• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Tizoc

alstein said:
Eiji and Billy are popular as a combo, because of their association in 95, and they always want to kill Iori. Eiji by himself not so much. He's also a fairly easy character to use, which also helps. Also, ninja.
So his surprise appearance in 95 is the reason for his popularity?
...and I've played as more interesting ninjas in fighting games :V
Honestly if they change his movelist and playstyle I'd gladly try him out.

...and I don't know about you babies, but I want my MAIN MAN GRANT up in this bitch-
F3cHp.gif

I got his custom combo right here, kiddies-
Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->WALAHI HA TINDAM!

alstein

Tizoc said:
So his surprise appearance in 95 is the reason for his popularity?
...and I've played as more interesting ninjas in fighting games :V
Honestly if they change his movelist and playstyle I'd gladly try him out.

...and I don't know about you babies, but I want my MAIN MAN GRANT up in this bitch-
F3cHp.gif

I got his custom combo right here, kiddies-
Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->Face attakc-->EAT-SOMEBODY-->WALAHI HA TINDAM!

He also was hilarious in AOF2 (his original game), and was a good character in 98UM.

Another option for an additional character would be Duck King- and Billy and Duck were the two last chars who missed the cut in KOF94, and Duck King finished 4th in the popularity poll that added Billy/Mary/Yama to 97.

I remember sending in a vote for that, I think mine was Billy/Sokaku/Heavy D!

Tizoc

alstein said:
He also was hilarious in AOF2 (his original game), and was a good character in 98UM.
IIRC, the engrish translation of AoF2 changed a lot of things from the original japanese ver.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, no one else enjoyed DDTC's Hwa Jai combos? I greatly enjoyed watching him combo in the air in ways akin to how Shen combos people from the ground, in HD mode... DRAGON (back)BREAKER! His EX DM is too cool, as well.

I've always seen Eiji as popular more because of his great, multipurpose special moves, the fact he was exceedingly powerful in his first appearance, and that he has a pretty solid set of normals to compliment it all.

Lin is a pretty similiar take gameplay wise in certain ways, but I never really hear any mention on him. Which is a shame, as he's fantastic in 2K2UM, and seems to be a much more gritty, darker character.

Between Geese and Grant, I'm not sure who I'd like to see back more. They're both guys who go around Shirtless, while wearing Hakama... heck, I figured Grant WAS Geese for the longest time, somehow managing to live dropping off buildings again...

In the KoF timeline, I think it'd be cool to see elements of them both fused into 1 Geese as 1 character, really. Then give Geese the Mask (heck, even the cape if they're crazy enough) as a 2nd Palette.

SAB CA said:
So a scan of Billy is out, he's in THIS outfit from 95:

Billykane95.gif

Apparently the article also notes something about a DLC character available with pre-order in Japan? Hopefully, we'll find out the fullness of the famitsu info today, and get some in-game screens...
It's his sluttiest outfit! Sweet!

Oh, uh... I mean... cool.

Frankfurt

Banned
The new art in the Famitsu piece... Could it be... A new intro image? Please make it so! I always thought it was weird how the in-game cutscenes were gorgeous, but the intro was a sloppy-looking budget "anime".

Frankfurt

Banned
I may be remembering wrong, but the year MOTW would take place has already passed, IIRC. 10 years after Real Bout 2 = around 2008. Rock looked 12 or so in KOF games from the early 2000's, too.

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
Because that game made them NO MONEY. While popular amongst fans, that game was a financial disaster.

Yep. Art of Fighting 3 and KOFXII too. Capcom's SF3, too.

SF3 I guess became profitable with it's Renaissance 10 years later, and KOFXII may end up being worthwhile if XIII and XIV prove to be hits on the long run...

Dunno if turning a profit years later is what investors would want of their projects, though...

Frankfurt said:
I may be remembering wrong, but the year MOTW would take place has already passed, IIRC. 10 years after Real Bout 2 = around 2008. Rock looked 12 or so in KOF games from the early 2000's, too.

Yep. Art of Fighting 3 and KOFXII too. Capcom's SF3, too.

SF3 I guess became profitable with it's Renaissance 10 years later, and KOFXII may end up being worthwhile if XIII and XIV prove to be hits on the long run...

Dunno if turning a profit years later is what investors would want of their projects, though...

You're only part right. KOF XII while a PR disaster actually made them a very small profit.

zlatko

Banned
So I finally got to play KoF13. <3 It's amazing. I can't wait for Atlus to bring it to consoles.

Hwa is god like. That is all.

gundamkyoukai said:
To hell with MOTW , while i love the game i like the old Fatal fury chars better .
Most of guys i play fatal fury with hate the game.

