• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XI PS2 Thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ichirou_Oogami said:
Now all they need to do is make a second SNK Vs. Capcom game - and this time, make sure it doesn't suck donkey balls like the last one did.

They kind of did...that's what Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum is. :) It's just that there's no Capcom!

I'm picking up KoFXI this weekend. I wish I had the broadband adapter for my PS2 so I could get that save with all the characters - I'm greedy, I want access to them right away. :D

BBA? I don't use that for save files. I use the AR Max.

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
This is one 2D fighter you shouldn't skip out on! I don't think anything else coming out this year is going to be able to top this, unless the rumors about Mark of The Wolves 2 are true.

It's the best KOF, period. Yeah, I said it. :D Personally I thought KOF 2002 and then Neowave topped '98 (my personal favorite as well) from a game play standpoint, but this game is the whole package. They worked on this game for almost two years, and it really shows.

So they skipped 2004 and released this in 2005? I wasn't sure if they were slowed due to less staff/finances or something of that sort. Is there going to be a 2k6 next year? Or XII?

For 2005 releases coming to PS2 in 2006, this has already been topped. By GGXX/. :D

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Well I'm back. Been playing more often, and wow. SNK did it right. SO far the balance seems pretty ok, nothing to bad either way.

But man is it fun. Buddies of mine, who, in their ignorance, always claimed "SNK fighters" were too slow. They're just haters, but I opened them up to it and they're loving it. Says a lot, coming from that group of close minded ninnies.

Beni, Terry (WHAT THE ****, first my Rising Taco was taken a la MotW, and I was ok, but now power dunk isn't even an overhead? Bastards!), Hotaru (still getting used to her in this), Tizoc, Vanessa, Whip, Ryo, and the almighty B. Mary round out my usuals, but I toy with all but 5-10 of the cast. So much fun.

Shit now I wanna go play again.

Bebpo

Banned
I actually find XI to be too fast. The damage dealt/taken is really high and matches end much quicker than say MvC2.

polg

has anyone played this on a hdtv?
I want to get it, but I'm worried it will be TOO pixelated. Do those pixel settings work?

Lyte Edge

Grifter said:
So they skipped 2004 and released this in 2005? I wasn't sure if they were slowed due to less staff/finances or something of that sort. Is there going to be a 2k6 next year? Or XII?

Yeah, there was no KOF 2004. KOF Neowave came out in its place, and there was also the first Maximum Impact in 2004 as well. 2005 was nothing but XI in the arcade, and that came out at the end of the year. They haven't announced the next KOF yet, but I'm sure it will use "KOF XII" for the name, if not something else.

For 2005 releases coming to PS2 in 2006, this has already been topped. By GGXX/. :D

Ahahaha NO. :) And where the hell is a PS2 Hokuto No Ken already??

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Where can I get that?

Any game store should stock it; it's the Pro Action Replay 3 version 3.5. The pricetag is quite high, however...like about 10,000 yen. o_O

Bebpo said:
I actually find XI to be too fast. The damage dealt/taken is really high and matches end much quicker than say MvC2.

You might want to play on the arrange setting for game types. It will balance the game out a bit more and tone some damage levels down. It's basically like an update to the game, although some strategies will no longer be effective.

Bebpo

Banned
polg said:
has anyone played this on a hdtv?
I want to get it, but I'm worried it will be TOO pixelated. Do those pixel settings work?

Looks great on my HDTV, but I'm using a CRT. I would assume it looks like ass on an LCD or any other fixed pixel display.

polg

Bebpo said:
Looks great on my HDTV, but I'm using a CRT. I would assume it looks like ass on an LCD or any other fixed pixel display.

I'll be going component over a lcd :\

Lyte Edge

It might look okay on an HDTV, since the backgrounds are high-res, and you can really filter/blur those sprites on the level 1 setting.

Kaworu said:
PAL date?

Haven't you guys been getting shafted by SNK, with a ton of cancellations lately?

If you're into fighting games, importing is the only way to go.

Joico

Since I have a US PS2, what can I use other than a modchip to play imports? Hopefully you can tell me to find something cheap like a swap disc.

Lyte Edge

Joico said:
Since I have a US PS2, what can I use other than a modchip to play imports? Hopefully you can tell me to find something cheap like a swap disc.

Yeah, Swap Magic should work fine. I'm not really sure about the current versions, as I use a modified U.S. PS2 to play everything.

