• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

SxP

Of course, I may be wrong because I last played the game two years ago on the PS2 when I replayed through it.

But I didn't find the PS3 version noticeably harder. Of course, I may be wrong but I remember close to release that people were claiming that it was just the PS2 PAL version.

There were content differences between the ICO (and I think SotC as well) PAL and NTSC versions. So people claiming it was based on the PAL versions were probably talking about the content differences and not the physics.

jett

D-Member
Are we sure it doesn't actually play like the Japanese (and PAL?) PlayStation 2 version? It played a bit differently, compared to the US version, didn't it?

I haven't played the PAL version, but this is a complete disaster for me, and I finished all the hard time trials on the PS US release. Colossus #3 was making me stab myself. It's not even hard, it's just annoying as hell. I could barely hit the weak point in his torso because Wander can't even hold properly for 2 seconds, took me like half an hour to beat the guy. For kicks I loaded up my PS2 game(holy shit it runs at like 10fps), done in 5 minutes.

I wish I could find a way to get Bluepoint Games' attention.

yamo

Just bought this on sen, download is amazingly slow! Might aswell go to sleep and try it tomorrow.

34% on ICO only and I got a 100Mbit/s connection.

yamo

I wrote psn to begin with, but supposed some smart ass would come and correct me so I changed.

Now I don't know what to do!

Ps. Maybe I should have added that it took 2 hours for those 34%. Just woke up and now it is on 50%... my ps3 had turned itself off. :(

Pps. I'm super excite for this!

Just beat Ico for the first time ever - had the PS2 version a couple times, only got 1-2 hours in and got rid of it.

I was pretty impressed with it, it must have been mind-blowing back in 2001. In the end, I appreciated the style, cinematography, creativeness and originality of Ico, but I felt like the actual gameplay was the worst part. Glad I played through it.

And now it's on to Shadow of the Colossus, my favorite game of last gen :D

Antagon

Just beat Ico for the first time ever - had the PS2 version a couple times, only got 1-2 hours in and got rid of it.

I was pretty impressed with it, it must have been mind-blowing back in 2001. In the end, I appreciated the style, cinematography, creativeness and originality of Ico, but I felt like the actual gameplay was the worst part. Glad I played through it.

And now it's on to Shadow of the Colossus, my favorite game of last gen :D

Had the same with ICO. Definitely enjoyable, but didn't hit the chords as much for me as some other posters here.
Played some SotC yesterday, it's so beautiful. Played it through once on the PS2 and loved it, but when I tried to play it again later I had a hard time because of the awful framerate an d IQ. This version though...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just completed Shadow of the Colossus and it depressed me. :(

The trophies are also depressing. Why do you need to be so hard. :(

My thoughts upon replaying this were:

A) Ico at release was something quite refreshing, unique and original. But now it feels like just another indie puzzle platformer (Limbo, Braid, etc)
B) Wow, never noticed the popup in SotC was that terrible. But i shall forgive it for the smooth framerate in exchange.

leroidys

I'm going back to SotC to get the platinum, and playing it on Hard is extremely trying. It highlights just how POORLY some of the colossi are designed. I just beat 12 and it was an absolute chore. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my games of the forever, but Hard just does not do it justice. I'll have to go back and replay in normal after this to take the taste out of my mouth. Too bad the hard unlocks can not be procured in normal...

jett

D-Member
I'm going back to SotC to get the platinum, and playing it on Hard is extremely trying. It highlights just how POORLY some of the colossi are designed. I just beat 12 and it was an absolute chore. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my games of the forever, but Hard just does not do it justice. I'll have to go back and replay in normal after this to take the taste out of my mouth. Too bad the hard unlocks can not be procured in normal...

Not really, the only problem is how easy you lose your grip in the HD Collection.

leroidys

Not really, the only problem is how easy you lose your grip in the HD Collection.

Pelagia's fight isn't affected by this. You are never so much in danger of losing your grip, but he submerges after every two stabs on Hard, so you have to chase him around forever. It is tedious and irritating, especially when you miss a jump and have to do the whole thing over. I am not looking forward to beating his Hard time attack.

one85x

Pelagia's fight isn't affected by this. You are never so much in danger of losing your grip, but he submerges after every two stabs on Hard, so you have to chase him around forever. It is tedious and irritating, especially when you miss a jump and have to do the whole thing over. I am not looking forward to beating his Hard time attack.
You can jump on his head when he submerges briefly before standing up. It's a lot quicker and a lot less annoying than chasing his tail around underwater.

leroidys

I know this thread is fairly dead, but has anyone commented on the similarities of Ico and Lord Emon?

yD8mW.jpg

g8u33.jpg

They have just about the same shaped face - very round and slightly jutting forward. This is a stark contrast to everyone elses slender and angular features in the duology. If you look at their tabards, they are extremely similar. Consider the shapes rather then how the design looks plastered on as a texture, and you will see that they are essentially the same. Relate the black pentagon in the middle of Emon's to where Ico's head goes through his tabard - they are almost 1:1.

