• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XI PS2 Thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
(This post edited to sum up the impressions from the thread. More pics are further down in the thread.)

xititle0hl.jpg

The King Of Fighters XI came out in Japan last thursday. The arcade version already rocked, but the home version is looking even better. This game now replaces Samurai Spirts Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (which is also still quite awesome, don't get me wrong!) as my pick for best 2D fighting game of 2006. I also think KOF XI is the best KOF game to date; the play mechanics are much improved over KOF 2003; the game is faster, more fluid, and has a much better roster, especially now that it's got seven more characters to choose from. This is a must-buy for any fighting game fan.

This game really makes me wonder what the deal with Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum was. It's got extremely quick load times, yet has to load up six characters into memory. NGBC has 13-18 seconds load times, and only has to load up four characters. I'm glad that KOF XI has turned out so damn well regardless. :)

xiduck0pf.jpg
xielisabeth0kh.jpg

Impressions:

-KOF XI is without a doubt the most polished and best Atomiswave-to-PS2 port from SNK yet.
-The load times are SHORTER THAN THE ARCADE VERSION. It only takes about five seconds to load up an entire match!
-The usual options are here; arranged music, six levels of sprite filtering, two screen types, etc.
-New 3D stages have been added. One of them is a concert stage for Athena, who also gets a new BGM with lyrics to go with it.
-More BGM themes have been added from previous SNK games, such as Duck King's FFS theme, B. Jenet's Garou theme, Terry's FF3/RBFF theme, Iori's KOF '95 theme, Shingo's KOF '97/'98 theme, and Yuri's AOF2 theme.

The PS2 roster has a total of 47 playable characters.

xicharaselect3qo.jpg

33 are available right from the start:

Ash Crimson
Oswald (new)
Shen Woo

Elisabeth Blanctorche (new)
Duo Lon
Benimaru Nikaido

Terry Bogard
Kim Kaphwan
Duck King (new to KOF)

Ryo Sakazaki
Yuri Sakazaki
King

Ralf Jones
Clark Steel
Whip

Athena Asamiya (new outfit)
Sie Kensou (redrawn)
Momoko (new)

Vanessa
Blue Mary
Ramon

Malin
Kasumi Todoh (returns!)
Eiji Kisaragi (not playable since KOF '95!)

B. Jenet (new to KOF)
Gato
Tizoc

K'
Kula Diamond
Maxima

Kyo Kusanagi (now has both his firefists and his fireball)
Iori Yagami
Shingo Yabuki

13 characters are hidden.

Arcade hidden/boss characters:
xisilber27mj.jpg
xihayate6bj.jpg

Adelheid Bernstein (from KOF 2003)
Gai Tendo (from Buriki One)
Silver (from Buriki One)
Sho Hayate (from Kizuna Encounter)
Jazu (from Kizuna Encounter)
Shion (new; the first boss)
Magaki (new; the end boss)

PS2 Exclusive characters, based off NGBC:
xips2chara2tv.jpg

Mai Shiranui
Mr. Big
Geese Howard
Tung Fu Rue
Robert Garcia
Hotaru Futaba
EX Kyo Kusanagi

xitungsuper3qj.jpg
ximai4hu.jpg

Game play has been improved over KOF 2003, too, as it's faster, easier to tag in and out (better button placement and you can virtually tag in and out whenever you want now) Also new to the game play in KOF XI:

-Judgment System: If a match ends in a time over, players are rated on how offensive they played, and how long/complicated their combos were, rather than life remaining.

-Skill Stocks: These are seperate from the usual power stocks (super meter). Basically, anything offensive you do takes away from the power stocks, and defensive moves, like guard evasion and instant tags take away from the skill stocks.

-Saving Shift Counters: Uses two skill stocks; you can switch another team member in while you are being hit!

-Dream Cancels: Uses two power stocks and one skill stock. A super cancel that allows you to cancel an SDM into an LDM!

You can also now change your team leader (the character who will be able to use an LDM) before every match.
xieiji3ff.jpg
xikensou3wi.jpg

Lyte Edge

SnakeXs said:
****ing awesome.