Really sucks since I want to play this game online, but can't. :(

Ichirou

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Any game store should stock it; it's the Pro Action Replay 3 version 3.5. The pricetag is quite high, however...like about 10,000 yen. o_O

Language options are in English? Is this the US version imported into Japan or did they actually release it here? :eek:

Lyte Edge

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Language options are in English? Is this the US version imported into Japan or did they actually release it here? :eek:

It's all Japanese, but very easy to use. This is an official Japanese release, yes.

I completed the challenge mode yesturday (all 40 challenges) and boy some of them are ridiculous; 10 (survive with robert against king 20 seconds without moving doin only specials with 20% life), 33 (fight against 3 boss characters), and 40 (stupid geese vs terry counters only do damage while terry does random moves, I wanna shoot the person who decided this challenge).

It was kinda worth it though for all the stuff it unlocked.

I'm really liking Ash's design more and more even though he's very metro bordering on gay. Very unconventional protagonist.. er maybe antagonist? He's very sly while pretending to be cute. Like the 2 main endings the Kyo&Iori team and the Rival Team (Elizabeth/Beni/Duolon) which depict the conclusion to the tournament. After Kyo is knocked out by the Blood Riot Iori, Ash just waltzes in and kick's Iori's ass and steals his powers too but spares Kyo for now. That's pretty badass. Then in the Rival Team ending he's plays cute/dumb with his facial expressions even though he could probably take out all three of them.

It would be nice to get the text translation for all the endings though.

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
Ahahaha NO. :) And where the hell is a PS2 Hokuto No Ken already??

That's cool, some people prefer Tekken over VF too. J/k...Tekken releases tend to up the ante on graphics. Anyway, I just put in an order for Slash, Twinkle Star Sprites, and KoF XI. Sounds like a return to glory for the series, tho the idea of unlocking features through challenge mode conditions make me cringe.

I imagine the HnK delay is due to Slash, tho I wonder whatever happened to RF2.

BTW, does arrange mode actually make the game 'better?' Besides the rebalancing, it seems like there are slight changes to the engine itself.

Supposedly arrange mode is kofxi nerfed, since they tone down the properties of almost everyone's poking game (crouching a/bs) along with most of the tactics availiable in the original. So instead of making other characters stronger they just weaked alot of the top tiers.

I was scouring cyberfantix and found some of the endings with okay translations;
I put them as links because they are spoiler. I also grouped them accordingly since some of the endings are related.

main ending
Ash Team (Ash, Shen Wuu, Ozwald)
Backstory: Supposedly at the beginning of the tournament Ash promised Oswald and Shen respective rewards for winning the tournament. Oswald: money and information about drugs, Shen: a poweful opponent. The backstory is that Shen also owns the information about the "Dragon Pill" drug : see his LDM. Ash rewards each of them by introducing them to each other.
Kyo and Iori Team (Kyo, Iori, Shingo)
Rival Team (Elizabeth, Beni, Duolon)
Backstory: Ash and Elizabeth were working together at one point.

aof stuff
Kyokugenryu Team (Ryo, Yuri, King)
Anti-Kyokugenryu Team (Eiji, Kasumi, Malin)

other endings
Garou Team (Gato, B. Jenet, Tizoc/Griffon)

Neo Psycho Soldier Team (Kensou, Athena, Momoko)

K' Team (K', Maxima, Kula)

Missing:
Ikari Team, Agents Team and Fatal Fury Team.

Ikari Team ending is related to the k' team's ending. (Clark, Ralf, Whip)
Summary: Heidern is lecturing to the people aboard the air craft carrier about the results after the end of KOF. They are analyzing Magaki's information when Heidern is confronted are by 2 mysterious female character which take his eye patch and play with it. The carrier is under attack.

Fatal Fury Team (Terry, Duck, Kim)
Summary: They are all celebrating at the PaoPao Cafe then Kim goes on lecturing about Justice and such... hours later the party is over and everyone has left while Kim is still there drunk and still lecturing.

Agents Team (Vanessa, Blue Mary, Ramon)
Summary (not really): The agents including Seth make their way via helicopter to the air craft carrier where the Ikari and K' team are at.

Here's also the video form of the ending sequence for Kyo & Iori Team Ending its in untranslated form including the Magaki sequence that all endings get.

Lyte Edge

ViktVaughn said:
i want! do we have an american release date yet?

