• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XI PS2 Thread

Temujin

Lince said:
ok I checked with Ignition and the game is being released here in Spain by mid-August ($ 25 and PS2 version only), hope it's worth it.

Huh? That's the releasedate for KOF: Neowave. There's no way they're bringing XI over that fast. Maximum Impact 2 is coming out this fall, so I'm guessing XI will be released early next year.

Grifter

I can't find any answer on this and would like to confirm - does the leader get any health boost? I don't notice any in the game but I think 2K3 gave the leader a minor boost.

Grifter

Thanks, Iori.

Made myself start challenge mode and finished all 40 in a bit over 4 hours. Feeling good about unlocking stuff but wondering a couple more things.

1) Any special (non-default) team endings?
2) Endless mode = survival? Any twists?

Trying to stick to an aggressive puncher team of Shen/Vanessa/X. :lol Need to check out all the unlocks from obscure SNK fighters to see if they do anything special.

1. unlocked in the gallery when you finished challenge mode
2. don't think so

Ralf (big damage) or Kyo?

Some of the best LDMs seem to be (all seem to be unpunisable); Elizabeth's Burst/Slapping thing, Adelheid's invincible godpress and Athena's Unblockable Phoenix supers.

polg

I was going throught the art in the game yesterday and some of the pics are awesome. Does anybody have these ?

Grifter

anotheriori said:
1. unlocked in the gallery when you finished challenge mode
2. don't think so

Ralf (big damage) or Kyo?

Some of the best LDMs seem to be (all seem to be unpunisable); Elizabeth's Burst/Slapping thing, Adelheid's invincible godpress and Athena's Unblockable Phoenix supers.

1. know what the character combos are? some of those ending group pics are a bit hard to make out. hell, I dunno wtf is going on in these due to the japanese, was digging for a rundown of the latest storyline but didn't find anything meaty

I think eiji has a hell of an LDM and you can wait til his DM is almost over before the DC, just never found him too appealing cuz he seems like a keepaway character with short range moves...

also trying to see if i can get a nice combo off shen LDM mode

let me see..
team justice: kim, athena, griffon/tizoc
team big brother: ryo, adelheid, gato
team birds: jazu, duck king, griffon/tizoc
team kyokugenryu: ryo, robert, yuri
team ninja: mai, jazu, eiji
those are a few, in the gallery endings it should show what character combos gives you that ending or special image.

yea shen in ldm is pretty nasty with his buff damage.

Grifter

yeah, I mean hitting the LDM DC and continuing to combo w/them in stun. hmm, haven't tried to SC a special into LDM yet, gotta see if that works

speaking of adelheid, I'm sad that a badass like rugal has such an effeminate son

this game must sets a record for people shooting fireballs from their feet

Grifter said:
yeah, I mean hitting the LDM DC and continuing to combo w/them in stun. hmm, haven't tried to SC a special into LDM yet, gotta see if that works

speaking of adelheid, I'm sad that a badass like rugal has such an effeminate son

this game must sets a record for people shooting fireballs from their feet
yea, but kinda makes sense in the design since he's completely emotionally depended on his younger sister. Very odd sister complex. So he can't be manly by design hah.

Oh for that it seems like you'd need atleast 3+ levels to do any major damage that way, DC from his headbutt super will allow you to be close enough to do any thing, and after the DC you're still too far away to do any real damage, you could however do another headbutt super, so you'd need 4 levels just to do anything.

Grifter

you playing shen too? any advice? I'm just bullrushing in w/f+B so far and looking for openings to cancel to mappa punch>SC.

He seem pretty dependent on levels to do major damage (like crouching b, a, headbutt super), but some other tactics i've found with him are like constant rushing then mixing up the command grab or the overhead smash. Also you can use his standing c's autoguard as an anti air if you time it right. Also the standard combo; close c, forward+b, mappa punch (a version) then afterwards you're at advangtage so you could do down b etc. into super, command grab.. or overhead smash. (the latter 2 should work in theory).

