• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Mush

OK, I am so confused right now. What are the differences between the PAL and NTSC versions of SotC? I remember playing the original PAL PS2 version and it was the same as the one I have now; as in the time given to complete time attack mode. I just beat Malus within the 9:30 I was given (on normal time attack), but every other video I've seen on YT allows for 13 minutes or some absurd amount.

What the heck?

leroidys

OK, I am so confused right now. What are the differences between the PAL and NTSC versions of SotC? I remember playing the original PAL PS2 version and it was the same as the one I have now; as in the time given to complete time attack mode. I just beat Malus within the 9:30 I was given (on normal time attack), but every other video I've seen on YT allows for 13 minutes or some absurd amount.

What the heck?

I'm not sure about the specifics, just that the grip was changed between them, and apparently in the collection its even more finicky than the PAL PS2 version.

jett seems to be the resident expert on the topic, he may have posted more specifics earlier in the thread.

Playing through ICO for the first time and I love the atmosphere and the relationship the game goes about creating through ultra minimal dialogue. Art direction is fantastic, and the animation, though rough in spots, is still very charming and painstakingly detailed in a way that only hand animated stuff looks. Combat is really terribad though, the game would've held up significantly better if there was much less of it. The shadows are just an annoyance.

EDIT:

Just finished ICO. Really good stuff, and I can see how this blew people away in 2001. It holds up well enough in almost every area but combat. The overall impact is lessened due to games released in the last 11 years that aped stuff from it, but it's still a top notch experience that everyone should play at least once. The entire end sequence is really beautiful from the imagery to the music as well. The game has a really well done sense of place that not many games come close to.

One thing that I thought was a missed opportunity was Yorda never really getting better at anything through the course of the game. You'd think after 4 hours of helping her she would begin to pick up on stuff and become an asset, at least during puzzles/platforming.
It would've made her subsequent capture even more jolting, I think.

Really frustrating that Team ICO can't get their act together and get The Last Guardian out already. This team is so talented but you have to wonder what in the world is going on for them to be developing that game for going on 7 years. They should've been on their 2nd post-SOTC project by now.

I just completed the PAL PS2 and PS3 versions in succession, and the only difference in grip I noticed was on the third colossus on the PS3 version.

Yeah, the part where you attack it's stomach...not sure what's going on there...had no problem on PS2 but on PS3 so often just before I'd strike Wander would get interrupted.

TTG

First time playing through both of these games, am I the only one that finds SOTC very frustrating? ICO was fine with the exception of a few moments, actually I really enjoyed the game. Which is why I'm trying to give SOTC a chance.

The thing that gets me is the design of these "puzzles". I'm fine with games like Braid and Portal, I don't get stuck and I don't have to look up solutions either, but this is infuriating. You see it, or you don't I suppose. There's nothing to figure out. Specifically, the 4th colossus(the horse with the underground passage). After running around(and under) the arena for what seemed like forever I looked at the solution, if you can call it that. This is the sort of moment where you walk away for a week, or maybe don't come back at all. Just wondering if anyone else can relate or if my brain just doesn't work and it's obvious to most people.

Syn23

First time playing through both of these games, am I the only one that finds SOTC very frustrating? ICO was fine with the exception of a few moments, actually I really enjoyed the game. Which is why I'm trying to give SOTC a chance.

The thing that gets me is the design of these "puzzles". I'm fine with games like Braid and Portal, I don't get stuck and I don't have to look up solutions either, but this is infuriating. You see it, or you don't I suppose. There's nothing to figure out. Specifically, the 4th colossus(the horse with the underground passage). After running around(and under) the arena for what seemed like forever I looked at the solution, if you can call it that. This is the sort of moment where you walk away for a week, or maybe don't come back at all. Just wondering if anyone else can relate or if my brain just doesn't work and it's obvious to most people.
I felt exactly the same.

I think there are at least a couple of other moments like that one in the game.
In the end I appreciated the game for what it tried to do and for its aesthetic quality, but I didn't fell in love with it and I found ICO to be a much better game (or, at least, a much better experience to have in these days for the first time).

So if I don't give shit about trophies and don't care to play on hard, does the grip screw-up still matter? Is it noticeable on normal at all? I just want to relive SotC at 60 fps.

ScOULaris

So if I don't give shit about trophies and don't care to play on hard, does the grip screw-up still matter? Is it noticeable on normal at all? I just want to relive SotC at 60 fps.
The grip differences are way overblown. It only makes a noticeable difference on two Colossi in hard time attack. It's a shame that it was never patched, but this is still the definitive version of SotC. It's a must-own.

SxP

The grip differences are way overblown. It only makes a noticeable difference on two Colossi in hard time attack. It's a shame that it was never patched, but this is still the definitive version of SotC. It's a must-own.

It still makes a difference on Normal. Not so bad that you can't complete Colossi 3 and 15, but it definitely makes both those battles very frustrating. At least, they were for me.

