• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-DarKaoZ- said:
I knew it was P something, but I forgot. I would had imagine it was something so obvious. :lol
We found P-Chan some Reference Guides ago.
Its a trule SNK touch.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'd settle for SFIV netcode right now. Thankfully I'll have an offline scene that actually knows what it's doing though.

Well it's a little early to celebrate as it's not definitive confirmation (P-A could've just added it as a placeholder and assumed Ignition would publish it like XII) Let's hope I'm wrong though :D

Where's the video of the roof stage people are talking about?

And I'm not really bothered by the extra effects in the NeoMaxes. It just doesn't strike me as tacked on like everyone else is saying here.

As for Vice and Mature, not a big fan, but I do think they have a place in this game. Who else is Iori going to team up with. I do admit, the idea of seeing Choi and Chang, maybe in their classic outfits (they could probably color the sprites in a way, like the other characters, to have both their classic outfits and their gis or whatever their TKD uniforms are called)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Shadow Red said:
No way am I buying it from Ignition. I'd go for Aksys too since they have experience with fighting games.

KOFXII's problems had nothing to do with Ignition. I'm ok with it, though yeah, Aksus, Atlus, or even THQ would have been better.

At least Activision didn't buy SNK.

rvy

Banned
arstal said:
KOFXII's problems had nothing to do with Ignition. I'm ok with it, though yeah, Aksus, Atlus, or even THQ would have been better.

At least Activision didn't buy SNK.
KOFXI. That is all.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
rvy said:
KOFXI. That is all.

Good thing XI was published by SNKPUSA in the US, we got some awesome art!

But Ignition US has done a good job with KOF98UM and KOFXII, marketing was great. Boxart would had been better though. =/
I hated the fact that they place both French and English text in the boxart. Nothing against French, but it looked lazy and cheap having both languages.

panda21

? do ignition do the arcade -> console port or something? i thought the actual game was entirely down to SNK? why does it matter if ignition publishes it?

rvy

Banned
panda21 said:
? do ignition do the arcade -> console port or something? i thought the actual game was entirely down to SNK? why does it matter if ignition publishes it?
Read my previous post. Play KOF XI, the PAL version, and you'll find out. I can tell you the least of its problems is Tizoc being called Mai.

TreIII

rvy said:
Read my previous post. Play KOF XI, the PAL version, and you'll find out. I can tell you the least of its problems is Tizoc being called Mai.

:lol

But yeah, we'll see. I was hoping for THQ personally.

arstal said:
I'd settle for SFIV netcode right now. Thankfully I'll have an offline scene that actually knows what it's doing though.

Yeah i have whole bunch of people to play off line with but still hope net codes at least as good as SF4.
It's fun playing with Gaf even if the game have some lag.

*Still praying for some decent netcode*

I'm getting to the point of being tried of reading everyone's insight. I'm really hoping for the chance see it up close and personal (online)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Now I get to give this question my own truthful, personal answer...
"Warning! Warning! A Giant Text Block 'Great Thing' is approaching fast!"

GrayfoxPL said:
Does anyone else think that SNKP devs are going too far with graphical, last minute, tweaks of NeoMaxes and other moves?

Only slightly, but it doesn't bother me. Your biggest example, Ryo, doesn't really LOSE anything from one to the other (IMHO), and I don't think any of the modifications are as sloppy as some think.

When I think of sloppy last-minute supers and the like, I think of reused animation frames, non-animated special effects, and hits that happen at awkward times, that seem to have no sense pacing or rhythm. I don't really feel any of those here.

I can agree with the slashes on Iori's Neomax, they do look blotchy, I truly hope they smooth it out before release. The red and black effect however? Truthfully, I love it. Better than when he had the same effect for his LDM in XI, as the fade to original background color seems better.

