• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Frankfurt

Banned
The dilaogue art is not by Nona. It's by an in-house artist*. The same responsible for the 2003 and XI select screen art:

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/kof2003select.jpg
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np/games/kxi-select.jpg

Nona's faces are very lively, and his shading has a lot of personality. He's the most expressive artist at SNK, by a mile:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/paraplegicomental/roar.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/paraplegicomental/badazz.jpg
http://img125.imageshack.us/f/rival4in.jpg/
http://img387.imageshack.us/f/kyoiori3eq.jpg/

People like to blame the known illustrators for everything (Falcoon, anyone? He had nothing to do with Ash, Duo, Shen or Malin, but everyone still blames him for them), but the truth is - there's a dozen of guys creating the new designs and all kinds of in-game art.

Hiroaki is great (used to be my favorite), but he's grown very, very repetitive. Not as much as how Shinkiro (who used to draw everyone, even women and children, with the same face), though.

On another topic - i don't get why some people are so attached and defensive about their favorite characters. My favorite is King, but i have no problem when people point out King's hair is kinda like a mop, that her arms are skinny or that she didn't get anything new. I've seen Kula, Mature, Ryo fans get all pissy when people point out anything. I can understand defending when someone says the "art direction is shit" or that the game sucks...

_______

* Should note usually someone else will jump in to help with the deadlines, like in XI's endings. Which i guess it's why there's so much confusion.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A couple of days until we found out who the final boss is! And how the Ash Saga ends!!
SO HYPE!

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:
Yet Ogura also has a hand in a lot of this as well, right? I keep seeing Ogura-looking works with Nona's name all over them, on the net... so without greater japanese reading ability, I don't feel like I'm getting the full story.

Ogura's style was softer. After Nona replaced Shikiro (Nona was Shinkiro's apprentice) as overall art director for SNK, Ogura's style started to change and get closer to Nona's ultra-detailed rendering (Nona has to teach everyone below him - without Nona, Ogura would still be pretty boring).

http://theneogeogigapowerblog.zip.net/images/ogura.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080210053427/snk/images/c/c8/Iori.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090605182047/snk/images/c/c0/Kofxiiterry-ryo.jpg
http://japan.gamespot.com/arcade/screenshots/common/pictures/0,3800075610,10447635p-23,00.htm

Nona's rendering, as comparison (7 or 8-year old Nona art, he hasn't done any major painting i could find recently, but you can tell that Ogura only reached Nona's 2002-2003 level of rendering recently - even the way he does highlights now is the same):

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters2/kenchaoss.jpg

The comparison would be more fair if we could have a bigger XIII Ryo, like SVC's Ken (smaller = looks smoother), but this should give you the idea.

KOF XIII will have a presence at SBO if I recall Fersis numerous posts. When is SBO again?

I wonder if the story they chose will really leave it at Ash being some evil lord or the like in wait. I think this would do he scheming nature a disservice.

After seeing all the Fersis hype in the EVO thread, I'm thinking we're close to launch?

I've stood up from my seat in the caboose of the hype train.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Talking about Countdown Dialogs, here are Elizabeth Team and Ash Dialogs!
If you miss any of the other, just click on the images and it will take you to the post where you will see the rest of them.

Hope you guys enjoy them. Thanks again to Wesker and Terry_La_Caza from www.speksnk.org

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Urban Scholar said:
KOF XIII will have a presence at SBO if I recall Fersis numerous posts. When is SBO again?

I wonder if the story they chose will really leave it at Ash being some evil lord or the like in wait. I think this would do he scheming nature a disservice.
SBO : Sept 18 - 19

Sept 18 : Godlike KOFXIII
Sept 19 : Godlike KOF 02UM (Tougeki Edition)

the_log_ride said:
After seeing all the Fersis hype in the EVO thread, I'm thinking we're close to launch?

I've stood up from my seat in the caboose of the hype train.
Just two more days!!!!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
In Cyberfanatix the user "Mature" is teasing with info regarding KOFXIII Bosses, dunno if he really knows or not. But might as well post them here:

Boss 1 is Saiki.

Also, after Boss 2 there is no "final boss". Boss 2 is the last fight.

Heheh..
Nobody hacked the site, I've known the bosses for a while now actually. I'm not allowed to tell you if you've guessed any right but I suppose I could give a hint:

We've "seen" the Mid Boss already.

Once the game us officially released, I'll be sure to tell all.
Well..Except for 1 thing, I think that's supposed to be kept under wraps a while longer.
But I will be allowed to reveal the bosses. Finally!

Here's another clue:
There are no boss teams. Just single entries.

Here's another hint:
All of the bosses are male.

Take it or leave it, we have to wait and see it seems.

EDIT: It seems it's just something to tease/make fun of another user. *shrugs*
Lets just wait and see, that is the most certain thing to do at this moment.

