• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yKBcrOeGM

K Team colors pallets in 1080p camera video.

It seems SNKP can't make Kula show some skin, I was expecting at least her belly to show, kinda like in this sprite:

KulaSkinmod.png

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-DarKaoZ- said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yKBcrOeGM

K Team colors pallets in 1080p camera video.

It seems SNKP can't make Kula show some skin, I was expecting at least her belly to show, kinda like in this sprite:
And why they should do that?
Kula is fine as it is, i like the Elisabeth got a redesign more fitting than his original design.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Fersis said:
And why they should do that?
Kula is fine as it is, i like the Elisabeth got a redesign more fitting than his original design.

Just a color pallet change, to make her look "different', you know, kinda like Yuri or Raiden that look completely different in some color schemes.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Just a color pallet change, to make her look "different', you know, kinda like Yuri or Raiden that look completely different in some color schemes.

Yep all the chars should have something like that . There so many ways for yuri to look i was hoping all the KOF chars had something like that .

jett

D-Member
Fersis said:
Nope. Arcade will release this year though (August - July published by Konami).

Re-posted because its too awesome too miss!:
Almost 36 minutes of direct feed footage from Exhibition matches!

Hope you guys have some extra pants.... 36 minutes!!

wow awesome

I love what SNK is doing with alternate colors, shit looks awesome, barely recognized the blonde/black Athena. Capcom should go sit in the corner and hang its head in shame.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Choppasmith said:
Huh, K's 10th color makes his glove black but his right pant leg red. Weird...
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zyvpue.jpg

Oh and I just know that white outfit is supposed to be reference to something, but I can't think of it.

For what I understand on this red leg outfit, is that K uses his leg a lot do throw fire, so instead of having a Glove to control fire, SNKP decided to make his Leg control fire. Or something like that.

Shadow780

It's soooooo pretty :O

edit: Wow Elizabeth has a lot of ways to combo into her super. Takuma, K and Kula looks awesome. I'm so glad Mature has her move back! Robert stole Iori's crossup kick. :lol

Athena seems very quick, I'm haapy, and Kensou has bigass balls.

Fersis said:
Nope. Arcade will release this year though (August - July published by Konami).

Re-posted because its too awesome too miss!:
Almost 36 minutes of direct feed footage from Exhibition matches!

Hope you guys have some extra pants.... 36 minutes!!
Boo, they changed Raiden's voice after all... Was hoping it'd stick around like it did during earlier location tests.
I know the voice actor died.

Also: any word on stage themes?

jett said:
I love what SNK is doing with alternate colors, shit looks awesome, barely recognized the blonde/black Athena. Capcom should go sit in the corner and hang its head in shame.
But a lot of those alternate colors are pretty terrible. Not that Capcom's efforts are any better.

SNK always rule when it comes to colors ,in allot of KOF games you can edit your chars .
I wish they have something like that for XIII, made some awesome colors for the guys i play in 98um.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
KOF XIII is going to appear in this E3, it's listed for both PS3 and 360. I just wonder who will be the publisher, it would be cool if it was SNKP USA, but Ignition did an amazing job advertising 12.

On other news, there is a rumor about the "White Ash" actually called Psyche or Saiki, which seems to means Soul in Greek.

And zomeone mentioned a quote from KOF2003 when Maki defeats Ash:
"The Sacred Mirror shows not your soul... what are you?"

Soul been the keyword there.

Frankfurt

Banned
Nona is not the art director in XIII. Professor says Arcadia confirms it.

Guess this is a Malin-Kisarah-Shiki case, where some sprites in the game fit the art direction, others... not so much. Doesn't mean every sprite from the new guy will be bad, but Nona must've had a stronger hand on quality-control, as every character in XII fit together perfectly.

That explains the nearly-traced, less-animated K', and out-place (in proportions, animation and shading) Kula.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
From Cyberfanatix:

Here are the taunts I read at MMCafe:

Reports from Twitter & etc:
Maxima: Crosses his arms and says something
King: Throws a rose
Clark: Does a fist-pump pose and says "Hey C'mon!"
Kensou: Does a choukyuudan, but a bun drops out instead of a projectile
Kyo: The usual taunt? "Anta ja moenee na"
Kim: Does four kicks, then glitters his teeth
It seems like some of the characters (Iori, Leona, etc) have slightly modified versions of their victory poses as their taunts. Hopefully this will be changed in the final release.

