• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think im going to make a DVD with all these videos.
Its a nice reason to learn how to make DVD menus and all that. ^___^

KOF > You

Damn, the countdown website has the most awesome artwork ever... yup, pants off. Repeat Pants have been removed.

Frankfurt

Banned
Am i the only one that is bothered by how they took the time to render beautiful frames, only to hide them in silhouette?

Anyway, Saiki is just white Ash with loose hair (judging from cutscenes), so i'm not going to jump up and down about him yet. Not until we see some footage, at least.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
Am i the only one that is bothered by how they took the time to render beautiful frames, only to hide them in silhouette?

Naa, because you'll still see those frames when he whiffs! So all is good and just. I woulda preferred for him to have a more maniacal look on his face as he prepared the slash though, as he looks pretty calm to be "WWWEEAHHLLLLLLLLGH!"-ing like that.

I wonder if every Neomax will lead to special win poses when used to K.O. opponents? We've seen Kyo end a round, which let him stay in his "blows smoke off his fingers" stance. We've seen a screenshot of Andy using his neomax end as a win pose. I just wonder for characters like Leona and Vice, what would THEY do? New posses entirely, or just stay in one of the frames from the Max?

It'd be a cool little incentive to using neo's before final rounds, in order to see the special KOs (as if people don't just skip then anyway! -_-)

Hehe, with these new daily technical videos, we'll have something new to talk about here each day till at least July 8th/9th. (Expcept on weekends, but that'll just give time to digest!)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Translating the Yagami team blog entry.

IORI
- Iori's strength is the many ways he can attack when he's at close range. In particular he has low jumps which make his jump attacks hard to counter. On top of that he has his Sotoshiki: Yurifuri, and his command grab 203 Shiki: Tsuchitsubaki, making him a character with a lot of offensive options. In addition he has a new move Sotoshiki: Kui, which is an overhead, further improving his offensive capabilities.

- They thought about what sort of moves to give Iori to bring out his ferociousness in spite of losing his flames, and they settled on the image of him tearing things to shreds with his nails.

- EX 401 Shiki: Shougetsu has Iori move forward more than the regular version. It's also invincible until the attack comes out, and gives Iori frame advantage on block.

- EX 104 Shiki: Nueuchi gains invincibility and does 3 hits, making it a good anti-air move as well as a good move for interrupting attacks.

- EX Forbidden 1211 Shiki: Yaotome makes the background turn red on the final hit. The same goes for the EX versions of Mature's and Vice's DMs.

- It also has longer invincibility, making it good (again) for anti-air or interrupting other attacks.

- His NeoMAX is a new move called Forbidden 1218 Shiki: Yatagarasu, where he slashes violently above him in an arc. It's slow on startup, but has good priority and is great in combos. If you connect it at the moment the move starts up the move's animation looks like the KOF'96 Yagami team ending where Iori slaughters his teammates.

- They changed the animation in response to feedback from location tests that the move looked too plain :)lol).

- They've re-added Iori's close B attack, to at least make his normals feel like they used to, even though his specials have completely changed.

- Iori's 10th color matches the color scheme of his old outfit. At the second location test they added a crescent to the back of this outfit to make it match the old one more closely, and it became the most popular colour chosen :)lol).

- They indicated that Iori's ending will be something to look forward to.

MATURE
- Mature is a fast character with lots of moves just like in previous games (I guess the KOFXII version doesn't count). This time you can use her Ebony Tears as a shield to advance behind just like in previous games, so Mature users should be happy.

- EX Ebony Tears does 3 hits and allows for followup attacks

- EX Death Row can be input up to 5 times instead of up to 3 times, making it easy to hit confirm and great for chipping.

- EX Despair has some invincibility on startup, making it a very important move for Mature who does't have many moves that let her counterattack quickly.

- EX Nocturnal Lights has a different animation from the regular version (the background turns red, as mentioned before). Apparently they had problems getting the blue Ebony Tears effect to look good on the red background, .

- Mature's NeoMAX is called 'Awaking Blood', where she removes her eyepatch and her eye flashes, at which point a large tail-like energy wave smashes the opponent. The range is pretty long, making it good for combos as well as a standalone move at long range. Also, it hits overhead.