On Mai's Neomax... Y'know what? Her motions remind me of the flow of a Calligraphy brush, writing the Kanji. The way she turn at the bend in the first "ku" symbol, the straight shots for the other strokes... And that'll all punctuated by a new angle on her most popular victory pose, flames once flickering lige ghostly after-images, now igniting onto a massive "KuNoIchi" symbol, which not only means, "Female Ninja" but also, broken down, means "Talented Woman". (And the fire means she's hot, too. :lol ) No multi-hits drilling through the body, no awkward flames left on the person at different points (Like the KoF XI/2002 version), no overdone butt shots and overly provocative stances... all you get as a bonus, is that after the "Nippon Ichi!" initial pose... she bounces even MORE as the opponent falls. Amazing what explosions can do! (-_-; )

At any rate, all the other tweaks, such as Raiden's lighting (Man, lightning on a guy named Raiden, on a move that's a Lightning Lariat... That's unfitting!....), The Blue waves forming into Terry's fist with Trinity Geyser (I like this personally), The Sparks on Roberts (They are a bit big, but I still think I dislike his EXDM ending animation more than spark size), the lines for Clark's LEAP and Fall (I really prefer it with these. The other version seems horrible), Goro's reanimated effects (SO much better than first shown)... I think they've accomplished their goal. People online who thought there was no way SNKP's 2D moves could excite them as much as Capcom's Ultras... are getting excited over these moves.

I really think the size and power of these effects will help bring in that Anime-loving audience, which we all attribute to helping Blazblue gain it's success. Even SNKP's sloppiest effect work still has some strong elements of timing, and properly made tribute, behind it. It's less the different between a hackjob and a masterpiece, and more so the difference between a big budget TV series, and a big budget motion picture. Still well timed and animated, yet you know it could be better with more refinement.

Personally, when I purchased KoF XII, and saw the fantastic dramatic pauses, and specific focus on old-school impact with things like Counterhits and Deadlock, I kinda knew this was a rare treat. As net denizens started to call the game slow, and call the jumps floaty and such, I knew the likelyhood of me seeing things remain this way, was slim. As people bemoaned the zoom, due to seeing "Jaggies", I think at that time, I knew I'd be pouring a drink onto a curb for lost friends soon enough... XD SNKP had to change their focus a bit, in order to pull in even a fraction of those "casual" fighting game fans.

On the character animation front, NM's still continue to be much more original than I expected them to be (Gotta see Kula's now... betting on focus of Foxy and Diana animation, which I'm happy about). There are barely any reused animation frames in a majority of them, very, very little special effect re-use, and most look to actually add a new, useful move to the characters repertoire, that gives them new offensive/defensive options. The fact they added all these new animations, as well as new normals for every character, taunts, unique special effects for each max, and brand new everything for the new characters, really seems quite impressive.

I'm also highly suprised that they seem to have made Hwa Jai and Vice well enough to not feel like "Cheap swaps". SFIV's shotos feel less unique than Clark to Ralf, Any of the Kyokugen, Vice to Mature, and maybe even Hwa to Joe (need to see that tech ref!). You see very few "Waste of space!" comments, and more and more "That character is gonna be my MAIN!" comments around the web every day, regarding these potential offenders.

So, in closing (FINALLY, eh?), I continue to be impress, all things considered. With the reactions they're gaining, the decisions they're making, and the lengths they've been able to reach within this timeframe. Even with the corners that might have been cut, the effects that might not be exactly what I want, at the end of the day, I find no other upcoming release holds my attention like this one. EX moves actually look like they ADD to characters, and give ALL characters optional moves to deal with their worse weaknesses, which makes it feel like every character is made with real TLC, from people whom understand that XIII's system isn't 98UM's, XI's, or 2k2s. Noone looks "left behind" or forgotten, noone looks like they got more attention than the others. This might be the only non re-balance of a fighter than I feel that way for, off the bat. It's quite satisfying, expecially since I feel more and more that Capcom didn't know what they hell they were doing with certain characters in SSFIV... (And I'm not even going to talk about the "12 different designers, all for one game!" feel of Blazblue: CT!)
I have much higher hopes for CS, though nothing I've seen about it leads me as to WHY I do...

