• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Mifune

Mehmber
The piston jump is just goofy. It seems to have been beamed in from another game entirely. And yeah, the water wheel was just annoying. Took me like 20 tries at least.

And now I hear that the ending is edited differently? I guess there will never be an actual definitive version of this game.

Looks gorgeous in HD though.

Sinthetic

Acquiescence said:
Got the SotC platinum today. Out of the 30 I've achieved, it was undoubtedly one of the most hair-pullingly maddening, and represented the absoute worst that trophies can get. A great trophy list offers a lot of variety in tasks while maintaining a sizeable challenge to get that reward factor. I'd say a perfect example is Mirror's Edge, which is tough but fair, requires only a couple of playthroughs so that tedium doesn't set in, and presents some diversity in time trials and chapter speedruns that eschew any unnecessary monotony.

But Sotc...God almighty. That abomination requires you to complete the game not twice, not three times, BUT FIVE FUCKIN' TIMES! And that's not even including the 2 time attack modes you have to endure, which are essentially extra playthroughs anyway considering that the only portion of gameplay missing is the trek to each colossus. So that's already some extreme grinding, but you couple that with the collectathon trophies for fruit and lizards that don't even have markers - disallowing the common courtesy to tell you if you've actually killed all the lizards or not - and you've got yourself a seriously detestable trophy list that taints an otherwise great game.

Hard time attack wasn't as excruciating as I had anticipated fortunately; all were a cinch apart from #15 and #3. I mean, it was a mode ultimately hindered by Wander's newfound refusal to stand still from the slightest shuffle of a colossus, but after searching for all 48 pieces of fruit in that secret shrine, I felt like I could endure anything.

Essentially though, I can't see myself ever wanting to play the game again. Out of the collection though, ICO came out still smelling like roses; love that game to bits.

You Sir, are a BEAST!

Erigu

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Without a point of comparison it probably didn't hurt their experience much at all.
Nope. Even after watching the US edit (different angles during the credits, too), I can't say I mind.

SamuraiX-

This 2-hour speed run is kinda starting to piss me off now.

Seems like there's just way too many ways to fuck up and waste time.

2nd attempt ended in failure when I got to the
West Gate tower

Fucking Yorda, man.

Mifune

Mehmber
What can Yorda do in the PAL/Collection that she couldn't do in the North American ICO? Nothing jumps out at me as new.

ScOULaris

Mifune said:
What can Yorda do in the PAL/Collection that she couldn't do in the North American ICO? Nothing jumps out at me as new.
Just a couple of subtle additions. She now wanders over to things and points at them to help you figure out what to do next. For example, a lot of people who didn't know how to save needed only to notice that Yorda was pointing to the first save couch and saying something in her language. She also verbally expresses reluctance and shakes her head when you tell her to do something that she's not comfortable doing. That's about it, I think.

Damnit. Where is my copy from Yesasia? It was shipped out at end of September. I can't stand reading this thread any more knowing everyone has been playing it.

An-Det

Just finished Shadow of the Colossus, what a fantastic game. Aside from the occasional annoying colossus, I loved it. Beautiful ending as well.
Yay Agro surviving the fall!

Ridley327 said:
It is indeed stronger!
ZJDyZ.jpg

haven't played for two days, just beat the 4th colossus , wow fuck you haha , took me so long to do it, dfshfdjsjfdskfds it was distracted by my horse half the time

goonergaz

ScOULaris said:
Just a couple of subtle additions. She now wanders over to things and points at them to help you figure out what to do next. For example, a lot of people who didn't know how to save needed only to notice that Yorda was pointing to the first save couch and saying something in her language. She also verbally expresses reluctance and shakes her head when you tell her to do something that she's not comfortable doing. That's about it, I think.

I thought the UK also added english subs for Yorda on the 2nd play-through and ability for a 2nd player to control her?

goonergaz

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It would be more intuitive for me (and I'm assuming some other people) if you were supposed to press the button as the piston is going up. But you have to press it earlier than that which makes less sense. Not to bring reality into this, but if you were to jump just before the piston went up, it would just slam into your feet and crumple your legs. It just defies our intuitive physics so people are having problems.

I don't agree with this, if I were to make a jump I would bend my knees prior to jumping - therefore I would start the jump before the point I would launch myself. It would have helped if you could hold jump to bend you knees and release the button to actually spring up (as it were). I hated the jump, I got stuck for ages for the very reason I was pressing jump and (what I thought) was the right time. It wasn't until I ready about Ico bending his knees that I got it at my 1st attempt 'proper'...so once I had the knowledge it was pretty simple (well, let's see if I'm still saying that after my 2nd play-through! lol)

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Without a point of comparison it probably didn't hurt their experience much at all. You should feel sorry for everyone who knows it's the worse ending because they've seen the better one. For those people, ICO HD is less than it could have been and a missed opportunity.

