• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Edgeward

Very surprising to see CJ there but yeah he is a solid player in KOF from what I can recall. He was at a couple EC tourneys and was always solid. Has a good Athena too. Hope it was still fun playing some local KOF though.

Very surprising to see CJ there but yeah he is a solid player in KOF from what I can recall. He was at a couple EC tourneys and was always solid. Has a good Athena too. Hope it was still fun playing some local KOF though.

Yeah it was a lot of fun. I got some casuals in with a player who has a good Kim. He says he's still learning the game but he's much better than I am. CJ only had to use like Athena once, but his EX Kyo seemed a lot better.

So it appears KOF XIII may be showing up on PSN (got this bit of info from http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2491.msg58478#msg58478 via MMCafe)

http://www.psnstores.com/2012/08/sneak-peek-august-7th-psn-releases/

Hopefully its priced competitively, but I guess not to piss off retailers they got to keep this shit up around MSRP despite being able to get the game cheaper elsewhere. If anything hopefully we see a PS+ sale when it launches.

*edit*

Looks like it was confirmed on the PSN podcast earlier

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/02/playstation-blogcast-036-the-best-games-of-2012-so-far/

Around the 14:00 mark.

Marz

PSN release is going to be my first foray into an SNK fighting game. Already planning on maining Iori/Mr. Karate/Duo Lon.

Pretty pumped tuesday needs to get here.

How is the netcode?

Bumping to complain about invincible command grabs, who the hell thought that was great idea!?

[/scrub]

I don't like that noobs and vets alike leave the room after one match, either.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Bumping to complain about invincible command grabs, who the hell thought that was great idea!?

[/scrub]

Im currently rolling with Yuri and Clark so ... lol at you XD
And im trying Terry too. Experimenting a little bit with his Far Stand D as a poke. (I believe its plus on block)

BadWolf

Im currently rolling with Yuri and Clark so ... lol at you XD
And im trying Terry too. Experimenting a little bit with his Far Stand D as a poke. (I believe its plus on block)

Far standing C is what you should be experimenting with, its damn good.

Far standing D is average at best as a poke.

Loona

Maybe they're testing out a character or team "in the wild" before taking them to Ranked? I know I've done that a few times, I'm more likely to stick in a room if I know the person or got a direct invite.

As for Persona, I guess its buzz is part pre-existing fandom of that series, part Jojo-ish gameplay with tighter balancing, and part Arksys factor for those who liked their other games - I'm yet to see how it does on the long run, as none of those factors clicks with me that much. Beating up people with a chair using Kanji sounds fun, at least.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Persona 4? It's been getting a lot of buzz, and picking up both at the same time is tough. So close to getting both, but it might be overkill, since I'm not a huge SNK or Arc player.

KOF XIII is the better game, but its online play just pales in comparison. IMO Persona 4 Arena is a "summer game" and is going to fall off once TTT2 hits next month. Seems like a lot of non fighting game playing Persona fans are also buying it and realizing that it's not for them (at least in multiplayer).

If KOF XIII had netcode on par with Capcom's games (or by some miracle, Arc's games) I don't think I'd be playing anything else. But as it stands I am very much an online-only fighting game player and have not touched KOF in months due to so many games with better netcode having been released since last November.

vg260

KOF XIII is the better game, but its online play just pales in comparison. IMO Persona 4 Arena is "summer game" and is going to fall off once TTT2 hits next month. Seems like a lot of non fighting game playing Persona fans are also buying it and realizing that it's not for them (at least in multiplayer).

If KOF XIII had netcode on par with Capcom's games (or by some miracle, Arc's games) I don't think I'd be playing anything else. But as it stands I am very much an online-only fighting game player and have not touched KOF in months due to so many games with better netcode having been released since last November.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm probably gonna pass on KOF for now and pick up Persona as I don't have local friends to play with. I'm probably getting both 3D fighters in September as well, so yeah probably overkill. Thanks.

Lyte Edge

Thanks for the opinion. I'm probably gonna pass on KOF for now and pick up Persona as I don't have local friends to play with. I'm probably getting both 3D fighters in September as well, so yeah probably overkill. Thanks.

TBH if you're not big into Arc's fighters and don't care about Persona, I'd pass on that too and just wait.

Nyoro SF

I'd give Persona a shot. The netcode is really top notch.

vg260

TBH if you're not big into Arc's fighters and don't care about Persona, I'd pass on that too and just wait.

I'm so tempted though. I'm pretty much tempted by every 2D fighter. I'm a sucker for good presentation too (if the gameplay is decent). I haven't given Arc games a chance yet. oh well, I don't want to derail this thread.

Lyte Edge

I'm so tempted though. I'm pretty much tempted by every 2D fighter. I'm a sucker for good presentation too (if the gameplay is decent). I haven't given Arc games a chance yet. oh well, I don't want to derail this thread.

In that case, pick it up!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Far standing C is what you should be experimenting with, its damn good.

Far standing D is average at best as a poke.
Yeah and far Standing C is DM cancelable.

If you are up tonight, there will be a KOF tournament in Japan hosted on Nico.

Just copy and paste what Professor posted here

Repost as a reminder.

