• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Ah, I was just following Combofiends advice on the game which was to learn your characters highest dmg meterless combo, learn their combo into super, learn their HD combo, then once you have those 3 down learn about proper movement like hops etc.

Toss that advice in the garbage. What's the point of learning all these combos if you can't even move properly. First you learn movement and jumping, then you learn proper anti airs and counters then you move onto simple combos and when you can get them on a consistent basis, then go for HD combos. No point in running when you can't even crawl yet.

shaowebb

*relinked for new page*
For those who missed it MadCatz put on an all weekend tourney for 13 different games that will continue all the way through tomorrow. Today was MK9 and KOF13

Here's the archive of the KOFXIII tourney for those who missed it

Get in there.

Good stuff there, I am liking the Mature representation and success this weekend from Bigfool and Ryry. Really reinforces my opinion that she is far from bottom 5 as Karou and UUU like to think.

While I am at it, I'll pimp some archives as well. Tokido and Mago money match ET, a famous Taiwanese KOF player. Starts at 1:23. Mago vs ET starts at 2:06.

http://zh-tw.twitch.tv/twfighter/b/330028108

These vids make me wonder why everytime I surf twitch.tv searching for KOFXIII I come up empty. This game is really exciting with its footwork and every character seems pretty viable. It already convinces me every fighter needs hops, rolls, and super hops in their options after seeing the mixups and punishes this gives folks. To me its more exciting than SSFIVAE by far. Too bad no one plays this game near me.

*relinked for new page*

These vids make me wonder why everytime I surf twitch.tv searching for KOFXIII I come up empty. This game is really exciting with its footwork and every character seems pretty viable. It already convinces me every fighter needs hops, rolls, and super hops in their options after seeing the mixups and punishes this gives folks. To me its more exciting than SSFIVAE by far. Too bad no one plays this game near me.

Some channels I am following.

CafeID - Korean KOF of decent to really good skill.

Yan Yao Ren - Taiwanese KOF play. Though Ren isn't always there, the level of play is usually decent.

KOFcast - Hellpockets, Giby, and others usually talk about the current state of KOF , a podcast.

Juicebox Abel - He has been streaming his trainning sessions in KOF, he will also answer any questions you have about the game.

But yeah, I have been mostly relying on international players for streaming weeklies.

Another random link, but there is a facebook group for KOF players if you want to post and see if there is anyone near you. Closed group, but it should let you in after a few hours. Feel free to spread this around.

If anyone is somewhat interested testing connections online, I can do that, has to be weekends though, where I can used a wired connection.

Professor posted something over at the MMCafe about a KOF player who had become the butt a pretty nasty joke. Just a Copy and Paste here.

The top KOF13 Terry player in Japan has become the biggest news in the anime industry this week, but not because of his 'ARE YOU OK' gaming skills. Hell, he even became headline on Kotaku.

Mitsuhiro Yukichi (you can see him play against Tokido here and here) works his dayjob as a professional voice actor. In fact, he became a voice actor because of his dream to one day do a character in KOF-- talk about being a hardcore fan. He's already in his 30's but so far he hasn't had his big break yet, living off on minor roles.

And as everyone knows, small-time voice actors are treated like crap.

In Yukichi's case, he was humiliated to the pulp on broadcast thanks to an idiot producer at Kingrecords who thought that lieing to him about getting a role in a new anime would be funny, and the harassment continued as a part of a janitor-level job thrown at him (not like he can quit) until at least recently when the news got out. The details of what happened to him can be read in the URLs below. It was pretty depressing to see him being toyed by a voice actoress who kept jolting up the voltage on a massage gizmo strapped on his body while he was trying to make a presentation in one of his publicity jobs. The reaction of the public has been ugly after they've learnt about the whole incident, and the anime's radio show was forced to cancel just today.

http://nekketsunikki.wordpress.com/...on-an-unknown-voice-actor-and-humiliated-him/

http://www.otafez.com/2012/08/29/pr...ro-connects-staffs-made-him-really-depressed/

http://mousoupica.tumblr.com/post/30533553898/silver-links-prank

http://kotaku.com/mitsuhiro-ichiki/

Onemic

Professor posted something over at the MMCafe about a KOF player who had become the butt a pretty nasty joke. Just a Copy and Paste here.

