• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Shadow780

j856p.gif

seriously, I practiced whole afternoon without a challenger on PS3, East coast.

Shadow780

Yeah I'm on during afternoons and nights on weekends as well. You guys can add me Shadow780

I have both versions so I can xbox too, same username.

Shadow780

Edit: ggs Terare, it's not perfect connection but definitely playable

Sorry I missed you earlier Solidgear.

I saw Bala online, not sure if the real one.

Edit: ggs Terare, it's not perfect connection but definitely playable

Sorry I missed you earlier Solidgear.

I saw Bala online, not sure if the real one.

Yeah, ggs. It really helped that I was playing at college rather than at home, I think.

Thanks for reminding me that I am still ass at the game.

shaowebb

Your Mature is pretty good, dat EX uppercut. Anyone who doesn't spam Shen at me gets a thumb up. God I hate Shen.

But Falcon Punch is so fun to let fly. <3

Real talk though I don't use him. Sticking to Andy/Vice/K' with Claw and Chin as alt picks in there somewhere.

Best advice I've gotten so far trying to get better with K' is "Dont drop the damned soap!"

I haven't had much time to spare recently to play because of school. My internet at the apartment is pretty bad has well. I'll post in this thread to let you guys know if I'm on and able to play.

shaowebb

There was one created back when the game first came out- nobody was ever on.

:C

BTW does anyone know what SNK/Playmore are doing these days? I know its kind of a tenuous time for them or something, but I never got into the full details. All I know is there was talk of no more fighters and that XIII originally wasn't going to get released or something at some point. I'd really like to know whether or not I should expect any stuff from them announced fighter or otherwise for consoles anytime soon.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

BTW does anyone know what SNK/Playmore are doing these days? I know its kind of a tenuous time for them or something, but I never got into the full details. All I know is there was talk of no more fighters and that XIII originally wasn't going to get released or something at some point. I'd really like to know whether or not I should expect any stuff from them announced fighter or otherwise for consoles anytime soon.
KOFXIII producer said that if XIII failed it would be the last fighting game from SNKP.

Ive been told that we shouldnt worry though ;)

alstein

I can't see XIII being considered a failure- it sold fairly well in the US, and was a critical success.

They really need to improve their netcode or just license that out to Arc though.

shaowebb

I can't see XIII being considered a failure- it sold fairly well in the US, and was a critical success.

They really need to improve their netcode or just license that out to Arc though.

I think improved netcode is vital next go round, and I honestly feel that if they used easier inputs for certain moves it might draw in more players next time around. Lots of folks tend to weigh in on this game as "Its great, but its hard to learn" and I think its stuff like double motions and drive canceling things into stuff with qcf+hcb or something that throws them. Yeah, I know there are shortcuts but when you read the move list in game its kind of daunting for casuals. I'm having a helluva time getting some folks I know who only play casually to go in on this due to that reason.

Netcode is a given major concern though for it as its a wasteland online of tumbleweeds. I think making the inputs have more approachability though would also be a subtle way to entice more market acceptance from more types of players. I can't see it hurting gameplay in any event so may as well give it a go.

Your thoughs? After all, I'm still new to learning stuff on this one.

Shadow780

I like proper inputs since it won't put me into bad habits, there're still shortcuts you can take advantage of. But I can't say for casuals since I've been playing KOF for a long time.

Fixing netcode is obviously the priority for SNK right now. It's very frustrating that after years of mixed bag KOFs they finally done something right but missed the most crucial part from even bigger western success due to netcode.

I think making the inputs have more approachability though would also be a subtle way to entice more market acceptance from more types of players. I can't see it hurting gameplay in any event so may as well give it a go.

Your thoughs? After all, I'm still new to learning stuff on this one.

Inputs like XI or XIII are fine by me. 02UM is stricter but nothing you can't handle without a bit of practice save for shit like Ryo's unblockable HSDM. I actually think they did a good job with XIII in that respect.

Messing with motions themselves could potentially hurt gameplay actually, think overlapping issues (XIII already has some but they're manageable through tiger knee motions), and it would overall just feel counter intuitive. Kinda like Kyo having his fireball in XI as qcb+P since he had his rekka starters on qcf.

BadWolf

Generally speaking SNK is very (very) quite about what they are working on these days until they are ready to show gameplay and announce a loketest. Heck ppl thought XIII's console port wasn't being announced for so long because the company was dead again, that's how quite they were.

Wouldn't be surprised if XIV is already in the works.

Grokbu

Yeah, I personally believe that they are working on a new KOF at the moment. Regarding the netcode, while I think that they should have learned from XII, I think that the reactions after the EVO finals would have been a real eye opener in case they read them. There were so many people that wanted to get the game, but with the netcode not being that hot a lot of people decided to not get it. I think that the game might have been really big, right now, if the netcode was better.

I personally think that the netcode for their next game will be good, because I would think that, by now, they would realize just how many people decide against getting the game because of the netcode.

it's sad, but the netcode is actually very good if you play in a healthy internet environment. but since most of the west has shity internet, sharing their connection with 5 other people, it will always result in bad play.

hopefully SNK will change their internet philosophy for the next game. it's the only way to grow in the west.

Grokbu

it's sad, but the netcode is actually very good if you play in a healthy internet environment. but since most of the west has shity internet, sharing their connection with 5 other people, it will always result in bad play.

hopefully SNK will change their internet philosophy for the next game. it's the only way to grow in the west.

