• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Wait - I just saw the live action KOF trailer - Kyo & Iori are both white guys? Seriously? I mean, really? They didn't even get a half guy like Tekken & Dragon Ball did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjzHE-CW3Ak&feature=PlayList&p=CE198C6555A138C3&index=0&playnext=1

So brutal.

For the life of me I do not understand why Hollywood is convinced an Asian guy can't carry a martial arts movie in the 21st century. If you're that worried about racist audiences just make Terry the main character.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Wait - I just saw the live action KOF trailer - Kyo & Iori are both white guys? Seriously? I mean, really? They didn't even get a half guy like Tekken & Dragon Ball did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjzHE-CW3Ak&feature=PlayList&p=CE198C6555A138C3&index=0&playnext=1

So brutal.

For the life of me I do not understand why Hollywood is convinced an Asian guy can't carry a martial arts movie in the 21st century. If you're that worried about racist audiences just make Terry the main character.

Why didn't they just give Masami Obari that money to follow up his awesome Fatal Fury OVAs with some KOF OVAs?! :|

Finaika

LiveFromKyoto said:

So brutal.

Iori is played by an Asian.

And I thought Fersis said Mai was the lead in the movie.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Why didn't they just give Masami Obari that money to follow up his awesome Fatal Fury OVAs with some KOF OVAs?! :|

It's weird, because he did do some drawings of some KoF characters almost as if there were plans, don't have the link offhand.

Anyway, here's something random. Someone uploaded a bunch of "unconfirmed" credits to KoF XIII for an English voice cast on IMDB. I mean huge a grain of salt applies, but... if KoF XIII DID get a competent US publisher, some of these these choices aren't too far-fetched (though, John DiMaggio? Really? :lol ).

Laura Bailey ... Mai Shiranui
Troy Baker ... Terry Bogard
Steve Blum ... Saiki
Johnny Yong Bosch Kyo Kusanagi
Hedy Burress ... Leona Heidern
John Di Maggio ... Raiden
Brian Donovan ... Sie Kensou
Doug Erholtz ... Duo Lon
Quinton Flynn ... Ryo Sakazaki
Crispin Freeman ... Ash Crimson
Jason Griffith ... Iori Yagami
Kyle Hebert ... Joe Higashi
Megan Hollingshead Yuri Sakazaki
Taliesin Jaffe ... Hwa Jai
Yuri Lowenthal ... Shen Woo
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn ... Mature
Liam O'Brien ... K'
Mike Pollock ... Chin Gentsai
Jamieson Price ... Maxima
Sam Riegel ... Benimaru Nikaido
Patrick Seitz ... Ralf Jones
Roger Craig Smith Robert Garcia
Jessica Straus ... Elisabeth Branctorche
Fred Tatasciore ... Clark Still / Goro Daimon
Julie Ann Taylor ... King
Cristina Valenzuela Athena Asamiya
David Vincent ... Kim Kaphwan / Andy Bogard
Debi Mae West ... Vice
Travis Willingham... Mukai

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Choppasmith said:
It's weird, because he did do some drawings of some KoF characters almost as if there were plans, don't have the link offhand.

Anyway, here's something random. Someone uploaded a bunch of "unconfirmed" credits to KoF XIII for an English voice cast on IMDB. I mean huge a grain of salt applies, but... if KoF XIII DID get a competent US publisher, some of these these choices aren't too far-fetched (though, John DiMaggio? Really? :lol ).

Laura Bailey ... Mai Shiranui
Troy Baker ... Terry Bogard
Steve Blum ... Saiki
Johnny Yong Bosch Kyo Kusanagi
Hedy Burress ... Leona Heidern
John Di Maggio ... Raiden
Brian Donovan ... Sie Kensou
Doug Erholtz ... Duo Lon
Quinton Flynn ... Ryo Sakazaki
Crispin Freeman ... Ash Crimson
Jason Griffith ... Iori Yagami
Kyle Hebert ... Joe Higashi
Megan Hollingshead Yuri Sakazaki
Taliesin Jaffe ... Hwa Jai
Yuri Lowenthal ... Shen Woo
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn ... Mature
Liam O'Brien ... K'
Mike Pollock ... Chin Gentsai
Jamieson Price ... Maxima
Sam Riegel ... Benimaru Nikaido
Patrick Seitz ... Ralf Jones
Roger Craig Smith Robert Garcia
Jessica Straus ... Elisabeth Branctorche
Fred Tatasciore ... Clark Still / Goro Daimon
Julie Ann Taylor ... King
Cristina Valenzuela Athena Asamiya
David Vincent ... Kim Kaphwan / Andy Bogard
Debi Mae West ... Vice
Travis Willingham... Mukai
Awesome if true.
Link please?

fubarduck

Final KOF Qualified character list. Raiden and Mature sprung up the past two weekends . . .