KOF wasn't at SBO, but it'll be getting its good share of the summer heat. Tomorrow, there's going to be the largest tournament in Japan hosted by Dune and KCE. This is the first time that East Japan and West Japan (Tokyo and Osaka) players are facing each other. This has never happened before. It's a 3-on-3, but we'll essencially be seeing who's the strongest in Japan. Kaoru will be attending the tournament, as well as Kyabetsu, Dune, Ogosho, Keykakko, most likely Woo, and a lot of other players. This is going to be big.

The tournament (in US time) will be taking place on August 10(Fri) around 11:30PM Pacific, 2:30AM Eastern, 1:30AM Central. (JP time August 11 starting 3:30PM JST)

The stream URL is http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv103419788
Reload the page or click on the silver/grey door when the time comes.
Get a free account to view which can be registered here (English).

Quick overview of top contenders

Dune "Godfather of KOF" - Well known for his KOF activities and being top at vanilla KOF13, Dune has been MIA for this full year due to bar exam studies. Will he be able to take on the other top players from a short rehab? Teaming with Ogosho and Picnic. Main characters: Karate, Kyo, C.Iori.

Ogosho - Former SBO champ for KOF and SF4. One of the very few Billy users in Japan. Main characters: Billy, Goro, Chin

Kyabetsu - 9th place winner at EVO. Won over Kaoru 2-1 and sent him home at EVO despite only learning the game for a week. Main character: Karate, Kyo, Iori

Kaoru "Kansai's strongest legend" - Lady luck wasn't on his side at EVO. Kaoru has been a mystery to the East Japan players, but they'll finally get a chance to match up against him to see who's truely the best in KOF. Main characters: Ryo, Daimon, Karate, Raiden

Woo(Uuu) - If you've seen the "vs Woo + Kaoru" vids back with vanilla KOF13, you know who this is. Woo normally doesn't attend tournaments so it's unknown if he's enterting this one, but rumor is he's teaming up with Kaoru and Kyabetsu. Main characters: Mai, Kim, Goro.

Picnic "The last supper" - Despite his cute name and being practically unknown in the English KOF scene, Picnic is around the same strength as Dune and is reportedly good enough to get wins against Kaoru.

Keykakko "Mr.Framedata" - Provider of valuable frame data, Keykakko is entering this tournament. Main characters: Hwa, Raiden, Chin

Other good contenders probably entering tournament-

Shoki - Seasoned player, one of Japan's top contenders.
Itimu Mari - One of Japan's top contenders.
Haregoro - Renowned Joe player.
Tenkawa - Renowned Ashi/Duolon player.
Yukichi - About the only Terry player in Japan. Loves KOF so much that he dreamt of playing a character in the series and decided to become a voice actor.
Shizuoka King - About the only King player in Japan.
Myu - Renowned Clark player, amazed Orochingi's Gunsmith.
Ringo - Less known player, Strong enough to send Kaoru to losers in previous Jp Tournament. Jp Tournament.

Edgeward

Ooooo gonna stay up for that. Hoping a restream on twitch but I could also hope for not seeing niconoco kick me out while streaming as well.

In spite of the post above, I have sinking feeling that we are going to see hilarious amounts of tier whoring but who knows.

Speaking of tier whoring, I am really liking Vice and Flame Iori. Want to run OG Yagami team as a substitute team.

Double post, yet again. But fuck Raiden.

Pointless attempt to stir some discussion, but what teams has everyone settled on, or what teams do you want to use in the future?

Currently I am using Mai/Mature/Liz.

Want to use Yagami team(with Ex Iori) in the future.

Marz

Not that i'm good or anything but I think i've settled on Duo Lon/Iori/Athena. Gonna have to hit the lab hard though since i'm new and behind everyone else.

So the kof community in my university pretty much consists of me and another guy who I practice with. Now that I'm on co-op again, I expect to be out of practice again, this is rather depressing.

So the kof community in my university pretty much consists of me and another guy who I practice with. Now that I'm on co-op again, I expect to be out of practice again, this is rather depressing.

You have a community for other fighters right? Ask them if they are willing to play your game. Take the game to their sessions, show them how to play if they are interested.

Shadow780

If I'm in a tournament right now I'd probably pick EX Kyo/Takuma/Vice

But casually I enjoy playing Mai/Yuri/Mature, and Clark, EX Iori, Terry too.

Best thing about this game there's a lot of characters that's fun to play.

Good move. Personally, I like Rekka Kyo the best simply because his HD loops look cool and his neomax is totally boss

His HD loops and Neomax do look awesome, one of the main reasons I might want to put him on my team. Problem is I will probably put him on point, so I will need to try to conserve meter. Tried a very simple HD loop with him and it was pretty easy to do but the damage was poor.

His HD loops and Neomax do look awesome, one of the main reasons I might want to put him on my team. Problem is I will probably put him on point, so I will need to try to conserve meter. Tried a very simple HD loop with him and it was pretty easy to do but the damage was poor.

Meter comes by really quick, so I think you can afford to spend one or two bars during the first round, and still have build enough to HD combo the second character.

Meter comes by really quick, so I think you can afford to spend one or two bars during the first round, and still have build enough to HD combo the second character.

I was just thinking that I would never really get the chance to do an HD combo on my opponents second character unless I'm much better than them. I also usually try to be a safe and conservative player, so I will be trying to save my meter for my last character.

Top Bottom