• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA said:
And Tears is just such a cool theme! Whenever a match would start, and he'd take off his headband, only to burn it in his hands... it felt all impactful and important.

...99 definitely is one of my fav soundtracks of the series, I have to say. Tears, KD-0079, and Psycho Sonic Trip just seemed so fresh at the time. Especially the arranged versions for Dreamcast.

agree on everything, i can't get enough of the 99 soundtrack.

mintylurb

GuardianE said:
They're probably complaining that the people representing their country in the backgrounds look hideous. It makes it seem like all French ladies are fatties and all Chinese people look like cavemen. As posted already, ALL the background characters look ugly, so there's no discrimination or anything like that.
So, SNK got it right..lol I keed. Anyway, I'm so stoked for this game. I can't wait to kick jett's butt!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Augemitbutter said:
agree on everything, i can't get enough of the 99 soundtrack.

SNK has a lot of different neat tracks. One thing I would have liked to see in XIII was each CHARACTER getting a classic theme. FF chars would get their FF themes, AOF chars their AOF theme, other chars their themes from prevoius games.

This would have been my choice for Kyo. Daimon would get the 95 Japan Team theme, Beni the 94 Japan team Theme (I know it went to EX Kyo in 98)

AAK

Within all this hype for KOFXIII it spread onto my Tekken cutsomizations. Just decided to accessorize Nina as Shermie:

dy3y3m.png

30k9bn8.png

34nppqv.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
AAK said:
Within all this hype for KOFXIII it spread onto my Tekken cutsomizations. Just decided to accessorize Nina as Shermie:

-waves Chris Style- SHELUME! -waits for her classic "Hi-i!"-

I had hopes of making Asuka into Leona when T6 first came out... it didn't work so well... (T_T)

Jack might make a good, mutated Maxima... Wonder if Miguel could make a decent K'...
My favorite will still always be my Nakaruru Talim in SC4! ^_^

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Slightly-related, who is planning on getting NeoGeo Battle Coliseum for XBLA next week? I take it a lot of people are going to wait and see how the online turns out. I will be your guinea pig.

Enk

makes good threads.
Lyte Edge said:
Slightly-related, who is planning on getting NeoGeo Battle Coliseum for XBLA next week? I take it a lot of people are going to wait and see how the online turns out. I will be your guinea pig.

I will definitely be staying up for it's release.

AAK

SAB CA said:
-waves Chris Style- SHELUME! -waits for her classic "Hi-i!"-

I had hopes of making Asuka into Leona when T6 first came out... it didn't work so well... (T_T)

Jack might make a good, mutated Maxima... Wonder if Miguel could make a decent K'...
My favorite will still always be my Nakaruru Talim in SC4! ^_^

Lili makes a good Leona!

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKA1XNonCrc

Check 3:11

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I remember playing a guy in SC4 who had a custom char dressed up like Kasumi, but SC4 allowed a lot more customization then Tekken did.

I think I used my Geese Howard Mina counter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
I remember playing a guy in SC4 who had a custom char dressed up like Kasumi, but SC4 allowed a lot more customization then Tekken did.

I think I used my Geese Howard Mina counter.

Also have Kasumi Talim... and Cham Cham Talim... I have a lot of Talims ^_^ You'd think I'd play SC4 more now... I never got used to using a joystick with it, as I played it mostly before I got the TE... Used to play SC2 all the time in the arcades, so it suprised me that playing 4 on a stick felt so totally foreign to me... :( I guess it has been a few years...

AAK said:
Lili makes a good Leona!

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKA1XNonCrc

Check 3:11

Doh, why does it have to be someone I don't play often! XD Not bad at all though, thanks for sharing!

Lyte Edge said:

Yeah, definitely getting NGBC. 10 dollars is worth it just to be able to play it locally with my TE. Online, stages, and changed artwork are just a nice bonus ^_^

Now if the Online turns out fantastic, with the addition of color customization on top of all that... then I'll be quite happy, mind you...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Interesting quote by MadMax from Ignition regarding KOFXII:

The crazy part is one of the early builds for KoFXII had an Oswald portrait in the time stats screen. Seems like he was cut altogether as I've seen nothing to indicate he'll be anywhere in XIII.

Mileena

Banned
Do we know if this game is gonna have a terrible netcode like all other SNK games? I want to get it but a fighting game is worthless without online.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Do we know if this game is gonna have a terrible netcode like all other SNK games? I want to get it but a fighting game is worthless without online.