That's fucking disgusting. And did that dude in the first blog really say he kind of wants the guy to commit suicide? Really?

shaowebb

That is disgusting and the people who did that to him are human garbage. Getting your joy at the expense of another human being's pride and dreams is the sickest form of entertainment and its only appealing to egotistical douchebags wishing to demean others just to try and justify their own inflated opinions of self worth.

I hope the guys who did this get raked over the coals until they themselves suffer blacklisting in their own industry. I also hope that the exposure nets him a chance to audition for bigger roles.

shaowebb

Andy Bogard is now outshining both my Vice and K'. So much love for this character. Zaneikan is sooo much fun to spring out and his drive cancels are getting easier. I didn't know some of his moves couldn't drive cancel on whif or block till recently. Damn sure made me more careful with his shoryu move.

If I could wish for one change in this game though it'd have to be the inputs. QCB into HCF for one move? Double Motions? Drive canceling INTO these things from OTHER motions like them? Find something easier to replace these inputs with and I bet you'd see more people pick it up. Its really easy to drop an input in this game when you have to drive cancel into some of those. Especially out of a shoryu IMO.

Andy Bogard is now outshining both my Vice and K'. So much love for this character. Zaneikan is sooo much fun to spring out and his drive cancels are getting easier. I didn't know some of his moves couldn't drive cancel on whif or block till recently. Damn sure made me more careful with his shoryu move.

If I could wish for one change in this game though it'd have to be the inputs. QCB into HCF for one move? Double Motions? Drive canceling INTO these things from OTHER motions like them? Find something easier to replace these inputs with and I bet you'd see more people pick it up. Its really easy to drop an input in this game when you have to drive cancel into some of those. Especially out of a shoryu IMO.

I find qcb,hcf motions easier than the qcfx2 of street fighter, but that's just me.

I want complain about double hcb, too(learning Vice, myself). But it is honestly not that hard, as long the game registers two sets f,d,b inputs, it should work. Holding the last back input also helps. It all just requires repetition and practice.

There are shortcuts you can generally use for those. For example dp into qcb hcf can be done as hcb,f then hcf. To drive cancel a dp into a qcf motion, you can just input the dp as f, qcf and press buttons or even hold it if it's the same one.

Double hcb is basically like a 720 where you keep yourself from hitting upward directions.

BadWolf

You can't drive cancel on whiff or block period, drive cancels can only be done when a move actually hits.

Supercancels on the other hand can be done on hit or block.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Andy is one of the most underrated characters in the game. Or at least 'under' played.

shaowebb

There are shortcuts you can generally use for those. For example dp into qcb hcf can be done as hcb,f then hcf. To drive cancel a dp into a qcf motion, you can just input the dp as f, qcf and press buttons or even hold it if it's the same one.

Double hcb is basically like a 720 where you keep yourself from hitting upward directions.

Oooooh...these must be practiced at first opportunity by me. I didn't know there were shortcuts to these. Heck there is still a lot I don't know as I only get to play around twice a week now due to my reel. Still more than I got to play UMVC3 really, but KOFXIII is a trickier game to learn combos from and theres no portable bible to pack around to learn frame data from. Thank God for dreamcancel's stuff. I'm seriously considering using Adobe InDesign sometime though to compile some of this stuff into a print format if theres time. Desktop is downstairs and the game is upstairs for me. Plus I used to read my UMVC3 stuff on break to get ideas. It'd be nice to do that with this game sometime.

Still I got like a million projects all in the wings after graduation and I'm still needing to actually play the game and practice more than design a prettier layout of the online intel.

Someday KOF games will be big enough to get this stuff...someday.
Andy is one of the most underrated characters in the game. Or at least 'under' played.