Indeed, I will watch the US ending, but to me there's nothing wrong with the UK version.

Just started SOTC and man.... it really is glorious in HD and with a stable framerate. Enjoying the magic all over again. Even more than I did the first time. Still one of the greatest games eva. Dat musical score.

I think I would give my left nut for a SOTC II on PS4.

kizmah

Finished Ico last night for the first time ever. What a great gaming experience! Can't wait to get home and sink my teeth into Colossus for the first time as well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
As much as I like Ico's artwork and presentation, the gameplay is very very frustrating, especially for a 2-hour speed run. Ico's jumps are wonky and they're delayed (and you have his 1 second about-to-fall motion) plus Yorda's AI is very annoying (because she's slow, bumps into a lot of weird thing, and she can't "jump" even if I can catch her).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
goonergaz said:
I thought the UK also added english subs for Yorda on the 2nd play-through and ability for a 2nd player to control her?
Yeah, that's all there in this remake. Yorda control option is great for playing this with a significant other who's not much into games, and doesn't mind not having a control over character all the time.

Man, I really wish they'd just add the "NA Ending Sequence" option and this remake would be perfect. Ah well, there's always videos to remind me what it should be like.

rhino4evr

Acquiescence said:
Got the SotC platinum today. Out of the 30 I've achieved, it was undoubtedly one of the most hair-pullingly maddening, and represented the absoute worst that trophies can get. A great trophy list offers a lot of variety in tasks while maintaining a sizeable challenge to get that reward factor. I'd say a perfect example is Mirror's Edge, which is tough but fair, requires only a couple of playthroughs so that tedium doesn't set in, and presents some diversity in time trials and chapter speedruns that eschew any unnecessary monotony.

But Sotc...God almighty. That abomination requires you to complete the game not twice, not three times, BUT FIVE FUCKIN' TIMES! And that's not even including the 2 time attack modes you have to endure, which are essentially extra playthroughs anyway considering that the only portion of gameplay missing is the trek to each colossus. So that's already some extreme grinding, but you couple that with the collectathon trophies for fruit and lizards that don't even have markers - disallowing the common courtesy to tell you if you've actually killed all the lizards or not - and you've got yourself a seriously detestable trophy list that taints an otherwise great game.

Hard time attack wasn't as excruciating as I had anticipated fortunately; all were a cinch apart from #15 and #3. I mean, it was a mode ultimately hindered by Wander's newfound refusal to stand still from the slightest shuffle of a colossus, but after searching for all 48 pieces of fruit in that secret shrine, I felt like I could endure anything.

Essentially though, I can't see myself ever wanting to play the game again. Out of the collection though, ICO came out still smelling like roses; love that game to bits.
So not worth getting tired or annoyed of such an amazing game because you feel the need to have a worthless trophy on your gamer tag. Seriously 5 times? I don't think I'll ever replay the game that many times in my lifetime.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ULTROS! said:
plus Yorda's AI is very annoying (because she's slow, bumps into a lot of weird thing, and she can't "jump" even if I can catch her).
You can always do a speedrun in multiplayer - I'm sure some puzzles are somewhat "too easy" by doing this, but the speedrun trophy is kinda broken to begin with.

Everdred

What am I missing? I got the game 2 hours ago. So far I have only played SotC and I'm not really feeling it. Do you need to have some nostalgia for this game to enjoy it?

The controls are terrible. The graphics do look nice for its age. How do you guys see this as art? (Other than the general sense that video games are a form of art.) What separates this from all the other games not being art? What is so touching and great about this game to you guys? I'm really not trying to knock it, just understand what the hype is all about. I just defeated the 3 colossi.

I definitely enjoy the music and the concept of the game. Taking down these giant creatures as just a small being, using them as the environment and whatnot. I don't find anything particularly emotional, I don't feel for them as I kill them. Will the game get any better for me?

Now to try ICO, which I admittedly should have played first according to this thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fafalada said:
You can always do a speedrun in multiplayer - I'm sure some puzzles are somewhat "too easy" by doing this, but the speedrun trophy is kinda broken to begin with.

Yeah I kinda did a few parts in multiplayer (with two hands) because Yorda can't climb ladders properly even if she's being called. And yeah, if they made the Castle Guide trophy into 2:30 rather than 2, it will be doable.

Anyway, thank God I got the platinum. 4th platinum this year. 9 platinums all in all:

wr1aja.jpg

Game has nice aesthetics and the characters are interesting but the gameplay is kinda wonky (well... Kinda understandable since it's a PS2 launch game).

ScOULaris

Everdred said:
What am I missing? I got the game 2 hours ago. So far I have only played SotC and I'm not really feeling it. Do you need to have some nostalgia for this game to enjoy it?

The controls are terrible. The graphics do look nice for its age. How do you guys see this as art? (Other than the general sense that video games are a form of art.) What separates this from all the other games not being art? What is so touching and great about this game to you guys? I'm really not trying to knock it, just understand what the hype is all about. I just defeated the 3 colossi.

