• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Haven't really had time to play this game in weeks because of school. I think I will try to get online this week, and I'll post on this thread when I start playing. Going to try to go to offline casuals too. I think I might try Kim anchor because I like to start bnbs with lows, and Shen doesn't really have that. Also with Shen I feel like I rely on getting that HD too much, and since I don't know a Kim HD combo, I think that will sort of help me rely on the mechanic less and focus on fundamentals.

I think Shen will teach fundamentals just fine, since he excels at a good chunk of it(notably the air and the command grab game).

shaowebb

What problems are you having with K'?

To answer you question, though, why don't you try Flame Iori? I think he helps in learning how to play KOF.

Keep missing my cancel into the slide to corner carry them on his combo. Just basic stuff keeps flopping with him for some reason with me. Footsie game is still great with him, but once I try to start doing cancel combos with him I keep dropping them. Basic jump u kick into the slide and I just keep blowing it. I've been choking a lot on my fighters lately though. Could be from not playing for a week or so on some of them to finish some projects up. Just felt like my other two were my strongest characters to begin with and if he isn't even doing basics for me anymore then maybe I should test the waters to see if I click with someone else. Did the same with Chin to a degree really but mainly I just wasn't safe with Chin.

shaowebb sounds like you should try EX Kyo. He does the corner carry thing just as well as K', has better tools for mid-range and his corner pressure is amazing.

shaowebb

shaowebb sounds like you should try EX Kyo. He does the corner carry thing just as well as K', has better tools for mid-range and his corner pressure is amazing.

I used to fool around with Kyo and Iori before I got into 13 so I really don't know why I haven't tried to use them yet. Probably just K' being my biggest fave of the big 3 and everyone else seeming so exciting with how they got reworked for 13 maybe.

I'll give EX Kyo and Flame Iori a chance. Its not like their alien to me or anything since anyone whose played KoF even casually like I did has touched base with them over the years. Who would you say has a better matchup against Kim though? I got someone who plays me every once and a while locally and he uses Kim on anchor.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MadMan Cafe Professor said:
SNKPlaymore's new president confirmed to have American business background, public announcement coming. Lowdown here

An official press release is scheduled by SNK Playmore on November 21.
OMG!

Loona

SNKP needs to take the international market into account, and hopefully this CEO can help break the company's more local/national scale of doing things.

Which it should be doing anyway, since they can only sell pachinko in japan, but can sell software everywhere, I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to take that into account.

shaowebb

Yes! I didn't know there was news coming in the next week or so.

Also, I stopped poking around in UMVC3 because all I was doing was just messing around with other teams and got back in some more KoF 13 which was needing real work.

I don't know what was going on with my K' the other day, but I'm hitting his stuff again so I guess I was just having a bad day. I did play my team with Flame Iori and Ex Kyo and wow EX Kyo can pressure. He doesn't have K' ability to keep people at a distance if needed, but geez his pressure is good like K'. He may be a good answer for Kim to use as a backup because his high low pressure seemed good and if I have trouble keeping folks off of K' and I can't get him started to put them in the corner I think Ex Kyo might be better at kind of controlling space from a mid range distance than my K' is.

At least my K' is working again though. I was dropping everything. I'd hate to get rid of his zoning and corner carry but if I run into problems with Kim I think I'm going to try to have a back pocket Ex Kyo to see if I can make it harder for them to get in. This isn't exactly a game you sleep on though. I should just stop poking back through Marvel even if I finally got my team working and focus on KoF XIII since it needs more practice to be consistent with. I guess my K' fell apart from lack of playing him.

EDIT: oh my god I love you Andy. That moment when you are so close in practice against the computer on hard to get an OCV with your first character and trapped by pressure and you do his Kuuhaden kick and neomax cancel it to win while riding your last sliver of health.

Loona

https://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK/status/268847019127357440

I'm going to interpret this as a really meta way to say that KoF XIII is confirmed for EVO2013, between its reception in 2012 and doing really well on that FB poll.

Going beyond that would just make me imagine he knows something we don't because likely knowing folks from Atlus and them probably being more aware than what SNKP's up to than the rest of use mortals could lead me to imagine things that might get me dissapointed, but I so want to hope...

https://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK/status/268847019127357440

I'm going to interpret this as a really meta way to say that KoF XIII is confirmed for EVO2013, between its reception in 2012 and doing really well on that FB poll.

Going beyond that would just make me imagine he knows something we don't because likely knowing folks from Atlus and them probably being more aware than what SNKP's up to than the rest of use mortals could lead me to imagine things that might get me dissapointed, but I so want to hope...

You might be reading a bit too much into it.

shaowebb

I'm trying not to, but I can at least not believe what crosses my mind :p

Still, it's an odd thing to tweet. The replies comparing SvC favorably to SFxT are funny at least.

I know SvC was touted as terrible and after playing CVS2 myself I felt letdown getting it myself, but this was all back when I was super casual with these games so I don't remember or know enough to remember what was so particularly bad about it. I remember a lot of BS from Mr. Karate and Kyosuke in general with specials and hypers, but other than balance were there other things in particular that were busted?

Also I agree its more fun than SFxTekken lol. I liked beat the clock better when it was a game show and not a SF crossover game.

BadWolf

I know SvC was touted as terrible and after playing CVS2 myself I felt letdown getting it myself, but this was all back when I was super casual with these games so I don't remember or know enough to remember what was so particularly bad about it. I remember a lot of BS from Mr. Karate and Kyosuke in general with specials and hypers, but other than balance were there other things in particular that were busted?

Also I agree its more fun than SFxTekken lol. I liked beat the clock better when it was a game show and not a SF crossover game.

That game was really fun, the first time I booted it I played a few min of single player and then jumped straight online. My very first opponent was a Capcomer so it was literally SNK VS Capcom for a couple of hours lol.

