• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

alstein

_dementia said:
I still need to try AH3. The 5-frame input buffer intrinsic to Blazblue makes its netcode feel better than it actually is. Since AH3 wasn't built with netplay in mind from the bottom-up like BB, Arc supposedly made improvements to the netcode to have AH3 run smoothly online.

AH still seems to have solid netcode. I just don't care for the game one bit. Doesn't KOF also have a generous input buffer? At the very least, KOF doesn't require a lot of jump cancelling, links and other overcomplicated stuff so a BB-quality netcode should be good enough.

My reasonable standard is SF4/Tekken-level though, if they do that I won't be raging.

I'm counting on this game to deliver despite its balance issues, since I don't want to buy any Capcom games in future (they're on my boycott list)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
BadWolf said:
Here's Rlaf VS Meta Slug:
Full Size: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Diavle/Ralf-Slug-FINAL2-1.png
ralf_vs_metal_slug_by_diavle-d3hk7x0Small.png

Haha, awesome ^_^ I'm actually betting on Ralf... (o_O)

And hey, General S-A-S, I actually read that rainy-day post of yours, lol. You think Duo's Rekkas look choppy? I've never had a problem with them. Takuma's ZRK and King's crouching kicks I can see however. Silber never bothered me much, however; The weighty, limited movements seem to fit him well. 2003 will always be my go-to KoF for "Eh... that doesn't look too great" moments, haha. With a side of 2001's original portrait art.

Anywho, I'd love to see solidifying of the already-there characters in the home port; Vice could use her close D back, Mature her far C from 2K2UM, Hwa could use at least 1 unique normal and maybe command normal, Clark could trade the shared uppercut command normal he and Ralf share for a far-distance f/b+B that'd allow him to combo into SAB / UAB / Gattling Attack... I'd welcome such changes almost as much as entirely new characters.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tizoc said:
No, all you've been yelling is 'No filter' :V

...and really it doesn't have to be better than current fighting games netcode, it just needs not to suck.
You can brag/praise it all you want, I'll just enjoy landing Hwa Jai combos on foos~
Ok ok thats what i meant.

Dear Atlus and SNKPlaymore:
Please add an optional NO FILTER option for those old men like me who love pixelated pixel art ;)

With mucho amor Fersis.

GrayFoxPL

I'm waiting for this as a snk soldier despite my hate for K' now.

But if Augemitbutter is gonna fuck me up again in the corner I'm fucking this shit!

Guard cancel gods help me.

LegatoB

Fersis said:
Ok ok thats what i meant.

Dear Atlus and SNKPlaymore:
Please add an optional NO FILTER option for those old men like me who love pixelated pixel art ;)

With mucho amor Fersis.
While I sympathize, don't expect a no-filter option in XIII. The sprites are around the same size as Guilty Gear X's (i.e. sized for 640x480), and they're always slightly scaled during gameplay in the arcade version. Turning off what filtering they're doing would probably just make them look "smudged." (The Neo-Geo-era KOFs scale much more cleanly because they run in a resolution very close to 320x240... and 240 * 3 is 720.)

SAB CA said:
And hey, General S-A-S, I actually read that rainy-day post of yours, lol. You think Duo's Rekkas look choppy? I've never had a problem with them. Takuma's ZRK and King's crouching kicks I can see however. Silber never bothered me much, however; The weighty, limited movements seem to fit him well.

Well, thanks for that.

Duo definitely has some choppy animations and in the heat of the moment, you can't even tell what's going on. Like, how is he hitting them, with his braids or his shoulders? The obnoxiously big hitsparks don't help things, either.

And if it has been a while since you last played XI, please boot the game up again and go to practice mode. Do all of his moves and find out how much is recycled/missing. Iirc, he doesn't even have unique animations for far normals.

