• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
:lol Yeah, I've always wanted someone to answer Terry. It really WOULD be awkward, seeing him trip in mid move, not really expecting it.

Of course, Geese would have to say "NA-O! Yew Stain'd yow house, with mai Braoud!" As only he could. :D

Anyway, yeah, we've known that you gain a bar per character defeat (start at 3, then 4, then 5) since the beginning, I think. Back then, I think you also gained HD meter, but that's been balanced out. HD bar is the same through all matches now, you just have to fill the blasted thing!

The Hungry Wolves didn't dissapoint! I get the feeling they'll be able to make openings galore for their Neomax and EXDMs... lots of generous floats off EXs.

Rising Tackle looks fantastic, too, BTW. EX has massive vaccum ability, too, which feels so FF2 like, makes me wanna make a spot for Terry on each team I make... Burn Knuckle -> DC'd Rising Tackle = Greater than Powah Dunk! (And also very Rock Howard like...)

Ooo, we should have normal Blog update as well tomorrow, so we'll get to see some AoF team discussion along with our Tech References!

Yeah we knew you get 1 extra super per chars.
Before also your HD meter used get longer per char and could done up to 4 cancel moves.
Thinks it works out okay this way .

Also the whole fatal fury team looks awesome .
Going to play allot of andy. Man i so hype for this KOF , every other fighting game just to kill time until this comes out.

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
:lol Yeah, I've always wanted someone to answer Terry. It really WOULD be awkward, seeing him trip in mid move, not really expecting it.

Of course, Geese would have to say "NA-O! Yew Stain'd yow house, with mai Braoud!" As only he could. :D

Anyway, yeah, we've known that you gain a bar per character defeat (start at 3, then 4, then 5) since the beginning, I think. Back then, I think you also gained HD meter, but that's been balanced out. HD bar is the same through all matches now, you just have to fill the blasted thing!

The Hungry Wolves didn't dissapoint! I get the feeling they'll be able to make openings galore for their Neomax and EXDMs... lots of generous floats off EXs.

Rising Tackle looks fantastic, too, BTW. EX has massive vaccum ability, too, which feels so FF2 like, makes me wanna make a spot for Terry on each team I make... Burn Knuckle -> DC'd Rising Tackle = Greater than Powah Dunk! (And also very Rock Howard like...)

Ooo, we should have normal Blog update as well tomorrow, so we'll get to see some AoF team discussion along with our Tech References!

Hahahah.

I love Geesengrish!

TV commercials with his voice would be automaticly awesome!

"Yew stain yow house with yow broud?"

"PREDICTABO!!!"

"Use our Double Tampoo!"

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
KOFXIII on EVO 2011 make it happen people!!

In the USA stage you can see P-Chan! (Duck Kings pet)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GrayFoxPL said:
Hahahah.

I love Geesengrish!

TV commercials with his voice would be automaticly awesome!

"Yew stain yow house with yow broud?"

"PREDICTABO!!!"

"Use our Double Tampoo!"

That TOTALLY explains how he built his criminal empire! Every marketing Firm in Southtown must have used his voice... Mr. Big probably used him to get his ho's too, and... yeah, totally believeable.

Fersis said:
KOFXIII on EVO 2011 make it happen people!!

In the USA stage you can see P-Chan! (Duck Kings pet)

There is also a blimp in the background advertising Mr. Big... that's legal? XD

You can also see Ryuhaku Todoh at the VERY far left end of the SUMO! stage. P-Chan's are cute, too, I kept looking to see if Duck himself was hanging around.

Also, in the Famitsu vids, you can notice Fio hanging out on top of the right most snake statue in the temple stage, I think it's when the worshippers are in full swing (red fires)... guess she got lost in Egypt...

LowParry

These Max Cancels or whatever they're called seem like a waste of resource for a character. Though the damage it outputs, it's almost as bad as GG's one hit wins. But it all looks like sex. Need some Kim love though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Was it in this thread that someone was asking about KOF 2002 UM Tougeki Version?