On Nona, Professor (from MMCafe) Added this:

I didn't realize it until today when skimming through the latest issue of Arcadia magazine; In KOFXIII, the position of "Art Dirctor" previously held by Nona has been replaced by another staff, Yamaguchi. Yamaguchi is one of the staffs that's been regularly commenting on the game in the official blog, so more avid KOF fans probably have noticed it already.

There's been unconfirmed reports since last fall that Nona had left SNKP after completion of the arcade version of XII. Judging from the current situation and how Nona looked extremely overworked and burnt out when he made a public appearance during XII's development, it may not come as much of a surprise if it turned out to be true.

Either way, whether he's still in SNKP or not, Nona is not the main artist working on XIII. According to Arcadia, which focused a full page on the new rendition of Mai, the sprite was created under Yamaguchi.

EDIT: Some translations from a the latest video in which the person mentions stuff of the Loketest in Japan:

With the severe photographing restrictions that were in place at the loketest, it was really hard to film anything... However, K' and Kula are definitely strong. In his NEOMAX Hyper Chain Drive , he unleashes a huge pillar of fire that surrounds him, think of something like Nameless's HSDM in KOF 2k2 UM. Towards the end of it, you can continue from his Shell.
Kula's Neo Freeze Execution starts with Foxy and Diana swiftly piercing the opponent as they repeat 'Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee!', only for Kula to finish it with her execution.
Maxima's Maxima Laser is in fact a showy version of the last beam from his KOF 2k2 UM. It seems to be hard to avoid.

NB:
White Ash's name is Saiki (could be Psyche like Ice-Kun said). He is seen after the 6th match with the overall championship victory and Rose's congratulations. At that time, the scene changes and he is shown talking to members of 'those from a distant land' about whether they managed or not to gather enough energy to initiate the ceremony. He gets mad at them. Ash (normal one) is shown then in some mysterious place trying to start something.

NB2:
* The damage for K' Hyper Chain Drive is around 70%.
* Kula's taunt sees her creating a snowman (Falling Snowman?)
* Almost all of Kula's quotes are about ice.
* In her victory screen against King, she mimics a waitress.
* If anyone gets the opportunity to go to the loketest, be make sure to check out the opening sequence (intro). The animation is more than amazing! Ash moving all slimy! It also seems like Kyo and Iori will join forces once again to face the enemy...!?

From Cyberfanatix

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Frankfurt

Banned
The blur makes it hard to tell. Which may be exactly why they figured they could stop going nuts on the shading ("why bother if it's going to be blurred anyway").

If this were KOF 99-XI i wouldn't give a shit, as the game had changing faces and limbs for a long time, but i'm hoping they won't repeat their mistakes this time over.

I hope you're right and the site version was just temporary, as i would turn the blur off right away.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Best comparison I could take:

HD Screenshot------------------Sprite off Website
KulaKompare.png

I suppose this game will at least have the kinda filter options ports like Neowave had; Various levels of soft filters, and then the original unfiltered sprites.

So we have a blog update about a day away now... this particular one is suppose to concentrate on gameplay stuff, rather than characters and teams. Wonder what kind of Videos we'll get for this one? Would be nice to get a few EX moves / EXDM exibitions, a Video of team battle in arcade mode, a high res vid of one of the story mode cinematics, or maybe a view of some of the taunts, and if they have any effect on the fight (Even if they built minimal meter, or ate away at the opponents..)

I was just at a loval anime con this weekend, and even though they had a few NeoGeo Arcade machines set up on free play, and... Samurai Shodown Sen (Which was fun to play with random people... fatal slashes are great crowd pleasers), they never had a KoF running while I was in there. Super Cosplay Wars Ultra, yes, 2002 UM, no! -sigh- Think that has more to do with lack of PS2's set up, rather than complete lack of interest, though.

At any rate, I really hope to see XIII there next year XD I really think it's headed in the right direction to at least sit side-by-side with BlazBlue, when it comes to pleasing such fandom.

It was funny how many people were hyped up watching Sen. Desperation slashes and dramatic finishes were actually getting crowd attention... and people swearing they where going to buy the game as soon as the Con was over... :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Indeed the filter makes the shading look better, but it still cause a "blur" feel to it, I prefer the sharpness of the unfilter sprites. :D

Anyways, someone in Cyberfanatix has started translating the AOF story, its not done, but its good so far:

What left Takuma Sakazaki astonished on that day was his beloved daughter, Yuri Sakazaki whom was important.