Nope, we do not know, but for what its known SNKP is in a really tight situation with KOF series, so its do or die. So I bet they will try to have a good netcode this time, NGBC could be the first test of this.

Been playing KoF98 Mame/online, so many memories, game rocks, also remembered why Terry was cheezy in this one, F N rising tackle was a upper cut motion and not charge...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
-DarKaoZ- said:
Nope, we do not know, but for what its known SNKP is in a really tight situation with KOF series, so its do or die. So I bet they will try to have a good netcode this time, NGBC could be the first test of this.

Didn't people say that Samurai Spirits Sen had good netcode? I wouldn't know since I avoided that steaming pile of shit like the plague. Suffered enough playing the arcade version!

Lyte Edge said:

I thought that was just Japan, it's coming out to the US then?

Man, as an SNK fan I really regret not having an XBox 360. Damn exclusivity deal... :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
I thought that was just Japan, it's coming out to the US then?

Man, as an SNK fan I really regret not having an XBox 360. Damn exclusivity deal... :(

Metal Slug XX started out the same way... SNKP announces release on their site, noone else gets a press release, page is updated on Japanese Xbox.com, America speculates... and then Wed rolls around, and it's a world-wide release.

As far as Samurai Shodown Sen's Netcode... the few matches I got into online seem tolerable. Kidna hard to judge, considering how the game itself feels. It's very playable, however.

Neowave had some nice Netcode back in the day... I still wonder what happened since then!

Well anyway, I'm eager to hear how the title turned out, I heard something about them adding a Story Mode, and was really curious what they mean.

And while we're talking about SNK stuff. Just up the street from my house at a liquor store, they've got an old run down MVS unit with a KoF 2000 sitting outside. I just asked the owner tonight about it and he's selling it for 100 dollars and that it just needs a fixed screen. I want it SO BAD, but I just don't have the room in my house for it.

Lyte Edge said:
Didn't people say that Samurai Spirits Sen had good netcode? I wouldn't know since I avoided that steaming pile of shit like the plague. Suffered enough playing the arcade version!
Hey, hey, leave Samurai Showdown Sen alone. I found the game more enjoyable than Tekken. You know why? Because the damn side stepping system works, and the hit-boxes are consisted unlike Tekken. The graphics look like dog shit, but the game plays fine and the Music is awesome. Is like SC.jr. :) *And yes, I wrote this with a straight face

tzare

ShinobiFist said:
Hey, hey, leave Samurai Showdown Sen alone. I found the game more enjoyable than Tekken. You know why? Because the damn side stepping system works, and the hit-boxes are consisted unlike Tekken. The graphics look like dog shit, but the game plays fine and the Music is awesom. Is like SC.jr. :) *And yes, I wrote this with a straight face
i am waiting for a price drop in UK online stores to pick it up :D It is SNK afterall.... well kind of :D

TreIII

Choppasmith said:
Well anyway, I'm eager to hear how the title turned out, I heard something about them adding a Story Mode, and was really curious what they mean.

And while we're talking about SNK stuff. Just up the street from my house at a liquor store, they've got an old run down MVS unit with a KoF 2000 sitting outside. I just asked the owner tonight about it and he's selling it for 100 dollars and that it just needs a fixed screen. I want it SO BAD, but I just don't have the room in my house for it.

Hey, if nothing else, I would buy the thing, and put the thing in storage until you can do something more with it.

If nothing else, you could always just take the MVS unit out of it, and then get a SuperGun in order to be able to basically have a "consolized" hook-up that wouldn't take up any more space than a normal console. Of course, you would have to know your way around a SuperGun...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh, the Spheres...

Last time it was Momoko losing her outfit, now it's Rose popping a few buttons... they like working with the younger ones, eh?

Ahh well... I wonder what kinda reception there'd be if they released a collection of these games as downloadables? Most successful SNKP console product since MI series? Quickly forgotten, embarassing novelty? Worthwhile promotion for KoF XIII? -shrug-

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Oh, the Spheres...

Last time it was Momoko losing her outfit, now it's Rose popping a few buttons... they like working with the younger ones, eh?

Ahh well... I wonder what kinda reception there'd be if they released a collection of these games as downloadables? Most successful SNKP console product since MI series? Quickly forgotten, embarassing novelty? Worthwhile promotion for KoF XIII? -shrug-

These games are what funded KOFXIII. They're SNK's most profitable videogames.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
These games are what funded KOFXIII. They're SNK's most profitable videogames.