24 K'
9 Kyo Elizabeth Kula
8 Raiden
5 Mature
4 Iori
2 Shen Robert Andy
1 Daimon Benimaru Leona Mai Takuma Yuri Athena Kim Maxima Chin Clark

Anyway, I learned a very important aspect of the SBO rules for this game:

You are allowed to switch characters before every match. The only requirement is that one of the players declares their characters before the match begins (aka Double Blind, no counter-picks allowed).

That's why we saw one of the qualified players listed with 4 characters a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, this list doesn't mean that much for Tougeki Final, because everyone could roll up with brand new teams if they wanted to. However, I'm sure it'll be a healthy mix of K', Kyo, Elizabeth, Kula, Raiden, Mature, and Iori.

Will be reporting the results in a couple of weeks from Japan!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fubarduck said:
Final KOF Qualified character list. Raiden and Mature sprung up the past two weekends . . .

24 K'
9 Kyo Elizabeth Kula
8 Raiden
5 Mature
4 Iori
2 Shen Robert Andy
1 Daimon Benimaru Leona Mai Takuma Yuri Athena Kim Maxima Chin Clark

Anyway, I learned a very important aspect of the SBO rules for this game:

You are allowed to switch characters before every match. The only requirement is that one of the players declares their characters before the match begins (aka Double Blind, no counter-picks allowed).

That's why we saw one of the qualified players listed with 4 characters a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, this list doesn't mean that much for Tougeki Final, because everyone could roll up with brand new teams if they wanted to. However, I'm sure it'll be a healthy mix of K', Kyo, Elizabeth, Kula, Raiden, Mature, and Iori.

Will be reporting the results in a couple of weeks from Japan!!
Needs more K Dash:lol
Thanks for the info, hope you have some sweet time over Japan.
Do you know if they're gonna stream Tougeki?

I wonder if theyre gonna announce the console version at Tougeki.... sorry man i know its bad fro your business but there arent arcades with KOFXIII in my country. ^____^¡

SNK HK Presents: Garou Team Combos

Mah' Boi Terry
Andy
Joe

141k27o.gif

The Take Out Bandit said:

Yep that would have been awesome.
Kind of funny that KOF is such long running series and it does not have a anime.
I know they was a problem for GG , i wonder if it's the same for KOF.

Edit LMAO at that gif.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I saw the live action movie over the weekend. KOF was the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. I actually expected better fight scenes, at least. You'd think with people like Ray Park and Maggie Q in the movie, something better might have come from the action, but NOPE.

Here's the plot in a nutshell:

The movie stars Maggie Q as Mai Shiranui, who is living in the U.S. and dating Iori Yagami. She's also working for the CIA (or something) under special agent Terry Bogard. Wait, what? Yeah. For some completely unexplained reason, Mai and some others take part in the King Of Fighters tournament. Sounds like the game, right? Well...no. See, these fights are all held in another dimension, and to get there, you just put a Blutooth headset in your ear. You have your fight and then return to the real world.

It's all in good fun until RAY PARK, uh, I mean Rugal shows up and steals some ancient artifacts that hold the key to entering this other dimension and taking control of it. Except that one of the artifacts is missing, yet Rugal is able to create a portal anyway. Sure. So who has the missing artifact? Why Kyo Kusanagi, of course! And true to the game, Kyo is a white guy...who fixes...motorcycles? HUH? They even show flashbacks of Kyo training under his father, and he's clearly an Asian kid, yet it cuts back to him and he's a white dude again. Great casting job there, guys. Oh, and the Orochi force is a poorly-rendered mass of CG snakes that just floats around in the other dimension randomly. Seriously, it's just sort of there.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they made this movie; it's not one of those flicks that's so bad it's good/funny like Street Fighter and Dead Or Alive. It's just bad. And boring. It does continue to make me wonder why no one can find Japanese actors to play the roles of Japanese characters though.

