• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

orioto

Good Art™
Shadow780 said:
29x6bmf.jpg

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/240/240847/

And about the logo, if i look at it closely, i can see some piece of cyber electro things.... FUCK. KOF IS ABOUT JAZZ AND FUNK AND OLD SCHOOL BADASSES, YOU MOTHERFUCKAS !!!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Heezzi said:
They should've just made the game in 3d.

They did, the 3d models were then retraced as 2D sprites. Thats how they got their HD look.

I didnt buy or try XII, but if this is feature complete I'll probably go for it. Ash Crimson makes a strong play for worst fighter character design of all time though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Raging Spaniard said:
They did, the 3d models were then retraced as 2D sprites. Thats how they got their HD look.

I didnt buy or try XII, but if this is feature complete I'll probably go for it. Ash Crimson makes a strong play for worst fighter character design of all time though.
:lol

Its not that bad.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fersis said:
:lol

Its not that bad.

Oh yes it is. I accepted that The King of Fashion series doesnt care about practical aspects, and thats totally fine, but people like Ash is a prime example of "lets see if we can get away with making this piece of shit our main character"

Swittcher

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
ZOMG SEXY LOGO, ALL IS FORGIVEN!

Hey shut up, that logo took 18,345 hours of sprite work by two guys, and that's why you should praise this release, despite the high probability everything else will be sub-par and underwhelming.

CadetMahoney said:
Can't be that bad, I hear Europe is worse.

You underestimate our corporate overlords greed. :lol

UK isn't that far behind, although the penetration is higher.

Raging Spaniard said:
Oh yes it is. I accepted that The King of Fashion series doesnt care about practical aspects, and thats totally fine, but people like Ash is a prime example of "lets see if we can get away with making this piece of shit our main character"

God damn freckles! >:|

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CadetMahoney said:
Can't be that bad, I hear Europe is worse.

We're about as good at broadband as we are at Rugby.

BTW I like Ash as a design. Seriously. he's one of the few non-Fatal Fury Chars I like.

Raging Spaniard

arstal said:
We're about as good at broadband as we are at Rugby.

BTW I like Ash as a design. Seriously. he's one of the few non-Fatal Fury Chars I like.

Did you like his design when you thought he was a girl?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:

I really liked Ash, not as much as K thought. But Ash is a bit more original and his KOF12 sprite just fits him perfectly, he acts and looks like an asshole. :lol

Is awesome to finish people with a grab in 12 with Ash, his grab is so damn awesome!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
Did you like his design when you thought he was a girl?

People thought he was a girl?

A bit feminine and metro, sure. A girl? SNK, as far as I recall, is usually nice enough to throw some breasts on their females.

Ash is a fun. :D I give SNK some credit for Ash. Very few companies would make the main hero/central character of an arc the "bad" guy.

Kintaro said:
People thought he was a girl?

A bit feminine and metro, sure. A girl? SNK, as far as I recall, is usually nice enough to throw some breasts on their females.

Ash is a fun. :D I give SNK some credit for Ash. Very few companies would make the main hero/central character of an arc the "bad" guy.

Honestly I did when I bought KOFXI(my first in the series) on a whim. I had no idea who he was until I loaded it up and well yeah....

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Honestly I did when I bought KOFXI(my first in the series) on a whim. I had no idea who he was until I loaded it up and well yeah....

You know that the staff character (Shion) is a dude right? :lol

-DarKaoZ- said:

After the Ash business I was disputing with a friend about Shion being a male and well it was an argument that went on too long.

I don't enjoy when my sexual preferences are being questioned in a fighting game SNKP

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Since we're on the subject....
Benimaru is 100% straight.
Mature and Vice are bisexual.
Andy Bogard is straight.
Ash and Shen Woo.... well you know.
They're a couple according to some fan fiction ive accidentally seen.

-DarKaoZ- said:

lol! i've only played my copy of KOF XI twice, I did not know this!!!

I don't mind Ash's design - he actually looks kinda cool in the XI artwork, whereas 2003's stuff looked a bit "eh". It's good to have something different every now and then that gets people whinging!

KOF 13 - BRING BACK LIN!

yeah this is the one ive been waiting to be as the complete version of KOF XII :D

hope they have had enough time to finish creating all the missing characters, levels and storyline that was supposed to be in XII :D

Raging Spaniard

Yeah I totally thought Ash was a girl, didnt make the design any better and I usually never confuse genders in anime (nor have a problem with the hydrogenous look, its a cultural thing)

But come on:

ash-crimson-in-the-king-of-fighters-xii.jpg

Fersis

KOFXIII OT will have Ash on the banner.
Just for you Raging Spaniard ^___^

V_Arnold

The Take Out Bandit said:
What would that have changed?