Can't wait for the store to get it in.

There really isn't much else to say here: Sell off all the other KOF games; you won't need them anymore. :D

It's really awesome getting two new KOF games in just a few months' time, too. Although KOF XI spanks Maximum Impact 2.

Lyte Edge

karasu said:
I hope it's coming to effin america.

:lol :lol :lol <--That pretty much sums it up, unfortunately. This game is reason enough to mod your PS2 or get a Swap Magic.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Any word if this is coming to the U.S.? I've been itching for a new KOF and this sounds like it may be it.

Edit: Doh! *Sigh*

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
How strong is SNK's following in Japan? Maybe MS should lock them up as exclusive for 360...I mean, if they paid the price of admission on NeoGeo, getting a 360 for KOF and Metal Slug shouldn't faze them.

Lyte Edge ROCKS!

Thank you sir, thank you for the best news I've heard in quite some time. Please keep us posted if you find out any neat hidden characters or features, but so far, I likes what I'm hearing very much.

Grifter

Mai's sprite is the updated NGBC one

Will pick this up. Mai was updated in NGBC? I didn't notice.

You're in Japan? Do you ever play KoF at the arcade, or is that too overwhelming for you?

Bebpo

Banned
So wait, is there tag or no tag in this one? I thought there was, but I looked at NCSX's notes and it sounds like traditional 3 on 3 one at a time.

Nanta

Banned
They changed some sprites, ex. ramon's far C.

hey lyte-edge, can you somehow translate all the challenge modes? I can't seem to figure out what to do for #3

LegatoB

Bebpo said:
So wait, is there tag or no tag in this one? I thought there was, but I looked at NCSX's notes and it sounds like traditional 3 on 3 one at a time.
It's still tag in the arcades. The Xbox version of KOF 2003 added a "traditional" non-tag team mode; I assume the home port of XI will have that too.

I need to order my copy from Play-Asia now; I kept forgetting to do that before it came out. Hopefully I'll get it pretty soon!

Lyte Edge

Sugarman said:
What's the entire roster list for the PS2 version?

The PS2 roster has a total of at least 45 playable characters.

33 are available right from the start:

Ash Crimson
Oswald (new)
Shen Woo

Elisabeth Blanctorche (new)
Duo Lon
Benimaru Nikaido

Terry Bogard
Kim Kaphwan
Duck King (new to KOF)

Ryo Sakazaki
Yuri Sakazaki
King

Ralf Jones
Clark Steel
Whip

Athena Asamiya (new outfit)
Sie Kensou (redrawn)
Momoko (new)

Vanessa
Blue Mary
Ramon

Malin
Kasumi Todoh (returns!)
Eiji Kisaragi (not playable since KOF '95!)

B. Jenet (new to KOF)
Gato
Tizoc

K'
Kula Diamond
Maxima

Kyo Kusanagi (now has both his firefists and his fireball)
Iori Yagami
Shingo Yabuki

13 characters are hidden.

Arcade hidden/boss characters:

Adelheid Bernstein (from KOF 2003)
Gai Tendo (from Buriki One)
Silver (from Buriki One)
Sho Hayate (from Kizuna Encounter)
Jazu (from Kizuna Encounter)
Shion (new; the first boss) <-- Not sure if she's playable. If so, that's 46!
Magaki (new; the end boss) <--Ditto. If so, that's 47!

PS2 Exclusive characters, based off NGBC:

Mai Shiranui
Mr. Big
Geese Howard
Tung Fu Rue
Robert Garcia
Hotaru Futaba
Kyo Kusanagi (another version)

HyperZone<3 said:
Lyte Edge ROCKS!

Thank you sir, thank you for the best news I've heard in quite some time. Please keep us posted if you find out any neat hidden characters or features, but so far, I likes what I'm hearing very much.