Also, notice that his mask appears to have
broken?
horns.

RMtxU.jpg

Now I'm not saying that they have to be the same person. Maybe Ico was the legendary founder of their sect, and Emon as the head priest dresses in such a way or something. My main point is that such a deliberate storyteller as Ueda would not put these connections in "just as a coincidence". He wanted to point out that there is some kind of relationship between Ico and Emon, whatever it may be.

Unicorn

Wait, so this is for download as well? Man, that will help push me over the edge as I hate switching discs now (lol DD future) but they did such a nice job with the reversible cover that I want to own it.

what to do!?
I noticed the grip mechanic not being as solid as the PS2 version as well. I was stuck on Colossus #2 for half an hour at least, always falling off trying to climb.

oh wait. This is a deal breaker. WTF?

I know this thread is fairly dead, but has anyone commented on the similarities of Ico and Lord Emon?

They have just about the same shaped face - very round and slightly jutting forward. This is a stark contrast to everyone elses slender and angular features in the duology. If you look at their tabards, they are extremely similar. Consider the shapes rather then how the design looks plastered on as a texture, and you will see that they are essentially the same. Relate the black pentagon in the middle of Emon's to where Ico's head goes through his tabard - they are almost 1:1.

Yeah, I see what you're seeing with the poncho similarities. Good catch.

jett

D-Member
Wait, so this is for download as well? Man, that will help push me over the edge as I hate switching discs now (lol DD future) but they did such a nice job with the reversible cover that I want to own it.

what to do!?

oh wait. This is a deal breaker. WTF?

Yeah the grip mechanic is FUBAR. Hard mode is an unplayable disaster, an exercise in frustration. It annoys me that it's barely brought up, there's zero chance of Bluepoint fixing their mistake. Even tried e-mailing them but they've completely ignored me.

Maybe it would be easier if you looked at the bottom of each. See how their is the same Y shape jutting up, with other shapes surrounding it? It is hard to tell the colors in the screen cap of Emon, but they are definitely pink as well.

Sorry still don't see it :p Not that it matters because there's a very big flaw on your theory. SotC is the prequel to Ico, not the other way around. Unless time travel is involved I don't see how they can be related.

leroidys

Sorry still don't see it :p Not that it matters because there's a very big flaw on your theory. SotC is the prequel to Ico, not the other way around. Unless time travel is involved I don't see how they can be related.

I know many take the "SotC is a prequel" theory as canon, but actually the evidence is extremely tenuous. Literally the only thing that indicates this is the
horned infant
at the end. But, like I said, I'm not putting forward any theories. I'm just pointing out that Ico and Emon look very similar.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling me, but here's a bad paintjob relating them.

f35EO.jpg

I wish I had a higher res cap of Emon, you lose a lot of detail blowing it up.

jett

D-Member
The clothing is similar because it takes place in the same universe. Wander also has similarly patterned clothes. It is shocking, I know. And this is me going on a limb but since Ico was sacrificed in what is obviously an ancient ritual he was probably garbed in an attire appropriate for such an occasion, something a priest like Emon would wear. Emon and Ico's clothes are not the same anyway.

SotC is a prequel of ICO, this is fact. You're really wasting your time.

leroidys

The clothing is similar because it takes place in the same universe. Wander also has similarly patterned clothes. It is shocking, I know. And this is me going on a limb but since Ico was sacrificed in what is obviously an ancient ritual he was probably garbed in an attire appropriate for such an occasion, something a priest like Emon would wear. Emon and Ico's clothes are not the same anyway.

SotC is a prequel of ICO, this is fact. You're really wasting your time.

Wow jett, reading comprehension much? None of my posts really conflict with what you said. I did notice that Wander has similar clothes, but it isn't the same color scheme as Ico's, while Emon's is.

Edit: Here is the interview that "proves" that SotC is a prequel, according to wikipedia.

Here is what Ueda actually said:

"Wired News: Is there any connection between the worlds of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus?
Fumito Ueda: There's no specific connection as far as a timeline. But, both games exist in the same world."

Unicorn

Yeah the grip mechanic is FUBAR. Hard mode is an unplayable disaster, an exercise in frustration. It annoys me that it's barely brought up, there's zero chance of Bluepoint fixing their mistake. Even tried e-mailing them but they've completely ignored me.

Happen to have the email? I feel this should be as campaigned as much as the petition to get Dark Souls on PC.