But all those fireballs are great for shutting down approaches. Plus his zaneikan seems great to catch folks before they can react to exploit openings. Maybe its just a case of folks doing his tricks better if people don't play him? I dunno, but the man is staying on my team. Only guy who manages to stuff Kim's devilishly fast approaches on my team. Guess that might be why I was getting kind of happy with the Shoryu's if I think about it...

I really think the most underrated character award goes to Terry.

I've decided to keep Terry on my team and was learning his normals a few days ago. He's got great normals, great anti-airs, good ways to keep pressure and stay at frame advantage. His combos are easy to do and output decent damage. Have to agree with you that he is underrated.

no he isn't. You want underrated and underused? Try Chin, Daimon, Vice, Terry, or hell Maxima. Andy is used a lot. I love hating on that asshoe with my chin trollercoaster. Roll under that fireball and go to town.

shaowebb

Have Fun!

Btw, I highly recommend that everyone follow the cafeid twitch channel. They have a haphazard schedule, but always have really good players to steal tech from.

Lol at clicking that link and seeing his archive with a bunch of naked Raiden custom color alts. If anything can throw off my Vice's grappling game it'd be her uneasiness to get ahold of some of that.

Fraeon

We had a KOF day this sunday. Well, KOF and AE2012. It's been like 6 months since I had seriously touched this game but I felt I was hitting my combos better than I did then. I was mostly doing practice and sucked against humans but now basic bnbs seemed to come out pretty handily? The fun part was that every time I hit Yuri's butt into neomax, everybody bursted into laughter.

So, to celebrate this return... I was thinking of having Ryo in my team. What can you get off of Ryo's j.CD on counter-hit?

We had a KOF day this sunday. Well, KOF and AE2012. It's been like 6 months since I had seriously touched this game but I felt I was hitting my combos better than I did then. I was mostly doing practice and sucked against humans but now basic bnbs seemed to come out pretty handily? The fun part was that every time I hit Yuri's butt into neomax, everybody bursted into laughter.

So, to celebrate this return... I was thinking of having Ryo in my team. What can you get off of Ryo's j.CD on counter-hit?

Ex Super should work. Probably Hienshippukyaku, too.

Got a chance to play after a two-week break from the game, Duo Lon in particular feels so right when I'm not auto-piloting shit and actually think about what I'm trying to do.

Also not many people play Leona, but that might change soon.

shaowebb

Oh wow guys turns out Vice's normal heavy shoulder and mashing B for the low kick will maker her go right under Saiki's fireball!

3:02:44 for mash b

3:10:46 for heavy shoulder

So need to hit the lab and test this versus other projectiles because apparently her hitbox is lower than I thought during some moves.

Edit: hmmm...it might just be the fireball with the weird hitbox and not Vice. I'll have to keep messing with this to see if Vice actually can go under anything or not with these moves or if its just Saiki's fire...

DOUBLE EDIT:
Magnix Tienda Facebook KOF13 group said:
Vice lowers her hurtbox at the startup of her C shoulder, from what a friend tested so far it works against Saiki, Ash, Robert, King and Andy.

Sweeeeeet. Looks like Vice does lower herself to a degree on the shoulder and it can cause stuff to whif. I still can't tell if the crouching kicks lower her or if its Saiki's fireball sporting a weird hitbox. Any ideas of stuff I can test both against to see whats going on with this?

shaowebb

j856p.gif

Oh wow guys turns out Vice's normal heavy shoulder and mashing B for the low kick will maker her go right under Saiki's fireball!

3:02:44 for mash b

3:10:46 for heavy shoulder

So need to hit the lab and test this versus other projectiles because apparently her hitbox is lower than I thought during some moves.

Edit: hmmm...it might just be the fireball with the weird hitbox and not Vice. I'll have to keep messing with this to see if Vice actually can go under anything or not with these moves or if its just Saiki's fire...