I just got it today for the PS2. They didn't use the arcade backgrounds, so as far as I can tell, it's the arcade version's rebalancing and nothing else. The bosses aren't showing up on the select screen, but they (and the EX characters) are shown on the back of the box. Can't remember if they had to be unlocked in the regular 2002 UM.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lyte Edge said:
Was it in this thread that someone was asking about KOF 2002 UM Tougeki Version?

I just got it today for the PS2. They didn't use the arcade backgrounds, so as far as I can tell, it's the arcade version's rebalancing and nothing else. The bosses aren't showing up on the select screen, but they (and the EX characters) are shown on the back of the box. Can't remember if they had to be unlocked in the regular 2002 UM.
Yup they had to be unlocked trough challenges or/and playing the arcade mode.
Do you know what balances changes has?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
panda21 said:
fuck this is incredible!!!!!

SNK <3 <3 <3 <3 :D

give us Robert Garcia videos already

Not a Tech Ref, but the Blog Update for Tomorrow IS for the AoF team. So we'll be getting some Robert/Ryo/TAKUMA love tomorrow ^_^

Ccrook: I'm beginning to think of them as the ultimate violent Taunt. "I'm so confident I'll win, I'm giving up all my meters just to do THIS!" Especially since winning with some of them results in special win poses.

It is pretty comparable to GG's "DESTROY!" at this point, eh... though I guess it's something more like an Astral Finish, too... but their motions look more like they actually WANT you to use them, and that alone makes me feel more like I'll actually wanna use them...

Lyte Edge

Fersis said:
Yup they had to be unlocked trough challenges or/and playing the arcade mode.
Do you know what balances changes has?

No, I don't. Haven't paid much attention since I had no one to play the game with. I got the Tougeki version to start practicing up for the XBLA release.

Aren't the bosses unavailable in the arcade version?

MoxManiac

Lyte Edge said:
No, I don't. Haven't paid much attention since I had no one to play the game with. I got the Tougeki version to start practicing up for the XBLA release.

When -is- the XBLA release coming?

TreIII

SAB CA said:
Ccrook: I'm beginning to think of them as the ultimate violent Taunt. "I'm so confident I'll win, I'm giving up all my meters just to do THIS!" Especially since winning with some of them results in special win poses.

It is pretty comparable to GG's "DESTROY!" at this point, eh... though I guess it's something more like an Astral Finish, too... but their motions look more like they actually WANT you to use them, and that alone makes me feel more like I'll actually wanna use them...

To say the least, I STILL like the way SNK is doing these types of things, as opposed to the purely circumstance-based Astrals in BB and Capcom's ULTRA/X-Factor way of doing things where it's practically a gift.

The more I see, the more I'm in love. This game is tied with Gundam Extreme Vs. as far as "Arcade game that I NEED in my life ASAP 2011". :lol

Fersis

Lyte Edge said:

They're unavailable.
So the Tougeki Version is exactly like the arcade version?
Thats nice.

Lyte Edge

Fersis said:
They're unavailable.
So the Tougeki Version is exactly like the arcade version?
Thats nice.

Right...it's like the arcade version...

...except with the bosses being unlockable and 3D backgrounds. So it's the PS2 version, but rebalanced.

Lyte Edge

MoxManiac said:
When -is- the XBLA release coming?

Soon, I hope. :(

TreIII said:
To say the least, I STILL like the way SNK is doing these types of things, as opposed to the purely circumstance-based Astrals in BB and Capcom's ULTRA/X-Factor way of doing things where it's practically a gift.

The more I see, the more I'm in love. This game is tied with Gundam Extreme Vs. as far as "Arcade game that I NEED in my life ASAP 2011". :lol

I've been trying not to think about the game until a home version gets announced. KOF XII: Completed Edition is looking so good and is the game we should have gotten last year, as expected.

TreIII

Lyte Edge said:
I've been trying not to think about the game until a home version gets announced. KOF XII: Completed Edition is looking so good and is the game we should have gotten last year, as expected.

True, yes. But in the end, I do want SNK to make money. So let 'em have a nice arcade run, and then we can start this KOF cycle all over again.

Just gimme dat good Netcode, SNK. Then me and my pal can be doing it big with "dekino"! :D

Fersis

TreIII said:
True, yes. But in the end, I do want SNK to make money. So let 'em have a nice arcade run, and then we can start this KOF cycle all over again.