Now, bring on Team K' Neomax's, and Team Kim's Tech Refs!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
IMO I don't mind Ryo extra effect, I like it even more! It looks so powerful now, before with that extra effect it looked like a normal punch that caused a lot of damage.

The only change that bothered me more was Takuma, I loved how in his NeoMAX before on hit you technically disappear of the screen due to how fast he was, I thought that was awesome. :lol

I can understand the zoom when he lands, but when he goes up, that ZOOM and pause kinda killed the effect on the NeoMAX IMO. Also his EX fireball, It suppose to be like his KOF2002 invisible fireball, instead we get a weird looking teleportation fireball that appears in front of you. Looks odd, kinda wish it didn't had a KI effect, more like a IMAGE DISTORTION effect to let you know something was there.

So IMO I think Takuma got the worst of this situation.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
I can understand the zoom when he lands, but when he goes up, that ZOOM and pause kinda killed the effect on the NeoMAX IMO. Also his EX fireball, It suppose to be like his KOF2002 invisible fireball, instead we get a weird looking teleportation fireball that appears in front of you. Looks odd, kinda wish it didn't had a KI effect, more like a IMAGE DISTORTION effect to let you know something was there.

So IMO I think Takuma got the worst of this situation.

I have to imagine you'll get your "Hey look, screw impact, I'mma TAKIN YO'ARSE TO SPACE!" effect with Takuma, when he uses the moves as an anti-air aganist high jumps.

Hadn't noticed a teleporting ki-blast with his invisi-blast, will have to go back and watch for that.

Hey, were's our colorful translation of Hwa Jai & Friends website dialog? :lol Hwa got a "special tonic buzz" mid-translation, and scared everyone off?

Bonus: Oh, I must say, I think Kyo's Neomax looks much better with the BIGGER FLAMES! When you could see the tops of them on screen, it just felt... like fire as on a plane in front of Kyo, and really shouldn't make any difference.

Now that they look like they Blanket the entire screen height, it's more of a "He's blowing the entire area up!"-type of feeling, which finally makes (some?) sense.

I still like the idea that he's tossing out KoF "R"-stamped invites to people, in a "Come. Enjoy. Die by my hand!" type of way. He's had a habit of lighting those things on fire, y'know.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
I have to imagine you'll get your "Hey look, screw impact, I'mma TAKIN YO'ARSE TO SPACE!" effect with Takuma, when he uses the moves as an anti-air aganist high jumps.

Hadn't noticed a teleporting ki-blast with his invisi-blast, will gave to go back and watch for that.

Hey, were's our colorful translation of Hwa Jai & Friends website dialog? :lol Hwa got a "special tonic buzz" mid-translation, and scared everyone off?

Waiting for the a guy to do the translations so I can translate from that. :lol

I don't know shit about Japanese language, I know Spanish so I'm doing Spanish to English translations and then add it to the art and stuff. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Waiting for the a guy to do the translations so I can translate from that. :lol

I don't know shit about Japanese language, I know Spanish so I'm doing Spanish to English translations and then add it to the art and stuff. :lol

Well tell the specsInk guys to hurry up! :D But seriously, no probs ^_^ Most of the translation we're getting from this game seem like "Team" efforts... just know your part in the chain is appreciated!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SAB CA said:
Well tell the specsInk guys to hurry up! :D But seriously, no probs ^_^ Most of the translation we're getting from this game seem like "Team" efforts... just know your part in the chain is appreciated!

No problem, is also fun, at least they are not as task heavily as a Story translation, did it ones... not doing it again. :lol

Also helps to add hits to my site. :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Still no K Team NeoMAX, IIRC the KIM team blog said that THIS Thursday we will see K Team blog. I hope they translated it correctly. =/

On the mean time, lets see if Ichiki wins or loses. :lol

EDIT: OH SNAP! ASH DOES GERMINE (sp)!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I cannot lie... Germinal DM looked frickin' sweet. Did almost no damage, but it sealed Kyo's special moves entirely, so... "Omae wa mō... shindeiru!" in that case...