- It's hard to make out on the sprite, but apparently Mature's eyepatch conceals a snake-shaped birthmark.

VICE
- Vice is a power character with a focus on throw moves, much like earlier games, but unlike Daimon and Clark she has good striking attacks too, and has some good combos.

- After the location tests they gave her back her mid-air throw DM Overkill. It looks like it's difficult to combo, but you can in fact super cancel it after Mayhem -> Splash, right before the Splash hits.

- EX Decide has 'everywhere priority' (wtf does なんでも判定 mean?) (SAB-CA note: it means anywhere juggle!) and lets Vice follow up with a close C after it connects, creating a combo opportunity.

- EX Negative Gain has an effect where a skull appears on the screen (I guess like one of the energy pillars in Mature or Rugal's moves?)

- Her NeoMAX has the same name as Mature's (Awakening Blood). She removes her jacket slightly, and the birthmark on her back flashes, at which point a large energy wave shaped like a snake's tail knocks the opponent down at high speed. Because the snake appears from the edge of the screen behind Vice, it can be easily used as a counterattack when Vice is cornered.

- Mature's and Vice's 4th color makes their color schemes match Iori's.

Next week? The AOF team.

Vice gets a DM version of her 2002/Neowave HSDM... only grapplers with an air DM throw so far... nice and original. Son, I not Dissapoint!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Took you a while to post it here SAB, I didn't want to double post so I hoped for you to post this. :lol

Anyways, 1 more hr to see one of the new videos from the KOF13 countdown page! I can't wait to see it! :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Took you a while to post it here SAB, I didn't want to double post so I hoped for you to post this. :lol

Anyways, 1 more hr to see one of the new videos from the KOF13 countdown page! I can't wait to see it! :D

db--d-df-r-uf-u-d-snkb-snkd was so annoying to write, I had to take a break :lol
Man, KoF makes me awake and sleep at odd times... XD

Why AM I so excited to see ASH in action... lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Now if only it was in ENGLISH! Really hope they put these on a special DVD with console release, seeing how they will have them all nicely created by then.:D

Class act there SNKP. Looking forward to seeing all of these. It's like everyone's SFIV Ryu! "If you can dream it, it's probably possible!"

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Wow , they gave Vice her 2k2 HSDM? Hopefully it has a sane motion- but SNK has seemed reasonable on that so far.

I'd rather have seen her get her 98UM double fireball DMs which were good gimmicks, but may have been too much in this game. I see Iori still lacks 2 DMs, but I hate Iori so I don't mind that. Iori: me is like Blanka: GAF.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Wow , they gave Vice her 2k2 HSDM? Hopefully it has a sane motion- but SNK has seemed reasonable on that so far.

I'd rather have seen her get her 98UM double fireball DMs which were good gimmicks, but may have been too much in this game. I see Iori still lacks 2 DMs, but I hate Iori so I don't mind that. Iori: me is like Blanka: GAF.

Motion quoted from the translation was "db,d,df,f,uf,u,d", but not sure WHERE it was pulled from (just the old motion I'd assume, didn't see it mentioned in blog...) The fact it can be super-canceled into, out of the leap from "Splash" is nice (Hey, look, a setup! even if it takes extra meter...) And I'd have to think that it'd also be a perfect followup to a normal or EX Gorefest, too.

Whithering Surface (qcf x2 DM) is a fav of mine, but I have to admit I like her having a unique aerial super, with what looks like built-in ways to get to it. Prefer a DM with setups off her BnBs, rather than a gimmicky DM that loses use as people get smarter. And it seems like a fun reason to play her, as well.

Interesting at the Iori hate... I kinda felt like that about Neowave Robert... SFIV Gief might be my most hated character of all, though. (Makoto VS Gief is worse than Sim VS Gief by a mile... at least one is ALMOST enjoyable.)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Motion quoted from the translation was "db,d,df,f,uf,u,d", but not sure WHERE it was pulled from (just the old motion I'd assume, didn't see it mentioned in blog...) The fact it can be super-canceled into, out of the leap from "Splash" is nice (Hey, look, a setup! even if it takes extra meter...) And I'd have to think that it'd also be a perfect followup to a normal or EX Gorefest, too.

