• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
I don't know much about KOF. Who are likely teammates for Billy?

Yamizaki and Blue Mary, Eiji. (Past team-mates / shared interest)
Geese if you stretch it a bit. (They're never really on the same team... Billy is sent to check on things for Geese, generally.)

Anyone who'se been an enemy to the Bogard boys in the Fatal Fury series.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
_dementia said:
The original Yagami team in KOF95 were Iori Yagami,Eiji Kisaragi and Billy Kane. Spoiler:
Riot of the blood Iori kicked their ass in the official ending
KOF97: Yamazaki,Blue Mary and Billy.

jett

D-Member
gawwwd that hideous blur filter on the sprites really ruins the visuals for me. Why couldn't you kept the sprites KOF12-sized, SNK? Why you gotta hurt me so bad.

jett said:
gawwwd that hideous blur filter on the sprites really ruins the visuals for me. Why couldn't you kept the sprites KOF12-sized, SNK? Why you gotta hurt me so bad.
I'm pretty sure they're filtered in KOFXII. At least they were in the demo I have off JPSN.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
_dementia said:
I'm pretty sure they're filtered in KOFXII. At least they were in the demo I have off JPSN.
You can disable the filter so i hope it will be the same in KOFXIII.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Were they filtered in the arcade game?

XIII's characters have that minimal filtering that you see in these screens, in the arcade as well, yeah.

I don't think SNKP's ever released a home game without filter options, though... Well, the XBLA port of Metal Slug 3 might be the only one.

alstein

_dementia said:

I'd say- if one character is added, Eiji would be best choice, as Iori/Billy/Eiji was a team in 95.

With two more chars: Billy/Mary/Yamazaki is a traditional team who was appearaed in multiple KOFs after winning a popularity poll in 1997.

I don't think Geese will be added- I don't think there's much emphasis on counters in KOF13, and Geese's main signature moves are his counters. Rock has just as much chance to be in as Geese.

If Billy has his counters- I can just imagine the sickness if you can HD cancel them. Counter into DM would lead to Hakumen-like silliness.

jett

D-Member
_dementia said:
I think you need to learn the difference between scaling and filtering.

I know the difference just fine. When the characters are small-sized on the edges of the screen, they're filtered with bilinear or something. When they're regular-sized in KOF12 you can see the pixels in all their glory. In KOF13 they're small all the time except during some super moves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
alstein said:
I don't think Geese will be added- I don't think there's much emphasis on counters in KOF13, and Geese's main signature moves are his counters. Rock has just as much chance to be in as Geese.

That's a good thing, though. Characters like Blue Mary and Geese would being a new style to the game (Chin's Counters demand quick follow-ups, and Elisabeth's are more "freestyle" counters, rather than auto-counters). But as mentioned, Billy has a bit of that as well.

I'd say Rock has less chance just due to his age with this timeline. They seem much moe focused on throwbacks to old KoFs, than they do in grabbing characters from the MOTW future. I'd expect to see Tizoc and Gato before Rock, at this point.

Of course, they could pull an XI console edition, and just start giving us dream match characters because they can. Especially with the DLC option.

Fersis

SAB CA said:
That's a good thing, though. Characters like Blue Mary and Geese would being a new style to the game (Chin's Counters demand quick follow-ups, and Elisabeth's are more "freestyle" counters, rather than auto-counters). But as mentioned, Billy has a bit of that as well.

I'd say Rock has less chance just due to his age with this timeline. They seem much moe focused on throwbacks to old KoFs, than they do in grabbing characters from the MOTW future. I'd expect to see Tizoc and Gato before Rock, at this point.

Of course, they could pull an XI console edition, and just start giving us dream match characters because they can. Especially with the DLC option.
I would pay mad money for Gai Tendo.

But im still 100% against DLC characters in fighting games.

I tweeted to Matsushita that i love KOF and thats is the reason why i became a game dev and he replied me : "Thanks!"
This is the best day of my life!!!!!