Well, I don't think there's anything more hidden beyond what SNK revealed already, but I'm glad to be of help! :)

Fatghost28 said:
How strong is SNK's following in Japan? Maybe MS should lock them up as exclusive for 360...I mean, if they paid the price of admission on NeoGeo, getting a 360 for KOF and Metal Slug shouldn't faze them.

It would be cool to have ANYTHING from SNK on 360. Their arcade games would be perfect for Live Arcade. But SNK seems to be sticking with PS2 as their main platform. Most of their fighting games do feature online play with a monthly fee (about $10) via KDDI, but I can't use it as I play on a modded U.S. PS2. 360 versions of NGBC, SS Tenka, and this game would REALLY rock.

Rumors were that NGBC was coming to 360, but nothing has come of it. They don't seem to be saying anything about KOF Maximum Impact 2 either, which was also supposedly coming to 360 in some form.

keanerie said:
Goddamit, this game is really making me want to start importing.

There are far too many good fighting (and other genres) games out there for you not to be! Frankly I don't see how anyone into these types of games doesn't just import in the first place.

Grifter said:
Will pick this up. Mai was updated in NGBC? I didn't notice.

You're in Japan? Do you ever play KoF at the arcade, or is that too overwhelming for you?

Mai got a redrawn standing pose and a redrawn head in NGBC.

Yeah, I'm in Japan. I played KOF XI like CRAZY in the arcades around here when it first came out last year, but around March or so, it seemed to have lost a lot of popularity. I think the absense of a card/ranking system really hurt this game; NGBC seemed to be incredibly popular because of it.

Bebpo said:

Tag is in, of course! It's improved over KOF 2003, too, as it's faster, easier to tag in and out (better button placement and you can virtually tag in and out whenever you want now) This is what's new to the game play in KOF XI:

-Judgment System: If a match ends in a time over, players are rated on how offensive they played, and how long/complicated their combos were, rather than life remaining.

-Skill Stocks: These are seperate from the usual power stocks (super meter). Basically, anything offensive you do takes away from the power stocks, and defensive moves, like guard evasion and instant tags take away from the skill stocks.

-Saving Shift Counters: Uses two skill stocks; you can switch another team member in while you are being hit!

-Dream Cancels: Uses two power stocks and one skill stock. A super cancel that allows you to cancel an SDM into an LDM!

You can also now change your team leader (the character who will be able to use an LDM) before every match.

Aaron

I've had some unexpected expenses that have kept me away from this game, but in a month or so it's going to move off the wishlist. It kills me though that we'll never see it in the US because I could have gotten it for free. :)

Speaking of SNK, the unofficial word is don't expect to see any of their wares on the 360. Nothing was said to me directly, but I got the vibe that they're not very happy with MS now, and none of their announced projects for the 360 will come out. This is all rumor and hersey, but with Sony still cockblocking them, the wii is probably the only place you'll see future releases, and even then it might just be their older stuff.

PS - Screw waiting. I'll order it, and let the credit card company sort it out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey Lyte, I saw this listed at one of my local stores for ichi man san sen yen...is that true? I would`ve strangely accepted that on Neo Geo...but PS2?

Lyte Edge

That's the spirit Aaron, be broke, but be happy! :lol

TheTrin said:
Hey Lyte, I saw this listed at one of my local stores for ichi man san sen yen...is that true? I would`ve strangely accepted that on Neo Geo...but PS2?

"ichi man san sen yen?" (^_^;) Do you mean &#19968;&#19975;&#19977;&#21315;&#20870;&#65311;&#65311;&#65311;&#65311; o_O TAKAI!!!

The price is around 7100 yen. Not sure what's up with that listing, but something's clearly wrong. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lyte Edge said:
That's the spirit Aaron, be broke, but be happy! :lol

"ichi man san sen yen?" (^_^;) Do you mean &#19968;&#19975;&#19977;&#21315;&#20870;&#65311;&#65311;&#65311;&#65311; o_O TAKAI!!!

The price is around 7100 yen. Not sure what's up with that listing, but something's clearly wrong. :)

Hahaha, I don`t have access to a japanese keyboard right now. D:

Yea, I knew something was ****ing wrong. Stupid listing.