Nope. You likely won't see this released on PS2 in the States. :(

Grifter said:
That's cool, some people prefer Tekken over VF too. J/k...Tekken releases tend to up the ante on graphics.

No that's cool, it's just that you have it backwards and KOF is to VF where as GG is to Tekken. GG is just as guilty (no pun intended) of rehashing graphics too. :) That's just how it's always been with 2D fighters, and will likely never change.

I imagine the HnK delay is due to Slash, tho I wonder whatever happened to RF2.

There's no delay; a PS2 port has yet to be announced! TRF2 seems to be in limbo; the game wasn't very popular in arcades, unfortunately, so we may not see it at home. It's too bad as the new characters are very interesting additions to the cast.

BTW, does arrange mode actually make the game 'better?' Besides the rebalancing, it seems like there are slight changes to the engine itself.

I know that some of the glitches have been removed, so in that sense, I guess it is. I would say if you don't plan on playing this in the arcades any time soon, stick to arranged mode.

anotheriori said:
I'm really liking Ash's design more and more even though he's very metro bordering on gay. Very unconventional protagonist.. er maybe antagonist? He's very sly while pretending to be cute.

Defintely an
antoganist in disguise. He's clearly going to end up as the bad guy in the one of the future games. Although it's supposed to be an alternate universe, if you want the KOF Another Day anime shorts, you can see how his handiwork effects an entire city.
KOF's storyline tends to make little sense anyway though. :)

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
No that's cool, it's just that you have it backwards and KOF is to VF where as GG is to Tekken. GG is just as guilty (no pun intended) of rehashing graphics too. :) That's just how it's always been with 2D fighters, and will likely never change.

You can't possibly have typed that w/a straight face.

Now, I've been with the Neo since games like Nam '75 and Magician Lord and played the hell out of its early fighters like FF so I don't want to argue vs. SNK or fighters in general when they're a dying breed.

I'm enjoying both games but to expand on my VF vs. Tekken analogy, VF is known for its system and character depth, while Tekken has its own deep level of play, but from my brief runs within both tourney communities, Tekken players can be very proficient with several characters on the roster while VF players tend to master fewer characters. Same applies to GG vs. KoF. It'd be a far more daunting task to learn GGXX/'s 20 or so characters than it would be to learn KoFXI 45. Far, far more.

Another comparison between Tekken and KoF is both series are notorious for broken balance and a small god tier of playable characters, with KoF culminating in '03 where Duo Lon beasts on the entire KoF cast. A further annoyance from my days in competitive KoF (I've played them all) is the abuse of hops and poking for jab>fierce type chains.

VF is praised for its roster balance and so has GG since GGXX, with each iteration improving upon the previous version. GG's balance doesn't approach VF -- Eddie and Slayer were very strong prior to Slash but every character in GG is equipped to win his fair share, no garbage tier, no god tier.

GG has rehashed sprites for years but they get a pass because their standard has yet to be surpassed. You can argue the character designs (I was cold to the roster at first til Slayer came along in XX, then I started to appreciate what they were going for with the quirky anime inspired style), but you can't argue with their quality and clarity. How can they improve? They have pretty much perfected their game and a true sequel will call for a considerable amount of changes that are sure to disappoint a percentage of Arc's fanbase. I was playing Yuri in KoF XI today and wished aloud that I could use her CvS2 sprite, and that was done in what, 2002?

I'm thinking up other points like the actual diversity between characters (again, KoF to Tekken, shotos to Mishimas and Anna/Nina type model swaps) but I've said enough. Maybe GG intimidated you like VF does to some people so here's an archive link that I found on its systems.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050306060047re_/www.gamecombos.com/games/ggxx/

Lyte Edge said:
There's no delay; a PS2 port has yet to be announced! TRF2 seems to be in limbo; the game wasn't very popular in arcades, unfortunately, so we may not see it at home. It's too bad as the new characters are very interesting additions to the cast.

Nobody played TRF and that came out, so I'm disappointed in missing out on TRF2. =(

Lyte Edge

Grifter said:
You can't possibly have typed that w/a straight face.

Now, I've been with the Neo since games like Nam '75 and Magician Lord and played the hell out of its early fighters like FF so I don't want to argue vs. SNK or fighters in general when they're a dying breed.