I'm not sure what it is then. I have played under good conditions with a friend of mine, but we still got a lot of delay compared to everything else we play. It wasn't that fun using Elizabeth's counters during those matches. :(

I'm not sure what it is then. I have played under good conditions with a friend of mine, but we still got a lot of delay compared to everything else we play. It wasn't that fun using Elizabeth's counters during those matches. :(

i don't have any delay when i play people i know with good connections, it feels like offline play. but it is hard to find random people online with good pings. you'll have to search long and hard or play offline.

if you have trouble with your friend, maybe those conditions just aren't good enough :)

Grokbu

i don't have any delay when i play people i know with good connections, it feels like offline play. but it is hard to find random people online with good pings. you'll have to search long and hard or play offline.

I see. I live in Sweden and have played with other swedes while under good conditions and it still lags a lot. I'm really bad with networking, but maybe it could be some other underlying issue that's causing such differing opinions on the netcode, like that the game works better with some ISPs than others?

EDIT:
if you have trouble with your friend, maybe those conditions just aren't good enough :)

Yeah, maybe. But it is weird when so many other games work great and this one has so much lag in comparison.

alstein

Some folks also are more impacted by lag than others, or more naturally adjust. I've noticed I feel lag less than many folks.

That said, KOF online is bad unless you get a 4-bar connect somehow.

I kinda suspect we're getting a Fatal Fury game instead of a KOF next though.

Shadow780

I'm sure the netcode is sufficient for Japan/Korea/Taiwan since they got ridiculous internet speeds, while in the west most people don't have that kind of service.

I see. I live in Sweden and have played with other swedes while under good conditions and it still lags a lot. I'm really bad with networking, but maybe it could be some other underlying issue that's causing such differing opinions on the netcode, like that the game works better with some ISPs than others?

EDIT:

Yeah, maybe. But it is weird when so many other games work great and this one has so much lag in comparison.

if you can get 15-25ms between you two it should be sufficient. that was my average to one friend from ger to swe.

btw, are you guys using wired? that's a must.

shaowebb

I'm down for the outsourcing of the netcode to Arc System Works. People seem to be praising Persona 4 for it and at this point I really want to see SNK guaranteed a good netcode somehow. Time to headhunt some folks for it is my opinion.

Played with someone from the same state online last night. I set up my router as an access point and have an ethernet cable going from one of the router ports to the ethernet port on my ps3. The game showed a 4 bar connection between the both of us but we still got a lot of lag and delay. Just makes me think that the game is pretty unplayable online in the US.

Just anyone will have a bad experience with any game when someone is rinsing youtube on their iphone on the same connection. Can't blame the game netcode for that, not that you are, but I see ppl saying "bad netcode" as the cause.

What you're sopposed to do is allocate 2 hours where you go into the router/modem options and "turn of wireless devices" and unplug the rj45's for the other devices that might use it. If everyone can agree with that in the household than it's all good. If it's a family they can be agreeable with that, if it's a sausage fest of guys than I don't see it as an easy task. imo.

Played with someone from the same state online last night. I set up my router as an access point and have an ethernet cable going from one of the router ports to the ethernet port on my ps3. The game showed a 4 bar connection between the both of us but we still got a lot of lag and delay. Just makes me think that the game is pretty unplayable online in the US.

If you're available, I'll be online Monday night, it might be better since I am at school.

shaowebb

I got a friend locally who digs this game now, but they want to try it out using someone thats got easy combos. Who has the easiest to input drive cancel combos or the simplest stuff to use in your opinion guys? Im thinking of having him try Mature or Claw, but I really haven't played a lot of cast since I've mainly been all in on Andy/Vice/K' with some time on Chin and a light experience with Claw.

I got a friend locally who digs this game now, but they want to try it out using someone thats got easy combos. Who has the easiest to input drive cancel combos or the simplest stuff to use in your opinion guys? Im thinking of having him try Mature or Claw, but I really haven't played a lot of cast since I've mainly been all in on Andy/Vice/K' with some time on Chin and a light experience with Claw.

Mai is a pretty easy character in general, Flame Iori combos aren't hard either, assuming you have the character. There's Mr.Karate as well...

smik

after watching Evo 2012 finals, im a huge believer.

KOf Xiii is possibly the most entertaining game to watch in competitively, so many
things going on and the combos are insane (i will never get to that level)

got this ordered and on the way :)

He could try Terry. Terry's bnb's and drive cancel combos are pretty easy to learn.

BadWolf

Andy, Terry, Ryo, Mai and Kim are good picks.

shaowebb

Thanks everyone. Its been a few days and he's going with Ryo, Mai, Kim. I am now learning to hate Kim anchors. My poor K'...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember folks: MadKOF and Bala are attending Season Beatings this weekend.

Thread

TGS Cosplay
25_tgscosplay18.jpg

shaowebb

I am unsure on how to approach a st.d abusing Kim as well, maybe the Answer could shed some light.

Yeah his pressure was just unreal. I was trying the normal flame popoffs to try and space him and such, but the guy is just too quick and has too many good angles of attack over that stuff. Dem flip kicks and jumping stomps are nightmare fuel when your back's against the wall and you are stuck on the defensive. Best I could do was go for grabs on the guy or attempt some fire crows to get outta most situations. Thank God this game has rolls. His Kim straight up beasted my Vice though. I may do an order switch on the guy to deal with it, because I'm betting my Andy could deal with that stuff easier with his zaneikan and GTFO energy ball. Plus, K' isn't bad on point for building meter for Vice so I think I'll bounce them around next time he's over.

Top Bottom