Takuma: "Yuri? Hey, is there something wrong?"

Yuri: "Eh?"

Yuri puts on her obi as she arrives at the dojo with a mean glare that made her father shake in anger.

Yuri: "What's wrong, you ask?"

Takuma: "Oh then there is something wrong! Your hair! Why the fuck would you do such a thing?"

Yuri: "Ah! This?"

Yuri's hair which used to reach down to the middle of her back, now touches down to her shoulder. Yuri had cut her hair short.

Yuri: "I stopped in the middle of the jogging course that I always ran, and there was a new hair salon. I decided to enter to see how it looked like."

Takuma: "I haven't heard about such a thing around here."

Takuma interrupts Yuri and his voice became more stern. There were other students of Takuma and Ryo other than Yuri with white obis within the dojo. There eyes all stare at Takuma. They all are wondering why Takuma had become angry all of a sudden.

Ryo is the son of Takuma and sister of Yuri and he understands why Takuma was suddenly displeased. Ryo lowered his eyebrows and approached his father. She will disgrace herself in front of the trainees that stop in from the neighborhood.

Ryo: "Yo, Father, that.."

Takuma: "You, shut up! Good, Yuri? I firmly want to say..."

Yuri: "What about you, guys? Can I make my own decisions?"

Robert Garcia arrives on the scene from the corner of the dojo in time to see the depressed looks of Ryo and Takuma.

Robert: "Ooh? Yuri-chan, you get a haircut?"

Yuri: "Uh, Umm"

Robert: "Wow, Such a short style you got. It is lovely."

Yuri: "Ahh! Robert-san so nice."

Yuri laughs and she smiles at Robert.

Robert: "Indeed Yuri-chan, the opponent won't be able to concentrate on your Y-shaped hairstyle?" (AN: I assume he is talking about opponents grabing at her long braid.)

Yuri: "It is good. It is proper when fighting an opponent without doing a lousy job at it."

Robert: "Natural and finesse, it is good discretion against an opponent for what it's worth."

Yuri: "Ahh, Robert-kun"

Takuma has a sour expression after being interrupted by Robert's appearance and breaks the conversation between the two.

Takuma: "If you want to fight, I'll be your opponent."

Yuri: "Eh! Are you sure, father?"

Takuma: "Don't forget that I am your father, but aside from it, you should not be quick to jump into relationships." (AN: Not the correct translation but I can deduce that Takuma challenges Robert to a fight and he is not proud of Robert and Yuri's relationship.)

Yuri: "A little, father."

Ryo: "Hey!:

Ryo quietly stopped Yuri from venting a few offensive words to their father.

Ryo: "Stop it now, Yuri"

Yuri: "Don't be so conceited! I've been wanting to do this a while ago."

Ryo: "Oh, so father's feelings mean nothing to you too."

Yuri: "Eh!"

For Ryo to say something so dubious, Yuri looked at him in confusion.

Yuri: Oh, for the sake of other trainees, let's settle it here.

Robert quickly changes into his clothes and stand in front of Takuma who is closing his obi. He glances at Ryo for a quick second, and winks with a smile. Robert probably knows the reason for Takuma's displeasure.

Ryo puts his hands together light to silently apologize to Robert, he prompts Yuri to stand silently as they watch the two have a practice fight.

--

The filter does give the sprite a little different touch of personality. I would need to see it in motion to see if it takes away from the characters, but it doesn't look too noticeable.

Hm....I wonder if it would be possible to blow up the website sprite up to the HD screenshots dimensions and see how it would look compared to the filter sprite once its all blown up.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:

KulaKompare.png

I was just at a loval anime con this weekend, and even though they had a few NeoGeo Arcade machines set up on free play, and... Samurai Shodown Sen (Which was fun to play with random people... fatal slashes are great crowd pleasers), they never had a KoF running while I was in there. Super Cosplay Wars Ultra, yes, 2002 UM, no! -sigh- Think that has more to do with lack of PS2's set up, rather than complete lack of interest, though.

Pretty sure I know where you're talking about.

My friend was the Roll cosplayer there. They did have KOFXI briefly. I played it briefly to try and shake off some KOF rust- which I had a ton of. Gleam of Force seemed pretty popular though.

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:

KulaKompare.png

That's what im saying. Zoom in and the left one is blurier.