He might be all right to people gameplay wise, but KOF would be a joke of a series if they handled all of the character frames like they did with Silv(b whatever I always though Silver sounded better)er.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DDTCombo Presents: Kim, The Crown Jewel of Taekwondo!(HD)

3:40 of awesome KIM Goodness! *JUSTICE!*

Cool Soul Report: KoF XIII Combo Music Video

A lot of fresh stuff there, including lots of normal links, EX abuse, and fresh HD combos. A great vid to show how much potential the who cast has.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Well, thanks for that.

Duo definitely has some choppy animations and in the heat of the moment, you can't even tell what's going on. Like, how is he hitting them, with his braids or his shoulders? The obnoxiously big hitsparks don't help things, either.

Huh, really? A bridge of his lower arms in the first Rekka hit, the Shoulder/back in hit 2, and the out-stretched upward palm strike in hit 3. I think of it as being similiar in method to Lin's Rekka's, which makes sense, as they are from the same clan. I always liked how you could see some "resting" within both their Rekkas, where the strong impacts cooled down, before the immediate, swift snaps of the lean/teleport backward, into the next sturdy blow.

Duo's Rekkas was actually one of the first things I liked about Ash's team, actually. I'll always be happy for how KoF XII changed those 3, because they felt like a wild mesh of ideas beforehand... and I always had to wonder who decided to break Duo's foot, haha.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
And if it has been a while since you last played XI, please boot the game up again and go to practice mode. Do all of his moves and find out how much is recycled/missing. Iirc, he doesn't even have unique animations for far normals.

He might be all right to people gameplay wise, but KOF would be a joke of a series if they handled all of the character frames like they did with Silv(b whatever I always though Silver sounded better)er.

I have to admit, I rarely use Silber's normals, lol. Counters, sweeps into heel drops, Heel drops into DM heel drops, and the vastly great punisher that was his LDM. I trust what you say, however; everytime I look at XI, I find something that kinda turns me off from more well-rounded SNKP designs, even though I really liked the overall presentation (and Victory fanfare!) of that game.

I called him Silver myself at first, but I think I've seen Silbur more. Takuma seems to have a Mr. Karate Tribute color to his Gi and Hair, so even if he doesn't make it in XIII, I can at least use that look, rather than the generic Black suit/red mask most Takuma's wear...

Tizoc

katsubento said:
Bought XII and was so so so disappointed. Pre-ordered at Amazon and can't wait for KOF to be redeemed.
How does 1 KoF game make you disappointed about the series overall? I can understand KoF XII's problems but even then, how can it make you think less of the series?

Tizoc said:
How does 1 KoF game make you disappointed about the series overall? I can understand KoF XII's problems but even then, how can it make you think less of the series?

Some folks take weak entries badly.

Hell, I'm guilty of it. Look at my legendary distaste for SF4 series. :p

It sucks in the moment, but soon enough a sequel will come along and hopefully balance it all out.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tizoc said:
katsubento said:
Bought XII and was so so so disappointed. Pre-ordered at Amazon and can't wait for KOF to be redeemed.

How do you get that he is disappointed in the entire series from that post? I think he's correct in saying that it has had its reputation tarnished by the $60 KOF XIII beta we got in 2009.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DDTCombo Presents: Ryo Sakazaki Zanretsuken Tutorial (HD)

If I was to comit to playing Ryo... This combo video would be a replication of my gameplay with him! :lol: Ever since AoF, I've loved landing ZRKs. Most people use Takuma's Strong Hienshipuukyaku -> Jumping CD in 98 UM or 2K2UM... naaa, I end Hien with ZRK!

I find it just as satisfying as landing an Anti-Air Power GeyZAAA with Terry, or a perfectly timed reversal DP on wakeup in older SF's (before SFIV make reversals insanely easy and mash-friendly). Maybe more-so because of AoF's "hollow impact" final hit sound, a trademark of Kyokugen masters!