Grifter

I guess these minor character touch-ups are further proof that no revamp can be expected in the coming years...

That judgement system sounds interesting if done right. It can be built on to reward the aggressor, flashy, long combos, difficult techniques, etc. and subtlely promote aggressive play (but not too much, since you can't go nuts and expect the timer to count down).

Thanks for your awesome import gaming threads, Lyte Edge! :D

Lyte Edge said:
This game really makes me wonder what the deal with Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum was. It's got extremely quick load times, yet has to load up six characters into memory. NGBC has 13-18 seconds load times, and only has to load up four characters. I'm glad that KOF XI has turned out so damn well regardless. :)

Yeah, NGBC is a real shame. Load times basically kill all the fun. On the flipside though, this bodes well for future Atomiswave ports. It's a proof that the PS2 can handle them well. Can't wait to play future titles, like that new Sega Fist of the North Star fighter! :)

Emotions

No Vice, Leona,Mature and Shermie , too bad :(
I can't believe they took Mai Shiranui off the original arcade version, what a terrible decision.
Mai Shiranui rocks. She was one of the principal KOF females along with King, Yuri, Athena & Leona.

CO_Andy

It's got Eiji, Mr. Big, and Tung effin' Rue?! No shite in calling the best in the series. How does Tung play in this one? Like FF1 Tung, FFS Tung, or RB2 Tung?

He subsequently got worse with each sequel, but i'll be damned if he's still not the most kick-ass old martial artist in gaming.

Lyte Edge

All right, going to start playing now and messing around with the game. Will probably play in arranged mode (the mode that effectively changes some things, removes some strings, and balances out the game's tiers more)

I'll start taking screengrabs too. If you have a screenshot request, post it! :)

CO_Andy said:
It's got Eiji, Mr. Big, and Tung effin' Rue?! No shite in calling the best in the series. How does Tung play in this one? Like FF1 Tung, FFS Tung, or RB2 Tung?

He subsequently got worse with each sequel, but i'll be damned if he's still not the most kick-ass old martial artist in gaming.

If he plays like NGBC Tung, he's more like hte RBS/RB2 version, which is a GOOD THING.
----------------

Here's a list of the Challenge Mode requirements from Syochan at Gamefaqs:

Challenge Mode Translation;

Beat opponent.
Grab, Tech, Special, DM, LDM are disabled.

Use special moves to beat the opponent.
Normal Attack, Tech are disabled.

Do Recovery Fall 10 times.
You have infinite health.

Break the CPU's grab attempts 5 times.
You have infinite health.

Defeat Shion.
MAX Skill and Power Guages.

Defeat Magaki.

Guard Cancel Roll 10 times.

Guard Cancel Counter 10 times.

Defeat 3 teams.
Your team members are Random.

Survive until Time Up.
Move, Roll, Grab, Tech are disabled.
Life 20%.
Timer 30 seconds.

Quick Shift 5 times.

Saving Shift 5 times.

Perform a Super Cancel.

Perform a Dream Cancel.

Reflect the attack 10 times.
Move, Roll, Tech are disabled.

Win via Time Up.
Life Guages are invisible.

Counter Hit 5 times.

Guard Cancel Shift 5 times.

Intercept opponent's Saving Shift.

Defeat all standard female characters in 10 minutes.

Perform a Quick Shift combo.

Watch your timing and defeat the opponent with a grab.
Mave, Roll, Tech are disabled.
Timer 5 seconds.

Perform a combo of 15 hits or more.
MAX Skill Guage.
DM, LDM are disabled.

Win via Perfect.
Life 0%

Do 30% damage in one combo to KO.
Timer 10 seconds.

Defeat 10 opponents in 7 minutes.

Survive until Time Up.
Life 0%.
Timer 15 seconds.

Perform a Super Cancel > Dream Cancel.

Guard Crush the opponent then win via combos.
Damage registers at 2 hits or more.