People at forums like CX are still complaining about the background characters. Brazilians are complaining about the people in the forest background. Chinese about China and so on.

Newsflash: the characters are ugly and silly in all backgrounds! It's amazing how someone can complain about their own country then ignore all the rest.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Frankfurt said:
That's what im saying. Zoom in and the left one is blurier.

People at forums like CX are still complaining about the background characters. Brazilians are complaining about the people in the forest background. Chinese about China and so on.

Newsflash: the characters are ugly and silly in all backgrounds! It's amazing how someone can complain about their own country then ignore all the rest.
Why are they complaining? Its the art style?
Its cool, i mean its a personal taste. Theres nothing SNKP or any studio can do about it :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Pretty sure I know where you're talking about.

My friend was the Roll cosplayer there. They did have KOFXI briefly. I played it briefly to try and shake off some KOF rust- which I had a ton of. Gleam of Force seemed pretty popular though.

Ahhh, wish I knew! Would have been cool to meet up! And you answered the question as to what that "Other Doujin game" was! :D

Couldn't spend much time amongst the games, sadly... running a table in artist alley, while alone, makes such things near impossible. I really wanted to play something KoF-like, that wasn't Capcom Vs SNK 2... hopping feels so worthless in that game, and that just made me annoyed.

I loved playing XI there last year; felt so good to see it on actual arcade hardware. That was also the only time I got to play 2002 UM as well, and I was really looking forward to playing it this year... hurry up XBLA release!

Man, in that evironment... NGBC would probably have been a hit. All the random hype and discovery of different games by a vareity of players... it's the closest feel I get to playing in arcade-like public environments now-a-days... so it's always a highlight of my time there.

----

Went ahead and made a comparision screenshot between Maxima at normal sprite res, Maxima in the HD screenshot, and Maxima sized up 200%, maintaining pixel ratio (Nearest Neighbor scaled). Trying to scale him up to equal the sprite size on the screen produced nasty missized pixels at NN, and blurrier images at other scaling methods, and that just looked horrible, and would defeat the purpose of this little example.

vapuhkannun.png

Sprite comparisions: Native Resolution unfiltered / In Game w/ filter / 200% Native Resolution, unfiltered

(K' is going to have a very bad day if he gets the new Maxima army mad, I'd say.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fersis said:
Why are they complaining? Its the art style?
Its cool, i mean its a personal taste. Theres nothing SNKP or any studio can do about it :3

They're probably complaining that the people representing their country in the backgrounds look hideous. It makes it seem like all French ladies are fatties and all Chinese people look like cavemen. As posted already, ALL the background characters look ugly, so there's no discrimination or anything like that.

Fersis

GuardianE said:
They're probably complaining that the people representing their country in the backgrounds look hideous. It makes it seem like all French ladies are fatties and all Chinese people look like cavemen. As posted already, ALL the background characters look ugly, so there's no discrimination or anything like that.
Thats pretty silly. =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNKP should just post a blog stating one simple rule "Background characters in fighters never look as cool as foreground ones."

In SD games, this was achieved by having them with much lower detail, color, and animation. Worked out well, you knew who to focus on, because the main characters drew your eye the most, in color, style, personality, animation depth...etc.

Here in XIII, the BG characters are quite well shaded, animate nicely, and are technically probably at a higher resolution than the main characters? So past the whole "color" method, what's a good way to keep a player from looking at them? Make them unattractive, less desireable, and maybe even slightly offensive.

I still enjoy the idea that everyone watching KoF in these BGs obviously idolizes these Masculine and Feminine images of their worlds concept of physical perfection. It's like setting up a comedic or thematic foil in storytelling; the main attraction looks all the more interesting, because the foil lets you know what the mundane alternative would be like.

Add also that these BG characters are kinda fun to watch if you're spectating. For example, some of those Sumo's are fantastic with their personality, and the Brazillian tribesmen and women might have funny teeth and big lips, but they're kinda endearing... and the way they stick close by, toss their children into the air in excitement, and wave around confetti and such, is pretty cute.

The game would lose a lot of personality if everyone had the same model-like shapings that the main cast has... Why would Ralf, Clark, or Goro look like huge bruisers, if even the average guy in france could hulk out like that?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Ahhh, wish I knew! Would have been cool to meet up! And you answered the question as to what that "Other Doujin game" was! :D

Couldn't spend much time amongst the games, sadly... running a table in artist alley, while alone, makes such things near impossible. I really wanted to play something KoF-like, that wasn't Capcom Vs SNK 2... hopping feels so worthless in that game, and that just made me annoyed.

