• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like that, in this case, "Ultra" and "supers" are tied to the same basic meter. (Of course you need HD too.) Feels like you'll have to sacrifice using a lot of your options, in order to do the MOST damage in a combo. DM combos seem strong across the board, but EX's seem so worthwhile, that I could actually see people choosing NOT to use those easy to land DMs, because they're saving up their strength for later matches.

HD meter and EX's will also probably make it really easy to get guard crushed once people learn how to work the systems. This will probably force a lot of CD blowbacks, which will also be sucking away at meters.

Wonder how often we'll see these stronger combos in higher level play, in the end? Constantly sacrificing ones own HD guage to force opponents into wasting their DM gauges, using EXs to try to find or make openings... Neomax's will probably rule when destroying scrubs, though...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
I like that, in this case, "Ultra" and "supers" are tied to the same basic meter. (Of course you need HD too.) Feels like you'll have to sacrifice using a lot of your options, in order to do the MOST damage in a combo. DM combos seem strong across the board, but EX's seem so worthwhile, that I could actually see people choosing NOT to use those easy to land DMs, because they're saving up their strength for later matches.

HD meter and EX's will also probably make it really easy to get guard crushed once people learn how to work the systems. This will probably force a lot of CD blowbacks, which will also be sucking away at meters.

Wonder how often we'll see these stronger combos in higher level play, in the end? Constantly sacrificing ones own HD guage to force opponents into wasting their DM gauges, using EXs to try to find or make openings... Neomax's will probably rule when destroying scrubs, though...

I can see all that- which could turn the game into meter management. If that's the case- I can see AOF chars doing real well (then again, that might be why they toned down hits on King's Trap Shot). It's KOF, you'll see those combos- most KOF players tend to really go for the combos over any sort of defense. My worry is that someone will have a really good poke, that just happens to have easy HD cancel into big damage- that will make someone top tier fast.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like how KOF XIII is better than your favorite game.

I cant believe how good its shaping up.

DONT THINK FEEEEEEEL !
These technical reference guides are the best thing ever.
I WUV U SNKP!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
I can see all that- which could turn the game into meter management. If that's the case- I can see AOF chars doing real well (then again, that might be why they toned down hits on King's Trap Shot). It's KOF, you'll see those combos- most KOF players tend to really go for the combos over any sort of defense. My worry is that someone will have a really good poke, that just happens to have easy HD cancel into big damage- that will make someone top tier fast.

The way SNKP seems to be going, if that one poke is found... it'll probably be found on 9 characters at the same time. But yeah, the open-ness of it all does make it easy to worry. Wonder how much we'll have to worry about Duo... I'd laugh if Hwa Jai grasped upper tier status...

Fersis said:
I like how KOF XIII is better than your favorite game.

I cant believe how good its shaping up.

DONT THINK FEEEEEEEL !
These technical reference guides are the best thing ever.
I WUV U SNKP!!

Haha, the more I see of this game and think of the meter management, the more I think the "FEEEEEEL!" Part is their way of saying "Stop micromanaging you meter and sticking to pre-made combos? Do you FEEL you can juggle there? THEN GO FOR IT! Everything is possible, as long as you can see the opening!"

I mean, of course it's a Bruce Lee quote, but it does seem to fit well thematically.

---

Hmmm, of tomorrows cast, I'm looking forward to Benimaru the most. Looking forward to auto-tracking lightning, and to see if BEN'MARU COR'DOR! can really scrape OTG opponents...

TreIII

SAB CA said:
Hmmm, of tomorrows cast, I'm looking forward to Benimaru the most. Looking forward to auto-tracking lightning, and to see if BEN'MARU COR'DOR! can really scrape OTG opponents...

Same here. But then again, Polnareff err....Benimaru has always been one of my fave KOF-originating characters.

I think my first team may end up being Beni, Joe and Hwa Jai. Go for a "Muay Thai/Shooting" themed team this time around. :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
TreIII said:
Same here. But then again, Polnareff err....Benimaru has always been one of my fave KOF-originating characters.

I think my first team may end up being Beni, Joe and Hwa Jai. Go for a "Muay Thai/Shooting" themed team this time around. :D

And Beni and Joe even get to claim the same haircut! XD Hwa Jai is too heavy a drinker to keep hair, though...

That's a pretty interesting team, though. Shirtless Beni color will fit right into the group!