I definitely enjoy the music and the concept of the game. Taking down these giant creatures as just a small being, using them as the environment and whatnot. I don't find anything particularly emotional, I don't feel for them as I kill them. Will the game get any better for me?

Now to try ICO, which I admittedly should have played first according to this thread.
Posts like this depress me. If you couldn't understand why SotC is special after watching the opening cinematic and fighting the first colossus, just return the game. Seriously, do it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I always intended to get the plat for these two, but the extreme grinding in SOTC and speedrunning in Ico will probably just cause me to hate the games and never want to play them again. So I'm not.

ScOULaris said:
Posts like this depress me. If you couldn't understand why SotC is special after watching the opening cinematic and fighting the first colossus, just return the game. Seriously, do it.

Not gonna be Special to everyone.

Erasus

Bebpo said:
Didn't realize that gamers these days wouldn't be able to figure out how to save in Ico if you don't tell them.

One of my friends tried playing it and they called me later asking if you had to beat the entire game in one sitting since it didn't autosave every room.

^^;

I played it and completed it first time last week and it tells you that coushes are save points :p

Amazing game btw, glad my first time playing it is the 1080p version :D

Everdred

ScOULaris said:
Well you might be right, I rewatched the opening scene and it still doesn't click. However, I do like what I've played of Ico.

Go_Ly_Dow

Got the collection! Any recommended order to play the games? I'm thinking shadow first since ico looks like it will leave a more emotional impact.

LordCanti

M_Night said:
Got the collection! Any recommended order to play the games? I'm thinking shadow first since ico looks like it will leave a more emotional impact.

Either way works really. Playing SOTC first gives the player a better understanding of Ico's story. Playing Ico first gives a good sense of progression.

Sinthetic

Truly the most beautiful game of all time is Shadow of the Colossus.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ending... Is the finest ending of all time. It's like one epic movie, condensed into a 10 minute cutscene. Stunning.

Colossi which really are engrained in my mind...

#3, #5, #7, #12, #13, #16.

If I had to pick a top 3, it would be 5, 13 and 16

Shout out to Colossus 10 and 15 for being a real pain in the ass. You done good fellas! Hahaha.

ScOULaris

Sinthetic said:
Truly the most beautiful game of all time is Shadow of the Colossus.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ending... Is the finest ending of all time. It's like one epic movie, condensed into a 10 minute cutscene. Stunning.

Colossi which really are engrained in my mind...

#3, #5, #7, #12, #13, #16.

If I had to pick a top 3, it would be 5, 13 and 16

Shout out to Colossus 10 and 15 for being a real pain in the ass. You done good fellas! Hahaha.
Agreed. The opening/ending of this game are on another level from every other videogame. For a game that only has these two long cutscenes book-ending mostly gameplay in between, it sure packs a cinematic punch. The shot composition and sound mixing/editing are out-of-control amazing.

Sinthetic

ScOULaris said:
Agreed. The opening/ending of this game are on another level from every other videogame. For a game that only has these two long cutscenes book-ending mostly gameplay in between, it sure packs a cinematic punch. The shot composition and sound mixing/editing are out-of-control amazing.

So right my friend, I always have the OST on repeat while I do work on my laptop.

God like final Colossus death animation too, memorable and then some.

leroidys

M_Night said:

Whichever you decide to complete first, at least save in Ico first so you get the easter egg Agro.

Kazzy

I've started an attempt for the 2 hour playthrough of ICO. Watched a little of a youtube video to get an idea about how fast I need to be and some of the shortcuts are crazy, basically skipping entire sections whilst you leave Yorda behind.

Clipper

Yahoo! Just got my Platinum in SotC. The 2 hour run in ICO had recently made ICO the top of my hardest platinum list, but its reign was short lived, given the difficulty of #3 and #15 in HTA mode of SotC.

Finally took #3 down using the sword jump and elbow/shoulder distractions after a 2.5 hour marathon. Felt so good and I just had to laugh as Dormin gave me the
"His armor seems brittle"
clue in the middle of the death scene.

I think I must have spent about 4-5 hours on him all up and the same, if not more, on #15. The other ones gave me nearly no trouble at all, which is just silly really.

So yeah, both the games have eclipsed my previous leading game of pre-patch 3D Dot Game Heroes as hardest platinum. I certainly hope they don't make the Last Guardian platinum as brutal.

jett

D-Member
I find both trophy lists to be complete garbage, and I think that if I tried for platinum I'd end up hating both games. Terrible stuff.

Carl

jett said:
I find both trophy lists to be complete garbage, and I think that if I tried for platinum I'd end up hating both games. Terrible stuff.

Indeed. I love SoTC, it's one of my favourite games ever, but i don't think i could stomach playing through it the 7 or so times you need to for platinum

Top Bottom