Bonus: Look at 10:15 seconds into the video, as Ryo's KO'd form is on the floor... is that AoF-style Blood on his face?!?

Yuri and King got back their special KO's, so maybe they gave him a beat up face KO, as well?

NEOMAX'S AND TECH REFS ARE UP!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I know!! CHECKING THEM OUT! :D

EDIT: *looks at K NeoMAX* :O
NEOMAX MOVES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZFk9pUCK8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDy5Xrk5W8o

TECH REF EP 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUwnGP_HGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1GSnHwA-A

EDIT2:

Oh wow, you are right! Ryo has bruises and blood on him! That is awesome! Another AOF reference!

I also notice in K NeoMAX video, K throws his glasses and then when he hits the opponent his glasses are spinning in the air and he grabs them like nothing. So fucking badass! :D

-DarKaoZ- said:
I know!! CHECKING THEM OUT! :D

EDIT: *looks at K NeoMAX* :O
NEOMAX MOVES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDy5Xrk5W8o

TECH REF EP 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUwnGP_HGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1GSnHwA-A

EDIT2:

Oh wow, you are right! Ryo has bruises and blood on him! That is awesome! Another AOF reference!

I also notice in K NeoMAX video, K throws his glasses and then when he hits the opponent his glasses are spinning in the air and he grabs them like nothing. So fucking badass! :D

You got the Neomaxes down - just replace the third link with Kula- you have two links to the same K' Neomax. But still love the promptness with the links. I don't check the website or anything, I just refresh the thread hoping Kaoz haz the links.

On another note-

Kim looks so badass. Such a good time to be a king of fighters fan. This game has a lot of potential with the combos- and the Neomaxes look great. The sprites look fantastic. What more can I say? I'm sold already.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:

I am convinced that SNKP is in love with AoF. I don't blame them! Terry still doesn't lose his hat when KO'd! XD

K' catching his glasses for Chain Drive is really, really, a nice attention to detail. "Ikuze!", freakin' stylish.

If Japan isn't getting pumped up by this release, then just invite me (or each person on these US forums!), and we'll each play the role of 10 crazed Japanese fans (provided they pay us for it. XD) The Tech refs aren't teaching us EVERYTHING about the game, but the amount they show make it all look so open, and fun to play. Dull looking gameplay in this game, is a fault of the player, and not the engine... it really seems to let you play as dynamically as you wish, and the execution/risk/reward balance looks rather approachable.

Of course, this does nothing to say how balanced it is... and we've seen some pretty strong stuff. That's an easily worrysome spot, and that'll only start to really be tested when we see trial-by-fire real playing.

But what's there, on it's own, looks like a really solid effort.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
atomiswave said:
You got the Neomaxes down - just replace the third link with Kula- you have two links to the same K' Neomax.

You know, I'm convinced KaoZ did that on purpose! ...DarK,
I do not blame you![/quote]:lol

Neomaxes look great. The sprites look fantastic. What more can I say? I'm sold already.

-nodnod-

gundamkyoukai said:
Awesome and seeing that guy play Athena good was great .
Seeing this game play by people who can play just makes the wait worst .

From the first minutes of that vid, you could tell it was going to be fun to watch. I was actually disappointed when the final "winner" screen came up, as there was a lot of nice stuff in those fights! (Kyo landing EX triple kicks after aerial Orochi Nagi = Existence of a.ON finally justified!)

SAB CA said:
From the first minutes of that vid, you could tell it was going to be fun to watch. I was actually disappointed when the final "winner" screen came up, as there was a lot of nice stuff in those fights! (Kyo landing EX triple kicks after aerial Orochi Nagi = Existence of a.ON finally justified!)

yep after i see him do that i was think about how to do my own combos.
Same when Athena did that long ass corner combo.
Going spend a fair amount of time just fooling around with all that stuff.
Thank god KOF XIII don't damage scale like another game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
K' NeoMax is so awesome.