Also, if you didn't know already when you cancel into his LDM it removes the startup animation/frames but If you do the LDM by itself it has a bit of startup. During this startup he is completely invincible and the explosion does like 70% damage if they touch it. You can't combo it but you could use it when you expect them to do something that has slow recovery.

Grifter

is headbutt a throw? i forget offhand. been having good success measuring to get in and hit the bnb in constantly. is anything guarenteed after command throw?

is any documentation on super cancel scaling? looks like they added some from my playing but not sure to what extent.

quick shifting into some characters seem like a pain in the ass for connecting the jumpin while others are brainless...but I'm playing arranged. was trying to QS into...kensou I think it was and kept missing but eiji's is super meaty and stuns forever

edit: also wanted to point out how fun and tactical gai's ldm is, tho I wouldn't use it at the arcade

Grifter said:
is headbutt a throw? i forget offhand. been having good success measuring to get in and hit the bnb in constantly. is anything guarenteed after command throw?

is any documentation on super cancel scaling? looks like they added some from my playing but not sure to what extent.

quick shifting into some characters seem like a pain in the ass for connecting the jumpin while others are brainless...but I'm playing arranged. was trying to QS into...kensou I think it was and kept missing but eiji's is super meaty and stuns forever

edit: also wanted to point out how fun and tactical gai's ldm is, tho I wouldn't use it at the arcade
headbutt isn't a throw. its pretty much guaranteed except for save shifts.
I dunno about docs, but scaling is significant.

yeah its kinda scary when you get hit by that.

how much import friendly is this game? (I can't read Japanese)
playable, you'll miss the dialogs/commads but you can find that online.

There's a chance this is coming out in a couple weeks in Australia (6th Feb according to distributor QVS Software, although the game has yet to be rated by the OFLC) .. are you guys still playing it much? Anyone care to offer their opinion on the single player aspects of it?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
the androgyne said:
There's a chance this is coming out in a couple weeks in Australia (6th Feb according to distributor QVS Software, although the game has yet to be rated by the OFLC) .. are you guys still playing it much? Anyone care to offer their opinion on the single player aspects of it?

It's pretty much like any other fighting game in that there's single player modes available, but obviously it's made with multiplayer in mind. The challenge mode will keep you busy for a little while, and after that it's the standard mode selections like arcade and survival.

You should read through this thread from the beginning to get a good idea of what the game has to offer. If single player is really what you're looking for, you may want to look into KOF Maximum Impact 2 (AKA KOF 2006), which has a HUGE single player mode. Thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3220440#post3220440

kingfightersxiboxart_160w.jpg

Online?!!!!!!!!!! :O

Goddamnit, i need this game!

I don't wanna import it. Me need a US Version :(

(P.S. Will the import be playable on PS3?)

Lyte Edge

shagg_187 said:
kingfightersxiboxart_160w.jpg

Online?!!!!!!!!!! :O

Goddamnit, i need this game!

I don't wanna import it. Me need a US Version :(

(P.S. Will the import be playable on PS3?)

The game is only playable on Japanese PS3s. It looks nice, too, and the load times are even shorter on PS3. :D

Don't get excited about the online. It's pay-to-play using KDDI and only works in Japan. Actually most of the SNK fighters released the last couple of years have had online play here. Never tried it myself, maybe one day I'll pay for a month and see how many people play online...

Error2k4 said:
this is not coming here right? :(

You mean the U.S.? Who knows. SNK USA is insane.

Lyte Edge

Here's some shots of KOF XI, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, and SS Tenkaichi Kenkakuden on PS3 that I took a while back. Atomiswave games look great on PS3.

The King Of Fighters XI

kofxips31kv9.jpg

kofxips32sk2.jpg

kofxips33bh3.jpg

Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum

ngbcps32it9.jpg

ngbcps31zb8.jpg

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden

sstsp31mz8.jpg

sstsp32sx2.jpg

sstsp33qf2.jpg

sstsp34rw9.jpg

virtuafightermaster said:
Does this game still stay at NeoGeo resoluation?

KOF XI is not a Neo-Geo game, therefore no, it doesn't. It looks as good as a game using Neo-Geo sprites is ever going to look. All the Atomiswave SNK fighters look nice considering that they are using the old sprites.

