most part it was still really great to look at.

I still don't think it's the "OMG BEST GAME EVER HIGH ART!!!" that lots of people seem to say it is, but it is a wonderful game. I tried to keep my expectations in check and because of that I really enjoyed it a helluva lot.

I'm going to play Dark Souls before I move on to SOTC but what little I played of SOTC on my PS2 (up to the 5th enemy I think) tells me I won't like it nearly as much as I liked Ico. Some of the issues I expect to be fixed (UNPLAYABLE framerate) but others I'm skeptical about (shit controls) so I guess we'll have to see.

Even if I walk away from SOTC not liking it that much, it was worth £27 just for Ico. It's made me very excited for Last Guardian, which looks very Ico-esque.

SamuraiX-

Brazil said:
Yeah.

I was having a hard time in the Sewers part. I press the button, go back to pick up Yorda, and the door closes when I'm trying to go back to the tunnel every time.

???

You know if you press R1 while sitting on the switch, Yorda will come to you?

jett

D-Member
Just cuz Lord Error vouched for it, tried the first Colossus at 1080p...noticed several framedrops where it held steady at 30fps at 720p. Everything looks blurrier, just has this sub-HD quality to it that I dislike. The subtitles might be huge in 720p but at least they're crisp and clear and not a blurry mess. :p

It's a shame they couldn't get SotC to run at full 1080p locked at 30fps. This 960x1080 thing is just crap.

Ridley327

jett said:
Just cuz Lord Error vouched for it, tried the first Colossus at 1080p...noticed several framedrops where it held steady at 30fps at 720p. Everything looks blurrier, just has this sub-HD quality to it that I dislike. The subtitles might be huge in 720p but at least they're crisp and clear and not a blurry mess. :p

It's a shame they couldn't get SotC to run at full 1080p locked at 30fps. This 960x1080 thing is just crap.
I think it's been said that the 3D mode's framerate is more or less identical to how it was on the PS2.

laika09

On colossus #13,
jumping off Agro's back in full gallop onto the wing as he flies across the sand has to be the most epic moment in the history of games
, right?

jett

D-Member
laika09 said:
On colossus #13,
jumping off Agro's back in full gallop onto the wing as he flies across the sand has to be the most epic moment in the history of games
, right?
Pretty much, well that and #5. #5 is just the most awe-inspiring, breathtaking moment in my entire video game playing life.

I love Shadow of The Colossus. I bought this collection mainly for it. ICO is just a bonus. In fact, I'm 1.5 hours into ICO and I'm already fed up with the weird ass controls and an unresponsive, unwilling to do my bidding Yorda. It's not fucking coincidence the best moment of that game are the last 30 minutes.

SotC I could replay until the end of time. I finished it yesterday yet here I am starting a new game on hard mode...just like I did when it came out on the PS2. Some people have said that ICO is the more graphically impressive of the two remasters, but for me it's not even close. Shadow is just ridiculously visually striking in HD and with a good framerate, it's just amazing they achieved this on the PS2. Even today not a single game does what Ueda's team did. No scripted bullshit, no QTEs, no gimmicks, all the epicness is done on pure gameplay.

Patapwn said:
Do you need a hug?
I dont know...... Not sure if I like the ending
So Mono, Agro and Baby horned Wander spend the rest of there life trapped in the forbidden land. :( I would have felt it would have been better if Wander and Agro died and the monk guy took Mono away back to where ever they came from.
I still would like to more about Mono and Agro. how did Mono die in the first place? why does Wander do so much to resurrect her? I guess thats all left for us to make up on our own?

I liked ico's happy ending more.... although thats kind if a downer as well.

the last guardian cant come soon enough though.

I live these HD collections. Thanks to them I got to play the god of war games and Beyond good and Evil and now the team ico games.

All of them where games I feel like a fool for not picking up back in the day and I am totally on board for whatever comes next from each of there dev teams.

laika09

funkystudent said:
So Mono, Agro and Baby horned Wander spend the rest of there life trapped in the forbidden land. :( I would have felt it would have been better if Wander and Agro died and the monk guy took Mono away back to where ever they came from.
I still would like to more about Mono and Agro. how did Mono die in the first place? why does Wander do so much to resurrect her? I guess thats all left for us to make up on our own?

Mono was sacrificed because she had a 'cursed fate' or some such. There's no chance they were about to take her back to happy land; they only came to the Forbidden Land to stop Wander from resurrecting her. As for their relationship, I think it's mostly assumed that she was Wander's girlfriend or whatever. I don't remember it being stated explicitly.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ICO 2hr speedrun.... im at 1:30:45 at the last save couch. Id say i lost around 5-10 min through the game up to that point on really stupid shit like Yorda not responding at all at odd times when i call her, or ICO just oddly not grabbing ladders or switches when i hit the button. Odd issues, at the worst possible times.....Anyhow, do i have a chance in doing the last part in 30 min?

leroidys

funkystudent said:

I liked ico's happy ending more.... although thats kind if a downer as well.

the last guardian cant come soon enough though.