Just gimme dat good Netcode, SNK. Then me and my pal can be doing it big with "dekino"! :D
:lol

Good memories...

MMCafe Professor said:
Taunts are confirmed by the Arcadia magazine, and it points out that Yuri has three minor variations.

A guidebook is coming out in August.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Yeah I want the netcode also. I'm going to have to prove I still got it.

I think the point of those Neomaxs is to end Round 5's early. Usually round 5's in traditional KOF tend to be very cautious- so you may need that one massive burst of damage.

(Some of that may be my playstyle, which was pretty cautious)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:

Yeah, I figured that was the one you were talking about. I have a habit of not trusting anything that could have black as as outline color in such vids (as the points could dissapear into the background), but the shading is a good point. Makes it look like Kyo's hair.

Team Psycho soldier today! LETS SEE CHIN'S DRUNK'NESS IN ACTION! Also BLOG UPDATE vids for Team RANBU... err.. AoF.

Maybe they'll give us some hints as to what next weeks special vids are, as well.

I find it funny that people are popping up on Cyberfanatix and Youtube who don't like the music now... the entire time of watching the FF Tech Refs, I wanted them all to walk with that "I'm better than you, and you know it!" swagger that Takuma has in his forward walk animation... I always thought boisterous tunes fit the team very well. It's not like they're all gonna run out and proclaim how special they are (Like Kyo would, heh), but it's as if the music hints that, deep down, they know they're in a league all their own... (Screw letter Tiers, Bogard/YOSHAAA! tier is above S!)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Choppasmith said:

This damn early!? WOW.... I was expecting them like... at 2 am or so. :lol

EDIT: WTF?! They made Takuma NeoMAX less awesome! It was more Awesome when he did it all fucking fast, like you didn't even saw when he lifted your character. Bah!

Ryo one looks better, but too much closeup IMO.

Robert... it looks great... but way to much closeup SNKP!!! STOP WITH THE CLOSEUPS!! It only works with SOME characters not ALL of them!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
This damn early!? WOW.... I was expecting them like... at 2 am or so. :lol

EDIT: WTF?! They made Takuma NeoMAX less awesome! It was more Awesome when he did it all fucking fast, like you didn't even saw when he lifted your character. Bah!

Ryo one looks better, but too much closeup IMO.

Robert... it looks great... but way to much closeup SNKP!!! STOP WITH THE CLOSEUPS!! It only works with SOME characters not ALL of them!

Eh, can't really agree with ya on the closeup thing, lol. At first, in the early days, I would have. But now, it's just this games style. The variety of HOW they close up (Shocking fast with Ryo's EX Ranbu Impacts (2nd only to Clark!), on the biggest impacts of Takuma's, and slowly, gradually as Robert slides you into a corner) keep it from feeling like an overused gimmick, and more like reactive camerawork.

I like Takuma's more now, too. I didn't like the lack of impact originally, it seemed to be missing something, and felt kinda cheap to me. (Hence, why I was never as excited about it as the others, though I DID like it.) Now it looks more like he gathers strength to take you that high, which makes more sense in a "cause/effect" type of way.

Very suprised to see these so early, as you said. Love hearing AoF team's hollow clash sound, so traditional! Takuma's combos look very interesting and technical, and yet not stupid overdamaging. His neomax was nicely scaled down, too. Still worth it, not an instant kill. Robert is too pimp.

Looking forward to blog post translation!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Translation by SonicTempest!