DOUBLE EDIT:

Sweeeeeet. Looks like Vice does lower herself to a degree on the shoulder and it can cause stuff to whif. I still can't tell if the crouching kicks lower her or if its Saiki's fireball sporting a weird hitbox. Any ideas of stuff I can test both against to see whats going on with this?

Low kick lowers the character's hitbox. I have seen it before in earlier games. Also I think other characters can do that, I know Kyo can.

shaowebb

The thread does seem pretty dead =(

I wish I had more time to play this game. Also wish the netcode was better so we could all play each other.

Ditto on the netcode. If this had good online I'd buy back xboxlive for it in a heartbeat. I keep finding all kinds of fun things in this game to do. Currently I'm just messing around with my team and spending time unlocking all the gallery paths, art, and colors. Andy I swear is making me so happy in this game on point. I don't know what I'd do without him. His stuff is just so easy and it doesn't take a long combo from him to do well. Vice is getting some cool tech from the facebook groups telling me stuff and K'...well K' is there. He's just sorta good for whatever is needed, but he does require longer combos. He's pretty good though so I don't really think I'll do my normal thing and bounce around forever with cast.

I was messing around trying to get character endings though and I gotta say Shen's falcon punch is damned fun to let rip on people.

BTW how the hell do you do Raiden's dropkick? I can't tell what that input means.

shaowebb

Hold B or D, it takes quite a while to charge. Like more than 4 secs for a lvl 1 dropkick

Oh wow...did they increase the charge time or something in this game? I remember seeing old KOF 12 stuff and the guy was throwing those things around like they were normals. Super dropkicks everywhere like a big fat blue and yellow bullet.Dropkick input just seemed weird the way it was written. I thought it was a charge move, but it never came out. Guess now I know why.

He seemed alright when I played him though and his priority seemed good when I played him alongside of his damage.

EDIT: BTW its taking forever unlocking these colors. Can you go through and get them if you do 1vs1 instead of 3v3? I really want to get enough stuff to make Duff Man Clark as an alt.

Lgdb1.jpg

Edgeward

Yea, it was a pretty significant nerf to the charge times because it was stupid good considering how fast it came out and because it's a hold only it's easy as a reaction move. Here are the changes

Charge times have been increased. Previously, the charge times were 4 seconds for level 1, 8 seconds for level 2, 12 seconds for level 3, and 16 seconds for level 4.
Invincibility has been removed.
Guard crush damage has been reduced.
Can no longer be connected after a guard cancel attack.
Knocks the opponent away, preventing mid-screen follow-ups.

As you can see, stupid good before.

shaowebb

Yea, it was a pretty significant nerf to the charge times because it was stupid good considering how fast it came out and because it's a hold only it's easy as a reaction move. Here are the changes

As you can see, stupid good before.

*long slow whistle*

Man, I can see what you mean. Guard crush, invincible, fast as hell...sounds harsh. Guy seems okay by my standards right now. I'm betting a guy like Kim or any guy with fast as hell pressure like Kensou could ream him though. Still I bet that guy makes a lot of OCV comebacks with how he felt.

Edgeward

EDIT: BTW its taking forever unlocking these colors. Can you go through and get them if you do 1vs1 instead of 3v3? I really want to get enough stuff to make Duff Man Clark as an alt.

Lgdb1.jpg

Yes you can. You can do it versus too and set the dummy at 50% health. Just make sure to back out to the main menu. 10 fights will unlock one set.

*long slow whistle*

Man, I can see what you mean. Guard crush, invincible, fast as hell...sounds harsh. Guy seems okay by my standards right now. I'm betting a guy like Kim or any guy with fast as hell pressure like Kensou could ream him though. Still I bet that guy makes a lot of OCV comebacks with how he felt.

You can also just buy an unlock for the colors.

Loona

If I can earn it why bother buying it? Looks like I got a short and easy way now with the 50% dummy match on 1v1 so I'm golden. Duffman here I come.

I did after unlocking them for all characters, a bit like buying an external save option in case my PS3 breaks (which has happened before).
Then again, I don't need a lot of excuses to throw money at this game.

Top Bottom