Whithering Surface (qcf x2 DM) is a fav of mine, but I have to admit I like her having a unique aerial super, with what looks like built-in ways to get to it. Prefer a DM with setups off her BnBs, rather than a gimmicky DM that loses use as people get smarter. And it seems like a fun reason to play her, as well.

Interesting at the Iori hate... I kinda felt like that about Neowave Robert... SFIV Gief might be my most hated character of all, though. (Makoto VS Gief is worse than Sim VS Gief by a mile... at least one is ALMOST enjoyable.)

Yeah, that motion is way too difficult, they need to make it easier if that's what they're using. Iori 98 was SF4 Ryu for all intents and purposes, which is why I grew to hate the character- every single Mexican scrub picked him, and did the same crap- yet it could sometimes work. 98UM Iori is at least toned down slightly. Krauser was SF4 Sagat.

When 98UM tournies were done here, all the guys who wanted cheap wins went Krauser/Iori/somebody. Those people dropped fast, killing the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Yeah, that motion is way too difficult, they need to make it easier if that's what they're using. Iori 98 was SF4 Ryu for all intents and purposes, which is why I grew to hate the character- every single Mexican scrub picked him, and did the same crap- yet it could sometimes work. 98UM Iori is at least toned down slightly. Krauser was SF4 Sagat.

I'm torn on if I'd like to see OverKill be 2 qcf's, or 2 hcb's. The former because it's be the most easily accessable (and could be buffered in the DP motion of Splash), or the latter because it would be uniform with her other DM.

Should be a good "shortcut" method to it, even if it is the old motion, though. doing d, db, f P for hcb,f throws in XII makes me think SNKP is moving in the right direction, motion wise, as well.

I don't remember much about fighting solid krauser in 98UM XBLA, a shame. Most memorable "Wow, he can do THAT?!?" moment for me, involved Beni's amazing crossup ability. Never been messed up so consistently by crossups in a KoF before. I have an easier time VS Mai's Kneedrop shenanigans in NGBC...

When 98UM tournies were done here, all the guys who wanted cheap wins went Krauser/Iori/somebody. Those people dropped fast, killing the game.

The worse tierwhoring I've seen in SNKP games online was pretty much with SamShoII... I'm suprised how little I've had to face on their other games, since then. People pick the games "Ryu & Ken", but I rarely feel I'm just being Tier exploited.

I hope XIII's massively open juggle systems make everyone have their "easy win" potential visable; Kensou looks like he has combos just as fun for such people, as Kyo. I think this will work very well for the game; it's an element as to why MvsC games are so popular. You can look like a star, even with very basic knowledge. HD cancels are also going to be so much more accessable than FADC, but only people who use them properly will get the full use out of their meters. People who mash motions constantly will be wasting meters left and right, but still look cool enough doing it.

Making a fighter that feels fun at all levels of play; to me, this is one of the key elements towards making fighters appeal to a broad audience. This looks like the best KoF has ever done in that respect, which increases my hopes of it having a real fighting chance.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
You know what I just notice? That KOFXIII lacks "reflection of light" in the sprites when the characters do their plasma/fire moves, ex ASH doesn't get any kind of reflection out of his Huge Fire Ball. I always thought that was amazing in KOF12, I hope SNKP adds it on the final ver of KOFXIII Arcade or in the console ver at least. =/

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
so i caught up with all the news so far..really really digging that ralf got some new moves.. probably gonna go with a ralf, joe and takuma as my team..my kof issue has always been that i liked too many characters

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
so i caught up with all the news so far..really really digging that ralf got some new moves.. probably gonna go with a ralf, joe and takuma as my team..my kof issue has always been that i liked too many characters

That is not an issue, that is what makes KOF awesome, so many cool and likable characters.