SAB CA said:
Huh, really? A bridge of his lower arms in the first Rekka hit, the Shoulder/back in hit 2, and the out-stretched upward palm strike in hit 3. I think of it as being similiar in method to Lin's Rekka's, which makes sense, as they are from the same clan. I always liked how you could see some "resting" within both their Rekkas, where the strong impacts cooled down, before the immediate, swift snaps of the lean/teleport backward, into the next sturdy blow.

That may be true, but you need to ask for directions to go from Duo Lon's head to his coat-tail when he's moving around. Not to mention the first two (?) rekka animations are recycled. They get a free pass for this, because they still kept Duo Lon's detailed design and didn't go the easy way out like they did with Mature's and Vice's skirts.

Duo's Rekkas was actually one of the first things I liked about Ash's team, actually. I'll always be happy for how KoF XII changed those 3, because they felt like a wild mesh of ideas beforehand... and I always had to wonder who decided to break Duo's foot, haha.

Yeah, he's had it ever since 2003. Strange thing is, he never used his gross dissolve-into-a-skeleton teleport anymore. Now that it takes way more time to create animations, SNKP must think twice when they are working on a character's arsenal. It's stupid how they gave Yuri a Gen'ei Kyaku and took it out because it didn't work out, what with Yuri's short legs and all (it was in one of the dev interviews from ages ago.) At least when moves are made now, they make sure it is quality.

For the most part. :)

I trust what you say, however; everytime I look at XI, I find something that kinda turns me off from more well-rounded SNKP designs, even though I really liked the overall presentation (and Victory fanfare!) of that game.

XI was just strange, but not bad per se. (I'll eat you whole, Fersis. Bring it.) I really disliked the unnatural movements, everyone moves around during their specials as if they are on ice. Kim's far D double roundhouse and Hangetsuzan look really stupid, along with all the recovery rolling. Tag combos were also a tad too fast. But still, an improvement over 2003 and at the time I thought KOF could only go uphill from XI, especially the final boss design. Hoo boy was I wrong.

Takuma seems to have a Mr. Karate Tribute color to his Gi and Hair, so even if he doesn't make it in XIII, I can at least use that look, rather than the generic Black suit/red mask most Takuma's wear...

While I appreciate that there are 10 color variations (20 for 7 characters), most of them are pretty crappy. Hwa Jai has like 2-3 normal human skin variations, the rest are all horrible color schemes designed by hyperactive toddlers on acid. Seriously hoping there's at least an editor (free, of course) where you can pick a lot of preset colors that look neutral and not obnoxious like hot pink/pitch black/bright white. Messing with 5-6 shades of color would take a long ass time.

Obvious tribute ones that don't suck are welcome, though. AbelRyo is one of my favorites.

Lyte Edge said:
How do you get that he is disappointed in the entire series from that post? I think he's correct in saying that it has had its reputation tarnished by the $60 KOF XIII beta we got in 2009.

Seriously. Now is the time for KOF to be as strong as it can these days. I hope it makes a decent splash and we see it on streams. If it's as nearly as popular in tournies as MK I'll be stunned.

C'mon Sega, if Atlus can take a chance on KOF be proud of VF and give us Final Showdown!

I'm sure I'm going to be terrible at the game, but I can't wait to play some of my Kensou/?/? team when this game comes out.

If anyone else is as terrible as I am maybe we can play if the netcode isn't too terrible.

PsychoSoldier said:
I'm sure I'm going to be terrible at the game, but I can't wait to play some of my Kensou/?/? team when this game comes out.

If anyone else is as terrible as I am maybe we can play if the netcode isn't too terrible.

Yay!

We can be awful together! :D

Lyte Edge said:

He's right. I wasn't disappointed with the series...I've been there from the original '94 Neo cart ($214 from Die Hard mail order back in the day). But was so hyped for XII, I told my friends who never played KOF about it, bought it and felt rather embarrassed because they said THIS was what I was so enthusiastic about all these years?! XII was a slap in the face.

AAK

On principle I suck at all fighting games that aren't Tekken... so I shall also recruit in the new KOF scrub army!

