• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ezalc said:
I'm a fighting game noob, but this game looks really fun. Should I hype for this?

KOF, to me, has most of the freeflow that Blazblue has, but much easier execution then BB. No links in KOF outside of a few chars, it's mostly chains and buffers, which I prefer.

Try KOF2k2 on GGPO or XBLA next week, then imagine much better graphics- 2k2 is probably the KOF closest to XIII.

XIII does have some balance problems though, unsure how severe though. Don't think it's as bad as BBCT though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ezalc said:
I'm a fighting game noob, but this game looks really fun. Should I hype for this?
Ok kiddo, imagine making sweet love to Monica Bellucci while Eva Green watches ... because thats KOF! :lol

KOF is not execution heavy like SFIV, instead of 'footsies' you have 'hopsies' (KOF has 5 different types of jumps!), gameplay is fast and theres lots of rushdown.
And lets not talk about the awesome 2D art and characters that ooze personality.

Fersis said:
Ok kiddo, imagine making sweet love to Monica Bellucci while Eva Green watches ... because thats KOF! :lol

You are my favorite person now.

Monica Bellucci is the sexist woman alive IMO. To think I almost got to meet her.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Phoenix Fang said:
You are my favorite person now.

Monica Bellucci is the sexist woman alive IMO. To think I almost got to meet her.
Yes she is.

I doubt you could handle her hotness though.

Ezalc

Awesome I'll keep an eye on this then. I got to play KOF I think it was 11 or something a while back. I had a lot of fun with it.

Fersis

Ezalc said:
Awesome I'll keep an eye on this then. I got to play KOF I think it was 11 or something a while back. I had a lot of fun with it.
KOFXI is my favorite. :D
You have good taste sir.

Acosta

Fersis said:
This so called 'Oni-Con' is in a couple of days... mmhhmhmhm i wonder if SNKP is going to announce it there.

Anyway... GET MOTHER EFFIN HYPE!

HYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TreIII

YES. At the risk of sounding tripe...

"MY BODY IS READY." It's been ready since XII, but that was mulligan on SNK's part! :lol

Fersis

TreIII said:
YES. At the risk of sounding tripe...

"MY BODY IS READY." It's been ready since XII, but that was mulligan on SNK's part! :lol

Nah, it was a test.. they were testing our love to know if we were worthy of KOFXIII !!!!

@________@

shaowebb

So long as this game has a boss and LESS GLITCHES then it should be fine by me...also speed it up. The last game felt slow by normal KOF standards.

Ok kiddo, imagine making sweet love to Monica Bellucci while Eva Green watches ... because thats KOF!

KOF is not execution heavy like SFIV, instead of 'footsies' you have 'hopsies' (KOF has 5 different types of jumps!), gameplay is fast and theres lots of rushdown.
And lets not talk about the awesome 2D art and characters that ooze personality.

What a wonderful metaphor. I would say that KoF is like that hole-in-the-wall restaurant that provides AMAZING food like no one else, but because it's hidden and obscured and more people would rather eat at a more familiar, but more mediocre place like Denny's (Capcom). The hole-in-the-wall place gets so ignored you fear it'll close down despite your best efforts to support it.

Whew, anyway, even as a more casual fighting game fan that doesn't know ALL the ins and outs of fighters, their characters are so full of style and class, it's a wonder to me, sometimes, how Capcom's come up on top (for the record, I don't hate Capcom or anything, I just think, as far as fighters go, SNK is just all around better than Capcom, but I see it as a Marvel over DC kind of thing).

And well, pardon me for gushing, but I'm so hyped and ready for XIII's release. :D I'm still contemplating on buying a 360 SOLELY for SNK's XBLA titles (among a couple other exclusives)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Fersis said:
KOFXI is my favorite. :D
You have good taste sir.

Man I hope the console version has a tag mode. It's hard for me to go back to the slow pace of round-based KOF.

shaowebb said:
So long as this game has a boss and LESS GLITCHES then it should be fine by me...also speed it up. The last game felt slow by normal KOF standards.