Menaged

Just finished ICO for the first time in like... 6 years I think.

Simply an amazing experience.
I know people bitch about the combat, but it didn't bother me at all.
It was one of the many things that made me connect with Ico.
Flailing your stick like a little boy, combind with walking carefuly around ledges and taking an effort to pick up items and pull levers were little things that together worked wonderfuly.

I think one of my favorite moment is towrads the end

when you cross the bridge and suddenly it breaks. You and Yorda are on the opposite sides of the broken bridge, and instinctivly the first thing I did was to get back to Yorda. There wasn't even a though about proceed without her.

Anyway, I didn't find any major flaws with it. Great puzzles and atmosphere, especialy in the last hour. Great stuff going on there.

Kudos to Bluepoint for a great port. The game looks lovely.

george_us

This and Metal Gear Solid 2 have convinced me that my PS3/360 collection would be 100 times better if it consisted of nothing but HD ports.

Kinosen

Neo Member
I had a really great time with the ICO/Shadow collection. I love how both of them have a really simple game design overall, but it's in the detail in executing on that design where they both really succeed. ICO has this really great cyclical level design in the castle where you often see areas further away, and pretty much any area you see can be accessed at some point. In Shadow, the design is broadly "defeat these Colossi in this vast area", but it becomes so much more when you account for the animations, Agro, Colossi behaviors, music, etc. Both ICO and Shadow still stand as really unique games and it's great to see them both in HD at stable framerates.

Lionheart

Hmm, playing ICO for the first time (already played Shadow of the Colossus) and I'm kinda stuck here, right after the first save point. Either I'm doing something very wrong or I just suck (very possible, not into action games).

I'm in the area where I'm fighting two shadow creatures for the first time (two black holes). I've been hitting these guys for like 40 minutes now and I feel like I just don't damage them at all... I've looked for a walkthrough video and saw a guy wielding a sword or something in that area while I'm fighting with my bare fists (well, more like pushing them...).

What am I doing wrong? Either I don't damage them at all and have to go back find a weapon first or I need to damage them some more or I'm like sooo close to killing them each time right before they disappear in the hole with the girl and the respawned creature has a full health bar again or something?

Man, I want to enjoy this game, but I feel like I'm not gonna enjoy it much if I have to fight off a lot of these creatures. Too frustrating.

Edit: finally beat them after a break, guess they really do replenish health when respawning. After not letting the girl get dragged down for a long long time, I killed them all... No fun though..

Hmm, playing ICO for the first time (already played Shadow of the Colossus) and I'm kinda stuck here, right after the first save point. Either I'm doing something very wrong or I just suck (very possible, not into action games).

I'm in the area where I'm fighting two shadow creatures for the first time (two black holes). I've been hitting these guys for like 40 minutes now and I feel like I just don't damage them at all... I've looked for a walkthrough video and saw a guy wielding a sword or something in that area while I'm fighting with my bare fists (well, more like pushing them...).

What am I doing wrong? Either I don't damage them at all and have to go back find a weapon first or I need to damage them some more or I'm like sooo close to killing them each time right before they disappear in the hole with the girl and the respawned creature has a full health bar again or something?

Man, I want to enjoy this game, but I feel like I'm not gonna enjoy it much if I have to fight off a lot of these creatures. Too frustrating.

Edit: finally beat them after a break, guess they really do replenish health when respawning. After not letting the girl get dragged down for a long long time, I killed them all... No fun though..
Keep in mind that if you're in an area with an idol door, bringing Yorda to the door and activating it will instantly clear the area of all enemies.

It's a very useful thing to remember, as there are a few more battles like that in the game.

Lionheart

Thanks for the hint, read about it too, but there was no such door in this area and after trying another frustrating fight at the top against two flying creatures, I just quit. Don't know if I'll come back to the game, doesn't seem to be my kinda game after all, even though I really like SOTC.

SxP

Where did you lose your stick? Because I can't remember a moment where I was forced to fight with bare hands. With the stick they'll go down in a couple of swings.

Koroviev

Are there any NG+ features in Ico? It's probably my favorite game at this point, but I don't care about trophies. However, I would play through it again very soon if the experience was slightly different.

Sajjaja

Just finished SOTC for the first time and man that was awesome. Really enjoyed everything and especially boss fight 11
where the boss is afraid of fire
. Its so cute :D
That ending was such a trip and an emotional ride. Made you feel so helpless. I'm also really confused as to what happened...

I haven't finished ICO but I honestly couldn't bare it. It was just bleh....annoying. idk, it just repels me...

jett

D-Member
Are there any NG+ features in Ico? It's probably my favorite game at this point, but I don't care about trophies. However, I would play through it again very soon if the experience was slightly different.

You can enable subtitles for the untranslated language, and there's a bonus lightsaber weapon to be found.