Defeat the opponent that uses Guard Cancel Counter.
Damage registers at 2 hits or more.

Do 50% damage in one combo to KO.
Life 30%.
LDM disabled.

Defeat the permanent LDm Ash, Duolon, and Shen.

Defeat the team of standard Mid Bosses.

Do 80% damage in one combo to KO.
Life 30%.

Defeat Mr. Big who was triple Attack and Defense.

Reflect all of the oppenent's attacks.
Move disabled,
Life 0%.
Timer 2 seconds.

Perfrom a combo of 20 hits or more.
MAX Skill Guage.
DM, LDM are disabled.

Defeat the permanent LDM Shen.
You are always one hit from Guard Crush.

Perform a Quick Shift combo using 3 people.

Defeat the opponent.
Only Reversals do damage.
Life 50%.

CO_Andy

Lyte Edge said:
I'll start taking screengrabs too. If you have a screenshot request, post it! :)

If he plays like NGBC Tung, he's more like hte RBS/RB2 version, which is a GOOD THING.
Screenshots of returning characters please (ones that have been long absent).

I absolutely hated Tung's voice in RB2. His original voice was very indimidating in Special.

How do the new bosses stack up? Absolute cheapness abound?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does it have the Psycho Soldier theme in it? One of the few Jpop-ish tracks that I actually enjoy.

Lyte Edge

Ah okay so you guys just want pics of the new stuff. What else would you want? :lol
I have Hotaru, Tung, EX Kyo, Gai, and Mr. Big unlocked so far. This time around, if you beat the challenge mission where you have to play as a bonus character, you get him/her right away. Basically every fifth mission are the ones to unlock characters. Apparently, if you do beat all 40 challenges, you will unlock everything in the game (some characters have to be unlocked by fighting them in arcade mode, but this will bypass that), including all the character art and endings.

Some of the missions are tough! It took me a little while to get Mr. Big, who has like 5 times more power than you do. There were matches where I switched a character in, and in one move, the entire lifebar was delpeted!

Brandon F said:
Does it have the Psycho Soldier theme in it? One of the few Jpop-ish tracks that I actually enjoy.

I haven't heard that, but again, she got a brand new theme that you might like. I do like the (arranged, original is just okay) music in this game a lot. It's a LOT better than Maximum Impact 2's music too.

Aaron

I'm mainly interested in seeing the returners or never been in KOFs before, especially Duck King and Mr. Big. The classics that make me wax nostalgic... or something. Plus with more impressions of the game to tide me over until my copy appears. :D

Lyte Edge

Okay, finally got everything unlocked. Was pretty busy over the weekend, so I didn't get a chance to take any screenshots. I have to admit it: I was having a hard time beating some of the challenges, so I went and got a completed save file. FORGIVE ME!! (;_;) But I wanted to have all the characters unlocked so I could play with my buddy on saturday. Challenge #40 with Geese vs. Terry was killing me! I am still going to play the challenges I didn't do though.

Anyone else get the game? Thoughts? I was going back and forth between this and Maximum Impact 2; XI is definitely the better game by far, but it's really awesome having two great new KOF games with enough variation in game play and rosters to make them both worth playing together.

Ichirou

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
There really isn't much else to say here: Sell off all the other KOF games; you won't need them anymore. :D

It's really awesome getting two new KOF games in just a few months' time, too. Although KOF XI spanks Maximum Impact 2.

High praise! I was actually thinking about skipping this one...guess I'll have to buy it this weekend. :D

A few friends of mine are hard core KOF fans. They say this is the best KOF since '98, and '98 is the only one I ever really got into even though '03 was much fun. So thats saying a lot.

Good to see SNK Playmore is now living up to the SNK name. Hopefully there will be some consistency from here on out..

Hoping for a US release too.. :mad:

Note to SNK: Mark of the Wolves 2! Make it so.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Okay, finally got everything unlocked. Was pretty busy over the weekend, so I didn't get a chance to take any screenshots. I have to admit it: I was having a hard time beating some of the challenges, so I went and got a completed save file. FORGIVE ME!! (;_;) But I wanted to have all the characters unlocked so I could play with my buddy on saturday. Challenge #40 with Geese vs. Terry was killing me! I am still going to play the challenges I didn't do though.