No worries there. SNK bosses (plural) return in full force. :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Choppasmith said:
What a wonderful metaphor. I would say that KoF is like that hole-in-the-wall restaurant that provides AMAZING food like no one else, but because it's hidden and obscured and more people would rather eat at a more familiar, but more mediocre place like Denny's (Capcom). The hole-in-the-wall place gets so ignored you fear it'll close down despite your best efforts to support it.

Whew, anyway, even as a more casual fighting game fan that doesn't know ALL the ins and outs of fighters, their characters are so full of style and class, it's a wonder to me, sometimes, how Capcom's come up on top (for the record, I don't hate Capcom or anything, I just think, as far as fighters go, SNK is just all around better than Capcom, but I see it as a Marvel over DC kind of thing).

Oh, that hole in the wall is Mexican. ^_^

Capcom succeeded due to gettting in there first in the US, and not as many MVS's making it to the US. Then, the death knell was SamSho3, which killed the MVS in the US since the game was THAT bad. Seriously, it made KOF12 look like Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. Also, Japan took to the Fatal Fury series in a way US folks didn't, which also hurt. Americans preferred SamSho, which wasn't as big in Japan.

BTW, KOFXI was an anomaly speedwise, that game was 10 star hyper fighting speed- way too fast for my tastes. KOFXII was a little slow for my tastes, 98UM was about right- but a little too slow for most KOF fans. (then again, 98 actually had a ground game)

shaowebb said:
So long as this game is sped up. The last game felt slow by normal KOF standards.
From watching vids and testimonials it actually looks faster in general. The movement is very different spacing wise to previous KOF's. Iori's jump D's are even faster than kof98. :lol

Fersis

Choppasmith said:

And well, pardon me for gushing, but I'm so hyped and ready for XIII's release. :D I'm still contemplating on buying a 360 SOLELY for SNK's XBLA titles (among a couple other exclusives)
Easy, Capcom used stereotypes.

SNK had a mandate that every non boss or special character should be dress with 'real clothing'.
Iori,Rugal,Yashiro,Shermie,Blue Mary,Leona,Terry,Geese,Goenitz,Orochi... incredible designs.

On the other hand you have GG and BB... and everyone knows what i think about their designs.

Yeah yeah im biased, KOF and Garou 4 LIFE!

Finaika

KOF's characters wear clothes that are the latest in Japanese fashion. It isn't surprising to see people wearing similar clothes to Iori or Mai walking around the street of Tokyo.

Fersis

Finaika said:
KOF's characters wear clothes that are the latest in Japanese fashion. It isn't surprising to see people wearing similar clothes to Iori or Mai walking around the street of Tokyo.
I once read that SNK used the fashion stores of a particular japanese district.
(Dont remember the name)

I want to dress like Yashiro and Iori !!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Fersis said:

That's exactly what I say when friends ask me about KOF. You can't shoehorn it's cast into archetypes like "the sumo," "the wrestler," "the boxer," or "the stoic martial artist."

Finaika said:

airplane.gif

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
luka said:
That's exactly what I say when friends ask me about KOF. You can't shoehorn it's cast into archetypes like "the sumo," "the wrestler," "the boxer," or "the stoic martial artist."

airplane.gif

Hinako, Raiden, Heavy D!, Andy.

LOL.

Fersis

arstal said:
Hinako, Raiden, Heavy D!, Andy.

LOL.
E. Honda Vs Hinako
Balrog Vs Heavy D! (Even the name is cool)

Though i was talking about 'graphical character design', i divide 'character design' in 3 parts:

1) Graphical Design: How the character looks
2) Personality Design: His personality.
3) Gameplay Design: What kind of character is, which moves it has,etc.

Thats my recipe for character design. ·____.