And yet here you are! :)

I'm enjoying both games but to expand on my VF vs. Tekken analogy, VF is known for its system and character depth, while Tekken has its own deep level of play, but from my brief runs within both tourney communities, Tekken players can be very proficient with several characters on the roster while VF players tend to master fewer characters. Same applies to GG vs. KoF. It'd be a far more daunting task to learn GGXX/'s 20 or so characters than it would be to learn KoFXI 45. Far, far more.

GG is not VF. And KOF's roster has been built up for YEARS, with characters also taken from other games, making the roster pretty deep. It's not a game filled with shoto clones. (Nor is GG, of course)

Another comparison between Tekken and KoF is both series are notorious for broken balance and a small god tier of playable characters,

That's like every fighting game, (again) sans VF dude. :lol

VF is praised for its roster balance and so has GG since GGXX, with each iteration improving upon the previous version. GG's balance doesn't approach VF -- Eddie and Slayer were very strong prior to Slash but every character in GG is equipped to win his fair share, no garbage tier, no god tier.

VF is in a class by itself. No other fighting game comes close to being as balanced as it is. I'm no GG Slash expert, but I'm sure if I checked among the community, I'd find plenty of people claiming that one character is still better than another.

GG has rehashed sprites for years but they get a pass because their standard has yet to be surpassed.

What standard? Bizarre off-the-wall anime designs? Transvestites? Other games have also had high-res characters. GG's biggest problem is that its character animation needs to be a lot better IMO.

You can argue the character designs (I was cold to the roster at first til Slayer came along in XX, then I started to appreciate what they were going for with the quirky anime inspired style), but you can't argue with their quality and clarity.

Sure I can. They make the whole game with high res sprites, but it doesn't matter when the designs aren't that appealing. Hokuto No Ken is far better-looking in that regard.

How can they improve? They have pretty much perfected their game and a true sequel
will call for a considerable amount of changes that are sure to disappoint a percentage of Arc's fanbase. I was playing Yuri in KoF XI today and wished aloud that I could use her CvS2 sprite, and that was done in what, 2002?

Yuri in CvS is from 2000. Yuri in KOF has also been redrawn a number of times, most recently in KOF 2003. I like her current look myself.

I'm thinking up other points like the actual diversity between characters (again, KoF to Tekken, shotos to Mishimas and Anna/Nina type model swaps) but I've said enough.

I'm not really seeing the KOF to Tekken compariosn, sorry, but then I generally don't put 2D and 3D fighters together. Different animals.

Maybe GG intimidated you like VF does to some people so here's an archive link that I found on its systems

Haha, no, and I've also gotten every GG game that's been released so far. I've had GG Slash since its release, and I played it a bit in the arcades before that. Once again, it's only VF that can be put up on that pedastel.

This is nothing more than a matter of opinion, but then I play fighting game just to have FUN, and to me KOF XI is a far more fun fighting game than GG Recycled Slash will ever be. Clearly you don't agree, and that's cool too.

Nobody played TRF and that came out, so I'm disappointed in missing out on TRF2. =(

It IS as surprise that it hasn't been announced. Maybe the PS2 TRF sold really poorly. I can't even play the game anymore; the local arcade that had it got rid of it back when SS Tenka came out last year.

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
And yet here you are! :)

That was before I started typing. :) I'll answer your points and I'll be done.

Lyte Edge said:
GG is not VF. And KOF's roster has been built up for YEARS, with characters also taken from other games, making the roster pretty deep. It's not a game filled with shoto clones. (Nor is GG, of course)

The very fact that KoF grabbed the stars of SNK's other rosters ensured a myriad of shoto clones and I don't see how you can argue that point. '94 has entire teams of shoto formulas (AoF team, FF team). SNK tried to moved away from that by changing up several characters like punchy Kyo and I appreciate that (then controversial) approach but even today, you have a couple Guiles (Ash, Robert...) and countless fireball-DP dudes. Oh, did they remove Terry's rising tackle?

Lyte Edge said:
VF is in a class by itself. No other fighting game comes close to being as balanced as it is. I'm no GG Slash expert, but I'm sure if I checked among the community, I'd find plenty of people claiming that one character is still better than another.

If you don't know, then please don't assume. I know KoF has conditioned you towards broken games but you can stop the bleeding. Go ahead and check the GG community if you must.

I'll bet GG has tiers, but they are vague enough that GGXX/ isn't completely decided and again, no gods, no garbage. From what I'm told about Gato/Duck/Oswald, SNK did one better than Duo Lon alone and no more. Maybe arranged fixes it all but based on their track record, I'm not holding my breath.

