• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

No like really! What is up the 2D HATE CULT!? I mean...does everything have to be an expensive mess of half finished ideas with a marketing campaign!? I swear to god, the people who bitched about seeing the pixels in KOF XII have RUINED MY LIFE! The zoom gave that game STYLE! Please SNKP, put that ZOOM feature back in! XII STILL looks AMAZING!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Looks like Ralf got hit with the nerf stick some.

I don't think the Ikaris are gonna get that much play to be honest, they seem a bit bland compared to the rest of the cast.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Looks like Ralf got hit with the nerf stick some.

Because of lack of Autoguard on his qcf punch? Seems to be a universal trend of XIII; anything that was uber-powered in some whay in XII, by some strange property, now has been made reasonable again, and EX allows you to access an equally, if not more so, powerful version of the one superbuff more.

To avoid reposting what I put on SRK, I'll just say I'm happy with the overall buffness of team Ikari. 2 memebers of the team I personally love playing, and one (Ralf) my brother plays a lot, so this is a team where seeing all 3 look so solid is a bit of a special treat.

Clark's EX SAB and UAB are trying very hard to make up for his lack of throw range in XII. Love it, the range looks to put him easily on equal ground to someone like Raiden.

Welcome back, Clark! (A victorious Terry always welcomes back Leona in XII, so I wouldn't say such to her... leads to too many bad memories of Terry superiority!)

I don't think the Ikaris are gonna get that much play to be honest, they seem a bit bland compared to the rest of the cast.

No matter how bland they may look, I'm sure they'll get more play than Chin XD And Loketest already had a LOT of Clark play for some reason... but maybe he'll be phased out as people start to understand, say, someone like Maxima.

(Chin and the Ikari's will get lots of play by me though, so sounds like business as usual in my online KoF character matchups..)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ralf's mash punches also got nerfed- and hard. They needed to be.

Clark- he looks like he just got more range on his EXs. Got a feeling he's going to a char you use that to Neomax with.

Leona's fine.

I might still use Ralf some, but I never used Clark/Leona at all.

I know in XII here (which is still actually played some)- Chin got more play then Clark. Clark needed Napalm Stretch, and Ralf needed Ralf Kick to me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Since i think its too early to talk about balance,nerfs,buffs and stuff....
Im pretty sure i will make my next girl friend to dress like Leona. Its so hawt.
I tried it with my ex but she asked me something in return that i couldnt accept. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
Ralf's mash punches also got nerfed- and hard. They needed to be.

Agreed. They were senseless in XII. Now they look like well balanced moves! Amazing!

Clark- he looks like he just got more range on his EXs. Got a feeling he's going to a char you use that to Neomax with.

Leona's fine.

-nod- -nod-

I know in XII here (which is still actually played some)- Chin got more play then Clark. Clark needed Napalm Stretch, and Ralf needed Ralf Kick to me.

He at least has something like it as a derived move now, so NS wish kinda granted. My brother was hoping Ralf would get his DP move from XI back. Crouch C, dp+A, divepunch was a nasty combo.

On the Chin point, good to hear (I should fight some of those guys some day...), I don't expect the majority to be so smart, though!

With Clark's EX Vulcan Punches giving him time to grapple afterwards (and I'd assume other stuff as well), I wonder if now HE'LL make more damage of the move than Ralf?

Example: Jump-in attack, stand c, df+A, EX Vulcan, link crouch A, EX (or C) Gattling Attack->Napalm Stretch could be a nasty, HD gauge-less combo...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KOFcheng.jpg

Did he get hit by the "blackface" truck?
(Dat's Wacist!)
Leona included in picture, because she's awesomer than Mai. "Deal with it, Fanboy!" :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Agreed. They were senseless in XII. Now they look like well balanced moves! Amazing!

-nod- -nod-

He at least has something like it as a derived move now, so NS wish kinda granted. My brother was hoping Ralf would get his DP move from XI back. Crouch C, dp+A, divepunch was a nasty combo.

On the Chin point, good to hear (I should fight some of those guys some day...), I don't expect the majority to be so smart, though!

With Clark's EX Vulcan Punches giving him time to grapple afterwards (and I'd assume other stuff as well), I wonder if now HE'LL make more damage of the move than Ralf?

Example: Jump-in attack, stand c, df+A, EX Vulcan, link crouch A, EX (or C) Gattling Attack->Napalm Stretch could be a nasty, HD gauge-less combo...

I don't think you'll need that link from the looks of it. KOF isn't about links anyways all that often- which is one reason I like (the good games of) the series- the combos are sensible usually.

The BnB for classic KOF combos is jump/hop-in, close heavy normal, chain into command normal, buffer into special/super. That's a lot easier then SF combos to me.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
KOFcheng.jpg

Did he get hit by the "blackface" truck?
(Dat's Wacist!)
Leona included in picture, because she's awesomer than Mai. "Deal with it, Fanboy!" :lol

NICE! I don't know if you notice, but Tizoc also appears on the right side of the forest level. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
I don't think you'll need that link from the looks of it. KOF isn't about links anyways all that often- which is one reason I like (the good games of) the series- the combos are sensible usually.