And since were talkin' about Ryo NeoMax... im not a fan of the new explosion FX but... think about it as Ryo punching a Haoh Shou Ko Ken. Pretty badass huh?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Hwa Jai looks hard to use- but may be a good Malin replacement. (I miss Malin and Oswald- those two DESERVE to be in this)

Raiden- not a fan of the lightning on the Neomax.

BTW if my matches end up looking interesting, then it's impossible for the game to look dull.

That Tougeki vid, that Athena was awesome, but wonder how to punish predictable butt bomb into B phoenix arrow, as he did it every time. Backdash? DP, EX move on block?
I enjoyed seeing a keepout player though instead of all the rushdown.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
atomiswave said:
You got the Neomaxes down - just replace the third link with Kula- you have two links to the same K' Neomax. But still love the promptness with the links. I don't check the website or anything, I just refresh the thread hoping Kaoz haz the links.

Oh snap, sorry, it was late at night. Just posted links here with out seen. I mean it was 4 am when I saw all this. :lol

Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmD0cQPIucw

Will have Kim and AOF team countdown dialogs up today BTW.

TreIII

Gyat damn, Hwa Jai looks fun. If I wasn't convinced to have him on my "primary force" of Beni and Joe before, I definitely am now. "Lightning, Tigers and Dragons, Oh My!" :lol :lol

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
Now I get to give this question my own truthful, personal answer...
"Warning! Warning! A Giant Text Block 'Great Thing' is approaching fast!"

[/B]

"Mm..Meditation. Meditation."

To be honest I don't share Frankfurts view that neomaxes look "sloppy". I liked hsdm's. The special effects look fine by themselves. It's the overall tweaking of them that bothers me. Sometimes they add too much cream on already finished cake, you know?

About Ryo's. The beauty of that move was that it was that pure and powerfull karate punch. But no, they had to add huge energy explosion. Most of the impact is gone too. Here are the two versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYTuYwmmf6Q#t=3m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cub--0zXs1s

The second one seems just slower, less powerful with unnessesary flash.

I know devs are fiddling with speed of animation for moves, they said so numerous times in those blog things. I think they messed with this move too.

Some of the new version neomaxes are improved, like Raiden's or Terry!

I guess it's the matter of taste. Here I noticed that non of us share the same views on Neomaxes.

DarKaoZ complains about Takuma's - I actually think they made it a lot better. :lol

This on the side. Other thing I'm afraid of is that weak and strong versions of specials will lose some of their unique characteristics in favor of ex moves.

TreIII

GrayFoxPL said:
This on the side. Other thing I'm afraid of is that weak and strong versions of specials will lose some of their unique characteristics in favor of ex moves.

I don't see it the same way. Then again, I'm an old Vampire Savior-head. :lol

But really, all the EXes do, in a nutshell, is just give yet another option to use. If the game is truly well made, weaks, strongs and EXes should all be viable tools to use, as each would have their +/-'s that would need to be considered for the sake of any situation. KOFXIII does that much, and it's golden, in my opinion. :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GrayFoxPL said:
"Mm..Meditation. Meditation."About Ryo's. The beauty of that move was that it was that pure and powerfull karate punch. But no, they had to add huge energy explosion. Most of the impact is gone too.

-nod- Yeah, can understand it feeling overdone, I think it works especially well for me, because it remind me of old school anime (where SNKP gets like... everything, lol.) That master-level blow that hits so hard that the imact and shockwave destroys everything BEYOND the target, not doing much obvious external physical damage, but the fact that the trees bowed to the residual force, lets you know that was a hell of a blow... then generally one expected the collapse of the victim.

Actually, the smoke in the "old one" seems to suggest the special animation they have for when the move whiffs... I wonder if the "killing blow" from the old one might have been seen as a whiff? I guess it will use that animation when it hits blockers, too...

Other thing I'm afraid of is that weak and strong versions of specials will lose some of their unique characteristics in favor of ex moves.

Yeah, I worried that too, but they seem to be increasing them.

Terry seems to have a Short range, combo-happy power wave (kinda like roundwave/ff1), a distanced full-screen power wave, then the slow "ground crawl sonic boom" EX version.