And no, not every game has a god tier of 1-3 characters. Consider MvC2, with about 10 usable characters. 3S has Chun and Yun, but nobody is outright garbage. I play for fun too but worthless characters are not fun for very long.

Lyte Edge said:
What standard? Bizarre off-the-wall anime designs? Transvestites? Other games have also had high-res characters. GG's biggest problem is that its character animation needs to be a lot better IMO.

For starters, GG's "shotos" are radically different and original in their play. Sol's geared towards close-range combos and Ky more on a pokey, short combo and air game. Arc has twists on the formula that I enjoy just as I enjoy scrappy woman boxers and pixy schoolgirl sumos. You bring up Bridget, who is a creepy design, but isn't not too out of the ordinary in manga? Now take a real look at his complex yo-yo based move set. Do any 5 KoF characters match up to his play design? As for animation, I personally don't see any problem but I do enjoy 3S' style. I don't however, deem it a requirement to animate fireballs in like 30 frames, but I would take it. It's depressing for me to see Capcom revert from SF3 to CFJ too.

Lyte Edge said:
Sure I can. They make the whole game with high res sprites, but it doesn't matter when the designs aren't that appealing. Hokuto No Ken is far better-looking in that regard.

From what I've seen of HnK, the sprite quality looks similar to GGXX but drawn really close to the manga style, tho I suppose that is an upgrade in detail so you're right.

Lyte Edge said:
How can they improve? They have pretty much perfected their game and a true sequel

...I think you're talking about GGXX here?

Lyte Edge said:
Yuri in CvS is from 2000. Yuri in KOF has also been redrawn a number of times, most recently in KOF 2003. I like her current look myself.

Yuri was completely redrawn, or sprite tweaks? I wasn't comparing her to her entrance in KoF94, but even comparing CvS' sprites to KoFXI is a sad drop in quality.

Lyte Edge said:
This is nothing more than a matter of opinion, but then I play fighting game just to have FUN, and to me KOF XI is a far more fun fighting game than GG Recycled Slash will ever be. Clearly you don't agree, and that's cool too.

Completely agree, and I am not telling you what to play. Incidentally, I have my most fun in competition and you do in the cosplay and fanfiction scene. Joking, I'm sure you're having the time of your life with the comp at Japanese arcades. Hell, I played the hell out of some KoFs in NYC and was facing and using broken characters because they were fun. The striker system and its infinites did scared me off for a good while.

You replied to a comparison that I whimsically threw out and I enjoyed the idea of connecting the dots. I'm not saying GG is as good as VF, but running with the concept that GG is to KoF as VF is to Tekken.

That's a final thought on KoF-Tekken from a Tekken/KoF veteran buddy of mine.

Characters in Tekken all have standard formulas because of the game system of launch, juggle, wall, throws, pokes, etc.

Tekken and KoF are defined by the game system whereas the game system in VF and GG help balance the overall game.

Lyte Edge

Grifter said:
The very fact that KoF grabbed the stars of SNK's other rosters ensured a myriad of shoto clones and I don't see how you can argue that point.

You mean the nine or so characters from Fatal Fury and Art Of Fighting? Sure, that flies, but only back in....

'94 has entire teams of shoto formulas (AoF team, FF team). SNK tried to moved away from that by changing up several characters like punchy Kyo and I appreciate that (then controversial) approach but even today, you have a couple Guiles (Ash, Robert...) and countless fireball-DP dudes. Oh, did they remove Terry's rising tackle?

KOF '94 and the first few follow-ups. KOF NOW, which is what this thread is about, is quite different. There are those shoto-style characters, to be sure, but when you have 47 characters to choose from, there's plenty of variety to go around. You say "countless firebal-DP dudes," but they play differently than Ken and Ryu. And what about the likes of Kim, Mary, Ramon, Ralf, Clark, Malin, Duck, Oswald, Gato, Gai, Silber, and more?

If you don't know, then please don't assume
. I know KoF has conditioned you towards broken games but you can stop the bleeding. Go ahead and check the GG community if you must.

LIKEWISE HAW HAW HAW (kidding)

Dude, I play EVERYTHING. Obviously some games more than others, but I like having lots to play.