Dem new backgrounds have me HOT! Is that the Pao Pao Cafe? I'm so excited, but...

I feel like as...a nice gesture towards fans who bought XII that they should include Billy Kane, pre-order or not.

_dementia said:
Can't we have both, ala AE DLC and Disc? Give the user a choice.

i prefer discs over digital nothingness. oh and i don't want kof to be associated with AE, ugh.

Skilletor said:
I would pay lots of money to play as MOTHER FUCKING GEESE HOWARD w/ KoF13 sprite quality.

Lots of money.

Lots.

this or give me young geese. young geese is the living sex.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
patrickthehedgehog said:
Dem new backgrounds have me HOT! Is that the Pao Pao Cafe? I'm so excited, but...

I feel like as...a nice gesture towards fans who bought XII that they should include Billy Kane, pre-order or not.

Most sources seem to suggest that Billy is NOT the pre-order content. The Pre-Order character is probably someone else (Most people currently suspect it as 98 Iori, thanks to the old 360 data file mining.)

It would be great to see them acknowledge XII buyers in some way.

And congrats on your reply Tweet, Fersis. (^_^) Just don't give the guy a hard time, asking for when they'll have Vids of Billy, oh-K
'
?

Augemitbutter said:
this or give me young geese.

You already have him, he just goes by "Andy" for now!
Really, I always took Young Geese' look to hin towards Andy being a forgotten son of is... which would be weird for Rock, to find out his caretaker's brother is his own blood brother...

New stages look fantastic. Kinda random now but a few pages back peeps were going on about how boring Elizabeth is. I have to agree, she's one of my least favorite KOF characters.

Yamazaki or Blue Mary would be awesome additions, though I think those guys (along with the Venessa/Ramon/Seth team) would be headliners for a new KOF (pray it happens). I'd be happy with just OG Iori.

alstein

I really don't want a 98 Iori in the game, I'd rather have a brand new character.

Iori was one of those chars who needed a change for years, and we finally got it.

Give me anyone other another Iori. I'd rather even have Axel Hawk back.

Playing Kaillera/GGPO 98 for years made me sick of Mr.Purple-Poof, I had stretches where I'd see him on every team for a week straight.

2132453421_full.jpg

Oh. Yes. I just had to post it.

alstein said:
I really don't want a 98 Iori in the game, I'd rather have a brand new character.

Iori was one of those chars who needed a change for years, and we finally got it.

Give me anyone other another Iori. I'd rather even have Axel Hawk back.

Yeah but he would be cheap for SNK to put in so i don't see the big deal .
They could also get back some Iori fans .

Since Billy is back you can well as bring back the whole team of Yamazaki and Blue Mary.
While you add it fix my yuri ,she is just shell of here former self cries .

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
Billy Kane is an epitome of dick character.

He's such a dick.
U mad cuz he stole your lover?
Duck King

SAB CA said:
And congrats on your reply Tweet, Fersis. (^_^) Just don't give the guy a hard time, asking for when they'll have Vids of Billy, oh-K
'
?
I asked him about the no blur option.. his answer: 'I cant answer ask Atlus' >8(

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
Hi brings a stick to a fistfight and with that shit eating grin starts poking everyone in the eyes.

Oh man.
Hey Hey Hey!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^ Haha at reactions to Billy. He's like an annoying Dhalsim with a jerk's grin! I find getting beat by Bao to be much more soul-crushing, though...

gundamkyoukai said:
While you add it fix my yuri ,she is just shell of here former self cries .

Ehhh, how so? This a design or a moveset issue? I rarely hear anything said about her by those who get to play her, she's one of the most well-rounded characters in the game, and was well "refreshed" compared to many others.

About the only things I miss for her are "DOUBLE!" after a Chou Uppa, jumping Raihoken's exploding into little power burst (since it was a unique fireball trait) and her riff offa Ryu's Donkey Kick (hella useful). But all in all, I look forward to playing this Yuri as much as I did CvS2 Yuri (she just really worked for me back in the day...)