TAKUMA
- Unlike Ryo and Robert, he has rather short range on his normals, but a great fireball and a dashing move (Hien Shippuu Kyaku charge db fwd .K ) that has very little lag, making him a great rushdown character.
- EX Zanretsuken ( fwd bk fwd .A .C ) is an anywhere-juggle move that is great for ending combos. It's relatively easy to combo into since it has fast startup. You can also drive cancel out of it if you have the gauge, making it really good for combos.
- EX Ko'ouken ( qcf .A .C ) makes the projectile appear near the opponent after Takuma releases it, instead of travelling normally. Useful as a surprise move or to follow up on an escaping opponent.
- EX Haohshikouken ( fwd HCF .A .C ) fires off three projectiles, just like the SDM of old.
- Takuma's Neomax (Built Upper, qcf qcf .A .C ) has short range but it has a lot of invincibility and is very fast on startup, making it great for anti-air or for interrupting the opponent's attacks. Even if the upward attack misses, the falling punch can still hit the opponent.
- Story-wise, Takuma became unable to do the Built Upper in AOF2 because of the scar on his chest, but this time in KOF Yamaguchi justified adding this move by saying that Takuma forced himself to do it in order to teach it to Ryo, or something, lol.
- They tried really hard to make each of the Kyokugenryuu characters unique. Takuma in particular was a problem because glaring weaknesses kept showing up during testing. They had some spare time back in February, so they went back to each of the characters to try and make them more interesting to play - it was a result of this that Takuma got his new throw move Kyokugen Houken ( HCB .K ).

RYO
- His Kohou ( DP .P ) makes him a character with a very solid defense, once again. In addition, unlike Takuma and Robert, his single hits tend to be much more powerful.
- EX Zanretsuken ( fwd bk fwd .A .C ) has a different animation than the regular version.
- EX Ko'ouken ( qcf .A .C ) has less lag than the regular version and allows for followup attacks.
- EX Ryuuko Ranbu ( QCFHCB .A .C ) ends with a Haoh Shou Kou Ken instead of a Kohou like it used to. This was a last-minute adjustment before the second location test, and resulting in Ryo's EX DM being the most used during that particular location test (lol).
- Ryo's NeoMAX is (of course) Ichigeki Hissatsu ( qcf qcf .A .C ). Apparently it was a move that caused the graphic designers a lot of trouble because of how detailed the animation is, with all the trailing aftereffects and such. There's even apparently a dust cloud animation that only gets played if the move whiffs.

ROBERT
- Robert is a character with lots of options (fireballs, anti-air, throws, dashing attacks in both mid-air and on the ground) - he's a character that can pretty much do anything.
- EX Ryuugekiken ( qcf .A .C ) fires off two fireballs.
- EX Ryuuga ( DP .A .C ) hits directly above Robert.
- EX Hien Shippuu Kyaku (charge db fwd .B .D ) doesn't cause Robert to bounce backwards, allowing for followup attacks.
- EX Gen'ei Kyaku ( fwd bk fwd .B .D ) allows for followup attacks.
- EX Ryuuko Ranbu ( QCFHCB .A .C ) consists mostly of kicks unlike Ryo's version of the move, and apparently ends similarly to his KOF2003 LDM.
- His NeoMAX (Hien Shippuu Ryuujin Kyaku, QCFHCB .B .D ) is a powered up version of his Hien Ryuujin Kyaku ( QCB .K in mid-air), and can be done on both the ground and in mid-air. He's completely invincible while diving, making it a good move to defeat anti-air attempts or even break attack strings.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So it seems reasonable to believe that Takuma's Neomax still has the old "Grab'n you out the sky" catch like in older lokes, but has a REAL solid punch when combo'd into/landed on the ground. Sounds like a best of both worlds situation. Love that "CHESTOOOOOU!" he gives at the end, that Echo!

His multi-hit strike is an anywhere juggle, eh? That sounds fun. Takuma really sounds like he's meant to dazzle with lots of strikes that mix solid power and crazy juggle potential. I thought his EX Haoshokoken was just suppose to be a multihit variation, but they say they actually made it the 3 shot Hao? Wow.

Robert tosses 2 fireballs for EX? Hmmm, haven't seen that yet. A more kick-focused EXDM, eh? Can deal with that!

So Ryo can tap into his father's ability to combo after a Koh'ou ken, with the power of EX. Wonder what they mean by a different animation on his Zanretsuken? The fact he started his HD combo out of his overhead is pretty creepy!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNKP official Japanese Movelist: Have fun deciphering! Notice that team list are in same order as website. http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/img/kofxiii_commandlist.pdf

Random Observations from Tech Refs:

Psycho Soldiers are the masters of "Cancel aerial move into EX version of same move for fun and profit!"

BAH, they didn't show Chin's drinking special. They DID show the DM that the drinks give him though.