Fersis

Two more days!!!!

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII!!!! The King Is Back all hail the King!!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
SNK, please do right by yourself.

I think they pretty much said what they wanted to say with Saiki countdown dialog! :lol

This is the translation I got, I'm not making this up. :lol

kofcdsmall13.png

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
voodoopanda said:
Who is Saiki? I don't recognize 'em.

Is related to Ash in some way, is the leader of "Those from a Distant Land" or something like that and one of KOFXIII bosses.

He appears in some of the leaked cutscenes of the single player game, so he is heavily involve in the story it seems.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
Ogura's style was softer. After Nona replaced Shikiro (Nona was Shinkiro's apprentice) as overall art director for SNK, Ogura's style started to change and get closer to Nona's ultra-detailed rendering (Nona has to teach everyone below him - without Nona, Ogura would still be pretty boring).

I rather like Ogura's XII born promo art; XIII's seems further away from his XII work, while not bad in any way, I kinda miss some of the more subtle stuff. Still, if that's his art for both games, I think it's rather interesting to see him able to shift his style so totally so swiftly.

Nona's rendering, as comparison (7 or 8-year old Nona art, he hasn't done any major painting i could find recently, but you can tell that Ogura only reached Nona's 2002-2003 level of rendering recently - even the way he does highlights now is the same)

The comparison would be more fair if we could have a bigger XIII Ryo, like SVC's Ken (smaller = looks smoother), but this should give you the idea.

Yeah, I have enough photoshop experience + artistic know-howto be able to tell the high amount of strokes, so no worries there. Also, the Terry VS Ryo XII promo art was actually pretty big, and really easy to see the strokes in, when you zoom on it.

-DarKaoZ- said:
In Cyberfanatix the user "Mature" is teasing with info regarding KOFXIII Bosses, dunno if he really knows or not.
It seems it's just something to tease/make fun of another user. *shrugs*
Lets just wait and see, that is the most certain thing to do at this moment.

Eh, seems true enough. I get the feeling they actually do know; think about the image of ripped-clothes King from earlier, with no other "obvious" sources revealed, even now.

All that, plus the weird way Arcade Infinity got XII in before the Japanese last year, makes me think there's an interesting backend or SNKP knowledge/connections that I'd love to get in on, personally. :lol

Anywho, fun with translations. I'd love to see SNKP's take on these things; they've always had such a weird, rather unique style of saying some ridiculously silly stuff. I've always really enjoyed their in-house translations.

So Aim: Tougeki! vid this morning, and then reports from actual players a day or so after that. Fun times approaching! Wonder what the likelyhood of seeing awesome HK videos soon are?

GhaleonQ

-DarKaoZ- said:
I think they pretty much said what they wanted to say with Saiki countdown dialog! :lol

This is the translation I got, I'm not making this up. :lol

*laughs* They seem to be a little less desperate than I am.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
robut said:
Who do you think the last boss will be? I'm hoping for Brian Battler!

It was confirm just a moment ago that Kevin Butler is the final boss of the game, you must beat every character perfect and with a NeoMAX every round to fight him and get the TRUE ending.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Personally, I'm hoping for Adelheid as a Midboss (His sister is being used like a puppet by Botan. He has a pretty good reason to fight!), Saiki as Boss 1, and Saiki with TFTP/TFTDL/ThoseWithCoolCloaks as semi-striker characters, much like Kula/Zero in 2k2UM, but even more annoying, as Boss 2.

I rather like how Doronjo turned out in Tatunoko VS Capcom personally, which helps prove that kinda character can work, and be decently balanced.

Combining that with the fact that SNKP has been trying the style for years (Like the annoying Sankuro in SamShoV), that the past games of this saga has had 2 tag games, and the fact that there are SO MANY NPCs in this Arc, and it just make sense, to me.

Anywho, no matter how it turns out, I'll just be happy to fight an SNK-style boss again. I remember how KoF 97 on Sega Saturn would let you save RIGHT in front of the boss... had so much fun beating (and getting endlessly beat by) Orochi, seeing all the endings, etc.

tzare

the game's almost here!!! can't wait to see youtube vids, final bosses and console versions announced :D

BTW, not KOF news but i found this at eurogamer reagrding Ono's new game somehow SNK related:

Fans have speculated that the game is a Darkstalkers reboot. However, one game Ono has denied he's working on is Capcom vs. SNK 3. "Personally, I hope for it. But I don't have time. Will anyone make it? :D RT @GhostpilotZ: @ Yoshi_OnoChin How about a Capcom vs SNK 3?" he said, once again, via Twitter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, poor Ichiki-san. It appears all the opponents of today's AimTou were members of the development staff! (KOF 13開発スタッフ = KOF XIII Development Staff) (Like my backwards translating?)

They showed us some cool stuff! :D

Fersis

Just one day left!!!!!