I'll bet GG has tiers, but they are vague enough that GGXX/ isn't completely decided and again, no gods, no garbage. From what I'm told about Gato/Duck/Oswald, SNK did one better than Duo Lon alone and no more. Maybe arranged fixes it all but based on their track record, I'm not holding my breath.

Nah. Those same guys were raving about how other characters like B. Jenet and Malin were at the top, too. It depends on where you're playing and against who, except in extreme cases like Duo Lon in 2003 and such. I see plenty of varied teams in KOF XI all time.

And no, not every game has a god tier of 1-3 characters. Consider MvC2, with about 10 usable characters. 3S has Chun and Yun, but nobody is outright garbage. I play for fun too but worthless characters are not fun for very long.

Yeah, "about 10 usable characters..." OUT OF 56. That's crap. :/ It also boils down to the game engine. In asstastic MvC2, you likely do stand no chance against the top tiers, but in other games, it's a challenge to use the underpowered guys. I used to love using Dan against people in SFA2 and SFA3.

Do any 5 KoF characters match up to his play design?

You mean like say, Gai (NO ONE plays like he does in ANY 2D fighting game, period), Mary, Malin, Clark, Ralf, Whip, and Gato?

As for animation, I personally don't see any problem but I do enjoy 3S' style. I don't however, deem it a requirement to animate fireballs in like 30 frames, but I would take it. I

The "problem" with GG is that you have these awesome high-res sprites, and then medium-quality animation. If GG animated like SF3, it would be amazing, but the game's lack of animation at times (like all other fighters, so I'm not singling this out), is just more noticeable because of the sprite quality.

It's depressing for me to see Capcom revert from SF3 to CFJ too.

Yeah, but that's not even in regards to animation. That's like EVERYTHING with that game. :/ They just threw a bunch of stuff together and touched up a character's head or two. Then you look at NGBC, which is the same formula of inter-company crossover fighting, and they took the time to redraw sprites and make brand new ones for older returning characters. What Capcom did was the epitomy of laziness, and it really sucks that they seem to have lost all drive to make a brand-new fighter. I would much rather have preferred the 3D Capcom Fighting All-Stars to CFJ. At least it was something somewhat new...

From what I've seen of HnK, the sprite quality looks similar to GGXX but drawn really close to the manga style, tho I suppose that is an upgrade in detail so you're right.

Yes, it's more akin to the anime style, but it's quite detailed and chocked full of fanservice relating to HnK. It's got its problems with character balance too, but I find it a hell of a lot more fun to play than GG, mainly because I just prefer the characters over the GG ones.

...I think you're talking about GGXX here?

I somehow seemed to have unquoted what you wrote there! :lol

Yuri was completely redrawn, or sprite tweaks? I wasn't comparing her to her entrance in KoF94, but even comparing CvS' sprites to KoFXI is a sad drop in quality.

Completely redrawn for the most part IIRC. She's been changed in '96, '99, and 2003 IIRC.
The current version is a more "anime" style look compared to a lot of the other characters.

Completely agree, and I am not telling you what to play. Incidentally, I have my most fun in competition and you do in the cosplay and fanfiction scene. Joking, I'm sure you're having the time of your life with the comp at Japanese arcades. Hell, I played the hell out of some KoFs in NYC and was facing and using broken characters because they were fun. The striker system and its infinites did scared me off for a good while.

Yeah, don't confuse me with someone else. I don't do that cosplay and fanfic stuff, nor do I even care about storyline. I just like to play these games. :)

You replied to a comparison that I whimsically threw out and I enjoyed the idea of connecting the dots. I'm not saying GG is as good as VF, but running with the concept that GG is to KoF as VF is to Tekken.

...And I'm not. I wouldn't compare GG to KOF like Tekken gets compared to VF. IMO it's a LOT easier to compare 3D fighters to each other than 2D games. I would place KOF and SF closer to each other, but GG to me is more along the lines of a far more playable and fleshed out Vs. game.

Grifter

MvC2 has a poor percentage going, but looking at the absolute number of competitive characters, it dwarfs many fighters. Factor in assist and team makeup (synergy is a bigger factor here than other team games) and you get plenty of variation.

If you're comparing every fighter's animation to SF3, then nobody's coming close except maybe those Jojo games. From the look of things, nobody is approaching SF3's animation any time soon so it must've been extremely expensive. GG's animation is at least on par with everything else and has always looked smooth and natural to me, which is more than I can say for mish-mash fighters like KoFXI and CvS where characters were drawn in different eras and the same screen can have one character with awesome animation and the other character with...not so much.