-----

You know, I'm watching BB Continum Shift vids, trying to get hype for THAT game... and after watching REAL FREAKIN DAMAGE occur from quick combos in XIII, watching 25 hit combos that take 14 seconds to complete, barely do any real damage... is really, REALLY stupid looking. And to think of all the work a player has to go through for crazy Litchi combos... Is this REALLY what gamers find satisfying now-a-days? XD

Shen Woo laughs in the face of all BB characters... he can do SO MUCH DAMAGE by just screaming and pumping his fist into the air! :lol

Everyone looks so strong in XIII, I really hope this makes it so that people pick some very original, suprising teams! Noone will expect my Chin/Maxima/Leona team, or my Clark/Vice/Takuma team! :lol (Man there are too many characters I wanna play in this game...) Or maybe Chin/Hwa Jai/King for the Alcoholics + Bartender (AA failure) team...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The thing is those ultra-long BB combos are probably easier then SF4 combos. Besides, if you want quick damage in BB, there's always the big guys.

Really though, many fighting gamers these days only care about combos and lolis.

SAB CA said:
Everyone looks so strong in XIII, I really hope this makes it so that people pick some very original, suprising teams! Noone will expect my Chin/Maxima/Leona team, or my Clark/Vice/Takuma team! :lol (Man there are too many characters I wanna play in this game...) Or maybe Chin/Hwa Jai/King for the Alcoholics + Bartender (AA failure) team...

Yep at first i knew what team i wanted to play now after seeing videos i already have 4 or 5 teams in my head ,even my all female team i not certain who to go with.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Combos and Loli's! Why, we have crazy combos, and Kula! And she even has a facination with Loli(pop)s! Yeah, yeah, I think this'll work out VERY nicely... :lol

Oh, I know there are heavy hitters in BB... I've been demolished by good Tagers "back in the day" (even tried doing it myself!), I just find it funny, that anyone would like to do combos THAT long for such little reward. Style wise, it makes your character look weak and insignificant, if that's ALL they do with SO many blows.

I remember playing Taokaka, and having this nice aerial combo that began with crouching weak into her f+A uppercut... it was prorated to do almost NOTHING when she finally was coming down with her nice little "Slashy SLASHY!"... and it felt so... stupid. I know she had much better Aerial combos using her drive properly, but for some reason, I never fell into those... my hands always wanted to do the jab-born strings XD

(Which sounds good for me now, since Bang's jabs are apparently USEFUL now. They felt so SLOW in CT... I often hated how my NINJA could be outjabbed by Iron POWEROFMAGNETISM Tager...)

But it's all making me appreciate KoF's pacing more and more. The slow descents after getting smashed into the air off certain moves, the time given to big impacts (which I've always loved in SNK games)... They seemed to have slowed down some things in this TR vid compared to before, and I find myself really liking that. The game does look stupid-fast at times (Kula B attack rushes look blazing) but then you see something like Elisabeth's command throw, and elegant floats are re-introduced.

Oh, and I find it a nice little detail, that when characters land from BIG AIR hits, they make a groaning sounds, as they fall on thair faces. :D

gundamkyoukai said:
Yep at first i knew what team i wanted to play now after seeing videos i already have 4 or 5 teams in my head ,even my all female team i not certain who to go with.

It's a great, yet, very confusing feeling! I keep seeing the BB camp being so proud of how DEEP their single characters are... but I love the depth of KoF. It's enough to make characters very unique, but at the same time there's plenty of uniform systems (rolls, hops, emergency evasion) to make playing a large amount of characters not seem like chasing too many different goals / styles at once.

SephirothRK said:
so they're going to have technical videos for every character?

Yes, exactly. For those just tuning in:

Video Release schedule:

6/25 - Ash Crimson Technical Reference
6/28 - Elisabeth Team Technical Reference
6/29 - Japan Team Technical Reference
6/30 - Fatal Fury Team Technical Reference
7/01 - Psycho Soldier Team Technical Reference
7/02 - Ikari Team Technical Reference
7/05 - Women Fighters Team Technical Reference
7/05 - KOF XIII Special Episode 1
7/06 - Yagami Team Technical Reference
7/06 - KOF XIII Special Episode 2
7/07 - Art of Fighting Team Technical Reference
7/07 - KOF XIII Special Episode 3
7/08 - Kim Team Technical Reference
7/08 - KOF XIII Special Episode 4
7/09 - K' Team Technical Reference
7/09 - KOF XIII Special Episode 5

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Fuck SNKP! :mad:

Making me wait until July 9 to see K and Kula NeoMAXES in HD! DAMN YOU SNKP!!!!!!!!!