I live these HD collections. Thanks to them I got to play the god of war games and Beyond good and Evil and now the team ico games.

All of them where games I feel like a fool for not picking up back in the day and I am totally on board for whatever comes next from each of there dev teams.

I don't think the baby is "Wander" but Dormin, as he stated that he possessed the human's body. Mono's "cursed fate" is that she would raise the human form of the demon/god/whatever Dormin.
Killing her in the first place just fulfilled this prophecy, just like leaving Oedipus in the wild to die. This also seems to give reason for why all
horned children
are treated as they are in Ico, as they could be the
reincarnation/human form of Dormin

That's my read on it anyway.

SamuraiX-

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
ICO 2hr speedrun.... im at 1:30:45 at the last save couch. Id say i lost around 5-10 min through the game up to that point on really stupid shit like Yorda not responding at all at odd times when i call her, or ICO just oddly not grabbing ladders or switches when i hit the button. Odd issues, at the worst possible times.....Anyhow, do i have a chance in doing the last part in 30 min?

I think I made it to that point at around 1 hour and 32 minutes on my first attempt. After what I felt was my best shot at the final stages of the game, I finished with a total time of 02:03:45.

I'm in the process of starting over. Hoping to get to that last save point before the 1 hour and 20 minute mark.

It's definitely worth a shot though since I feel like you at least have a slim chance of getting it.

Patapwn

Man you guys are crazy. No way in hell I'm doing the ico speedrun, what a fucking horrible trophy (smh at bluepoint)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SamuraiX- said:
I think I made it to that point at around 1 hour and 32 minutes on my first attempt. After what I felt was my best shot at the final stages of the game, I finished with a total time of 02:03:45.

I'm in the process of starting over. Hoping to get to that last save point before the 1 hour and 20 minute mark.

It's definitely worth a shot though since I feel like you at least have a slim chance of getting it.

Yeah im gonna try, but if i just miss it like you did and dont get it, im not trying again. Not worth the aggravation..

The problem is all those long ass vids at the end that you cant skip count towards your playtime which is total bs......We'll see what happens!

SamuraiX-

Yup, those are what killed it for me in my first attempt. hah

I love it though. It's a fun and challenging gold trophy and perfect for ICO given how short the game is if you know what you're doing.

I was always a big fan of MGS speed runs, so this kinda thing really adds to the thrill of the game for me.

Curufinwe

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Sorry, but I don't think so. It took me about 34 minutes to do the last part, and that was my fifth time overall doing the last part of Ico on PS3 so I rolled thru it without any significant time wasting errors. This guy did it 31:55, but he was faster than me all the way thru, and fast enough to get a Main Gate save of only 1:21:00.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/team-ico-collection-ico/126887-speed-run-time-savepoint-marks.html

My Main Gate save was 1:23:33 and my final time was 1:57:37. But the first time I attempted the final part I wasted some time and ended up with the agonizing final time of 2:00:17.

Patapwn said:
Man you guys are crazy. No way in hell I'm doing the ico speedrun, what a fucking horrible trophy (smh at bluepoint)

Nah, it's not that bad if you follow a good guide. Nothing like the hardcore trophy on Dead Space as an example of a horribly difficult trophy to get.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yep, didnt happen, ended up just a hair over 2hrs. Got screwed hardcore....

--The unending battle with the dark spirits just before you go fight the queen. Its not bad enough they spawn over and over for 5 minutes, they were all dead and the cut scene wasnt kicking in. About 45 seconds or so later after i was looking around, i found one last spirit that was stuck over on a ledge just running back and forth....killed it and the cut scene started. Seriously...complete and total crap

The actual last battle went pretty quick but i was screwed due to the above and the fact that Bluepoint Games found it completely necessary to make the whole ending part and credits that waste 5 minutes easily completely unskippable while the clock keeps ticking on....a double fu for that, that's just wrong. The damn clock should stop
the second you drive the sword through the bitchs chest.

Too much aggravation, there's no way in hell im trying that again. Too many other games to play. The sad part is its completely, easily do-able if the game would let you skip that last scenes and the credits....ESPECIALLY if youve already beaten it once...you lose just enough time sitting through it to screw you over.

Shadow of the Colossus is tomorrow....maybe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
funkystudent said:
I liked ico's happy ending more...
Yeah... about that... :(

jett said:
it's just amazing they achieved this on the PS2. Even today not a single game does what Ueda's team did. No scripted bullshit, no QTEs, no gimmicks, all the epicness is done on pure gameplay.
You're probably right. If you look the whole train in UC2 as moving deformable object, that's probably the only other game that's achieved the same thing. But the train is still not like a unified surface that can twist and bulge in any way. It's much more defined and limited in that sense.

As for Yorda in Ico, I can't say I ever had any big problems with her. The key thing in the game is the simple fact that you can guide her around any time you think she'll be slow to follow.

bridegur

The fifth colossus in Shadow is so incredible. The environments, scope and animation in this game are still amazing. I can't think of anything this generation that comes close.

Top Bottom