I loved playing XI there last year; felt so good to see it on actual arcade hardware. That was also the only time I got to play 2002 UM as well, and I was really looking forward to playing it this year... hurry up XBLA release!

Man, in that evironment... NGBC would probably have been a hit. All the random hype and discovery of different games by a vareity of players... it's the closest feel I get to playing in arcade-like public environments now-a-days... so it's always a highlight of my time there.

The local FGC - well, one of the members,was running the game room. I don't think he likes NGBC. A few of the locals showed up, saw a couple, a couple more said they were there. SamSho 2 trolling was interesting- that game is so broke if people know how to play it.

You were in AA? The Catgirl Island person there is one of my closest friends.

XI was on an HDTV and lagged horribly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
The local FGC - well, one of the members,was running the game room. I don't think he likes NGBC. A few of the locals showed up, saw a couple, a couple more said they were there. SamSho 2 trolling was interesting- that game is so broke if people know how to play it.

You were in AA? The Catgirl Island person there is one of my closest friends.

XI was on an HDTV and lagged horribly.

I've often heard that WEDOCA isn't big on KoF in general, so I always cherished whenever I see one of the games there... My worse encounter with screen lag was probably KoF MIRA years back... everything felt so off, I wondered if MIRA was really suppose to be THAT different from MI2...

Catgirl Island you say? Bah, wish I went around and picked up business cards. It's normally a habit of mine, but I didn't even walk the whole alley once... just like... 3 tables. The Steampunk designers, a table full of Shirts (who had one they sold for a buck), and that's mostly it. Rest was "MUST GET SALES!" mentality... bah.

If you ever saw anyone with spritework hung around their necks, or a pixel-art Master Chief / Demoman, then that was all me! :lol Bead-based Sprite art was a big hit, to the point where I still have stuff to finish now. Only like... 2 people seemed to recognize my Clark of KoF XII megaman-style sprite, wish I had more SNK relevant stuff prepared.

My little brother helped me realize they had a Samsho 2 tournament... I just got to mess with the machine from time to time. Had a few rounds of fun with Caffine and Seiger, whom I felt way too out of practice with. I never get to see any of the tournies they have... though I was in the room during the SSFIV one. XIII had me really not caring for SuperIV right now... that plus weeks of con prep keeping me from really hanging out on Live much.

I always wonder "I wonder if anyone I know / of Note is here that I don't know about..." so, cool to have the curiosity answered to some degree. I never keep in contact with the gamers I meet, though I recognize some of the same faces year-to-year...

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled lack of new info and vids, unfortunately in progress! (-_-) )

Frankfurt

Banned
A nice fake:

Still like this look better than the following two. I would've taken a color that went for this (with headband), even with long sleeves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
A nice fake:

Still like this look better than the following two. I would've taken a color that went for this (with headband), even with long sleeves.

That is a pretty nice fake. I think I personally like 99 era Kyo's look most, anywho. Having such an important character be basically a plain schoolboy... I'd prefer just to have Shingo rep'n the look with old Kyo colors as a scheme. The student look gives a nice little play on theme for Shingo (The eternal student!), but for Kyo, it just makes him look too stupid to get outta school... :lol

And Tears is just such a cool theme! Whenever a match would start, and he'd take off his headband, only to burn it in his hands... it felt all impactful and important.

...99 definitely is one of my fav soundtracks of the series, I have to say. Tears, KD-0079, and Psycho Sonic Trip just seemed so fresh at the time. Especially the arranged versions for Dreamcast.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
KOF98UM and 2002UM have some great versions too, specially Orochi Team songs, they are just awesome.

But yeah, KOF99 Kyo song is great, sounds sad in many ways. The only thing I love the most about KOF99 was the stages, specially the Dreamcast ver, they were awesome. Best 3D Backgrounds SNK has done.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I loved how Krizalid's stage would always decide to let that big burst go in the background whenever something EPIC happened during the battle... Or Maxima would let a puff of steam off, and so would the BG... and I was always impressed by the odd fact that they made me enjoy fighting in a museum-style area. Airport stage always seemed like SNK's cooler version of Guile's SFII stage...

Ahhh, the game that solidified my love for, and my friends hate for, Whip.