Chin's EX counter is fantastic, it's a mini-ranbu! They showed him cause a crumple on Leona in the Promotional vid from a while back, but didn't show a MOVE that caused crumple now. Not I'm curious!

EX Down-down A punches do 3 hits and such the opponent in. This sounds deliciously broken, if those punches can be repeated similiar to KoF XII. Double punch, double punch, EX DubP, DubP, DubP, EXDM, Neomax = FUN! Will have to wait and see if that's possible.

Athena gets invincibility on Teleport Startup. I've ALWAYS wanted her to have that! And she can cancel the EX Teleport into command throw! Yay! She also has the ability to juggle after EX command throw. Shades of Elisabeth??

Kensou seems solid, of course, 4x Rekka looks nice, and his EX DP kicks do as much damage as his multipunch DM. EX version of his run attack has insta-startup, no pre-run required.

Overall, I'm very happy with what I've seen of Chin, yet... I feel like I have a lot to discover, as he looks like a nice buff to his already-solid XII variation. I HOPE the drinking does more for him than just the DM, but since the DM looks so useful, wouldn't be bad if it was just for that. Athena and Sie look to have good uniqueness to their tricks, and both seem to have a solid pressure-from-air game, stemming off the ability to EX their "dives."

Fersis

AOF Neomaxes are really polished now... sick Takuma combo by the way.
So whats the deal with the HyperDrvie mode, if you get hit its over? I think they went back and fort with this on the loketest.

PJX

Fersis said:
I like how KOF XIII is better than your favorite game.

I cant believe how good its shaping up.

DONT THINK FEEEEEEEL !
These technical reference guides are the best thing ever.
I WUV U SNKP!!

Its a shame that it will be arcade only :/

Its little touches like Kensou becoming tired after his multi hit combo/super that I appreciate with KOF XIII. I await the K' team tech reference video with great anticipation.

Takuma and especially Duo Lon look really fun. Tempted to main them both alongside Clark once this hits on consoles.

And Robert's NeoMax in its current animation looks dumb.

Fersis

SonicTempest (Orochinagi) translated Rose's speech on the main website:
ROSE said:
"KOF fans of the world! On behalf of the Berstein family who's hosting this year's tournament, I'd like to say a few words.
Even though it was some gang that started this tournament, the one who brought it to its current form was my father Rugal- what, we're out of time?
A-anyway! Just 13 more days! The teams' physical condition is reaching a fever pitch! Get ready for the start of the greatest KOF in history!"

Yes, its so freaking hype.

TreIII

arstal said:
Absolute worst case it becomes import only I think.

Eh, I dunno. Maybe Ignition will try again, or maybe even THQ (they're talking about trying to make more deals with Japanese developers, right?) will throw their hat in the ring. I honestly wouldn't mind THQ at all, at this point.

The thing that can always be said about SNK/KOF in America is that it has been, for the most part, horridly marketed. The main reason SNK missed out on the fighting game boom of the 90s, and hasn't been doing that well even here lately, is largely due to that (KOFXII not delivering on its promise is another issue altogether).

KOFXIII, married with a competent, and largely trustworthy publisher like THQ, who will make sure this game will get the marketing focus it deserves, would be a thing that I would love to see happen.

Fersis

Konami could be another possible publisher... same as Atlus. (They published Metal Slug on PSP)

panda21

wait ignition definitely aren't publishing it??

i thought they just said they were just going to be riding SNK hard to make sure it wasn't shit after they got burned with XII??

So is it true that Nona is really gone? If that's the case it makes me kind of sad for characters added in to the future games. I felt his style fit KOF so well and gave the series a new look. :(

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
panda21 said:
wait ignition definitely aren't publishing it??

i thought they just said they were just going to be riding SNK hard to make sure it wasn't shit after they got burned with XII??

Last I heard, Ignition was still interested, but they are waiting to see the final product before deciding to publish it on the US. Well that is what they hint on.

patrickthehedgehog said:
So is it true that Nona is really gone? If that's the case it makes me kind of sad for characters added in to the future games. I felt his style fit KOF so well and gave the series a new look. :(

For my understanding, Nona is still in SNKP, but was not involve in KOF13 heavily, KOF12 was basically all his. He is taking a "rest" for what I understood.

Top Bottom