Ryo seems to have more Zanretsuken ending variations than ever, An uppercut, a straight punch, and the EX auto combo,

Elisabeth's "pose" counter now has a high variety (where she tilts her head back) and a low one (where she moves her forward-most leg back just a bit.).

Joe Higashi has a unique animation for weak and strong hurricane uppers, with the EX using both motions to shoot out all 3.

If you mean things like "invincibility" or "strong hits overhead" then yeah, I think we are getting some very powerful bonus to abilities in XII shifted around. But compared to pre XII, I think everything will feel the same or better.

Since they made a lot of animations for EX's and such, when it comes to animation, they seem to have spread some of the frames around, to make it so that old moves that where too similiar, now have variations, where there was very little, or none, beforehand.

Oh, while speaking on animation, I have to say... Kula's facial animations are really cute! The single closed eye as she does her close C, the kinda shy downward look before she does freeze execution... she has a lot of expression in her moves, and I'm glad to see her close her hands occassionally, too (easily seen at end of her Neomax vid.)

And then in opposition to that, Maxima has the most expression I've EVER seen him have. He makes some vicious faces when fighting now! I also like the blue glow they added to her Vapor Cannon, and on the back of his feet as he jets a person across the stage; The art suggested glows on him, before the sprite did, nice to see them consistent. And they way he straightens his jacket after the NM, is just class.

And the Ryo Bloody & Bruised KO face, seen in the Tougeki vid, really makes me hope for such effects to be spready to at least a few non AoF characters...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Thanks again to Wesker and Terry_La_Caza from speksnk.org for the Spanish translations, I hope me and my cousin did a good job in doing the English translations.

Since Kim dialog was indeed tricky, we try to make Hwa and Raiden sound like they are tricking Kim. Because well... that is what they are basically doing. :lol

Poor Kim, trick by Choi and Chang first, now he is been trick by Hwa and Raiden. :lol

Anyways enjoy!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
100708.jpg

(You'll probably be able to find this in visual form on
imnextonline.com
soon!:lol)

The awesome SonicTempest said:
俺一人で十分だ!It's the K' team.

- First off, they open up the last character blog entry by stating that there's a lot of stuff they haven't talked about, like special animations for certain moves that only activate a small percentage of the time, taunts and...Mature and Vice's underwear. Uh, right.

K'
- They designed K' so that he wouldn't feel too weird to use. They reluctantly left out his instant Narrow Spike ( qcb + B or D immediately after qcb + B or D ) because they felt it was a little too powerful.
- He's a character who's most powerful at long- and mid-range. He plays pretty similarly to his previous versions so K' fans should have no trouble picking him up.
- They made sure to make his flames have a different, more violent appearance than Kyo's.
- EX Crow Bites ( dp + AC ) is basically his KOF2003/XI Heaven's Drive DM, and it can be used for similar things like interrupting block strings and combos.
- EX Chain Drive ( qcf,hcb + AC ) has a really cool animation.
- His NeoMAX is 'Hyper Chain Drive' ( hcb x2 + AC ), where he creates a giant flame pillar around himself. Good to use for anti-air or combos - feels particularly good to MAX Cancel into it from Heat Drive ( qcf x2 + A or C ).
- K' has had a bunch of endings where he removes his red glove at the end of the game, so they wanted to have a move that had his glove as the focal point. They had tons of ideas like having a move that would have his right hand continue to burn after a heat drive and make all his flame moves more powerful, or a move that they saw in the HK comics where K' lands from the air and punches the ground, causing cracks to appear in his glove, and so on. If you K.O. someone with his NeoMAX you'll be able to see his glove shatter after he does the move.
- The whole K' team has a ton of effects on their moves so it caused a lot of problems during development. K' in particular was a problem, with his Chain Drive animation being something they fussed over a lot. K' was originally supposed to fight without his sunglasses on like before, but when they were designing his moves, they heard from the original designer of K' from KOF'99 that the original Chain Drive move didn't match its source material very well (which was a certain movie). Because of this they had to go back and redesign the move, and because of this they ended up adding sunglasses to K's sprite. Apparently even the animation where the sunglasses rebound off the opponent was a picky point for them.
- Apparently K' has a color scheme that they haven't shown off yet, too.