Never cared about her Chou-Knuckle (was fun, but seemed meh) or her Tatsumaki sepukyaku ripoff (Kula does it better!), sooo...

Now, see, I wish they'd do something to Clark. He needs moves derived out of his hop! The old terror of his run throws grabbing one out of things doesn't exist at ALL, in any gameplay style of his, anymore. I'd even settle with them just giving him a "RUNNING THREEEA!" DM that looks like a normal dash until he gets within range, lol.

Failing that, I'd settle with a return of Frankensteiner, or Shining Wizard. He's missing too much of his mixup. (Though I'll still play him even if he stays the same!)

Fersis said:
I asked him about the no blur option.. his answer: 'I cant answer ask Atlus' >8(

Heh, that's... unexpected. But maybe it's a hint? -blank-

So does the time between SNKP's announcement, and Atlus reciporacle one for western markets, mean we'll have some new content when Atlus FINALLY updates? Hopefully they bring Vids + Billy's theme with their press release.

SAB CA said:
Ehhh, how so? This a design or a moveset issue? I rarely hear anything said about her by those who get to play her, she's one of the most well-rounded characters in the game, and was well "refreshed" compared to many others.

Talking about her move set , she was perfect in XI.
Plus all those moves made the opponent think since she had so many options .
What i really miss the most is her df+k moves there were awesome for doing combos and mix ups.

Yeah they really should do something about clark with the way how the game change he has nothing going for him anymore.
To make matter worst he missing few moves that would make him better .

The same can be said for allot of chars but man talking about fighters online is too much typing when it comes to move sets and theory fighting lol.

I want to see clark with a grab that beats everything so I can have cool stories about K's missing combos online and getting FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU'd by Clark's Grab. And I want his grab to do some really stupid high amount of damage against K', Kula, Kyo, Raiden "since he's like five thousand pounds the toss should do more damage to compensate for dat weight" and Elizabeth because American power moves always triumph snooty nobility.

Tizoc said:
Flame effects are pretty lame IMO...
There is so much contrast with the colors. They remind me of some of the low color depth graphics we saw back in the 90s on PC, though this is clearly a stylistic choice going for hellish fire/brimstone-type flames. I've seen another KoF13 screen with a similar effect, but with green flames, *vomit*. I know I saw at least one screen with more normal looking flames, which is hopefully what most of the fire effects look like.

DukeTogo1300 said:
They remind me of some of the low color depth graphics we saw back in the 90s on PC, though this is clearly a stylistic choice going for hellish fire/brimstone-type flames. I've seen another KoF13 screen with a similar effect, but with green flames, *vomit*. I know I saw at least one screen with more normal looking flames, which is hopefully what most of the fire looks like.

Kyo's flames in XII were the same. Eh, they don't really strike me as bad. I'm used to the style by now. I was playing Capcom vs SNK tonight and I love how they went the transparent route, but they did stand out from the characters and backgrounds. Anyway,

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!

General Shank-a-snatch said:
There are still transparent flames. It's just that some of the fire attacks (Ralf, Kyo) are thick smoke + fire, that's why they look like that.

I see. They look better in motion than they do in screen shots!

Grokbu

Oh boy. I can't wait for this to release on consoles.
I like what they've done with the series with XIII, like the EX versions of moves that are drastically different and can set up nice combos.
I also dig the fact that you have a separate gauge for HD-cancels.

This is going to be crazy sweet!

I love the new stages they're adding, what looks to be Pao Pao Cafe looks really nice. Hopefully Richard and Bob appear in the background.

Billy wasn't my first choice for a console exclusive, but hey, if it opens the possibility of Eiji/Blue Mary/Yamazaki then he's more than welcomed. Although there's still the chance that they could just make Billy/Raiden/Hwa Jai a Fatal Fury 1 team and just give them one of those special ending pictures rather than his own team.

Top Bottom