Most of the people who like Garou Mark of the Wolves are capcom fans since it's more of their style. A lot of true FF fans hate Garou MOTW

alstein

Most of the people who like Garou Mark of the Wolves are capcom fans since it's more of their style. A lot of true FF fans hate Garou MOTW

I don't hate Garou, but I think RB1 and RB2 > Garou.

Frankfurt said:
They managed to make enough profit to cover the 4+ years of development?!?

Possibly. I do remember them saying they made enough money to finish development of KOF 13 due to them being out of money when 12 launched. I also recall Ignition stating that KOF XII made them a good profit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Playing KoF99 PSX (yes, I know, one of the weaker KoF, yes, I know) on the PSP-1000 is pure torture. I can't imagine what the hell went through Capcom's mind to port Powerstone and Street Alpha 3 to the system.

Anyway, not hyped for KoF13 as SNK has been pretty much dead to me since 2003. 12 didn't exactly inspire confidence, but that's because of SNK/Suckmore.

Skilletor

This "true fan" comment always makes me laugh.

Skilletor said:
This "true fan" comment always makes me laugh.

Don't laugh. You raff too hard and those singles of Real Bout Fans will get in an uproar!

But seriously, GOTW is the Fatal Fury that is most loved by more casual and the capcom fans over the old Fatal Fury 2/3 or Realbout series.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lookit the bottom of this SNKP press release (Thanks to Greenwood of Dreamcancel for this)

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press_releases/pdf/110701_01.pdf

SUCH GLORIOUS STAGES! -ahem-

And some in-game playable Billy.

Lily Kane Cameo!

Is that a Pao Pao Cafe Stage?

Also: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/
Billy says "Wha Tyme izz zit?"

005.jpg

Andriasang has some additional screens: http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2011/07/01/kofxiii_screens/

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2011/07/01/kofxiii_screens/2132453429/

Laurence Blood, Lilly Kane, and Krauser all in the BG.

Amagon

I'm still in disbelief that Hwa Jai is back after a almost 20 year absence. Geezus, I still remember him being a little bitch in Fatal Fury. Since Billy is back and we had Duck & Tung from 11. You think there will be any hope to bring Richard Meyer or Michael Max in the home console or maybe the next game??

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh [/Rainbow Dash]

Awesome new stages! Hype! Hype! HYPE!

And what's with the Athena screenshot? Now I haven't been following the game for a while, but could she do her Shining Crystal Bit in XIII? Is this some powered up version? Or is it just the same old version and I just forgot what it looked like in XIII?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh [/Rainbow Dash]

Awesome new stages! Hype! Hype! HYPE!

And what's with the Athena screenshot? Now I haven't been following the game for a while, but could she do her Shining Crystal Bit in XIII? Is this some powered up version? Or is it just the same old version and I just forgot what it looked like in XIII?

It's the EX DM version. Normal is a single hit, blows opponent away.

EX Version starts up faster, vacuums the opponent in for 27 hits, and does more damage.

She can't toss the energy ball out anymore, but that's more or less ok...

Pao Pao Stage looks nice and colorful. FF2 Clock Tower is also a classic, but the random Krauser and Laurence cameos are strange. Not really a big fan of the ruins stage, but at least it's not offensive.

I hope these stages are all DLC, like 5 bucks a piece. You guys wouldn't mind that, right?

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Pao Pao Stage looks nice and colorful. FF2 Clock Tower is also a classic, but the random Krauser and Laurence cameos are strange. Not really a big fan of the ruins stage, but at least it's not offensive.

I hope these stages are all DLC, like 5 bucks a piece. You guys wouldn't mind that, right?

Five dollars only? I'd pay TEN dollars each for them. They're more detailed than anything Aksys ever did.

SAB CA said:
It's the EX DM version. Normal is a single hit, blows opponent away.
EX Version starts up faster, vacuums the opponent in for 27 hits, and does more damage.
She can't toss the energy ball out anymore, but that's more or less ok...

Ah okay, thanks.

I really want to see how these stages look in motion. I hope they haven't gone back to the likes of sparse, lifeless stages they used in XI. I'm sure they're good though.

I wouldn't want these as DLC, but down the line, NEW stages for $5, sure.

Korigama

I'd rather they were already included as part of the package (not unprecedented to have additional stages in a console release not in the arcade version), but that's me.

Five dollars only? I'd pay TEN dollars each for them. They're more detailed than anything Aksys ever did.

Aksys =/= Arc System Works

Their names are similar, but Aksys is an independent publisher in the US (they're not a subsidiary of Arc, despite working with them regularly). Not interested in debating quality of backgrounds between developers, but I will say that these new ones look decent.

Tizoc

Ugh the flame effects on Billy's super is terrible...but I'll get better judgement from a vid.