Anyone else get the game? Thoughts? I was going back and forth between this and Maximum Impact 2; XI is definitely the better game by far, but it's really awesome having two great new KOF games with enough variation in game play and rosters to make them both worth playing together.

I played a night with a friend for about 3-4 hours and I like it, especially since there are no load times. Probably my favorite SNK PS2 fighter. Not sold on the roster though, it's nice but a lot of my favorites are gone or are unlockables. I don't have the time of patience to unlock everyone (how do you even unlock everyone?) just so me and my friend can use them in VS. so I dunno, I'll hope a code or downloaded 100% save appears and use that.

Oh, and I swear it feels like there's 5 backgrounds total...wtf! Maybe the rest need to be unlocked.

My favorite part is how KoFXI Kyo is the best Kyo ever now because he has BOTH the fireball and the firepunchthing.

I'm using the Saturn pads now, but I don't like them because they're too flimsy and I'm not a fan of the PS2 d-pad so hopefully with a stick I'll be enjoying it more. Also still need to figure out all the kinks in the system. Too many times I was doing a super and accidently cancelled out to a tag. :(

PS. I wish SNK animation wasn't so crap. It's sad seeing all the Garou characters in their "we're missing 75% of are frames" version. Doujin games like Melty Blood animate hundreds of times better than SNK fighters, as do Capcom games, and even Go-Ichizoku. SNK needs more money :(

CO_Andy

Bebpo said:
Oh, and I swear it feels like there's 5 backgrounds total...wtf! Maybe the rest need to be unlocked.

I'm using the Saturn pads now, but I don't like them because they're too flimsy and I'm not a fan of the PS2 d-pad so hopefully with a stick I'll be enjoying it more.

PS. I wish SNK animation wasn't so crap. SNK needs more money :(
Little background variety?! Just when i thought the perfect KoF was as at hand. Can you confirm this Lyte Edge?

The Saturn's dpad is a step below Nuby's SF controller... Otherwise it's got better contour and far more comfortable buttons.

Isn't SNK headquarters in Korea now? They shouldn't have any trouble outsourcing animation work to a country built for that kinda labor.

Lyte Edge

Ichirou_Oogami said:
High praise! I was actually thinking about skipping this one...guess I'll have to buy it this weekend. :D

This is one 2D fighter you shouldn't skip out on! I don't think anything else coming out this year is going to be able to top this, unless the rumors about Mark of The Wolves 2 are true. :) I know Melty Blood Act Cadenza is coming out in a few months time on PS2, but no way will that beat KOF XI.

The Mighty Schwein said:
A few friends of mine are hard core KOF fans. They say this is the best KOF since '98, and '98 is the only one I ever really got into even though '03 was much fun. So thats saying a lot.

It's the best KOF, period. Yeah, I said it. :D Personally I thought KOF 2002 and then Neowave topped '98 (my personal favorite as well) from a game play standpoint, but this game is the whole package. They worked on this game for almost two years, and it really shows.

Good to see SNK Playmore is now living up to the SNK name. Hopefully there will be some consistency from here on out..

There's been consistency from them for a little while now. :) KOF XI is the third in the "trilogy of Atomiswave awesomeness, following Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum and Samurai Shodown Tenkaichi Kenkakuden. They also did a wonderful job making Maximum Impact 2 well worth it. Metal Slug 6 isn't bad either; love Ralf and Clark, and hopefully Metal Slug 3D turns out well. They've spent a lot of time on that, IIRC.

Hoping for a US release too.. :mad:

Haha, no. :( At least certainly not on PS2.

Note to SNK: Mark of the Wolves 2! Make it so.