The BnB for classic KOF combos is jump/hop-in, close heavy normal, chain into command normal, buffer into special/super. That's a lot easier then SF combos to me.

-nod- Aye, still wonder if it'll be possible. Can't tell is the stun is long enough for a variety of moves, or only to throw from. And you'd need some amount of back charge for the gattling, sooo...

Takuma's combo insanity from his neomax vid just has me thinking of what kinda possibilities you'll have outside of classic KoF command normal combos, y'know?

(S)SFIV's way of making NORMALS the hardest part to do in a combo, is needlessly overcomplex I'd say, KoF maintains a much more natural feeling balance, hence 1 reason I like it so much more than SF on a technical level.

-DarKaoz- said:
NICE! I don't know if you notice, but Tizoc also appears on the right side of the forest level.

Oh, yeah, that one I saw, but the TINY ones like Lin in China, and Ryuhaku Todoh in SUMO are really suprising me... they've put some stupid small stuff in there! Fio on Egypt is very cool, too, though now I wonder what the non-moving character in chanters crowd was... I saw it in an older vid, but haven't seen it in any of the newer, clear vids...

They're hiding stuff EVERYWHERE, it really is pretty cool!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CadetMahoney said:
That bears no passing resemblance to Cheng imo.
cheng-ff21.gif

Have you seen Chang Koehan in the same background? He looks a bit "Off" compared to his classic self as well.

KOFsightings.jpg

Maybe the art director for this stage just likes giving the characters a bit of a unique spin?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just saw the scans for the latest Arcadia Magazine... WOW... i mean like 'Best artwork of any KOF wow'
Theres a section with the team stories and each one has a new artwork.
Looks like theres tonz and tonz of new info.

The art looks like a kickass japanese cartoon. Like better than KOF Another Day.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The art is pretty cool; I wonder if that's a peek as to what the endings will end up looking like? All the scenes are obviously ones drawn from the stories on the website though... so I wonder if that means we'll see those stories in game, with that artwork, too.

Besides the art, however, my fav shots in the arcadia scans are of Hwa Jai's Neomax, and Maxima's. I'm happy to see Maxima's Neomax looks very PROTON CANNON-esque, and he seems to be shooting it from his chest, which should be quite the animation. (He's shot beams from his arms and chest in the past...)

17 or so more hours, and we'll get to start watching KoF Vids all over again ^_^ It sounds like the special vid series might be based on The guys from the arcadia tourney re-matching. I look forward to seeing them duke it out with final game code, maybe they'll be cool and throw in a few taunts + K' team Neomax's, or at least a Drunken Hwa Jai! (^_^ )

Fersis

Hwa Jai NeoMax looks bonkers.
And Yuri looks really funny in one of her taunts.

Great work by SNKP promoting KOFXIII in Japan.

Dali

-DarKaoZ- said:
NICE! I don't know if you notice, but Tizoc also appears on the right side of the forest level. :lol
... and Cham Cham and Paku Paku are on the left side.

2vahzsw.jpg

edit:

Are you looking at the toucan or are you really spotting Tizoc?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Should be noted, the artist for the Arcadia issue is apparently just doing that art for Arcadia itself. On his website, it says that he's been comissioned to do art for the Aug and Sept issues of Arcadia Magazine.

You can find his site here: http://fool.ran-maru.net/

Thought I recognized that awkward look on Kyo's face XD I've seen quite a few of his pieces over the years. He's also apparently done some video game work, with monster designs in tales games, and such.

Anywho, would love to see these images appear in game's gallery, even if they aren't to be used for in-game stuff.

Would be great to see some american mag pull off something as cool as this. "Gamefan" magazine, with it's personal artist on board, would probably do a great job with it...

Dali

-DarKaoZ- said:
I'm talking about Tizoc, who else? :lol

Tizocbackground.png
My bad. He's really hidden there.

... and gotdamn that level's offensive. I guess they can use the excuse that, from France to India, they're all offensive.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dali said:
It's back up.

My Cham Cham/Paku Paku capture is much better than theirs. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing in a few of those.

Oh ok cool, yeah I like all the cameos so far.

Anyways, the woman team is not in the countdown page saying something, I wonder what they say. :lol

99_101230_c7dfb01c606356a.gif

KingJ2002

Dali said:
My bad. He's really hidden there.

... and gotdamn that level's offensive. I guess they can use the excuse that, from France to India, they're all offensive.

Yeah... i've come to realize that in essence... KOF & SF are offensive games playing on stereotypes.

but that jungle level... yikes.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Ok managed to get some translations of the Dialog Boxes and make some edition of the images. Click on the picture to see Ikari Warrior, Japan and Fatal Fury team translations. I will try to add more ones I find them. :D

FHIZ

I didn't feel like it was necessary to make a new thread for this, but it is now official that KoF 02UM is coming to XBLA. achievements seen here. Who knows when, SNK games usually just pop up out of no where.

hopefully its the same netcode as NeoGeo BC, and hopefully said netcode gets implemented in XIII... If not, ffffffffuuuuu

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't think anyone knew, lol. I'm not even sure THEY knew!