Still played 98 more, even all the way back then, but 99 was great to feel the differences with.

I remember being pretty into Xiang Fei, too... even if I hadn't played Real Bout at the time...

...and now, I think it's time to go listen to "Tears" again... (Women's Team theme is also pretty nice!)

Fersis

When i code at work i listen to KOF96,97,98,99,XI,02UM soundtrack.

Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan rocks!!!!

hteng

Banned
hmm about terry, i really wished SNK went with his Garou outfit, it was in XI, it's kinda stepping backwards when he went back to the old outfit in XIII.

he looks more manly with the bomber jacket and short hair. The red outfit hasn't age well to be honest

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The FF Team story says he picked up his old outfit, in order to Commemorate his reunion with his old team/best friends, sooo...

I personally like the exposed arms of the FF design. He looks more powerful and iconic in it. Not to mention that I like the way his hat shades his eyes. And then the HAT in general... I still wanna see KO'd Terry lose it again. I like the focus on classic Fatal Fury moves in this design too, with the inclusion of BUSTA WULF.

The MoTW design, as much as I like it, really just makes him feel older (which is cool in itself) and somewhat more mellow. I only really prefer it when Rock is around, because them it says "This is the new, more mature, Terrence Bogard!" I'd also expect him to have a more updated moveset in this outfit... Power Stream, Power Charge, MOTW style breaking, like Andy...

Whenever we get MoTW Terry back, I hope he brings "Merories of Stray Wolves" style Mary with him...

ANYWAY, blog has officially been updated, and character page now has Ikari Team Story.

Choppasmith said:
Man, looking at that training vid, that Elephant Stage looks incredible!

You also can see Chang in the background, patting his massive gut. I really like the look of the stage too... the Yellow hue is so unique, and even if those elephants are potentially 3D... they don't clash with the rest at all, which is highly suprising.

Frankfurt

Banned
The only stage that isn't doing it for me this time is the stadium. The XII stadium was a lot cooler, IMO. But that' just a nitpick. Would be nice if the XII stages were unlockable, but that's never going to happen.

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
And Tears is just such a cool theme! Whenever a match would start, and he'd take off his headband, only to burn it in his hands... it felt all impactful and important.

Yes, Tears ftw, my favorite KOF theme ever. This is a pretty a badass cover of it. XIII seems to have a really nice, quality soundtrack though, better than anything in 10 years.

The scenery in a lot of the backgrounds seems really empty, like that shrine backdrop in the "challenge mode" video. Wish they had incorporated 3D elements into all of them like the elephants one.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
The only stage that isn't doing it for me this time is the stadium. The XII stadium was a lot cooler, IMO. But that' just a nitpick. Would be nice if the XII stages were unlockable, but that's never going to happen.

Really like the golden hue of the Stadium; it seems like the big place to hold the tournament finals. That being said, though, I do hope it gets more. Preferably a mid-stage transformation of some sort, probably for the final boss battle. Wouldn't it be cool if it was all built over the battlegrounds of Orochi, from KoF 97? To watch the center flowbed explode in a wash of power, causing blue rose pettles to ruin the ravaged remains of the battlefield...

It's also the only stage without some kinda obvious cameo/stage mutation so far, so I think it'd destined for great things...

On to other stages, every time I saw the Russia stage in XII, it made me think about how it'd be a nice stage for Kula to hang out in... Would love for it to make some form of redesigned return, but no problem if it doesn't.

jett said:
Yes, Tears ftw, my favorite KOF theme ever. This is a pretty a badass cover of it. XIII seems to have a really nice, quality soundtrack though, better than anything in 10 years.

The scenery in a lot of the backgrounds seems really empty, like that shrine backdrop in the "challenge mode" video. Wish they had incorporated 3D elements into all of them like the elephants one.

You're right, that's a much better cover than I expected! Very cool, thanks for the link.

The Shrine isn't empty at all BTW, it has 3 stages it moves through through the rounds: All peeople in background calm, green flames; people in background start to move, still green flames (I think) and then Everyone moving like crazy, red flames that effect everyone in front, but which fall off at distance, leaving the further back people to be lit in green rather than red. The chanter have also, due to the more intense flames, started to cast their shadows on the tomb walls.

I'd imagine we MIGHT see a 3D element in the final boss stage to be revealed, but I'm glad they seem to be using it sparingly (The Tengu and Dragon mask in Japan look heavely 3D-inspired though.)

Top Bottom