Wow jett, reading comprehension much? None of my posts really conflict with what you said. I did notice that Wander has similar clothes, but it isn't the same color scheme as Ico's, while Emon's is.

Edit: Here is the interview that "proves" that SotC is a prequel, according to wikipedia.

Here is what Ueda actually said:

Dude Ueda himself said the baby in SotC is the first of his kind. Like I said, any other theory would have to envolve time travel. He just likes to say "it's up to the gamers" alot so ppl get talking about the game.

leroidys

Dude Ueda himself said the baby in SotC is the first of his kind. Like I said, any other theory would have to envolve time travel. He just likes to say "it's up to the gamers" alot so ppl get talking about the game.

Yes, one sentence after he said

There's no specific connection as far as a timeline.

But I guess words don't have meanings. "OH THERES NO SPECIFIC CONNECTION IN TERMS OF TIMELINE? THAT MUST MEAN THAT THERE IS A SPECIFIC AND LINEAR TIMELINE!" Even if I wanted to fall into this trap, he could have he is the first demon born as a man, or anything really. It is not conclusive.

And for the fifth time I'm not even saying that this has to imply Ico comes before SotC in a linear timeline. I am just pointing out the visual similarities between Ico and Emon. Jesus.

Yes, one sentence after he said

But I guess words don't have meanings. "OH THERES NO SPECIFIC CONNECTION IN TERMS OF TIMELINE? THAT MUST MEAN THAT THERE IS A SPECIFIC AND LINEAR TIMELINE!" Even if I wanted to fall into this trap, he could have he is the first demon born as a man, or anything really. It is not conclusive.

And for the fifth time I'm not even saying that this has to imply Ico comes before SotC in a linear timeline. I am just pointing out the visual similarities between Ico and Emon. Jesus.

You realize that phrase could mean as much as "we don't know if it was 2 years later or 100 years later or 1000". But we do know is that it was LATER.

leroidys

You realize that phrase could mean as much as "we don't know if it was 2 years later or 100 years later or 1000". But we do know is that it was LATER.

Yes, they could literally happen at any time before or after or parallel to each other. However there is as of now no canon placement, and this is why I'm avoiding dating the games relative to each other, and simply pointing out another visual similarity that I hadn't seen discussed before.

Yes, they could literally happen at any time before or after or parallel to each other. However there is as of now no canon placement, and this is why I'm avoiding dating the games relative to each other, and simply pointing out another visual similarity that I hadn't seen discussed before.

Do you know the meaning behind the word "first"?

leroidys

Do you know the meaning behind the word "first"?

According to the words of Ueda, there is as of now no canon connection. He intentionally left it ambiguous so that they player could make up his or her own mind. He has said this in multiple interviews, and restated by saying in the wired interview that there is no specific connection in timeline. I realize the urge of fans to make it fit into a broader cohesive story with a specific timeline, but one simply does not exist. This is why I am not trying to connect them with one preceding the other, as Ueda himself said that there are intentionally different ways to interpret it.

Yes, and by that he means, Is the baby Ico? Or is he simply a predecessor? He is not disputing that Ico happens after SotC after he said that the baby was the first therefore Ico cannot have horns if he existed before SotC. It's that simple.

televator

Just thought I'd pop in this thread while it was bumped up just to say that I think SotC is the greatest game of all time! Of all time!

Taylor-Swift-Kanye-VMA-2009-400-01.jpg

Leroidys isn't wrong in saying that the pattern on the priest's clothing is similar to Ico's. Had you an eye, you'd see it yourself.

I don't think he is Ico, though.

Leroidys isn't wrong in saying that the pattern on the priest's clothing is similar to Ico's. Had you an eye, you'd see it yourself.

I don't think he is Ico, though.

People like to see things even though they don't exist... For example, the "black" part marked in orange, it doesn't exist in Ico's poncho That's the hole to put ur head in. They are nothing alike.

They're as similar as Wander's one:

QHC9B.jpg

leroidys

People like to see things even though they don't exist... For example, the "black" part marked in orange, it doesn't exist in Ico's poncho That's the hole to put ur head in. They are nothing alike.

They're as similar as Wander's one:

QHC9B.jpg

How are they nothing alike? They are both pentagons roughly the same size and in the same location relative to the pattern, surrounded by trim.

Relate the black pentagon in the middle of Emon's to where Ico's head goes through his tabard - they are almost 1:1.

None of my posts really conflict with what you said. I did notice that Wander has similar clothes, but it isn't the same color scheme as Ico's, while Emon's is.
Maybe if you cared to actually read the contents of my posts this disussion wouldn't be so difficult.

Relate the black pentagon in the middle of Emon's to where Ico's head goes through his tabard - they are almost 1:1."

