• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

GGs man, weird lag spikes even though it was 4 bars.

You should host next time see if it's better that way.

Yeah definitely some good games, your fundamentals were super strong and it definitely felt like you knew how to use your characters normals to keep me shut down. Couldn't really initiate my hop pressure at all.

So I decided to buy some characters after the PSN store came back up from maintenance and I got to say, Mr. Karate is what I'm used to. He felt so right and it seems he is my strongest character now besides Robert. Still don't like that his kick special can only be done in the air and that his projectile has been drastically cut short but everything else is fine. Oh meant to ask, if anyone here ever wants to play and I'm free just PM me on PSN. My GT is spyhunterzero

So I decided to buy some characters after the PSN store came back up from maintenance and I got to say, Mr. Karate is what I'm used to. He felt so right and it seems he is my strongest character now besides Robert. Still don't like that his kick special can only be done in the air and that his projectile has been drastically cut short but everything else is fine. Oh meant to ask, if anyone here ever wants to play and I'm free just PM me on PSN. My GT is spyhunterzero

Sure. I'll play you, just give me a minute. PSN:ElzaWalker

Where do you live, btw?

vg260

Any word on a sequel/update to this game? I got it from Plus, and tried to play online, but could barely find a match and when I finally did (lvl 3), it was unplayable.

Any word on a sequel/update to this game? I got it from Plus, and tried to play online, but could barely find a match and when I finally did (lvl 3), it was unplayable.

No word on an update. But we would try to test connections if you are available, are you on PSN?

No word on an update. But we would try to test connections if you are available, are you on PSN?

Yeah, for some reason I tried it out with a friend when I had 3 Bars and it was pretty bad. I connected my PS3 with an ether net cord and it said my connection went down to 2 bars, but played better than a 3 bar lol I'd join you but I guess rooms only allow 2 people at a time

Shadow780

Yeah, for some reason I tried it out with a friend when I had 3 Bars and it was pretty bad. I connected my PS3 with an ether net cord and it said my connection went down to 2 bars, but played better than a 3 bar lol I'd join you but I guess rooms only allow 2 people at a time

pretty much, wireless makes this game's netcode crap out even further.

I don't know what SNK is up to now, they've been quiet. I hope something's in the works.

vg260

Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm too buried in backlog and learning other fighters to put much time into it. I'll probably mess around in single player and trials briefly, and hope they improve online in the future.

pretty much, wireless makes this game's netcode crap out even further.

I don't know what SNK is up to now, they've been quiet. I hope something's in the works.

But here is the thing. It was not so bad when I played BadWolf, granted the other matches were on ether net cord and ran at 4 Bars which was awesome.

BadWolf

But here is the thing. It was not so bad when I played BadWolf, granted the other matches were on ether net cord and ran at 4 Bars which was awesome.

Yeah, my connections with you, Terareflection and Shadow780 were all solid.

The best way imo is to use a wired connection and make sure nobody is using your internet for anything even remotely taxing. So absolutely no video streaming, downloading etc. Best connections for me are when the internet isn't being used for anything else period while I'm playing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wow are you folks having a good online experience? :0

BHK3

Banned
Been playing the game since I got it from Plus and been loving it. Finally got a team going, Joe Benimaru and Ralf. Online has been horrid though, won't let me fight against others and when I do the lag is huge.

BadWolf

Korea VS Japan in KOFXIII (20 Oct-2012):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5SoPJJC80E&feature=plcp

Just started watching it, very solid matches so far (very sweet comeback in the part linked above).

Not sure but looks like its 4 Korean players (including Lacid and MADkof) VS 20 Japanese players. The Korean players have 5 lives each by the sound of things.

One of these days, I'll get to your last characters. I can already get to your second, I just need patience and I know I can do it. It might help if I knew how to use the Drive bar too.

Anything in particular giving you problems with using drive? Even if you don't know HD combos you can still do excellent damage with just drive cancel and EX move combos.

Oh that's you, ggs bro other day.

Ggs man, really fun matches.

Well for starters, it would help if I remember that I had it. Anyways, does it work like X-Factor does in Mahvel, where I can use it for almost any move to cancel it (without the buffs of course) or is it only normal moves that I can cancel?

BadWolf

Well for starters, it would help if I remember that I had it. Anyways, does it work like X-Factor does in Mahvel, where I can use it for almost any move to cancel it (without the buffs of course) or is it only normal moves that I can cancel?

- While doing HD or Drive cancel combos the game system still remains the same, you don't get any additional juggle properties to your moves (like with Yun's Genei-Jin) or power up or speed boost like in X-Factor. The only differences are that while in HD you have access to more cancels, can cancel any normal into a special and can max cancel a super into a Neomax.

- You can't enter HD mode by canceling into it after a special move, it has to be a raw activation, an activation after a normal or an HD Bypass activation.

- You can only Drive or HD cancel special moves, not normals.

- Outside of HD you can do a maximum of 2 cancels, in HD you can do a maximum of 10 iirc.

- The characters have various normals which may or may not be cancelable into special moves, if you are in HD mode then all normals become cancelable into special moves. For example, Iori's far standing D isn't cancelable into anything outside of HD but in HD you can cancel it into any special move or super.

- You can't cancel one special move over and over into itself, you have to vary between at least two moves. The only exception is EX moves which count as separate moves, so you can cancel a special move into an EX version of itself.