Tizoc

Lyte Edge said:
Despite KoF XII, I've never thought less of the series. Best thing anyone would've done was go back and play the older games. Besides wasn't KoF 02 UM and 98 UM's update released at that time?
KoF XIII doesn't have to redeem anything: It's a good KoF, playing like much of the KoFs before it.

katsubento said:
He's right. I wasn't disappointed with the series...I've been there from the original '94 Neo cart ($214 from Die Hard mail order back in the day). But was so hyped for XII, I told my friends who never played KOF about it, bought it and felt rather embarrassed because they said THIS was what I was so enthusiastic about all these years?! XII was a slap in the face.
I'm among the very few who see potentiel in KoF XII's system, but the official release of it was a big no-no.

GrayFoxPL said:
I'm waiting for this as a snk soldier despite my hate for K' now.

But if Augemitbutter is gonna fuck me up again in the corner I'm fucking this shit!

Guard cancel gods help me.

at least i won't be playing K'.

i remember XII having some good players online in europe, good enough to refine one's skills. if only the netcode didn't get in the way we would be playing until today.

katsubento said:
But was so hyped for XII, I told my friends who never played KOF about it, bought it and felt rather embarrassed because they said THIS was what I was so enthusiastic about all these years?! XII was a slap in the face.

Same, I also hyped friends with HD videos of nighttime stadium (I still like it better than Rose Stadium and I hope that stage returns and not as day 1 DLC get outta here) and kept telling them IT LOOKS GREAT BUY IT BUY IT WE CAN PLAY TOGETHER. Until the game arrived and I had to tell them straight up that it was garbage. Funny thing is, I imported that crap in July and the EU release wasn't until September. Now, they don't care about KOF anymore, even though they like some of the NeoMAXes.

XII had some nice ideas, but it's like they aped SF4 when their wall combo system was slammed down by the fans and they got rid of it halfway development. CD launcher was also nothing but "You NEED to press these buttons for the best combo! Why wouldn't you?" for some characters.

Clashing was strange and by the time you realized you clashed, it's too late to follow up with an action that you really want to do instead of accidentally pressing punch or kick again. It did turn projectiles worthless sometimes. I think it would have been better if it were just an occurrence without being a true part of the subsystem.

Guard Attack was just a pace killer with hit detection issues. They should have made it in a way that you shove your opponent away quickly when you catch their attack on the ground and launch them away when you catch their aerial attack. It was funny to kill people with it when they thought they could randomly charge at you with a super, but nah, old skool Guard CD is still the best.

Critical Counter was a lolparade altogether, a forced gimmick. With Max Mode and HD, you have the CHOICE to initiate the modes. With Critical Counter, the state just happened and you had zero control over it. Now, if you could activate Critical Counter state by pressing BC and THEN try to bait people, it would have been a different story.

The only thing I really liked was CD crumpling, but that only worked in conjunction with Guard Attack to save yourself if someone is about to do an unblockable on you. It definitely had that dangerous element that made it interesting.

XII could have had these subsystems (clashing maybe not) if they were handled better, maybe by having an extra tech gauge (kinda like Skill Stock) reserved for Critical Counter and CD tools, alongside a multibar gauge that supports SDMs that look and act different. If they can create EX attacks and EXDMs in XIII without unique special graphics, they could have done the same in XII.

But, like SNKP said before: "We want to create the ultimate 2D fighter!"

...Months later...

"We're going back to basics. :)"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, It's nice to see console character 1 confirmed, will we have more? 1 good one vs 2 poor ones from XII? I'd rather have 1 well made Billy than 3 poorly made characters, but we'll see...

From a Gameplay standpoint, I think Billy is a great addition. His ranged normals are unique among the cast currently in XIII, and he has good relation to the best characters ever created for a fighter, the FF team! XD

Sure he's not MY first choice in the least, but I'm quite interested in seeing what he wears, how he acts, and how they've changed him to fit THIS games systems (EXs = Fire on everything?)