Now, unlike a lot of other people here in this topic, I only got into SNK less than a decade ago with CVS2. I had NO idea who these SNK guys were except for the FF guys (Mai, Joe, and Terry from watching FF:The Motion Picture late at night a few years prior) and I was at least lucky to recognize Haohmaru and Nakoruru from SS since that was like the ONLY Arcade game in my little town. But what struck me about the SNK characters is that they just had a certain "edge" to them. Like what MK does with it's over the top gore, but cooler.

I mean seriously, could you imagine my reaction for seeing things like Iori's Maiden Masher for the first time? (and keep in mind CVS doesn't even have blood) That stuff's just awesome! I then began to notice NO ONE on Capcom's side had anything that really matched up (aside from maybe a couple exceptions, most characters' supers are pretty much just some kind of high damaging variation of a special move (punch, kick, grapple, or fireball) To sum up, Capcom characters really lack the "oomph" in their moves.

When SFIV came out, they used 3D graphics to have these Cinematic finishers, but it seemed like such a cop-out. I was thinking "Gee Capcom, you finally do in 3D what SNK has been doing in 2D for years. Classy." And let's not forget the new characters, namely El Fuerte and C. Viper.

Anyway, sorry if I derailed the thread, but SNK characters will always have, more oomph, more style, more SHEER AWESOMENESS than the vast majority of Street Fighter. They've really tapped into that sweet spot. They're not tame like Capcom (yeah Fuck you Seth K.), they're not a showcase for gore like MK, and they're not overly wacky Animu like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
No worries about derailing here. This thread is about KOF HYPE! (and there's not actually a whole lot to talk about)

And everything you say is absolutely correct. I remember playing Art of Fighting and being absolutely floored by how brutal it was. People got bruised and deformed with each blow, and everything felt so visceral and meaty. In SSF4 they added super combos with flashy sunburst effects when used as finishers, but it just felt so lame in comparison. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Since it hasn't been mentioned here, should have some Vids from the Arcade Infinity guys by weeks end from their latest tourney (On Oct 23rd). New HD tourney goodness? In the 16 person tourney, all 31 characters show up (Yay Character Ration system!) so hopin to see some fresh stuff for the lesser-used cast members.

On the SNK-capcom.com news, this is exactly the kinda stuff I wanna hear about SNKP. Promote some cons, get the game in front of fans, step up your presence... all sounds perfect, right along a potential release window. Hope that ends up being early, like Jan or Feb. Good time before MAHHH-Vel, give it some time for people to get comfortably addicted.

And on SNK's characters... yeah, I've always loved how into their characters they are, and all the OOMPH their moves have. I never think of SNK "Ranbu" supers as being a bunch of normal hits... they really seem unique, and the voicework for these moves really makes you feel how HYPE it all is. "Ora, Ora, Ora!" If Ryu's "Metsu... Hadouken!" is a super, A Hao Sho Koken is a super taken to 12. SDM's in things like 98 are so PAINFUL and DRAMATIC, they really make you feel like the opponents should NOT be getting up after that. And when do you ever see someone in SF pull off something like Leona's SDM Rebel Spark?

The large movelist of KoF keep characters from getting pidgeonhole'd into 1 basic play style, and offers some nice suprises compared to SF. No such thing as a proxy unblockable in SF! Running throws, a multitude of aerial supers (not just 2 or 3 per game), attack-throws, unique derived moves branching off specials, the ability for grapplers to combo into grapples, and moves with autoguard/guard point frames... there's just so many unique qualities! It really helps the gameplay variety, even in the "all rushdown, ALL THE TIME!" mentality of something like KoF.

Fersis said:

SNK had a mandate that every non boss or special character should be dress with 'real clothing'.
Iori,Rugal,Yashiro,Shermie,Blue Mary,Leona,Terry,Geese,Goenitz,Orochi... incredible designs.

On the other hand you have GG and BB... and everyone knows what i think about their designs.

Yeah yeah im biased, KOF and Garou 4 LIFE!

