• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Also, I think BB and VF5 have input schemes that are more netplay friendly then most other fighters.

As for KOF, that was just bad net code- no excuses possible for it.

SAB CA said:
I still think they should try other games with such styles. I might not want a KoF with Blazblue-like shading and the like... but a new series, or something downloadable, or something in another Genre? sure, I'd be game.

Wish I could form a 10 / 20 man studio, and start working on some SNKP downloadable sequels/remakes/NEW GAMES. They just have so much they could work with!

Pixel Doubling Ugly! Pixel Doubling on HD- EXTRA UGLY! Whatever filtering they're doing, it probably makes the sprite appear to scale, without pixel doubling, so it stays nice and consistent throughout any style of zoom. (This is speculation, lol. Hard to tell without actual first hand playing)

I'm sure we'll have options in the home port, but really... given the publics reaction, even I'm happy with the look for now. I think they found a very nice compromise, and it looks better than what they used in XII.

Should. Even Arcade version of XII seemed to have different variety of filters that could be set by the arcade operator.

I think your name makes you partial to Neowave... :lol I just played it the other day myself, however. Without 2002UM, it was the closest I'd get to the game style. (especially with 2002/2003 not being well emulated on 360.. bah.) I had hundreds of matches on it online, so yeah... I rather like it too. It gave me the highest number of "tourney-level" KoF beatings over the net; I fought play beyond what I've see on 98UM online. It was rather inspiring, and humbling. I like the addition of Just-defend and guard break attacks too; super cancel also seems quite like HyperDrive, so I find it all quite appealing.

Was also fun to use your color edits online. Actually saw a few decent ones, as well as contributed to that pool myself ^_^

I was never able to play 2002UM since its only Japanese....but Neowave is basically a fixed up 2002. So I can see them being similar in a way.

But yeah, I'm sure the filter doesn't look its best when in still screens, but looks good in motion, which is what the game's sprites emphasize besides detail (otherwise it would be blazblue).

Honestly, the high res screens look great to me, and I'm sure the home port will have even better filters and/or the original look too (tho apparently it might look messy).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Frankfurt said:
Pachinko is what keeps SNK afloat, if you don't want pachinko, you're saying you want the company to close. And pachislots are no different from any arcade machine.
Yup i know.
But i dont like what they did to Rose and Momoko.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Yup i know.
But i dont like what they did to Rose and Momoko.

Then take solace... that equally pervy things probably happen to a majority of the girls, throughout the cellphone games. XD But hey, that's Japan for ya! (-_-;)

But through the power of fan creations, we can see Takuma lose his shirt, too!
omechkpo.gif
xwas3d4e.gif

(Link for oversized gif here)
(Credits for finding fanwork to fiol on SRK)

As cool as heading in that direction woulda been... I love what SNKP has done with Takuma. They've made a much more unique, closer-to-the-inspiration version of him, and I think what they did takes more guts.

Note that Takuma could beat the absolute hell out of Ryu. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SAB CA said:
Then take solace... that equally pervy things probably happen to a majority of the girls, throughout the cellphone games. XD But hey, that's Japan for ya! (-_-;)
Yup i know that theres a market for that.

Finaika

SAB CA said:
But through the power of fan creations, we can see Takuma lose his shirt, too!
omechkpo.gif
xwas3d4e.gif

(Link for oversized gif here)
(Credits for finding fanwork to fiol on SRK)

As cool as heading in that direction woulda been... I love what SNKP has done with Takuma. They've made a much more unique, closer-to-the-inspiration version of him, and I think what they did takes more guts.

Note that Takuma could beat the absolute hell out of Ryu. :lol
Looks like his Art of Fighting 2 sprite in HD, but I prefer SNKP's one by a mile, its more bold.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'm happy for a reinvented Takuma also. One of my regrets about this new KOF direction was that they didn't reinvent as many chars as they could have. For every Ralf and Chin who got sent in a whole new direction, they just copy and pasted movelists for chars like Andy and Kyo.

What makes it worse is the chars they revamped, except for Duo Lon, tended to be the chars I liked the old movelists for. I loved being able to do crap like Chin cr.C, hit behind me (or beat out a Larf Kick), then DM. That ability went away in UM though- they nerfed that normal hard.

This is what got me loving KOF- all the weird stuff you could do, that there wasn't really an equivalent in SF for. Ever since getting into KOF around 2002-2003 or so, I've never even been able to appreciate SF all that much.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's nice seeing so many prefer SNKP's Takuma; It's good to see a solid, yet different design get proper appreciation!