LoL, but you've known this for like a week! (Well, ok, 4 days or something...) Just look at it this way... it's better than waiting till release day!

.... Or eventual console release! (o_O )

(And I wanna see Maxima's just as much as theirs!)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
LoL, but you've known this for like a week! (Well, ok, 4 days or something...) Just look at it this way... it's better than waiting till release day!

.... Or eventual console release! (o_O )

(And I wanna see Maxima's just as much as theirs!)

But I DON'T WANT TO WAIT!! Fucking SNKP... >:V

Anyways, SNKP has yet to FIX their US Stage background in the site. :lol

USAStageerror.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If they were really concerned about site details, they'd fix Maxima's sprite, and show that Kula has finger twitch animation in her stance, not just the flowing hair (You can see it in a vid.) but haven't changed those either!

Still wondering about Kyo's hyper-fast stance too....

And... an hour till Team Japan Vid!

GrayFoxPL

TreIII said:

Yeah I loved Beni from the get go. I still wanted his Lightning Fist to go back to kof 94, kof 95 srk motion. There was something much more satisfing in doing straight punch with srk motion.

My team is close to yours. Beni, Hwa Jai and one undecided. Probably most. There are too many awesome characters to choose. I want to use Robert, because they tonned him down. He was way too safe in 12. Felt dirty.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gunloc said:
I see Hinako in the background. Is this new or was she already a known cameo?
It's know, I even posted a pic of it way back in this very thread ^_^ What is KINDA new is that apparently someone who looks like Last Blades Akari can also be seen in the back of the stage. But she's so small, it's hard to tell.

Also, in today's vid, when Benimaru is doing his corner combos... you can very easily see Vanessa playing cards with Seth and Ramon.
Happy Phantom said:
is iori's fireball back?
Story wise, Iori has no flame powers right now. So NO, no fireball for Iori... no fire anything.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Don't worry about Iori's flames. He doesn't need them! :D Might be a "hidden character" anyway, we'll see.

Anywho, Kyo... yeah, whatever, ask someone else about THAT guy! Heh heh.

Benimaru:
So, "On the ground" technically meant that now, after the EX BENIMARU CORRIDOR!, you opponent crumples, and can be hit.

His auto-tracking lighting has decent startup, but is still going to be fun to hit fireballers with.

They didn't how his NM being controllable, but that's ok, the combo was nice and effective.

I like his lighting flipkick being drive canceled into aerial Raiohken.

Goro:
Ooo, OTG in corner after his dp+K throw. I like!

Comboing after EX hcb,f+p throw is great, looks enjoyable.

So THAT'S how you'll combo into his Neomax! Seems brutal, but very fitting. His max looks a lot better now, than when it was shown at the Lokes.

So his anti-air throw can be beat if an opponent hits him too deep, yet the EX version has some invincibility or something?

So even Goro's DM throw can't grab from so far away now. but EX has NICE extra reach, to grab from the farthest reach of these particular pokes. Works out nicely. Hope Clark is similiar in this respect!

GrayFoxPL

I can't believe I realised it just now: 1 EX move = 1 DM bar.

Don't know why but earlier I thought they use hd bar. :lol

That's a fucking big cost. Good.

Everything seems ballanced so far. Those huge damage combos with nm look great, but you need 4-5 bars and shit, so I don't think those will be common.

I was afraid that EX moves will be overused but with that cost I think I'll be saving the bars for ex dm!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:
The thing is those ultra-long BB combos are probably easier then SF4 combos. Besides, if you want quick damage in BB, there's always the big guys.

Really though, many fighting gamers these days only care about combos and lolis.
Well imagine KOFXIII 3 Vs 3 fight with BB damage scale... every fight would last minutes! :lol

I really like the 'physics polish' they gave after the loketests, everything is smoother now.
In fact it looks and moves like i wanted to. @__________@
Oh and they keep polishing the NeoMaxes awsum.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Well imagine KOFXIII 3 Vs 3 fight with BB damage scale... every fight would last minutes! :lol

I really like the 'physics polish' they gave after the loketests, everything is smoother now.
In fact it looks and moves like i wanted to. @__________@
Oh and they keep polishing the NeoMaxes awsum.