Well yeah, but they're all Cellphones games, and things released only in Japan. My question is, if they were scaled up, made console downloadable game worthy, and sold to an international audience, I wonder how well they'd do?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For the type of people the fanservice is targeting, I think the art is perfectly fine. It's better than a lot of the similiar anime that comes out with the same intent.

The "better artist" should be used for the more important projects, I'd say! Let the juniors cut their teeth on the artwork where only 2 things are really important...

Anywho, I'd kinda like to play the battleship game... just because... I like battleship! It's so funny to see the Maximum Impact characters, and various offshot people, getting placed into these weird little games.

Wish they'd use such cast and resources on things like the Neo Geo Pocket KoF, Fatal Fury, and Samurai Shodown games... Ahh well, at least they're making Skystage. I really wish they'd make some Brawlers again... even looking back at something as old as Robo Army still looks enjoyable, because they put so much personality into those games...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
For the type of people the fanservice is targeting, I think the art is perfectly fine. It's better than a lot of the similiar anime that comes out with the same intent.

The "better artist" should be used for the more important projects, I'd say! Let the juniors cut their teeth on the artwork where only 2 things are really important...

Anywho, I'd kinda like to play the battleship game... just because... I like battleship! It's so funny to see the Maximum Impact characters, and various offshot people, getting placed into these weird little games.

Wish they'd use such cast and resources on things like the Neo Geo Pocket KoF, Fatal Fury, and Samurai Shodown games... Ahh well, at least they're making Skystage. I really wish they'd make some Brawlers again... even looking back at something as old as Robo Army still looks enjoyable, because they put so much personality into those games...

What am I still surprised is the quality on Pachinko animations, I still remember the Garou Pachinko video, man it had some sick animations in it. I was just watching the video today and made me remember how I thought SNKP was going to use that kind of animation for KOF12 back in the day. :lol

Ok so looking back at some of the high quality pics, I can only deduct that the smoothIng filter only makes the sprites lose color and they become less focused.

I understand that kof xii had them double zoom, with no filter and it looked pretty good- so why not do it with this- since they are already smaller and will look less pixelated.

Even judging by the kula pic- it seems that without filter- the blown up sprite seems to retain more authenticity- especially in the colors.

So the biggest question here is whether the home port will allow the smoothing filter to be turned off for us authentic pixel art lovers.

Hopefully snkp knows this and implements it in their home version- as it would be a damn shame. Maybe someone can give them a heads up and let em know. I remember when I used to e-mail Herman from snkp and it would be funny/genuine to get responses and see how close they would communicate with the fans. But now I lost the addy :(

Either way--been playing neowave lately and I must say- underrated game in the series- yet gets me pumped for this iteration.

Frankfurt

Banned
The pachislot animations were drawn by Falcoon (in fact, just from looking at the artbook, i would say all the frames combined from one pachislot machine is less work than what he drew for KOF MI2). They do, indeed have much better animation than 90% of 2D KOFs - hell, all of them, as i wasn't a fan of the DC98 and 94RB animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpn-PkSR_mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7KZLEDekTA

The pachinko division has a lot more money than the gaming division, though, so that's not surprising.

IIRC, the sprites would get pixel-doubled since they're at 150%. SNK can't use them at 200% like in XII since it's proven everyone but fans whined about it, at 100% they're too tiny and at 150% they look messy in a different way.

So, filter it is. SAB can elaborate better about that.

Frankfurt

Banned
Pachinko is what keeps SNK afloat, if you don't want pachinko, you're saying you want the company to close. And pachislots are no different from any arcade machine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
What am I still surprised is the quality on Pachinko animations, I still remember the Garou Pachinko video, man it had some sick animations in it. I was just watching the video today and made me remember how I thought SNKP was going to use that kind of animation for KOF12 back in the day. :lol

I still think they should try other games with such styles. I might not want a KoF with Blazblue-like shading and the like... but a new series, or something downloadable, or something in another Genre? sure, I'd be game.

Wish I could form a 10 / 20 man studio, and start working on some SNKP downloadable sequels/remakes/NEW GAMES. They just have so much they could work with!

atomiswave said:
Ok so looking back at some of the high quality pics, I can only deduct that the smoothIng filter only makes the sprites lose color and they become less focused.