It'd be so great to see new Takuma fight "Boring Ryu" in another crossover game... The one who single handedly defelcted a beam meant to destroy a town with Shi-koken, VS the guy who Shoryuken's waterfalls in his spare time...

After that last Arcadia Tournament vid, I wonder if he'll end up being the master of insane ground control, or if they'll tone him down any before the full release? Combo->Short Range Fireball->Combo looked so potentially broken! :lol I really like the idea though, if they can keep it balanced.

Everytime I think of anything AoF related, I start humming Todoh's stage theme in AoF 1... wow, I kinda wanna play some AoF 1 now... love PS2 collection disk! ^_^

I still think it'd be awesome if we got a XII-styled SvC Chaos remake/sequel. Combine the rosters from Chaos and MotM and it would be easy to reuse the characters in XIII. Adding a Tengu mask to Takuma, I'd love to play as his Mr. Karate incarnation again (when I see his XIII self, I think he's ALMOST as badass as his Serious Mr. Karate incarnation).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cant's leave GAF out of the new info and... wait, we can't post scans here, can we? DOH!

Ok then, I can describe what the latest KOF info shows...

It shows a New DM for Leona, An image of K' Neomax, some Fan club Omake on Mai, Chin's new DM that can be preformed while drunk, and Shen Woo's ability to deflect fireballs once again (he lost this in XII.)

I'm quite happy over Leona having a new super, K' looks like he's really unleashing his flames (Kinda like Kyo's Mu Shiki), new Chin DM counter wires, and I LOVE counter Wire moves, Shen screaming away fireballs is ALWAYS awesome, and... I really wish we had some new vids already ^_^

But at least Neogeo Battle Coliseum is confirmed to come out on US XBLA tomorrow, so I'm cool!

Oh, and Little Akari of Last Blade has grown up... for the sake of Pachislot!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZr06LDAO1M

Juzo, you better watch over her! (This is so very odd.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
Neat! Akari was always my favorite character in LB, so it's kinda cool to see her grown up, but damn it just makes me wish we could see a new LB. Maybe we'll see this grown up Akari in a new NGBC though, I wish.

I wish the logic was always "SNKP revives properties, in order to make multiple types of media for them", but... yeah. An aged-up Akari is so cool; she's also my fav. from LB 1. I'll also be happy to kick people around in NGBC with her... -cackle- 100 Demon Sabbath > all challengers!!

I find it funny, to think of what a Last Blade 3 HD in the trailers style would look like... Like Blazblue, except probably even more simple shading, but probably much better animated... it would also be so very weird...

SAB CA said:
I wish the logic was always "SNKP revives properties, in order to make multiple types of media for them", but... yeah. An aged-up Akari is so cool; she's also my fav. from LB 1. I'll also be happy to kick people around in NGBC with her... -cackle- 100 Demon Sabbath > all challengers!!

I find it funny, to think of what a Last Blade 3 HD in the trailers style would look like... Like Blazblue, except probably even more simple shading, but probably much better animated... it would also be so very weird...

Actually that's not a bad idea. Outsource it to Arc as they were the original devs.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Choppasmith said:
Actually that's not a bad idea. Outsource it to Arc as they were the original devs.

that explains a lot of why the game needed a 10 page banlist. Back then Arc didn't know how to make balanced games.

I think Last Blade could work on the MI engine though.

Zezboob

Choppasmith said:
Wait, your are sure of it ?

I thought that it was the same team behind Last Blade 1&2 and MOTW.

Since Last Blade 2 was released on 98 a bit after Guilty Gear on PS I find it strange.

I should check the credits one day.

Fersis

Please keep Arc System Works away from my SNKP franchises.
Thank you very much.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Has anyone heard much about NGBC netcode? If it's decent, then I will get hype for XIII, as it will be likely the biggest issue will have been solved.

Fersis said:
Please keep Arc System Works away from my SNKP franchises.
Thank you very much.

Come on man, ignore their character designs; they're a solid development house that also keeps the 2D torch burning. Plus they're ex-SNK staffers.

I would play an ASW developed Samurai Shodown game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Has anyone heard much about NGBC netcode? If it's decent, then I will get hype for XIII, as it will be likely the biggest issue will have been solved.

Check SRK's NGBC thread. Short answer: Yeah, it seems quite good!