SAB CA said:
Well, It's nice to see console character 1 confirmed, will we have more? 1 good one vs 2 poor ones from XII? I'd rather have 1 well made Billy than 3 poorly made characters, but we'll see...

From a Gameplay standpoint, I think Billy is a great addition. His ranged normals are unique among the cast currently in XIII, and he has good relation to the best characters ever created for a fighter, the FF team! XD

Sure he's not MY first choice in the least, but I'm quite interested in seeing what he wears, how he acts, and how they've changed him to fit THIS games systems (EXs = Fire on everything?)
Shhh, don't let Fersis hear you.

alstein

Eiji would be the logical 2nd choice, but it will likely be a character without a ton of specials.

I suspect Billy will play like 95, no counters, shock jolt, dp, or dragon rave.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Shhh, don't let Fersis hear you.

LoL, no, I don't mean it like that! Betty is a favorite of mine, too (since XI), but she was REALLY lacking in XII! Just like Mature.

I'd much rather see a Billy that gets all the animation deserving of a full character, than a quicky-port of 3 characters lacking in well made move-sets, just to appease number-crunchers and people who'll take things simply at face value.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not a surprise since he was in the XBox 360 DVD dump. Him and Iori 98.
Now add Eiji and you have the original Yagami team.

SAB CA said:
2n5bpt.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
(>_>)

Today, on Bizarro SAB-KOF, SAB CA thinks Maxima is horrible, Leona is crappy, and Terry Bogard should have been replaced by Ken! His favorite Kyokugen-Ryu move becomes neutral jump A, and 2003 becomes the only game in the series he can stand, followed by 2K1 with original art!

He stops playing KoF, takes up Blazblue as his fav fight series of ALL TIME, and TTOB somehow becomes a serious fan of SFIV's 3D art direction!

Impossibilities will never cease!

(<_<)

Fersis

Dont ya' mess with my gal mhm kay? >8(

BTW if SNKP started to share info it means that the full blowout on features and modes should be soon.

Dandy J

Cool, Billy was one of my top 2 picks, him and Chang. Game needs more characters that fall outside of shoto/rekka/grappler variations.

SAB CA said:
LoL, no, I don't mean it like that! Betty is a favorite of mine, too (since XI), but she was REALLY lacking in XII! Just like Mature.

I'd much rather see a Billy that gets all the animation deserving of a full character, than a quicky-port of 3 characters lacking in well made move-sets, just to appease number-crunchers and people who'll take things simply at face value.

SAB CA, I present you to look at this.

Even with incomplete Mature, I still gave most people a case of BUTTHURT in KOF XII. I pounded their ass so hard that they called me MEXICAN! hating on their Ashes, Kyos, Roberts, Andys, Terries, and Ryos with this incomplete character gave me unreachable levels of JOY.

But it has been over a year since the arcade release, so I want at least another two COMPLETE characters. SIX if they're incomplete with only 2-3 moves.

BRING BACK MURICAN SPORTS TEAM! Heavy D with Hyper Drive is gonna hate on them shotos.

TreIII

Billy? YES. Bonus points if he's based more on the RB2 version I love so much.

Can I get Yamazaki too? Hell, put him and Billy on a team with Adelheid and make for a good "Bad Boy" team.

Billy, huh? Nice, can't wait to see how he looks in the new sprite style.

Blue Mary and Yamazaki next would be awesome. Would love Oswald too.

If they go the DLC route, they could milk it forever. Just think...this month it's Kyo from XX year, next month, it's Blue Mary, next month, it's MOTW Terry...

well one can dream.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So a scan of Billy is out, he's in THIS outfit from 95:

Billykane95.gif

Apparently the article also notes something about a DLC character available with pre-order in Japan? Hopefully, we'll find out the fullness of the famitsu info today, and get some in-game screens...

Top Bottom