Now if Terry just puts an "Are you O-K?!?" in front of that BustahWULF tomorrow, everything will exceed "perfection", lol.

Smoothness is awesome, very SNK of this company with an extra P on the end... XD

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
YouTube - The King of Fighters XIII (Famitsu Vid) gameplay video
YouTube - The King of Fighters XIII (Famitsu Vid) gameplay video 2

Ignore the title of the vids; this is just footage from Famitsu of the Arcade Version.

Button layout option, Yuri's "Demon Flip" EX, and new "WINNER!" music lie within! And some K' gameplay that'll make you cry a bit inside.

Now lets all join DarK in being pissed that people who have a full working version of the game THIS early didn't frickin try out any unseen Neomax's! :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
RoryDropkick said:
IS it too much for me to ask for an alternate Kula with cat ears? Maybe so.

Quite possibly, yes! :D Unless some random SNKP intern is checking random english forums, looking for DLC ideas...

I'd imagine polar bear ears or something first, anywho! Or some kinda Arctic animal...

Could Robert and Ryo get Tiger and Dragon gear while we're at it, too? :lol

Normally my thoughts on such accessories would be "It's a 2D game, not gonna happen!" but... CAMO PANTS RALF changes everything! :D

Frankfurt

Banned
RoryDropkick said:
IS it too much for me to ask for an alternate Kula with cat ears? Maybe so.

K' has a color with short hair, so anything's possible.

EDIT: Anyone remember the name of the video where you could see them scroll through K's colors? I remember watching it frame by frame 100 times to make sure i wasn't going crazy... There was a vid for the K' Team select screen, but that one was blurry...

GhaleonQ

So, um, I think this game looks pretty good.

Seriously, that video series is getting me excited. Good or bad, they're doing a much better job explaining the game to buyers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GhaleonQ said:
So, um, I think this game looks pretty good.

Seriously, that video series is getting me excited. Good or bad, they're doing a much better job explaining the game to buyers.

Agreed. I'm still kinda in shock over them doing such an elaborate vid series daily, and for "free". Really hope a DVD of these make it into the console release, of that the vids just make it onto the disk, as an extra bonus to the usual training modes. Even making them free / 1 buck downloads on consoles once the release is confirmed, it's still an awesome thing to see directly from the company.

The fact that it's SO much to see over a course of 2 weeks... something like around 2 hours of KoF XIII gameplay explanations... it's just fantastic.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
Now lets all join DarK in being pissed that people who have a full working version of the game THIS early didn't frickin try out any unseen Neomax's! :lol

FUCKING SNKP!!! >:8

RAGE I tell you! RAGE!!!

lol

-PXG-

-DarKaoZ- said:
None atm, arcade release is due on July 14 so far, consoles ver hasn't been announced at all.

Damn. I might pickup KOFXII again. That game was a lot of fun and just looked so great. It was just lacking in features and had a broken online. I'm sure XIII will be a massive improvement.

Shadow780 said:
well from the vids I believe you need at least 4 bars to Max Cancel, that shouldn't come too often.

Not only that you have 3 people to fight in all , i expect a super that takes 3 bars to take off life.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GAF ate my reply. Bah.

You give up a lot to do a max cancel. Think about how many options you could have with all the HD and DM meter your sacrificing to do it. I think the damage tradeoff is more than fair!

Anywho 1 hour and 10 minutes till The Legendary Wolf himself takes centers stage! GAROU DENSETSU! Are You O-KAY?

100520_01.jpg

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
GAF ate my reply. Bah.

You give up a lot to do a max cancel. Think about how many options you could have with all the HD and DM meter your sacrificing to do it. I think the damage tradeoff is more than fair!

Anywho 1 hour and 10 minutes till The Legendary Wolf himself takes centers stage! GAROU DENSETSU! Are You O-KAY?

100520_01.jpg

Yeah, seems balanced.

Btw. Was it known that the first character only has max 3 bars? Noticed it in the famitsu vid.

Means he can't dm cancel into neomax.

About Terry's Busta Wolf:
Man, I'd pay SNKP billions to have this situation played out in KOFXIII.

Arcade mode run with Terry.
"Here comes a new challenger!"

Fucking Geese Howard appers.

Battle rages. Player executes Busta Wolf.

Terry:
"Are you OK? B.."
(Suddenly Dm animation stops, music stops)

Geese:
No, I'm not! I'm dead.

Terry:

Geese:

Ackward silence.
:lol

Top Bottom