I understand that kof xii had them double zoom, with no filter and it looked pretty good- so why not do it with this- since they are already smaller and will look less pixelated.

Pixel Doubling Ugly! Pixel Doubling on HD- EXTRA UGLY! Whatever filtering they're doing, it probably makes the sprite appear to scale, without pixel doubling, so it stays nice and consistent throughout any style of zoom. (This is speculation, lol. Hard to tell without actual first hand playing)

I'm sure we'll have options in the home port, but really... given the publics reaction, even I'm happy with the look for now. I think they found a very nice compromise, and it looks better than what they used in XII.

atomiswave said:
Even judging by the kula pic- it seems that without filter- the blown up sprite seems to retain more authenticity- especially in the colors.

So the biggest question here is whether the home port will allow the smoothing filter to be turned off for us authentic pixel art lovers.

Should. Even Arcade version of XII seemed to have different variety of filters that could be set by the arcade operator.

ATOMISWAVE said:
Either way--been playing neowave lately and I must say- underrated game in the series- yet gets me pumped for this iteration.

I think your name makes you partial to Neowave... :lol I just played it the other day myself, however. Without 2002UM, it was the closest I'd get to the game style. (especially with 2002/2003 not being well emulated on 360.. bah.) I had hundreds of matches on it online, so yeah... I rather like it too. It gave me the highest number of "tourney-level" KoF beatings over the net; I fought play beyond what I've see on 98UM online. It was rather inspiring, and humbling. I like the addition of Just-defend and guard break attacks too; super cancel also seems quite like HyperDrive, so I find it all quite appealing.

Was also fun to use your color edits online. Actually saw a few decent ones, as well as contributed to that pool myself ^_^

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Psycho Soldiers and Kim stories are translated in Spanish. I can't translate them in English atm, nor in a near future. But I can give you a summary.

-Choi comes to Chang and says he has a plan to get rid of Kim traning, which is KOF. Chang doesn't get it, since entering KOF will involve them. But then Choi says that Raiden and Hwa could enter instead of them and Chang likes the idea. Then they arrange Raiden and Hwa to go to a beach by South Town. Both started arguing about how they aren't working for Geese and who is better and who is worse. Then Kim interrups them and tells them he is the one that called them, to purify them bla bla bla. Hwa doesn't like the idea and is about to attack him, but Raiden stops him and tells him that entering to KOF tournament might help them, Raiden by getting more wrestling contracts and Hwa clearing his bad reputation. They talk about this while Kim is just blabling of his ideal stuff. They both agreed to join KIM and that is how KIM team is born.

-One night Kensou wakes up in the night, goes and looks around and hears his master Chin talking to a "young girl" by phone. Kensou in the next morning tells Athena that their master is committing adultery (since Chin is married ) Athena while covering Bao ears tells Kensou that she can't believe it, since Chin always talks so nice about his wife. Then Athena ask Momoko to hold Bao ears close while she and Kensou continue discussing. Then Momoko butts in and says they should check master Chin phone and see who is he talking too. While talking about this, they notice Bao is not there anymore, Momoko forgot about him. Then they see Bao talking to Chin, telling him everything. Then Chin makes fun of the situation and Kensou ask him who he was talking to, Chin to make kensou mad says "a Girlfriend". Then Chin provokes Kensou to fight him (to train), then Momoko and Athena are eating meat buns while they watch.

Hope this helps a bit.

corkscrewblow said:

I don't know if it was true but someone posted on SRK a while ago, copying one of Ponder's irc chat message saying something like "SNK licensed GGPO." I need to find that post.

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=229891&p=8634367&viewfull=1#post8634367

that was a bad day to announce it. We just don't know.

EDIT: what that guy below me said.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SephirothRK said:
I don't know if it was true but someone posted on SRK a while ago, copying one of Ponder's irc chat message saying something like "SNK licensed GGPO." I need to find that post.

It was a Joke, Aprils Fools iirc, but kinda early/late. But yeah, not happening, at least from what we know.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SephirothRK said:
OT: i don't have the console version of BlazBlue, but did they have ggpo quality or something better?

Yeah, the code was really good, not GGPO level, but really really close, way better that what SSF4 has to offer. I heard VF5 360 code was also really good, but never own the 360 ver, so I can't comment.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Chick in card game, upper right; B.Jenet?

Most likely, that is who I thought it was.

Top Bottom