Can you feel it?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
tzare said:
the game's almost here!!! can't wait to see youtube vids, final bosses and console versions announced :D

BTW, not KOF news but i found this at eurogamer reagrding Ono's new game somehow SNK related:

Fans have speculated that the game is a Darkstalkers reboot. However, one game Ono has denied he's working on is Capcom vs. SNK 3. "Personally, I hope for it. But I don't have time. Will anyone make it? :D RT @GhostpilotZ: @ Yoshi_OnoChin How about a Capcom vs SNK 3?" he said, once again, via Twitter.

wow, Ghosty, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. If he was still playing competitively, he'd be one of the best American KOF players. He beasted me for years until I caught up.

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
One day left to us still not having a chance to play and enjoy the game! ;)
But we will get shaky cam footage of the bosses and we will know how the Ash Saga ends!
Thats hype!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sounds in line with realistic expectations. We're getting really close to seeing possible vids and such of all this... so won't be too long a wait until we know how factual it all is!

At least we won't have to wait for THAT. To all you guys who are actually in places that'll GET this game... have fun! Hope this turns into a big premiere.

Fersis

AAK said:
Was that guy supposed to be playing the computer???

Oh man... I am not looking forward to this Saiki guy. I still have Magaki nightmares.
SNKP gonna show that Seth is a little girl compared to the true bosses.

Igniz > Magaki > Rugal 98 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Seth.

valenti said:
Guys need to start using iphone 4 to record this.
Hell yeah, just wait 24 - 48 hours. :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
AAK said:
Was that guy supposed to be playing the computer???

Oh man... I am not looking forward to this Saiki guy. I still have Magaki nightmares.

Youtube commenters throught it was CPU at first, but if you translate the Kanji for the name they give the guys, it says "KoF XIII Development Staff". So nope, not the CPU!

Don't get too worried about Saiki... there's always easy mode! :lol Magaki having a different defeat line for each and every person you fought him with, made him kinda enjoyable to fight, for me. And even though he was ENDLESSLY broken, when I would find that one good abuseable opening... he really would get dumb for it.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Man I went to sleep after learning that the episode was going to be release later (it was 4 am here) and then I wake up to see the KOF XIII INTRO?!

AWESOME! :D

The intro was great, but I must say I expected a bit more, still really damn good, so not disappointed. :D

Fersis

SAB CA said:
Youtube commenters throught it was CPU at first, but if you translate the Kanji for the name they give the guys, it says "KoF XIII Development Staff". So nope, not the CPU!

Don't get too worried about Saiki... there's always easy mode! :lol Magaki having a different defeat line for each and every person you fought him with, made him kinda enjoyable to fight, for me. And even though he was ENDLESSLY broken, when I would find that one good abuseable opening... he really would get dumb for it.
XI PS2 had an arrange mode with some heavy Magaki nerfs.

ALSO: GET MOTHER EFFING HYPE !!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, XI PS2 is the only version I ever got to play ^_^ Well, ok, that's a bit untrue, we had XI arcade machine setup at local anime con 2 years ago. But not like I ever played single player on it...

PS2 2000/2001 collection has such ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE controls (US version anyway) that I never even got it... so my only memorable experience with those games is from emulation. So I always kinda regret that those bosses never got to really make their original impressions on me.

Even more reason why I'm looking forward to 2002UM XBLA. Which I was really hoping would make it out before Summer of Arcade...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
If those rumors on Cyberfanatix are true, is kinda sad not to have Adelheid in the game. =(
I really wanted to fight him or play with him in KOFXIII... maybe console release? Hopefully! :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a good reference to KoF 94, and I think it's perfectly fine for an arcade release, right alongside the previously shown one from the initial premiere.

I really wasn't expectiong there to BE another intro, so it's just a cool bonus for me.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
It's a good reference to KoF 94, and I think it's perfectly fine for an arcade release, right alongside the previously shown one from the initial premiere.

I really wasn't expectiong there to BE another intro, so it's just a cool bonus for me.

Another intro? What do you mean?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Another intro? What do you mean?

The one Fersis linked to, shown today = New Intro

That "made up of scenes from the story" thing from earlier (the one that's always "On Air" on SNKP JP website) is what I'm referring to as the "Old intro".

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
The one Fersis linked to, shown today = New Intro

That "made up of scenes from the story" thing from earlier (the one that's always "On Air" on SNKP JP website) is what I'm referring to as the "Old intro".

Oh ok, that makes sense.

I'm still surprise SNKP still decided to only do the intro with in studio artist, is nice to see that they don't go and pay an anime studio to make the animations for them. Unless they do and I don't know about it.

Fersis

Ive asked Yoshinori Ono who is his favorite KOF character:

Yoshi_OnoChin said:
Of couse Mai Shiranui !!
Gotta love that guy.

Top Bottom