- You can't Drive cancel on block, you can Super cancel on block however.

Ok, so you can't use it to cancel anything. That sucks, but i guess it's not that cheap like X-Factor either. I was wondering cause I kept seeing people do it in the middle of a combo, but I guess they were just activating it after a Normal that gave them enough time to continue the combo.

I'm guessing that canceling is done ala Street Fighter 3 as the projectile to Uppercut still works or am I wrong?

BadWolf

Ok, so you can't use it to cancel anything. That sucks, but i guess it's not that cheap like X-Factor either. I was wondering cause I kept seeing people do it in the middle of a combo, but I guess they were just activating it after a Normal that gave them enough time to continue the combo.

The most used way is to hit confirm via normals and then activate into an HD combo. Some people activate even if the normal is blocked and try to go for a setup after.

And yeah, the system doesn't give you an easy way out if you do something stupid like throw an unsafe special out outside of HD. So no X-Factoring to safety or throwing a DP out and then FADCing into safety like in SF4. The only time you can do something like that is only when you are in HD already, in which case you can both drive and supercancel on block (which also means you can do 100% guard break combos on a blocking opponent if they don't have meter to get out of blocking).

I'm guessing that canceling is done ala Street Fighter 3 as the projectile to Uppercut still works or am I wrong?

Canceling a fireball into a DP in 3rd Strike? Can't remember that being there.

I don't remember which SF game it was (might be 4?) as I'm completely tired and can't remember which one.
No wait, I think it was DP into projectile...

BadWolf

Watching the Korea VS Japan matches and a Japanese player named Shoki has a streak going on the Koreans, he beat all 4 of them twice in a row now and still going. Some seriously good play.

EDIT: Holy shit, somebody reverse OCV'd MADKof with Maxima.

His Duo Lon and Chin appear to be non factors in Japan, he even ditched Chin.

I don't remember which SF game it was (might be 4?) as I'm completely tired and can't remember which one.
No wait, I think it was DP into projectile...

That's probably SF4 where you usually see Ryu players do it. DP then FADC into Ultra.

Its different in that in XIII you are drive canceling a special move straight into another special move. In SF4 you are canceling the special move into a dash so you can do whatever you want after it, the mechanic is almost identical to Breaking from Garou Mark of the Wolves. Only Andy has this ability in XIII.

In XIII you can supercancel a DP into a super for the cost of 1 drive and 1 power bar or drive cancel it into a special for the cost of just one drive.

N4Us

Watching the Korea VS Japan matches and a Japanese player named Shoki has a streak going on the Koreans, he beat all 4 of them twice in a row now and still going. Some seriously good play.

EDIT: Holy shit, somebody reverse OCV'd MADKof with Maxima.

One of the guys from Japan who beat MadKOF, Pamu, is apparently brand new to fighting games as well (only been playing for barely a year or something like that)

Riposte

Is there a good list summarizing the characters? Their strengths, weaknesses, style, and demand. You know, something that answers the question "Who should I play?"

Is there a good list summarizing the characters? Their strengths, weaknesses, style, and demand. You know, something that answers the question "Who should I play?"
The best thing I could recommend is the dream cancel wiki.

Do you have an idea of what kind of character you want to play?

BadWolf

One of the guys from Japan who beat MadKOF, Pamu, is apparently brand new to fighting games as well (only been playing for barely a year or something like that)

Wow.

MrWizard from SRK is running a poll on Facebook asking which games people want to see in the next EVO: https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151203340569383/

You know what to do.

The game's doing pretty well, currently it's actually on top, but it doesn't hurt to keep pushing for the cause

Would have voted but I don't use facebook, glad to hear its doing well though.

shaowebb

MrWizard from SRK is running a poll on Facebook asking which games people want to see in the next EVO: https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151203340569383/

You know what to do.

The game's doing pretty well, currently it's actually on top, but it doesn't hurt to keep pushing for the cause

WOO! Number #2 on the poll! Voted and happy. Can't wait to see this year's grand finals after the hype of last year's. Good God the Perfect on first round answered by another nigh perfect the next round. You could tell from round 1 that the gauntlet was getting thrown down by both men.

The timing on when to do the next hit in combos is annoying me greatly. I either do it to slow that the other character blocks or too fast that I forget what's next since I didn't expect it to work.

stn

Going to be getting this soon. As a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-TIME Street Fighter player, any info you guys can share that makes KoF different? Are there any similar concepts between the two? Like poking, safe chipping, zoning, and so forth?

I hear KoF 13 has no BS - and after playing SF4 and SFxT, I want to play a more rewarding fighter. Even though I really like SFxT (maybe not now with this current 2013 patch, ugh).

Going to be getting this soon. As a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-TIME Street Fighter player, any info you guys can share that makes KoF different? Are there any similar concepts between the two? Like poking, safe chipping, zoning, and so forth?

I hear KoF 13 has no BS - and after playing SF4 and SFxT, I want to play a more rewarding fighter. Even though I really like SFxT (maybe not now with this current 2013 patch, ugh).

It's basically a faster, more rushdown oriented street fighter. In this game zoning is a little neutered compared to past games, and it is also more combo oriented.

Also KOF top 8 is finally starting on the second Canada cup stream.
http://www.twitch.tv/canadacup2

Top Bottom