To be fair, SNK had some crappy distribution in the West. Plus the home versions released here up until a few years ago were crap on SNES and Playstation (glorious Saturn versions left in Japan to rot).

If I wanted to play KoF I had to import it for my Saturn. Meanwhile I never saw a Neo Geo machine in the wild with ANY flavor of KoF. Half the time it was that god damned Super Spy game. I don't think the vendors realized they could swap out carts/boards to replace the games. :(

Fersis

I sent a mail to SNKP US asking for PSN releases. :lol

The answer was a classic PR response:

We'll try our best to bring our NEOGEO titles on PSN as soon as possible.
Thanks again for all of your support to SNK games!

Theres no doubt that Garou,KOF98UM,02UM would be day one for me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
2002 UM hits XBLA next week!! :D Who's getting it?

The Take Out Bandit said:
To be fair, SNK had some crappy distribution in the West. Plus the home versions released here up until a few years ago were crap on SNES and Playstation (glorious Saturn versions left in Japan to rot).

If I wanted to play KoF I had to import it for my Saturn. Meanwhile I never saw a Neo Geo machine in the wild with ANY flavor of KoF. Half the time it was that god damned Super Spy game. I don't think the vendors realized they could swap out carts/boards to replace the games. :(

Let's be fair again here...the Saturn versions of the KOF games weren't so hot either. :p

But I guess I have some bias since I was a Neo-Geo AES/Neo CD owner back then. It's too bad that SNK never licensed the 4MB RAM cart, because then their Saturn ports would have been perfect. Since they only took advantage of the 1MB RAM cart, there were slowdown issues and shitty voice/sound effect quality on most KOF home ports.

Samurai Spirits III and KOF '95 were their best Saturn ports, IMO. Also on the Playstation side of things, some of their better ports never got American releases. Real Bout Fatal Fury was a great port (the most noticeable thing missing was that they removed one win pose animation from everyone, but it still had better sound quality than the Saturn port) and despite the heavy animation cuts, Samurai Spirits IV Special still played smoother than SSIV Saturn did. I also love what they did with Real Bout Special, essentially making a new version of the game with Dominated Mind.

And then there were issues with some of the Dreamcast ports too. Either them not being perfect ports (stuff removed), slower speed, and in Garou's case, sound issues. I still usually sold off AES carts and replaced them with the DC/PS2 ports though, KOF '98 and 2002 aside.

Glad those days are over, and glad that most of the PS2 Neo-Geo collections are very well done. Too bad the Last Blade one sucked. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And those who are getting 2002UM, don't hesitate to drop by our Semi-OT about it! :lol

The quality of the new ports are so amazing compared to the old stuff, but I very much loved my DC SNK fighters. I was very happy with my Saturn port of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, since I don't think I ever had a chance to play it properly in an arcade anyway.

One can get every current XBLA SNKP game (including 2002UM and Trouble Witches NEO!) for 100 dollars. Couldn't even get ONE inferior port import + Ram cart + System Mod / Pro Action Replay for that price back in the day! I remember lamenting over the fact that it'd cost me 80 dollars to get Metal Slug on Saturn... Now I can get #3 for 10 bucks.

Such a different world...

Fersis said:
I sent a mail to SNKP US asking for PSN releases. :lol

The answer was a classic PR response:

Theres no doubt that Garou,KOF98UM,02UM would be day one for me.

well that's certainly more promising than "No plans at this time" which can be a typical PR response. When I get back home from vacation, I might shoot them a email, to at least try and show that more people want these on PSN.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SAB CA said:
Since it hasn't been mentioned here, should have some Vids from the Arcade Infinity guys by weeks end from their latest tourney (On Oct 23rd). New HD tourney goodness? In the 16 person tourney, all 31 characters show up (Yay Character Ration system!) so hopin to see some fresh stuff for the lesser-used cast members.

You've made my day. :D Does AI have 1.1?