SAB CA said:
So, no one else enjoyed DDTC's Hwa Jai combos? I greatly enjoyed watching him combo in the air in ways akin to how Shen combos people from the ground, in HD mode... DRAGON (back)BREAKER! His EX DM is too cool, as well.
lol I watched it and commented on it in YT. Great combos though~

gundamkyoukai said:
To hell with MOTW , while i love the game i like the old Fatal fury chars better .
Most of guys i play fatal fury with hate the game.
Your friends have no taste.

That's weird, I don't know many Capcom fans who like Garou o_O
This whole true fan is just BS. Garou's a good solid game. The Real Bout games are good too, but I don't think I could ever put one over the other in terms of gameplay.

Galdelico

Korigama said:
I'd rather they were already included as part of the package (not unprecedented to have additional stages in a console release not in the arcade version), but that's me.
And me.
I didn't even consider that stuff could be DLC, but part of the console extra goodies.

Frankfurt

Banned
People need to lay off the "Suckmore" wagon. SNK made ONE good KOF. Playmore made three. Plus MIA and the UMs. Gameplay-wise, SNKP's KOFs have long trumped SNK's. And I say this from following the company since before they started making fighting games. Time to drop the blind nostalgia, people.

Anyway, 3 new backgrounds is great news! We had one team in XIII missing a background, now we have a couple extra... Increases the odds of Billy being part of a team. Lilly looks cute, too. The new Ash image has the last line from the intro. Could be a new intro or part of the story mode...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
3 new stages? DAYUUUUM!!! I wasnt expecting that many since theyre pretty detailed.
Loving the Clock Tower and the Pao Pao Cafe!!

GET HAIP MOTHER EFFERS !!

i don't want cheapshit DLC.

i would prefer something akin to an expansion pack 6-12 months down the road, with added stages and characters plus balance tweaks.

DR2K

Banned
Wow, those new stages look nice. Oswald would be a nice addition, hopefully more new characters makes it in.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Famitsu Kane reveal, press release with 3 new godlike stages.

WHERE THE HELL IS MY TRAILER ATLUS!!! (With the confirmation of a no blur option of course!! ;) )

So i translated the .pdf with Google Translate and it may say that there are more characters besides Billy Kane.

Augemitbutter said:
i don't want cheapshit DLC.

i would prefer something akin to an expansion pack 6-12 months down the road, with added stages and characters plus balance tweaks.
Can't we have both, ala AE DLC and Disc? Give the user a choice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Some Tweet Translations provided by the Prof on Madman's Cafe:

According to SNKP's Matsushita, the home console version of KOFXIII will feature some old stages in the KOF series, albeit redrawn in HD graphics.

http://twitter.com/matsushita_8bit/status/86699408049184768
Oh, so the new backgrounds have been announced! The concept behind them are "Easy to the eye, undisturbing to the gameplay (give the spectators regular physiques)", "Release previous KOF backgrounds and new backgrounds in beautiful HD quality". They're the effort of hard work by the background's staff!

http://twitter.com/matsushita_8bit/status/86701450096422912
So that's the concept behind having the previous backgrounds, but they might've taken my request when I said "I'd love to see the old KOF backgrounds in HD quality". The old stages in HD will really make your heart pound, they look like High-res NeoGeo!

So, if/when we do get stage DLC, I'm expecting it to be classic remakes.

Oh, and on the "Suckmore" stuff... Ain't Playmore the old SNK president's personal dopelganger company, that purchased everything SNK had lost, and got back as many old members as possible, (along with some new) before merging with (and purchasing back)all else was left of original SNK?

Hence, I never understood why Playmore was looked down upon. He got everything BACK, and reunited employees who had to leave a then-dead company.

And I think we can actually see their growth over the years. It's almost as if they forced their new members to re-create the old, (alongside older members) in order to prepare them to make the new, yet keep the classic charm. I felt this way about NGBC, about XI's guest characters, and about the "Back to the classics" designs and movesets of XII and XIII.

They've done nothing but prove that they can solidify and expand on past glories, one step at a time. They might not have been able to make something NEW as expansive or as in depth as the late Neo-games, but they're not using sprite rips to make NEW stories anymore, either. Given their resources, timeframe, and staff, they seem to have done an incredibly good job...

Tizoc

Fersis said:
Famitsu Kane reveal, press release with 3 new godlike stages.

WHERE THE HELL IS MY TRAILER ATLUS!!! (With the confirmation of a no blur option of course!! ;) )

So i translated the .pdf with Google Translate and it may say that there are more characters besides Billy Kane.
Well of course we'd get more characters (at least 2 to make a team with Billy)

Also I've always called them SNK =P

I too would prefer a big DLC pack over trickle DLC. I don't usually go for extra characters at $5 a pop, though I would pay $10 for Kim Jae Hoon.

Top Bottom