A smooth natural flow is all I ask for in animation, but I'm not one to argue 30 vs. 60 FPS either. 3S feels over-animated at times but it fits the parry system, Capcom really went balls to the wall with that game. Arc took their own giant step with the higher res. Now that Neo has made the jump to Atomiswave, I hope they can budget a totally redrawn Garou while pumping out rehashed-looking KoFs, or reboot KoF with a redrawn smaller roster and add on later, maybe implement the smooth control that they achieved in Garou.

Lyte Edge

Grifter said:
which is more than I can say for mish-mash fighters like KoFXI and CvS where characters were drawn in different eras and the same screen can have one character with awesome animation and the other character with...not so much.

The only games I've ever had a problem with in that regard are from Capcom, mainly because of the use of incredibly dated sprites like Morrigan in CvS. It's okay in Darkstalkers, since everyone is drawn in the same style, but in CvS, she just looks weird in comparison to the other characters; huge lack of detail IMO. The KOF games may bring back older sprites, but the difference is that all the characters are drawn in the same style for the most part.

Arc took their own giant step with the higher res. Now that Neo has made the jump to Atomiswave, I hope they can budget a totally redrawn Garou while pumping out rehashed-looking KoFs, or reboot KoF with a redrawn smaller roster and add on later, maybe implement the smooth control that they achieved in Garou.

Actually SNK is done with the Atomiswave. No one is sure what they're going to be moving to; my bet is System 246.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lyte Edge said:
Actually SNK is done with the Atomiswave. No one is sure what they're going to be moving to; my bet is System 246.

246? Really? I always assumed they`d be taking on something like Triforce or Chihiro. Triforce is super unlikely, and Chihiro is pretty much dead with Lindbergh out, so perhaps 246. Leaving Atomiswave and moving to 246 seems regressive to me, though.

I have an AES that cries for KOF to go back to MVS. :p

Btw, the first 5 or so challenges are super easy, and now the game is kicking my ass so hard. Shion started out hard, but if you use Gato`S qcfx2 + sp special and spam it, it becomes easy as hell. Spam for the win.

Oh god, I`m loving KOFXI. I played XI in arcades, and while I enjoyed it, I totally sucked at it. This is a great chance for me to practice.

polg

I know this thread is about XI and its gameplay but...

my XI will get delivered to my office tomorrow :D

I'm very excited. My cousin will visit me over the weekend to kick my ass :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
polg said:
I know this thread is about XI and its gameplay but...

my XI will get delivered to my office tomorrow :D

I'm very excited. My cousin will visit me over the weekend to kick my ass :lol

haha, awesome. I picked mine up from the local game store on the way to work a couple days ago. I blame Lyte Edge, as he convinced me to pick it up, OVER THE ****ING PHONE.

polg

TheTrin said:
haha, awesome. I picked mine up from the local game store on the way to work a couple days ago. I blame Lyte Edge, as he convinced me to pick it up, OVER THE ****ING PHONE.
hahahaha...
it was my cousin's fault... I was "thinking" about getting it and he pushed me to import because he wanted some jap ds games -rolleyes-

mint

Banned
Well just to let you know, I think EX Kyo is 10x better than the regular one.

combo for kicks:
jump dwn c, c, qcf+c, qcf+c, qcf+a, qcf+b, hcb+c, qcf+a (wait), qcf+a qcf+a, qcf+b b, dp+a x3

very cool combo :D

Newduck

I've done over 20+ of the challenges but i can't do the Shen vs King one. I can deflect 4 maybe 5 tops of her fireballs but thats it, trying to do that on a regular PS2 dpad seems impossible.

Atomiswave probably isn't that viable seeing how its a dead platform with Sega moving to Aurora and porting from 256 to PS2 is alot more simple then Atomiswave I'd imagine.

Regular Kyo is a bit more versitile, he can cancel his Downfoward + d into alot of stuff and he can fight at long distance with his projectile. Although Ex Kyo's air RED is pretty nice.

With the Shen challenge I remember just doing the reflector move as fast as i could hah, interestingly enough we were toying around with Ryo's parry and he can also parry all of the fireballs and even multi-hitting supers like Magaki's Fullscreen super!