Thank you for the epic Chang.

And dear god, I hope K' gets nerfed for consoles. The one guy I know who plays SNK games with me rapes me for free with him, if everyone at SBO was using him then I guess he's god tier of 13.

TreIII

Lyte Edge said:
And true to the game, Kyo is a white guy...who fixes...motorcycles? HUH?

:lol

Funny though, is that the motorcycle thing is probably the one thing they actually got right. The REAL Kyo loves motorcycles too. But everything else from this movie is, of course, a bunch of garbage.

CO_Andy

Lyte Edge said:
I saw the live action movie over the weekend. KOF was the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen. I actually expected better fight scenes, at least. You'd think with people like Ray Park and Maggie Q in the movie, something better might have come from the action, but NOPE.

Here's the plot in a nutshell:

The movie stars Maggie Q as Mai Shiranui, who is living in the U.S. and dating Iori Yagami. She's also working for the CIA (or something) under special agent Terry Bogard. Wait, what? Yeah. For some completely unexplained reason, Mai and some others take part in the King Of Fighters tournament. Sounds like the game, right? Well...no. See, these fights are all held in another dimension, and to get there, you just put a Blutooth headset in your ear. You have your fight and then return to the real world.

It's all in good fun until RAY PARK, uh, I mean Rugal shows up and steals some ancient artifacts that hold the key to entering this other dimension and taking control of it. Except that one of the artifacts is missing, yet Rugal is able to create a portal anyway. Sure. So who has the missing artifact? Why Kyo Kusanagi, of course! And true to the game, Kyo is a white guy...who fixes...motorcycles? HUH? They even show flashbacks of Kyo training under his father, and he's clearly an Asian kid, yet it cuts back to him and he's a white dude again. Great casting job there, guys. Oh, and the Orochi force is a poorly-rendered mass of CG snakes that just floats around in the other dimension randomly. Seriously, it's just sort of there.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they made this movie; it's not one of those flicks that's so bad it's good/funny like Street Fighter and Dead Or Alive. It's just bad. And boring. It does continue to make me wonder why no one can find Japanese actors to play the roles of Japanese characters though.
:lol

Of course they'd use caucasian actors; its a Hollywood thing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Here are the few tiny parts that made me crack a smile.

-Terry texts "ARE YOU OK??" to Mai.

-Vice (under Rugal's influence) texts and calls people to tell them it's okay to pop in that blutooth and get back to fighting! "Hi Shermie, yeah it's cool to enter KOF!" "Oh hey Duo Lon, hey Ramon!" It was just so out of place. :lol

-Terry punches out some random guy in a "Fatal Fury" hat and puts it on.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So how many characters in XIII actually have win poses? I've been watching the arcade infinity vids and only once in a while do I ever see the camera zoom/win pose at the end of a round.

Also I'm really hoping they carry over some of the stage variants from XII for the console version because they're some seriously gorgeous pieces of art. It would be a shame to waste them. :p

Fersis

luka said:
So how many characters in XIII actually have win poses? I've been watching the arcade infinity vids and only once in a while do I ever see the camera zoom/win pose at the end of a round.

Also I'm really hoping they carry over some of the stage variants from XII for the console version because they're some seriously gorgeous pieces of art. It would be a shame to waste them. :p
Every character has one win pose i think, but the game is so awesome no one wants to wait to play the next round.

ReXXXSoprano said:
Fersis,

A friend told me to give you this. They say you'd appreciate it very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKxPeod8pvY

-R
Yeah i have no words.

I watched the movie over the weekend too. I'm sad to confirm that it is doo doo.

The acting was terrible. There were very little similarities to the game except the Orochi, the name of the characters and a few winks here and there (like the Are You Okay text, the moon on Iori's costume, his blood rage or whatever, Kyo's weird moon/sun, Terry's Fatal Fury hat).

Mai was the main character. She was rather unbouncy. Her outfit wasn't as garish.

Umm...they use bluetooths to enter another dimension to fight (so it's like Tron or Matrix).

Kyo and Mr. Big were white washed. Mature was Asian.