MAXIMA
- Unlike K' and Kula, Maxima has changed a fair bit in this instalment. Because there were a bunch of other grapplers in the game they decided to make Maxima into a character that uses his autoguard to bulldoze the opponent into submission. This is also why his animations and effects look more mecha-like.
- They made Douple Vapor Cannon ( qcf x2 + A or C ) a juggle anywhere move ONLY when it's super cancelled from Vapor Cannon ( qcb + A or C ) because of how good it looked (lol).
- He's supposed to be the foremost power character in the game, with relatively few combos but very satisfying single hits.
- EX Blitz Cannon ( dp + BD ) has autoguard from startup and will continue to execute if someone tries to hit him during the autoguard frames. Also unlike the regular version, there's a hitbox on his knee, so this will connect against grounded opponents as well.
- EX mid-air Vapor Cannon ( qcb + AC in mid-air) preserves Maxima's jump trajectory and does 3 hits. If you manage to land it just before Maxima lands you have enough frame advantage to throw out another attack.
- His NeoMAX is 'Maxima Laser' ( hcb x2 + AC ). It goes full screen, is pretty much impossible to jump over and will do a fair amount of tick damage even if it's blocked. It's the ultimate move to stop the opponent in his tracks.
- Apparently the effects on his laser were so large that the programmers had trouble dealing with it (rofl).
- They purposely tried to make him look more 'high-tech' - even his face was redrawn to look like the cranium of an android from various science fiction sources. He was the character whose sprites gave the artists the most headaches.

KULA
- Kula is pretty close to her previous versions - even the designer who worked on her is the same one who originally drew her back in KOF2000.
- They added a lot of little details to her sprite like her flexing her fingers, yawning, blinking and so on.
- EX Diamond Breath ( qcf + AC ) puts the opponent in an extended stun animation during which Kula can do followup attacks (how is this any different from the C version?)
- EX Lay Spin ( qcb + BD ) has invincibility all the way up until the attack comes out, making it a good move to use to avoid an opponent's attack and smack them one.
- Her NeoMAX is 'Neo Freeze Execution' ( hcb x2 +BD ). It's used the same way as her regular Freeze Execution but Foxy and Diana come out during the attack. Apparently the butterfly and bee effects that appear in the move were drawn by Yamaguchi himself.
- They wanted the move to have the appearance of an aurora, which is why it's so colourful.

Hmmm, wonder if we'll see Mature and Vice with special KO animations now... Kula's sprite designer being the same person from the past makes sense. K' canceling into instant Narrow Spikes would have been really stong. Already looks like he has a nice distance game with juggling with the move after qcf+A, f+D, qcf+D (hit) qcf+D again, DP+C, f+C anywho, and none of that takes meter... (o_O ) (As seen in his neomax vid.)

Maxima's Anti-Air throw can be used as a ground throw when EX'd, and gets loads of guardpoints... heh heh, I like the sound of that.

Korigama

- EX Diamond Breath ( qcf + AC ) puts the opponent in an extended stun animation during which Kula can do followup attacks (how is this any different from the C version?)

In response to this, the enemy eventually recovers from the C version, while the EX version causes crumple stun (based on the combo from the Neomax vid).

Surprised that her original designer is still there (interesting either way).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Korigama said:
In response to this, the enemy eventually recovers from the C version, while the EX version causes crumple stun (based on the combo from the Neomax vid).

Surprised that her original designer is still there (interesting either way).

-nod- Yeah, crumple looks useful in entirely new (Midscreen friendly) ways, compared to slow, juggleable knock-back.

Her original designer being there really helps explain why she has such cute expressions within all her moves. It's great to see the person who knows the character origin and intent best, bringing her into higher-definition glory!

Top Bottom