Lyte Edge

Okay, for those wanting the challenge mode characters quickly or are unable to complete one or two missions, and don't have the means to download save files, a new method has been found according to some people at Neo-Geo.com:

Losing. :D

Just keep failing missions over and over again, and eventually characters will start becoming unlocked! It takes about 50 straight losses for this to happen; the easiest way is to play and lose mission 24, in which you fail the mission in one hit. Just keep doing it over and over, and you'll get the characters.

thetrin

Lyte Edge said:
Okay, for those wanting the challenge mode characters quickly or are unable to complete one or two missions, and don't have the means to download save files, a new method has been found according to some people at Neo-Geo.com:

Losing. :D

Just keep failing missions over and over again, and eventually characters will start becoming unlocked! It takes about 50 straight losses for this to happen; the easiest way is to play and lose mission 24, in which you fail the mission in one hit. Just keep doing it over and over, and you'll get the characters.

God bless Neo-Geo.com. When I lived in the states, I used their buy/sell forum to purchase AES games.

I still post there on occassion. If anyone posts on Neo-geo.com, my name is TheLastTrin. My avatar is Mr. Big.

anotheriori said:
interestingly enough we were toying around with Ryo's parry and he can also parry all of the fireballs and even multi-hitting supers like Magaki's Fullscreen super!

Wtf? How does someone parry a plasma explosion/blackhole/deathrain exactly?

polg

I've been playing it for 24hs now... this game is awesome...
any 2D fighter fan should try this port...

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
Anyone got some high quality videos?

I captured a nice HQ vid for some unnamed site, but it won't be up until there's review text to go with it and I'm on vaaaaacation atm ;)

polg

So I finally killed mmagaki.
I had to set it to level 2 and use the 1/2 energy continue thingy. I use the kyo/iori/shingo team.

why is the boss so freaking hard?!?!?!!?

my cousin was telling the backstory about this game, which sounds pretty cool
How Kyo gets the orochi powers or something like that. He gets the red flame + iori's purple flame

So is the next KOF XII? 12? 2007? Has it been announced?

XI rocks so much, and it is possibly the best KOF port in a long time.

I don't think i've fought magaki in arcade mode just in challenge, maybe i'll try it.
SNK boss syndrome explains why you basically have to beat the bosses via some exploit in the AI.

KOFXII is next since they are going to the numbered sequence from now on. er.. Thats note quite right kyo's story.

KOF series seems to have a plot line that based on arc's with different main characters like it started with Kyo, then K', now it's Ash. Their plotline is usually like 3 or 4 games long even though Kyo is basically the Icon for KOF. It sounds like you're referring to the Orochi saga.

Orochi Saga Summary:
There's a group of people decendant from the Orochi [Japanese mythical 7 headed dragon] bloodline. I'm not too sure on the Orochi myth, but it is like a god that is protects the earth and kinda see's humans as a virus. Kyo, Iori and Chizuru (she's in KOF 96/97/98/03) are also decendents of the 3 mytical families (represented by their magical artifacts) that originally subdued the Orochi into slumber. Iori's decendents' thirst for power make a pact with the Orochi at the cost of lower life expectancies. This causes Kyo's and Iori's clans to feud which is lived out by them also. Eventually Orochi shows up by the summoming of Orochi decendants, and this also causes halfbreeds (Iori) to go crazy. They (Kyo/Iori/Chizuru) seal Orochi in '97 but it seems like orochi like powers even cause Blood Riot to occur in Iori as seen in KOF XI ending.

klee123

Just received this game yesterday and I've been playing it non stop ever since. I'm really liking Elizabeth and Oswald, as they are both awesome in terms of movelist and design. They remind me of the old SNK.

I am also surprised with the music in this release(in a positive way). I especially love Ash's and Elizabeth's BGM, and especially the arranged versions!

NGBC was great, Samsho Tenka was awesome, but KOFXI really puts SNK back into the limelight again. Welcome back SNK!

MegaTen

Banned
klee123 said:
NGBC was great, Samsho Tenka was awesome, but KOFXI really puts SNK back into the limelight again. Welcome back SNK!
Those were also my thoughts when I first played this. Now, I'm still waiting/hoping for Falcoon to get the boot.. :lol

dock

Just placed an order for KOF XI. First KOF I've been excited about in a loooooong time, I'm really interested to see what it is like.

MegaTen said:
Now, I'm still waiting/hoping for Falcoon to get the boot.. :lol
Seriously? I think Falcoon is awesome, and AFAIK he didn't do the pinups for XI.

Top Bottom