Lyte Edge said:
2002 UM hits XBLA next week!! :D Who's getting it?

I already have both ps2 versions (and no xbots) :(

Lyte Edge said:
Glad those days are over, and glad that most of the PS2 Neo-Geo collections are very well done. Too bad the Last Blade one sucked. :(

Not fighters, but the metal slug complete collection (anthology) was pretty horrific. I ended up buying MS3 and 6 seperately. I already have SS Tenka, but I was thinking up picking up the collection if it was decent. <3 Shin SS.

SAB CA said:
I was very happy with my Saturn port of Real Bout FF2, since I don't think I ever had a chance to play it properly in an arcade anyway.

Real Bout 2 never came out for Saturn just FF3, RB FF and RB FF Special. The Saturn ports were okay. I like Samsho 3, KOF 95 and the Real Bouts. KOF 96 had some eh loading time. KOF97 had bad sound and missing animations. Sam ShoIV was a bad port.

Saturn was still the place to be for 2D ports between SNK and Capcom during the mid 90s.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Spiderjericho said:
Real Bout 2 never came out for Saturn just FF3, RB FF and RB FF Special. The Saturn ports were okay. I like Samsho 3, KOF 95 and the Real Bouts. KOF 96 had some eh loading time. KOF97 had bad sound and missing animations. Sam ShoIV was a bad port.

Saturn was still the place to be for 2D ports between SNK and Capcom during the mid 90s.

Yeah, RBFF Special, lol. Always have to keep track of those names. It's hard to remember a game as a "Special" when the only version you got to play in those years was THAT one, y'know?

The Fatal Fury Battle Archives help, thankfully. I love how the Saturn port had the soundtrack as redbook audio though... would play Mai, Billy, and Duck King themes every time I got a chance!

Mikhal said:
<3 Real Bout 2.

As much as I like Vanessa, I wish SNK would throw in Rick Strowd in one of the KOF games.

First off, +10 for awesome Avatar from an awesome game, heh heh.

Second... yeah, I'd love to see Nessa, Rick, and Heavy D! on a team one of these days, though I doubt it'd ever happen. Or toss Rick onto a Rival of the agents team, with Hon Fu in tow... (Man do I enjoy his Real Bout theme!)

Fersis

Today starts OniCon... maybe we get some news in these upcoming days.
(Its a 3 days event)

Played this while I was in Japan, it made KOFXII look like it was developed by kids. The game was really nice and I was glad to see Mia back in the roster. I hope they release this on consoles hopefully as a retail title.

I'm hoping that this doesn't end up like VF5 Final Showdown staying put in the arcades. I've lost all hope for a console version of that game.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:
Yeah, RBFF Special, lol. Always have to keep track of those names. It's hard to remember a game as a "Special" when the only version you got to play in those years was THAT one, y'know?

The Fatal Fury Battle Archives help, thankfully. I love how the Saturn port had the soundtrack as redbook audio though... would play Mai, Billy, and Duck King themes every time I got a chance!

First off, +10 for awesome Avatar from an awesome game, heh heh.

Second... yeah, I'd love to see Nessa, Rick, and Heavy D! on a team one of these days, though I doubt it'd ever happen. Or toss Rick onto a Rival of the agents team, with Hon Fu in tow... (Man do I enjoy his Real Bout theme!)

I'd kill for Hon-Fu in a KOF myself. Was my favorite of the Real Bout chars.

As for Heavy D!, a Billy/Eiji/Heavy D! Iori must die team would be nice someday.

This is the nice thing about KOF fandom- everyone has their own ideas on the roster. Rosterbating can be more fun then actually playing the game.

TreIII

The Take Out Bandit said:
The world needs more B. Jenet! Sexy pirates FTW

Agreed. While we're on the subject of MOTW loving, I'd be all for putting in Tizoc the Griffon next game. Maybe he can even sub in for Raiden, since, unfortunately, Mr. Gorii is gone, and it just ain't the same without him.

Top Bottom