But at the same time that is what makes people get angry at every iteration of KOF, because the character THEY like it's not in the game, so its a 2 edge sword and I can't blame them. =/

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
so far im angry that some characters made it IN to the game.. i never wanted to hear the words 'bunker buster' again for as long as i live

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
You know what I just notice? That KOFXIII lacks "reflection of light" in the sprites when the characters do their plasma/fire moves, ex ASH doesn't get any kind of reflection out of his Huge Fire Ball. I always thought that was amazing in KOF12, I hope SNKP adds it on the final ver of KOFXIII Arcade or in the console ver at least. =/

I wonder if it's to not interfere with the rim lighting in certain stages? Though I do believe I've seen Elisabeth set herself aglow with her wonderful "new" dm, sooo... hard to say.

We've got multi-cast shadows in stages with lanters and stuff now, + different tones of halo lighting in different stages.

Yet we seem to be missing corner-cast shadows over characters, as in XII, and have either removed or toned down self-lighting from moves.

So many effects! Really do hope some of the old ones reappear, even if on a less-used scale.

Gr1mLock said:
so far im angry that some characters made it IN to the game.. i never wanted to hear the words 'bunker buster' again for as long as i live

So far, you won't here "Mongolian!" "Bunkerrrr.... BUSTA!" or "Maxima REVENJA!" again, sooo... does that help some? XD

I wanted Whip more than Maxima... yet... I now am very much looking forward to playing the NEW Maxima. Looks like he has taken a few cues from classic Clark, and the overhauled characters of XII made up a large amount of my favorites. XIII will probably be no exception!

I am VERY excited for this game. I hoped to make my break into the kof series with 12, but that didn't happen since that game was garbage. 13 looks to do everything right, so hopefully they announce the console version soon so I can hop on board.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FindMyFarms said:
I am VERY excited for this game. I hoped to make my break into the kof series with 12, but that didn't happen since that game was garbage. 13 looks to do everything right, so hopefully they announce the console version soon so I can hop on board.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the hype train! ^_^ Hope you see lots of appealing sights in the upcoming tech ref vids, as you stand on the outside!

----

Y'know, I finally got to see Tung Fu Rue in the China stage:

Tungsighting.jpg

This being from the Vice Neomax vid.

So Elisabeth team goes up 5 am east tonight. (Tomorrow Morning? It's not a new day till I sleep!) So among other things we should see how Elisabeth follows up after her command throw, fireballs reflected from SHEN WOO B*TCH SLAP, the proper multi-hit use of Duo Lon's EX fireball, and a chance to see if any of their NeoMax's have gotten graphical touchups.

Have a feeling that friday after next, will be the first time we get to see Team K' NM's in action... Convenient that all this week is "old characters" from XII, while next week's has all the new faces added in to XIII... (I really wanna see Hwa Jai's too. Hm.)

---
Random: 3 things I'd love to see added to the inevitable console port:

1. SNK "Insert Coin" sound when someone enters your lobby online.
2. Some situation that plays the classic Neo Geo boot sound (Just like ending portraits in 98UM did).
3. Team-themed voice clips whenever you earn an achievement/trophy.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
The only thing i really want is a boss character, preferably Geese

What? This is KOF not FF/Garou. :lol

It seems KOF13 might have 3 bosses or 2, who knows, they must add Adelheid for sure, because his sister Rose is this KOF tournament sponsor.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
-DarKaoZ- said:
What? This is KOF not FF/Garou. :lol

It seems KOF13 might have 3 bosses or 2, who knows, they must add Adelheid for sure, because his sister Rose is this KOF tournament sponsor.

i like geese..and i want double reppuken..and having geese in any game in a not boss like capacity is blasphemy

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
i like geese..and i want double reppuken..and having geese in any game in a not boss like capacity is blasphemy

Geese last game as a boss as CvsSNK1 and that was long ago. Is like saying Bison sucks because he isn't the boss in SF3 and SF4. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
-DarKaoZ- said:
Geese last game as a boss as CvsSNK1 and that was long ago. Is like saying Bison sucks because he isn't the boss in SF3 and SF4. :lol

You forgot Neowave.

I think if SNK puts a Howard in the game it will be Rock not Geese.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
-DarKaoZ- said:

not at all..in fact quite the opposite..it plays up to how goddamn awesome geese is

Mr Jared

The future of the mainstream fighting game community really depends on this, Mortal Kombat and MvC3 gaining an audience. At least two out of the three.