Now do that with Wanders one and turn it upside down. OMG IT'S THE SAME! Maybe they are related too!!!

Common dude. They're all from the same culture so they all wear the same "similar" (read: not the same) things, there's no relation.

"None of my posts really conflict with what you said. I did notice that Wander has similar clothes, but it isn't the same color scheme as Ico's, while Emon's is."

Are you serious? How is it the same color scheme? Unless if by that you mean, they both have colors...

leroidys

Now do that with Wanders one and turn it upside down. OMG IT'S THE SAME! Maybe they are related too!!!

Common dude. They're all from the same culture so they all wear the same "similar" (read: not the same) things, there's no relation.

Are you serious? How is it the same color scheme? Unless if by that you mean, they both have colors...

No, I mean the same colors. Pink where its pink, white where its white, grey where its grey. Emon's has more negative space, and the colors overall are more muted in SotC than Ico, but they are the same colors.

I don't know why you feel you have to doggedly pursue these puerile internet warz non-points. You have even (finally) conceded yourself that the pattern is the same. And Wander, Ico, and Emon are the only ones in any of the games with this pattern. None of the other guards, the queen, yorda, mono, colossi, architecture, etc. have the same pattern.

I like jett's idea that it is some sort of religious or priestly garb. Emon's is more ornate, befitting his role. Maybe Ico was some sort of acolyte? This begs the question of why would Ico be suddenly brougt then, and not as a child? It should be obvious that he has horns. Well in the game it appears that he is wearing bandages around them, so it seems possible that they grew recently, as opposed to being born with them as the child in SotC is.

In addition to the literal meaning of the tabard, it's interesting to contemplate the symbolic meaning. Concerning just Wander and Emon, you could say that they are equal and opposite, as duality is a big theme in both of the games. Emon represents order and light, Wander perhaps chaos and darkness. The relation to Ico is more abstract perhaps. Both Emon and Ico did vanquish a demon, so maybe in this way they are both "light", but Ico seems to have brought chaos, instead of fulfilling the twisted "order" of the queens castle and its rows of caskets.

I didn’t wanna make a new thread, so I suppose I’ll post this in here:

I finished ICO a few days ago for the first time and just finished Shadow of the Colossus for the first time a few hours ago. I’ll keep it brief. Both are solid games, but I thought they were both definitely overrated. Between the horrendous combat in ICO and the awful controls for the horse in Shadow of the Colossus I was often frustrated and at rare times even bored. I’ve heard that both games have sad endings and that people actually cried at the end of them. The hell?!? I genuinely don’t know which parts from both games were supposed to be sad. Bleh, I think that Journey did the whole more is less/games are art thing much better and raised the bar too high. At least with that game it felt like they knew had to actually program a game and not let frustration set in.

Still good games, but overrated with some pretty big annoyances/flaws. ICO = 7.0/10. Shadow of the Colossus = 8.5/10.

krYlon

I didn’t wanna make a new thread, so I suppose I’ll post this in here:

I finished ICO a few days ago for the first time and just finished Shadow of the Colossus for the first time a few hours ago. I’ll keep it brief. Both are solid games, but I thought they were both definitely overrated. Between the horrendous combat in ICO and the awful controls for the horse in Shadow of the Colossus I was often frustrated and at rare times even bored. I’ve heard that both games have sad endings and that people actually cried at the end of them. The hell?!? I genuinely don’t know which parts from both games were supposed to be sad. Bleh, I think that Journey did the whole more is less/games are art thing much better and raised the bar too high. At least with that game it felt like they knew had to actually program a game and not let frustration set in.

Still good games, but overrated with some pretty big annoyances/flaws. ICO = 7.0/10. Shadow of the Colossus = 8.5/10.

I guess they click with some people but don't with others. SotC is still my favourite game of all time and it doesn't matter how many people tell me it's overrated it doesn't change my view. It connected with me like no other game before or since.

On the other hand I had an empty feeling playing Flower and Journey, they didn't do anything for me at all.

malfcn

This game is horrible, almost done with it. Can't wait to move onto Shadow.

Camera is bad.
Controls are bad.
Combat is bad.
Jorda's AI is bad.

What does it do right? Being abstract and arty can't be it, is it?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This game is horrible, almost done with it. Can't wait to move onto Shadow.

Camera is bad.
Controls are bad.
Combat is bad.
Jorda's AI is bad.

What does it do right? Being abstract and arty can't be it, is it?

If you thought Ico was bad, enjoy trying to climb/fight the colossi in SotC HD.

As for Ico, while I personally thought it was mediocre at best in terms of gameplay, the story and the way it was told saved it for me. I still don't think it's much better than mediocre as a game though.

Top Bottom