IIRC one of the SNK Playmore interviews (might have been with Falcoon) mentioned that they were in fact working on Garou 2, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bebpo said:
I played a night with a friend for about 3-4 hours and I like it, especially since there are no load times. Probably my favorite SNK PS2 fighter. Not sold on the roster though, it's nice but a lot of my favorites are gone or are unlockables.

Well if they're unlockables it's not an issue. :p But try out the new guys; they're really good and some of them are very unique, like Gai, who plays different than everyone else in the game. Who do you use that's gone? There really aren't that many roster regulars missing; Mai was the big one, and she's back anyway.

I don't have the time of patience to unlock everyone (how do you even unlock everyone?) just so me and my friend can use them in VS. so I dunno, I'll hope a code or downloaded 100% save appears and use that.

You can unlock everything by beating all 40 challenge missions. Some are pretty tough, but you only need to beat 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 to unlock the extra PS2 characters. You get the arcade midbosses by beating them in arcade mode.

There is a save file you can download, since that's what I said I did in the last post dude! (^_^;)

Nah, there's more than that. You get to play on the two boss stages, plus they added four more (3D) backgrounds, with two variations for each as well.

My favorite part is how KoFXI Kyo is the best Kyo ever now because he has BOTH the fireball and the firepunchthing.

It was about time that they did that! Makes you wonder why anyone would care about using EX Kyo.

PS. I wish SNK animation wasn't so crap. It's sad seeing all the Garou characters in their "we're missing 75% of are frames" version. Doujin games like Melty Blood animate hundreds of times better than SNK fighters, as do Capcom games, and even Go-Ichizoku. SNK needs more money :(

A big "hell naw" to the bolded part. KOF's biggest problem is inconsistency; some characters animate quite well, others not so much. The first boss, Shion, has amazing animation; she could easily be put into SF3. But they did add animations in KOF XI and do a good bit of redrawing/editing, so things look better. I can't complain when there's 47 characters to use; I wouldn't expect Garou-quality animation from a roster that size.

CO_Andy said:
Little background variety?! Just when i thought the perfect KoF was as at hand. Can you confirm this Lyte Edge?

KOF has always had a small number of stages. There's enough variety in them though; I'll post pics of all the stages for you tonight. I also like that they added about 12 or so BGM tracks into the game, which go with individual characters (Duck, Geese, Terry, B. Jenet, Iori, etc.)

Isn't SNK headquarters in Korea now? They shouldn't have any trouble outsourcing animation work to a country built for that kinda labor.

Nope, still Japan. I believe they've had some Korean companies work on some games for them.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Well if they're unlockables it's not an issue. :p But try out the new guys; they're really good and some of them are very unique, like Gai, who plays different than everyone else in the game. Who do you use that's gone? There really aren't that many roster regulars missing; Mai was the big one, and she's back anyway.

Yeah, once I get Mai/Geese/Robert it'll be a little better.

Andy, Billy Kane (hey, hey, hey!), Joe, Kyo's dad dude are pretty much the main guys missing. I thought 2002 and 2003 had great rosters, but XI took some of the cool people out.

I don't get why they don't just STOP DROPPING PEOPLE and only add new characters each time and change a few moves (give a some new animation) to older ones. Then we'd have MvC2 level of rosters and each KoF would have more people than the last.

Btw, I am very happy about Duck King. He's my favorite addition to KoF besides Billy Kane in Neowave in years :)

Aaron

Lyte Edge said:
IIRC one of the SNK Playmore interviews (might have been with Falcoon) mentioned that they were in fact working on Garou 2, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Last thing I heard was they plan to continue the storyline, though they're not sure if it'll be in Garou 2 or some other game. Garou 2 was in progress when SNK died, but I don't think it was very far along. More importantly, they're planning on a return of Gal Fighers, probably in 3D.

I'm just doing my part to keep this topic going until the end of the week when my copy arrives. :)

Bebpo

Banned
I'm pretty sure they won't call it Garou 2 because then the animation level will obviously be compared to Garou and yeah.....:lol Sorry but it'll be a cold day in hell before SNK ever puts out another fighter that looks like that again.