My fingers are crossed because it looks great and I really want to see a new, popular 2D fighter. I'm looking to hop in with Ash, Elizabeth and Goro. When it comes to KOF, I'm more willing to learn characters whose designs I enjoy, where in Street Fighter I just pick whoever fits my style.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mr Jared said:
The future of the mainstream fighting game community really depends on this, Mortal Kombat and MvC3 gaining an audience. At least two out of the three.

My fingers are crossed because it looks great and I really want to see a new, popular 2D fighter. I'm looking to hop in with Ash, Elizabeth and Goro. When it comes to KOF, I'm more willing to learn characters whose designs I enjoy, where in Street Fighter I just pick whoever fits my style.

I think this makes you the first person to ever say they like Goro's design! :lol But it's good to hear him mentioned. I might not play him, but even I would like to see him get more play.

It's be fantastic for this game to place a few steps towards major companies attempting more 2D works, and on current gen hardware. If all the big special effects, slight filtering, uber detailed backgrounds, and higher quality animations can manage to be fairly successful, I hope it has an effect on the projects of companies like Konami and Capcom...

-DarKaoZ- said:
OK I'm sorry this is random, but OMG it's awesome! :lol :lol

kim_attorney.gif

Aye, that IS pretty awesome! :D Elisabeth and that Von Karma girl have always reminded me of each other, wonder what KoF character could stand in for Godot...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
tribal24 said:
when does this come out on ps3?

No console port has been even announced yet. They don't even have a publisher yet.

My guess: SNK will be stupid and release it a week after either MK9 or MVC3.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Console/Arcade Status Primer: No console release info has been announced yet. Arcade game comes out July 14th. SNKP did NOT show up at E3, we don't know why. :D

Ash: I like him perfectly fine. I'd rather play Leona when it comes to charge characters, but Ash is way too well created and animated for me to hate him, especially since XII. He's really become quite the character, and his moves in XIII look fantastic.

Technical Reference Update: 2 hours or so away from now, Elisabeth team, comin' up!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
-DarKaoZ- said:
Ash hate?! Are you nuts? We love him!

Seriously, he is an awesome anti-hero and a prick. :lol

Ash will likely be on my team for XIII.

Most likely going to end up Ash/Mai/some troll character

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I have so many favorite characters to play with, so my team will change a lot, most likely I will play with:

K
Kula
Iori
Ash
Kyo
Andy
Terry
Robert
Elizabeth
Kensou (never liked him before XII)
Chin (Same as Kensou)
Duo Lon
Athena
Kim
Benimaru

Yeah, so far I will play with all of those. :lol
What can I say? I'm a multicharacter player, even in SSF4. :lol :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:
I guess hanging out on the neo-geo message boards has given me a different impression. "GET THAT FAGGOT OUT OF MY KOF!!!"

IMO Ash design was made to be hated, even his attitude is annoying. But that is what makes him so original and fun! I loved finish off people in KOF12 with his grab, that grab degrades the opponent like none other and makes him look like an asshole as he laughs. Man how I love that grab! :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tech Ref 2!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFX8UBiyo8w&hd=1

10 min long.

Elisabeth: In line with my expectations, cool, cool. Her EX Light DM, now acting as a projectile, does solid damage. No double uppercut juggles shown, wonder if that's been changed any?

Duo Lon: EX COMMAND NORMALS?!? Is that a first? (I wanted EX drills for Sim in SSFIV! XD) Finally get to see his EX fireball in action. That has a LOT of hits. He's going to be a mixup beast unlike any stretchyarms before him, heh.

Shen Woo: Power Up + Neomax = Nearly instant kill, hah hah hah. He's got crumple, he's got uppercut floats, and his Neomax looks even cooler in high quality video. Such wonderful setups for anything he wants to do to you... I don't think Elisabeth's juggle ability looks so bad, when SHEN can Float and land SHEN WOO MEGA PUNCHs so easily!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
It really looks like this game is going to allow combo into DM really easy.

That might either be a very good or very bad thing. I expect this game to have its fans and haters.

Top Bottom