Fersis

The Take Out Bandit said:
Come on man, ignore their character designs; they're a solid development house that also keeps the 2D torch burning. Plus they're ex-SNK staffers.

I would play an ASW developed Samurai Shodown game.
Dont care.
I dont want anyone to touch my SNK characters !!! >8(

Shame on you Capcom SHAME ON YOU!!

tzare

SAB CA said:
Check SRK's NGBC thread. Short answer: Yeah, it seems quite good!
i hope it is ,as most XBL gamers are from US :D
I have such a hugeeeeeeeeeeee lag when playing Fatal Fury Special XD

I like that takuma very much, but i love the new one even more :D

I can't wait for official console announcement at E3 :)

Fersis said:
Dont care.

You're not being rational here.

I can agree with the sentiment that sub-contracting can result in crap, just see my opinion on certain 3D abortions.

However sub-contracting to competent developers is one way to keep the franchises and series relevant; and it seems to be a growing trend amongst Japanese developers.

Better SNK make the money and stay in business, then end up going out of business and we no longer get new SNK games or worsehaving some lesser developer buy up their properties and crap out even worse versions, or just use the female characters in shitty hentai PC games like what happened to poor Yuko from Valis. :(

Fersis

The Take Out Bandit said:
You're not being rational here.

I can agree with the sentiment that sub-contracting can result in crap, just see my opinion on certain 3D abortions.

However sub-contracting to competent developers is one way to keep the franchises and series relevant; and it seems to be a growing trend amongst Japanese developers.

Better SNK make the money and stay in business, then end up going out of business and we no longer get new SNK games or worsehaving some lesser developer buy up their properties and crap out even worse versions, or just use the female characters in shitty hentai PC games like what happened to poor Yuko from Valis. :(
Im cool if its something like SFIV: Dimps doing the work and Capcom doing all the design.
So yeah, SNKP doing all the characters and game design and ASW doing the code its cool to me.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
Im cool if its something like SFIV: Dimps doing the work and Capcom doing all the design.
So yeah, SNKP doing all the characters and game design and ASW doing the code its cool to me.

Isn't Arc a combo of the Samsho I/II and original Vampire teams anyways? They know how to make an SNK game.

Blazblue really restored my faith in Arc, even if the game wasn't competitive, it was accessible, unlike Guilty Gear.

I will say this- hearing the reports of NGBC netcode- I feel safe being hype for XIII now. Hearing it's decent , maybe even actually good. If SNK pulls this level of netcode of for XIII, it will do well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fersis said:
Dont care.

K2 (who like Arc is also comprised of former SNK staff) developed the last putrid, piece of shit Samurai Shodown game. PLEASE give it to Arc.

It seems like almost all (if not all?) these various developers are comprised of ex-Capcom or SNK staff, so what difference does it make? You act as if Arc System Works making an SNK game automatically means it will be the same character designer(s) that worked on BlazBlue.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lyte Edge said:
K2 (who like Arc is also comprised of former SNK staff) developed the last putrid, piece of shit Samurai Shodown game. PLEASE give it to Arc.

It seems like almost all (if not all?) these various developers are comprised of ex-Capcom or SNK staff, so what difference does it make? You act as if Arc System Works making an SNK game automatically means it will be the same character designer(s) that worked on BlazBlue.

I'd love to see Arc do something else- Battle Fantasia was a good concept- and probably the only fighting game ever designed by a female.

Too cool. As a One Piece fan, seeing Ralf, one of my favorite characters, do a Jet Gatling Gun, makes me smile.

I really hope the flashiness of XIII can draw the more "Anime/casual" Blazblue crowd. I think the reason why Guilty Gear and BlazBlue have done so well over SNK fighters is that they're so over the top and flashy which attracts that Anime crowd, and the "Old SNES" graphics of older KoF games have turned them off. Of course if it gets good reviews, and this should by the way things are shaping up, hopefully KoF can get its foot in the door and finally get some success.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
hmmm. . . so basically do the cancel combo then you have an eternity to get ready to input the command for the max2 as long as u see you have the stocks. Looks good, but isn't really "impressive" when someone does it in a match tbh.

I'm talking about the Damage and how awesome they look, nothing to do with skill and/or timing. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CadetMahoney said:
Yea I already accounted for that if you read the post. :lol

I got a feeling that people from SRK are going to end up complaining that XIII's execution is too easy. Screw that garbage.