Keep sprites, or the elaborate techniques used behind the scenes to replicate sprite art, alive dammit!

Sprite haters need to be rounded up and exterminated for the betterment of mankind. >:|

Whao, this is elegant arrogance, as its best.
There are many 3d fighters in the market which simply DESTROY KOFXII's visuals. If they cant keep up, simply because they are clinging to an outdated and resource-wasting method, fine. They will surely have a spot near the dinosaurs in some museums.

And I am saying it with KOFXII, T6, SFIV, SCIV all sitting in my shelf.

GrayFoxPL

-DarKaoZ- said:
I really liked Ash, not as much as K thought. But Ash is a bit more original and his KOF12 sprite just fits him perfectly, he acts and looks like an asshole. :lol

Is awesome to finish people with a grab in 12 with Ash, his grab is so damn awesome!

Yeah, Ash is awesome. I thought it was a ridicilous design untill I played him. When they changed him a bit in XII I was little dissapointed but the animation turned me over again. He has the best animation in the game. He just walks like "Fuck thaaaaat. I don't care." You're just insulting opponnent with everything you do with Ash!

Brilliant design and original. And tell me this who is more memorable, your generic hero/villan like Duke or an homo/metro sexual douche antihero??

Ash is awesome, people need just to get over their sexual insecurity. Remember teens - playing Ash won't turn you gay. :lol

Raging Spaniard

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, Ash is awesome. I thought it was a ridicilous design untill I played him. When they changed him a bit in XII I was little dissapointed but the animation turned me over again. He has the best animation in the game. He just walks like "Fuck thaaaaat. I don't care." You're just insulting opponnent with everything you do with Ash!

Brilliant design and original. And tell me this who is more memorable, your generic hero/villan like Duke or an homo/metro sexual douche antihero??

Ash is awesome, people need just to get over their sexual insecurity. Remember teens - playing Ash won't turn you gay. :lol

lol so the only reason to think his design is bad is because Im insecure, aight

GrayFoxPL

Raging Spaniard said:
lol so the only reason to think his design is bad is because Im insecure, aight

Wasn't talking about you. :lol Right now just noticed your post were about that.

I know because lots of teens/kids are like that. They're not open and even scared of gay-like characters in games. Just by online comments you can see that's where most of the hate for Ash comes from.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah I totally thought Ash was a girl, didnt make the design any better and I usually never confuse genders in anime (nor have a problem with the hydrogenous look, its a cultural thing)

But come on:

That's 100 times better than his alt in Regulation A.

kofmia-char2.jpg

Fersis

To be fair, poor little Falcoon had to do like 1000 outfit designs on MI2: RA.
You cant make everyone awesome.

Also : Hi Lyte Edge, long time no see.

This has to be the most kickass tshirt ever done:
p_100225_01.jpg

vgachi57

Fersis said:
To be fair, poor little Falcoon had to do like 1000 outfit designs on MI2: RA.
You cant make everyone awesome.

Also : Hi Lyte Edge, long time no see.
falcoon's fanart is awesome. his original character designs and costumes are GARBAGE. he doesn't even bother try to recapture the spirit of the original character. blue mary with pigtails and slutty blue overalls comes to mind. and that ash variant above.

and no, kof 3d = kof maximum impact = more garbage. game was so broken and generic. even the new samurai shodown 3d looks like trash. stick to hand drawn sprites please. pretty pretty please.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
vgachi57 said:
falcoon's fanart is awesome. his original character designs and costumes are GARBAGE. he doesn't even bother try to recapture the spirit of the original character. blue mary with pigtails and slutty blue overalls comes to mind. and that ash variant above.

That's what I never got about People's opinions on the MI "Another" designs. They're not trying to fit the character as we know them. They where specifically trying to be a different take on the archetype. It wasn't just "Iori costume 2" you where given, for example, it was more like "This is an alternative character design for Iori, that we could have used. Old Iori is a 90's based rocker, how about we make the 'Another' an Emo-style 2000s rocker?" You can see this line of thinking through out each of the character in Maximum Impact 2 especially. I still think it's a great idea, even if I don't like all the designs. It's like we got classic designs for default, and also more modern takes on the character archetypes, for Anothers. Add in all the awesome fanservice costume (Char Aznable Lien, Gundam Hanzo, Terry Bogard Fio, Eva Costumes for Leona, Karman Cole for Geese, etc), and I think KoF MI series tried the hardest that any fighter has, with making enough costumes so everyone could find a color a style they liked, on almost any character.