Aaron

Bebpo said:
I'm pretty sure they won't call it Garou 2 because then the animation level will obviously be compared to Garou and yeah.....:lol Sorry but it'll be a cold day in hell before SNK ever puts out another fighter that looks like that again.
It'll be called Garou 2007 and be running on the Max Imp2 engine. They already have B. Jenet, Terry, and Rock there already. Less work! More money!

Lyte Edge

Okay, sorry it took so long. It was a bit difficult to get really good action screengrabs, since the game has no clean pause. CO_Andy, I checked and there a total of 17 backgrounds, counting the alternate versions of the four extra PS2 stages.

xititle0hl.jpg
xicharaselect3qo.jpg

xihotaru5lo.jpg
xirobert0bq.jpg

ximai4hu.jpg
xitung0au.jpg

xikyo1th.jpg
xihayate6bj.jpg

xieiji3ff.jpg
xibjenet1gb.jpg

xishion28yc.jpg
xigeese0qc.jpg

xisilber27mj.jpg
xivanessa27ev.jpg

xigai6jw.jpg
xielisabeth0kh.jpg

ximrbig5oj.jpg
xivanessa5er.jpg

xijyazu29og.jpg
ximomoko1bd.jpg

Lyte Edge

I threw in some pics from a few endings, and some of the bonus endings (just bonus pics). Good stuff! There are cameos from most of the missing cast, like Choi, Chang, and Takuma.

xiduck0pf.jpg
xieiji24io.jpg

xijyazu16hl.jpg
ximagaki7yl.jpg

xishion1kd.jpg
xisilber7py.jpg

xioswald1pz.jpg
xitungsuper3qj.jpg

xiash2pn.jpg
xikensou3wi.jpg

xifatalfuryend7ac.jpg
xigarouend6zk.jpg

xiaofend26km.jpg
xips2chara2tv.jpg

ximaiend4dh.jpg
xijustice7im.jpg

Ichirou

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
This is one 2D fighter you shouldn't skip out on! I don't think anything else coming out this year is going to be able to top this, unless the rumors about Mark of The Wolves 2 are true. :) I know Melty Blood Act Cadenza is coming out in a few months time on PS2, but no way will that beat KOF XI.

It's the best KOF, period. Yeah, I said it. :D Personally I thought KOF 2002 and then Neowave topped '98 (my personal favorite as well) from a game play standpoint, but this game is the whole package. They worked on this game for almost two years, and it really shows.

There's been consistency from them for a little while now. :) KOF XI is the third in the "trilogy of Atomiswave awesomeness, following Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum and Samurai Shodown Tenkaichi Kenkakuden. They also did a wonderful job making Maximum Impact 2 well worth it. Metal Slug 6 isn't bad either; love Ralf and Clark, and hopefully Metal Slug 3D turns out well. They've spent a lot of time on that, IIRC.

My fave KoF so far has been '97. Something about the way everything leading up to that game came so well together...I don't think they've ever been able to surpass it. Special spot in my heart for KoF '95 as well since it was my very first KoF game.

Act Cadenza - crappy low-res backgrounds FTL. I dunno how it plays, though...I might give it a shot.

Samurai Shodown Tenkaichi Kenkakuden is godly. Samurai Shodown Zero, however...I didn't like it at all.

Man, I'm looking at my roster of games I've picked up in the last year and EIGHT of them are SNK games. These guys are hitting them out of the park - the Neo Geo collections for PS2 are genius (especially Mark of the Wolves and Art of Fighting), the new Samurai Shodown is probably my favorite Sam Sho ever, KoFMI2 is soooo fun...

If they make Mark of the Wolves 2, with animation quality equaling or surpassing that of the original MotW, I will swear fealty to SNK forever.

Now all they need to do is make a second SNK Vs. Capcom game - and this time, make sure it doesn't suck donkey balls like the last one did.

I'm picking up KoFXI this weekend. I wish I had the broadband adapter for my PS2 so I could get that save with all the characters - I'm greedy, I want access to them right away. :D

Top Bottom