You can choose the level of filtering that you want to use in KOF XI. There's six different settings, going from complete blur to completely unfiltered sprites.

BitchTits

virtuafightermaster said:
I just think SNK needs to step up to the Guilty Gear Graphic Quality standard.

SNK say KOFXII will use completely re-done/new spirtes.

Expect news around mid-February when there is the AOU show.

having trouble unlocking Geese with the alternate method, since it would take less time to do that than the ordinary method... when it says "quit" that means go to "Give Up" right?

I got this recently. It's awesome, best KOF ever imo. It looks and sounds good, amazing considering the series recent track record. Seeing the effort that was put into this makes it easier to believe the next game will have all new sprites. Very fast and fun, and the best roster so far too. Annoying bastards like Joe and Choi got nicked and there seems to be no severely low tier characters, everyone can hold their own (unless against a boss). I have to mention how cool the mid-boss (Shion) is. She has a long, wobbly stick with a blade at the end and how she animates and moves is the closest representation of a martial arts badass in a 2d game yet. I can't wait to see what KOF12 is like.

zoukka

I saw this in my local supermarket and thought about buying. Is this a good title to start learning KOF? Never played a single game of the series and it seems interesting (2D-fighter DUH). So is it gonna rape me at the start?

How does this compare to Guilty Gear gameplay-wise?

LowParry

zoukka said:
I saw this in my local supermarket and thought about buying. Is this a good title to start learning KOF? Never played a single game of the series and it seems interesting (2D-fighter DUH). So is it gonna rape me at the start?

How does this compare to Guilty Gear gameplay-wise?

It's my first entry into the KOF series as well and I started with XI. Man oh man, is there a lot, and I mean LOT to learn. I can't even pull of Dream Cancels for the life of me. But I'm also goin at this with an arcade stick (HRAP3) as well. Even if I do suck at the game right now, it's hella fun. Just sucks that no one else that I know who's into fighters will play this -sadface-. They're all Tekken and VF junkies.

Edit: Oh, and as far as comparing it to GG, they're both damn fine games. Every 2D fan should own them. (And the Alpha Trilogy. Hot shit!)

zoukka

CcrooK said:
It's my first entry into the KOF series as well and I started with XI. Man oh man, is there a lot, and I mean LOT to learn. I can't even pull of Dream Cancels for the life of me. But I'm also goin at this with an arcade stick (HRAP3) as well. Even if I do suck at the game right now, it's hella fun. Just sucks that no one else that I know who's into fighters will play this -sadface-. They're all Tekken and VF junkies.

Edit: Oh, and as far as comparing it to GG, they're both damn fine games. Every 2D fan should own them. (And the Alpha Trilogy. Hot shit!)

I think I'll just pick it up and toss it if it doesn't click ;)

I played NEO-GEO Fighters like Last Blade 2, Samurai Showdown 3, Garou and such when I visited this games-collector and fell in love with the looks/feel of those games. Unbelievable stuff (but expensive) and have been looking since fighters that had a similar "touch" to them. I like GG, but they are a very different kind of thing.

I have a few friends that play Tekken, and I'm gonna force them to play this with me. Sounds like a good party game too, with that ridicilous roster :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
polg said:
my cousin was telling the backstory about this game, which sounds pretty cool
How Kyo gets the orochi powers or something like that. He gets the red flame + iori's purple flame

That's not Kyo, it's Ash. In 2003 he
stole Maki's mirror,in result Ash a followup to his LDM wich restrain the opponent to use special for some time like one of Maki's DM in 98'.

Then in the endings of XI, he manage to stole Iori's purple flame. So we can assume, Ash will have a opponent freezing special in XII like Iori in past Kofs.

So in XII, Ash will try to steal Kyo's flame...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I am absolutely loving this game right now, though my save file just got corrupted after completing most of the challenge mode. Awesome :(

2DMention

Banned
Bump. LTTP after getting into 2d fighters again courtesy of SFIV.

Great game, pretty deep.

The last boss is extremely cheap. I can't even get close to him!
How do you tag out characters? I don't see that covered in the manual?

Top Bottom