There was SO much more work behind those designs, than simple Pallete swaps.

and no, kof 3d = kof maximum impact = more garbage. game was so broken and generic. even the new samurai shodown 3d looks like trash. stick to hand drawn sprites please. pretty pretty please.

I don't think SNKP has the passion for 3D, to make any at SFIV's level. Which is where we'd need to be, in order to start getting the animation to next-gen almost-as-good-as-2d levels. (Though I'd prefer a gritty, pencil-shaded take on graphics / animation that was as fluid as Naruto UNS!) They're sticklers for Tradition!! SNK(P) is a company made out of guys who think it's cool to have characters with names referencing Star Blazers,Voltes V, and Kamen Rider. Old school love is in their BLOOD.

It's all that passion that draws me to their games, and why I don't wanna ever see them bought-out by another company. I don't think anyone else would really allow them to be themselves. And from an artistic point of view, that'd be a huge shame.

So yes, I hope they can get the 2D to a level where it pleases THEMSELVES, and the resolution-crazy DPI mongers out there!! Between Blazblue and KoF XII, animation and art wise, I'd compare XII to OVA quality, and Blazblue to weekley TV episodes. KoF XII was one of the most unique, well crafted, from-the-ground-up graphic styles of all games released last year, and I really will be impressed if SNKP can get and exceed that level of pixel-spriting with a content-rich game.

Thus, bring on KOF XIII!! Really looking forward to seeing screenshots, gameplay, new characters... anything!

jett

D-Member
Raging Spaniard said:

But come on:

24o90gl.gif

"hmm..."

zsnvaf.gif

"bitch plz, you know want this!"

hsrh8n.gif

Shadow780

GrayFoxPL said:
I know because lots of teens/kids are like that. They're not open and even scared of gay-like characters in games. Just by online comments you can see that's where most of the hate for Ash comes from.

TBF some hate is understandable when they changed the main character from:

272px-Kxi.jpg

to

300px-Ash_Crimson.jpg

jett

D-Member
Dave Long said:
KOF XII has a great fighting system and superb animation. It feels just right. I'm really looking forward to XIII.

I agree that KOFXII feels awesome. The "punchy" impacts are great. I don't mean to bring BB up again, but that game feels like ass.

GrayFoxPL

Shadow780 said:
TBF some hate is understandable when they changed the main character from:

272px-Kxi.jpg

to

300px-Ash_Crimson.jpg

They didn't change main character for the series. With new saga comes new main character for the storyline. Old "main" still got their status, they just aren't in the center of the story. People were pissed off when the focus changed from Kyo to K' for the new story arc. Ash is way more interesting then K' was in his story IMO.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The only "main" chars who get shunted back are Terry and Ryo really.

This is one reason I really want the MI series to shift from KOF to Southtown-based as was rumored years ago- I think MI would have even worked better with those characters.

Shadow780

fair enough, main "focus" seems like the right assessment.

However K' has arguably better design than Ash. People weren't pissed about K's design as much as Ash AFAIK. Ash is just too different, although some like different I presume.

In terms of storyline the Orochi Saga still trumps both NESTS and the new one. Nothing in the main storyline interests me so far.

Dali

jett said:
zsnvaf.gif

"Silent but violent- try my own original recipe"
fixed

and I too hate Ash's design. It just plain sucks. I've got no problem with androgynous dude characters. I know the Japanese love 'em and over the years I've gotten used to this idea. He just looks too lame for a supposed badass. Bellbottoms and a beehive? :lol Don't mess with this guy.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Dali said:
fixed

and I too hate Ash's design. It just plain sucks. I've got no problem with androgynous dude characters. I know the Japanese love 'em and over the years I've gotten used to this idea. He just looks too lame for a supposed badass. Bellbottoms and a beehive? :lol Don't mess with this guy.

He's fun as hell to play as. I don't mind the crouching poofer hidden badass trope on him cause he's fun. Beats gi-wearing dorks every day. (no offense to Takuma/Ryo here)

Fersis

<G.O.B>Oh come on!</G.O.B>

Im the only Ash defense force member?
He is fun to play so thats enough for me... and he makes a lovely couple with Shen Woo.

K.Sabot

Fersis said:
He is fun to play so thats enough for me... and he makes a lovely couple with Shen Woo.
Nope. He's in my top 3 favorite KoF characters.

Fersis said:
<G.O.B>Oh come on!</G.O.B>

Nope I'm here and accounted for. Ash has always been a favorite of mine. He was a nice change of pace for the series. He's one of my mains in Reg A and XII and hopefully XIII as well.

Top Bottom