I don't mind if it's easy one bit.

krakov

CadetMahoney said:
hmmm. . . so basically do the cancel combo then you have an eternity to get ready to input the command for the max cancel as long as u see you have the stocks. Looks good, but isn't really "impressive" when someone does it in a match tbh.

Many DM to SDM cancels work this way, I guess there is still a somewhat tight window of opportunity as you'll need to hit the command at a certain window in the DM. More a matter of meter usage than of skill. It's pretty much the same when you hit with a good normal or normal > command move, there usually is quite a bit of time for hit confirmation if you'd like to tack on a DM at the end.

I must say I'm really impressed with NEOmax so far. Never was a fan of the HSDM moves in KOF 2002 as they were usually built with old sprites and kinda weird looking. Most of the NEOmax moves have new frames and/or effects as well as awesome sound design. Even if some of them look a bit plain, the sound makes up for it, like the Leona one.

Fersis

Lyte Edge said:

Dood read my posts, im saying that im cool if they just code it.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Leona NEW DM and NEOMAX combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtATBcqEMRo
Clark DM, EX DM to NEOMAX combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZkXuSqjwg
Ralf insane 99 hit NEOMAX combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNAlSeaolk

I have only 1 thing to say... HOLY SHIT! :lol
Yup, they polished the hell out of the NeoMAX since the loketests.
Pretty awesome stuff.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It makes a lot of sense, when making a game to be played online, to have generous windows for skills and combos. This is one reason I think Blazblue feels so good online; the timing to do many combos and skills feels much looser than SFIV.

I also believe it makes sense, as it works towards making a fighter appealing to a larger audience. Convoluted execution is an unnecessary barrier that really makes games less appealing to play as time goes on...
Do I have to put a "IMHO" here? XD

Anywho, Love the fact Leona's stuff is so subtle (14 hits to do that much damage!) and to the point. It fits her personality well, and I'll always think it's a better way to show off raw power, than excessive beatdowns. (However, I love some excessive beatdowns too, lol. They each have their place.)

100610_01.jpg

She looks a bit more "emo" here than she did in XII's art, and probably a bit less mature too, but I can support this artwork :D

Clark Neomax buff GET! Amazing what a few good effects + better pacing can do. Zoom on UAB = Best Zoom Yet!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
It makes a lot of sense, when making a game to be played online, to have generous windows for skills and combos. This is one reason I think Blazblue feels so good online; the timing to do many combos and skills feels much looser than SFIV.

I also believe it makes sense, as it works towards making a fighter appealing to a larger audience. Convoluted execution is an unnecessary barrier that really makes games less appealing to play as time goes on...
Do I have to put a "IMHO" here? XD

Anywho, Love the fact Leona's stuff is so subtle and to the point. It fits her personality well, and I'll always think it's a better way to show off raw power, than excessive beatdowns. (However, I love some excessive beatdowns too, lol. They each have their place.)

100610_01.jpg

She looks a bit more "emo" here than she did in XII's art, and probably a bit less mature too, but I can support this artwork :D

Clark Neomax buff GET! Amazing what a few good effects + better pacing can do. Zoom on UAB = Best Zoom Yet!

It's the input buffers that are important.

Blazblue and VF have very generous input buffers- which is why those games are considered the best netcode on console. HDR does also.

You're SRK trogs will complain that it's too easy- but again, their opinions don't matter- as they'll deal. Execution should be as easy as possible, without hurting the game.

With this + NGBC netcode news, it is now safe to get hype.

Fersis

So whats the deal with NGBC net code? Its SFIV quality ?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
So whats the deal with NGBC net code? Its SFIV quality ?

People have settled on "Decent, good enough to support a community" XD

For me, I think it's among the best I've felt for long distance play, this side of Blazblue. A LOT of that probably has to do with the fact that the game is pretty generous with it's timing and buffering, but it all works together to be a vastly improved experience to any other modern-console SNKP fighter.

There's a LOT more positive buzz than negative, and you can count the negative around the net on a single hand. If they can pull THIS off on a $10 download, I expect equal or better for a full priced retail product!

Oh, and BTW:
Blog says that next week, Women's Team will be featured. However, the site/blog update will be LATE, and will appear on Friday rather than Thursday.

(Reposting awesome picture for new page XD)
100610_01.jpg

Yes, I'll play the role of Fanboy this time :lol

If KOFXIII has good net code every other fighting game can go to hell , just hope it sells more. Still with GAF i going to having people to play vs with .

Top Bottom