The cast was pretty small: Kyo, Saisyu (sp), Iori, Mai, Rugal, Vice, Mature, Terry Bogard and Chizuru.

has this been posted before??:

http://www.snk-capcom.com/?p=2324

These days, it’s been pretty quiet in terms of gaming news from SNK Playmore Corp with some random news here and there for Xbox Live/PS3 releases, such as KOF Skystage and NEO GEO Heroes, which are surprisingly both shooters (both to be released as download format only). While console owners anxiously await for the release of King of Fighters XIII for both PS3 and Xbox 360, in order to get a taste of their much improved (over KOF XII) and praised fighter, you have to head to your arcades to capture the action. The only problem is, most arcades, especially in the United States (unless imported the unit from Japan/Hong Kong), are pretty much out of luck as all new units of KOF XIII on the Taito Type X² have all dried up and are out on the market. From the distributors that we’ve spoken to, used copies of this game are selling for more than the original new price itself (Sold as a NEW Kit: Taito Type X² Motherboard and KOF XIII Software ranges between $3500-4200 USD). A huge chunk of change considering today’s economy, but gamers are lining up to play, SNK Playmore Corp’s (and their former SNK JP) convincingly best product to this date. Well, all we can say is, when you make a quality product, you get results. As for the console version of the game, we will get a more detailed report on this in the next few weeks, but preliminary reports we received is that the online gameplay will NOT disappoint. We hope so because that could be a deal killer because these days, it’s all about the online gameplay.

sounds good to me.... :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finaika said:
Wtf where is Mai?!

No Mai no buy!

I've never been a huge Mai fan. Her voice is fingernails across a chalkboard. :\

atomiswave said:
has this been posted before??:

http://www.snk-capcom.com/?p=2324

sounds good to me.... :D

Aaaaahh! I can't wait anymore I want it now! whereisitwhereisitwhereisitwhereisit

In my impatience I spoiled the endings for myself.
Elizabeth am cry. ;_;

Fersis

mhmhmh still no blog update... mhmhmhm
Gonna guess theyre waiting for SBO.

SBO Results thanks to MMCafe Professor:
Professor said:
best 4
ho kun xian (singapore)-- k', takuma, liz
cabbage-- k', kula, andy
gian-- k', iori, mai
oeppu-- k', raiden, mature

Semis: gian won (vs xian), oeppu won (vs cabbage)
Finals: oeppu won(vs gian)

Lots of K' !

MrMephistoX

Damn you TGS! Can someone lock this to prevent us from getting our hopes up while TGS is running? I saw an update and thought just maybe... oh well console release dreams shattered for now :(

Fersis

Effective September 16 (business day 1 of TGS), Soichiro Hosoya, president of SNK Playmore, has stepped down from his position. Taking over Hosoya's seat is Ryo Mizufune, board director & chief, corporate planning. Hosoya will continue to serve SNK Playmore as a board director.

Hosoya was SNK Playmore's chief of content division until his reign as president on October 30, 2008. He is the most publicly known executive in SNK Playmore, making most of the company's announcements during press events.

Thanks to MadMan Cafe Professor.

Fersis said:
Effective September 16 (business day 1 of TGS), Soichiro Hosoya, president of SNK Playmore, has stepped down from his position. Taking over Hosoya's seat is Ryo Mizufune, board director & chief, corporate planning. Hosoya will continue to serve SNK Playmore as a board director.

Hosoya was SNK Playmore's chief of content division until his reign as president on October 30, 2008. He is the most publicly known executive in SNK Playmore, making most of the company's announcements during press events.

Thanks to MadMan Cafe Professor.

Well hmmm, I'm always thinking how mismanaged SNK has been in the last couple of years. Let's hope this new guy can lead them in the right direction.

Fersis

Choppasmith said:
Well hmmm, I'm always thinking how mismanaged SNK has been in the last couple of years. Let's hope this new guy can lead them in the right direction.
More than a 'couple of years'.

Fersis said:
More than a 'couple of years'.

Well sure, but I really think this gen has been especially bad for SNK with the whole XII and Sen fiascos. At least in the last gen we got some decent original titles like Battle Coliseum, Cardfighters DS, and KoF MI as well as those nice collections.

Frankfurt

Banned
Choppasmith said:

It's not like the president is at fault for everything that happens in his company. Producers, directors and game designers are the ones to blame. You may blame the president for outdated views and the like, which may influence the choices, but in the end he's not the one making the games.

Still, a new president should shake up things a bit (HD loli dating sims, hoooooo).

p_keyvisual.jpg

ss_3.jpg
ss_2.jpg

Top Bottom