Going for the Plat on SOTC and i regret it. Love this game so much but the grip/stab actions are definitely a little fucked. They added more losing balance to be more realistic which is fine. But what they didn't realize is that they made it damn near impossible to complete a stab unless you're on a specific sweet spot that doesn't even make sense. For example i noticed grabbing under the symbol i wouldn't lost grip at all compared to actually be right on top of it.

It's not that noticeable to most people because you only really notice it on a few colossi mainly 3, 6, and 15. Hard mode if i remember correctly was only giving you smaller stamina while some colossus added a few more symbols. Now all of a sudden they fucking shake so much it's just luck to get a stab in. I don't mind a little extra challenge but this is flat out broken.

Just compare these vids.
PS2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9hgQfmRBw
PS3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9g0g-_xahY

Still beautiful game and these problems don't really break the game. But if you're going to go for the easy platinum you better step back now. Hard Time Attack will seriously piss you off.

jett

D-Member
Going for the Plat on SOTC and i regret it. Love this game so much but the grip/stab actions are definitely a little fucked. They added more losing balance to be more realistic which is fine. But what they didn't realize is that they made it damn near impossible to complete a stab unless you're on a specific sweet spot that doesn't even make sense. For example i noticed grabbing under the symbol i wouldn't lost grip at all compared to actually be right on top of it.

It's not that noticeable to most people because you only really notice it on a few colossi mainly 3, 6, and 15. Hard mode if i remember correctly was only giving you smaller stamina while some colossus added a few more symbols. Now all of a sudden they fucking shake so much it's just luck to get a stab in. I don't mind a little extra challenge but this is flat out broken.

Just compare these vids.
PS2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9hgQfmRBw
PS3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9g0g-_xahY

Still beautiful game and these problems don't really break the game. But if you're going to go for the easy platinum you better step back now. Hard Time Attack will seriously piss you off.

Man I miss that game. :|

screw you bluepoint.

Just got the platinum, took 6 hours for hard time attack. So it's not impossible, 14 of them are a non issue. But you'll have to study YouTube a lot for 15 and 3. Those fuckers took me 3 hours alone.

You know what? Fuck Yorda. I'm on second playthrough, trying to beat it as fast as I can (I'm not going to get the trophy) and her little "quirks" are pissing me off. :\ My real trophy run is going to be so much fun.

Also fuck the combat. If I didn't love this game so much, I would bloody hate it.

*watches Yorda do everything but go up a ladder* I have to wonder if The Last Guardian's production issues have largely to do with the fact that no one on Team ICO knows how to fucking program an ally AI.

Koroviev

Not if you are trying to beat the game in a timely fashion. :\

Jeez, even with the
lightsaber
the combat is still frustrating.

My rule with the combat is to always tap the attack button a single time unless my first hit connects. Otherwise you're left staggered.

Dear Argus,

Go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,

Mush.

He's borderline unplayable on hard. I just wish Bluepoint would own up to the mistake and patch the controls with the US version. I had blown through 14 colossi in less than 4 hours playtime, then Argus took me a full hour. WTF, guys - did absolutely no one playtest this version?

Also pisses me off a little that they removed the diagonal jump exploit for temple climbing. So the only way to do this now is to beat the game many times to build your meter? Crazy sauce.

leroidys

He's borderline unplayable on hard. I just wish Bluepoint would own up to the mistake and patch the controls with the US version. I had blown through 14 colossi in less than 4 hours playtime, then Argus took me a full hour. WTF, guys - did absolutely no one playtest this version?

Also pisses me off a little that they removed the diagonal jump exploit for temple climbing. So the only way to do this now is to beat the game many times to build your meter? Crazy sauce.

On the second part, I wonder if I should approach that on my normal file, which will be easy to go through, or wait until I get the
Queen's Sword
on my hard mode file and try to do some quick playthroughs that way.

Koroviev

I started playing Shadow of the Colossus, but I don't think I can finish this. The HDR is seriously giving me a headache.

I don't like it as much as Ico, at least from a gameplay perspective. I defeated the first four colossi a month or so ago, but I haven't returned to it since. I do plan to finish it eventually.

What did Bluepoint change or not change?

They implemented the European version of the controls, which are supposed to be more difficult but just end up being much more frustrating - Wander has very small windows of opportunity to attack while holding on. Consequently you get first timers not really interested in sticking it out because the controls aren't up to snuff. Speaking of which...

I don't like it as much as Ico, at least from a gameplay perspective. I defeated the first four colossi a month or so ago, but I haven't returned to it since. I do plan to finish it eventually.

Stick it out to five - that's probably the second best one in the game. Then you're definitely in a position to say yay or nay, but until then the colossi have been fairly standard.. they get quite interesting after that point.

And let me know :)

They implemented the European version of the controls, which are supposed to be more difficult but just end up being much more frustrating - Wander has very small windows of opportunity to attack while holding on. Consequently you get first timers not really interested in sticking it out because the controls aren't up to snuff. Speaking of which...
Ah. It definitely feels more difficult, even on normal. Almost frustratingly so.

Top Bottom