Hwa Jai's is cool, and I liked the amount of juggle they showed off with his corner game. It's like you get to make your own version of one of Adon's supers! XD

Kim is, of course, very cool. I like how strong the smoke looks now, I believe it was lighter and wispier before, but the whole moves looks more polished now; effects look a bit better placed and implimented.

Raiden's is a lot better, with the superstar lightning, the "THE END!" line, and the massive amount of spinout he sends you into (a hit effect I've not seen replicated anywhere else in the game.) Much better and showier than a simple ground hit, which seems much more wrestling-like. He IS a showman, after all!

Charge times really are low in this game, eh? I'm really starting to enjoy that aspect; it'll be a pain to fight aganist, but it'll be fun as can be to play! I hate it in fighters, where I try to toss my charged move, and because of a small fraction of being too quick, it whiffs... forces one to turtle much more than they'd like to.

So in the same day, Japan time, we're gonna see Kim team Neomax's, A blog update, Tech vids for the ladies, and an Arcadia-themed special? OKAY!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
So in the same day, Japan time, we're gonna see Kim team Neomax's, A blog update, Tech vids for the ladies, and an Arcadia-themed special? OKAY!

And Women Team Countdown dialog! I'm working on it as we speak!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
And Women Team Countdown dialog! I'm working on it as we speak!

*Salute* Yeah, thanks for the nice translations that SNKP hasn't seen fit to share with us yet! :lol

Relationship chars, chatting on the countdown, returns of taunts, prefight intros all throughout story mode, special art made for magazine spreads... you can't say SNKP has forgetten how fun the interaction of characters makes KoF, eh?

(Anyone else wondering why Kim's Neomax video has Ikari team music? It's freaky, lol.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I, for one, hate it.

No, seriously, thanks for the translation! :D

Yes Mai, according the a mass of comments online, you win this round!

Aww man, I noticed in the recent NeoMAX vids they took out the silence when they're performed. I thought the silence was an awesome effect to make it more badass, especially in the case of Andy's.

Hunahan

Banned
SAB CA said:
Bah, fine, I'll mirror it on my space!: KoF Cameo Collection!
You rock! Thanks!

Sooo...left to right:

Row 1:
1) ???? 2) shingo 3) butt 4) cheng 5) ???? 6) chris 7) agents

Row 2:
1) cham cham 2) shermie 3) xiangfei 4) hinako 5) ???? 6) ???? 7) (says mr big? I don't see it.)

Row 3:
1) yamazaki 2) chang 3) jenet 4) ???? 5) ???? 6) ????

Hunahan

Banned
Awesome.

Yeah, now that I know what I'm looking for I can see all of them......except mr. big.

Fio and kasumi are too blurry to really see why they are they too, I guess. But I can at least figure out where they are and everything.

Cool stuff here either way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
Aww man, I noticed in the recent NeoMAX vids they took out the silence when they're performed. I thought the silence was an awesome effect to make it more badass, especially in the case of Andy's.

Wouldn't get too worried about it yet. For example, in the Vice and Mature Vids, the music stops, as well as in his original Neomax vid. Yet in the swiftly replaced Saiki-less version of Iori's, the music sticks.

I'll be pretty bummed if the music pause is taken out too, but I think it's just a matter of their recording methods. Lets hope, anyway!

On the Cameos pic:

Jyazu is pretty hard to read. And for the Mr. Big picture... why did they take a picture of that screen over Andy's head? Should have taken a picture of the VERY OBVIOUS BLIMP that has his face and name on it, instead... Oh, and I think that Ryuhaku Todoh, not Kasumi. The epitome of SNK's "Where's Ryuhaku!" character antics...

AAK

Can't unsee: that chris pic looks more like a a dude with a brown afro and black beard with a locket hanging around his neck.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yuri can trip and then "demon flip" into air throw. Or Chou Uppa Cancel into DF->Air Throw.

TEACH CAMMY HOW TO DO THAT, PLEASE!? :lol

Man, now I've gotta add Yuri to my "must play" list... crap.
King's always got a spot on a team of mine, if there's Trap Shot, I'll play King, at least some!

AAK

Man, SNKp really has something special on their hands. Please don't pull a Tekken and make a rushed console port. And I'm not sure, but it looks like only Terry has a winpose, or did they just skip it for the other characters?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
AAK said:
Man, SNKp really has something special on their hands. Please don't pull a Tekken and make a rushed console port. And I'm not sure, but it looks like only Terry has a winpose, or did they just skip it for the other characters?

They just skip them, people don't like to see win pose when they lose. :lol

Notice that Mai neomax take off less life now still she not looking to bad.
Yuri look awesome even better than i hope for , can't wait to play her.
King also looks great.

Top Bottom