The game had some really funky hitboxes and the balance was overall very iffy (understandable since SNK was pretty much forced to make and release it as quickly as possible, thus the bad blood between them and Capcom for a while).

The main problem was the Front Ground Step mechanic though, the person blocking was basically at a huge advantage. Doing block strings was a huge no no and often meant eating a big combo.

shaowebb

Wow so is Ex Kyo supposed to be so good at jump ins? I keep messing around with him and it seems that he always wins with those.

Wow so is Ex Kyo supposed to be so good at jump ins? I keep messing around with him and it seems that he always wins with those.

Yeah, all of his aerial normals are really good. The best move he has for pressure is still down C during a hyperhop, but his other moves are great for other situations.

shaowebb

Yeah, all of his aerial normals are really good. The best move he has for pressure is still down C during a hyperhop, but his other moves are great for other situations.

Thanks for that. Yeah, it just seemed like if I jumped in he had a high success rate for some reason. Must be that they geared his priority to be aimed at jumpins to affect his playstyle I guess. I'm really digging all the stuff you can create for EX Kyo combo wise. cr B comes out so fast and can be thrown around like crazy for pressure and if you mix in some standing stuff he lights em up with the high low game. I'm popping in a few of these into a standing B and then going into his QCF flaming right hook and drive canceling that into his double kick for stuff right now. Any particular follow ups to the double kick anyone want to suggest?

Im really loving working on a back pocket EX Kyo. His pressure seems totally different than K' and I think I can flip to him if Kim starts eating my K' next time I run into him. BTW my bud is now playing King/Ralf/Kim and I hate them with a passion. If I stuff King I'm set, but if that meter gets to building...well...theres a reason I hate his Kim. Also the dude loves to punch the ground with Ralf and try to build meter. I can't tell if its working for him or not because him doing that is generally how he loses Ralf.

I use Andy/Vice/K' still and I'm working on a backpocket EX Kyo. Used to use Chin, but I wasn't very safe with him so I dropped him.

Thanks for that. Yeah, it just seemed like if I jumped in he had a high success rate for some reason. Must be that they geared his priority to be aimed at jumpins to affect his playstyle I guess. I'm really digging all the stuff you can create for EX Kyo combo wise. cr B comes out so fast and can be thrown around like crazy for pressure and if you mix in some standing stuff he lights em up with the high low game. I'm popping in a few of these into a standing B and then going into his QCF flaming right hook and drive canceling that into his double kick for stuff right now. Any particular follow ups to the double kick anyone want to suggest?

Im really loving working on a back pocket EX Kyo. His pressure seems totally different than K' and I think I can flip to him if Kim starts eating my K' next time I run into him. BTW my bud is now playing King/Ralf/Kim and I hate them with a passion. If I stuff King I'm set, but if that meter gets to building...well...theres a reason I hate his Kim. Also the dude loves to punch the ground with Ralf and try to build meter. I can't tell if its working for him or not because him doing that is generally how he loses Ralf.

I use Andy/Vice/K' still and I'm working on a backpocket EX Kyo. Used to use Chin, but I wasn't very safe with him so I dropped him.

I use EX Kyo on my team, but I'm not very good with him and only know some simple bnbs. You can follow up those upkicks with his hcb + k move. You can also follow them up with level 1 or level 2 orochinagi. Here is a combo video that might help you get some useful ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2B4kQaNHs

shaowebb

I use EX Kyo on my team, but I'm not very good with him and only know some simple bnbs. You can follow up those upkicks with his hcb + k move. You can also follow them up with level 1 or level 2 orochinagi. Here is a combo video that might help you get some useful ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2B4kQaNHs

Oooooooooooh I like these. I was trying for something like the one where he x2 cr b , stand b, right hook, double kick, wheel kick...

However I didn't know in the corner I could double kick first and then pop two hooks off into more stuff. I really like his combination punch so I may try to use the one around 1:33 a lot since it goes directly into that and takes them to the corner into his ex version of his AA move. Lots of cancels and ex going on, but since EX Kyo would be a backpocket anchor to replace my K' where needed this is fine because he should have meter (unless Vice drains it all lol.

x2 cr v, standing b, double kick, ex hook, hook combination, ex aa move looks really good. You can neomax cancel that too right? Should be good that way.

I think my key to unlocking his best stuff will be to stop using the hook before the double kick so that I can get the extended juggle off of the double kick to let me link more stuff into the combo. Thanks for this. Gonna hit the lab later tonight on EX Kyo some more after I work on an animatic.

shaowebb

Huh...you know the inputs for EX Kyo's stuff feels really similar to the inputs I use for Vice's stuff.Multiple crB ,standing B into qcf or qcb motions finish/extend with dealers choice based on meter is pretty much my meterless go to for Vice. Timing and stuff is different, but inputs are pretty similar. No wonder EX Kyo is coming along easy since the muscle memory is pretty similar.

Usually for Vice I tend to use her st D into F+A to setup stuff, but the cr B into standing B works too so I already sort of had this muscle memory down for mashing out lows then a standing into quarter circles. I don't think I'll have much trouble getting EX Kyo ready as a back up with this as a fallback skill that I shouldn't go rusty on. Can't wait to setup a time to take on my Buddy's King/Ralf/Kim team again. Here's hoping the plan works when it comes down to Kim because where Kim's pressure is concerned who knows if there is a real answer.

I have a question about run up grab in this game guys. When I try run up grab I will get a C to come out instead. I have to end up crouching and then the throw will come out. Is there a way to run up grab without having to crouch?

Shadow780

I have a question about run up grab in this game guys. When I try run up grab I will get a C to come out instead. I have to end up crouching and then the throw will come out. Is there a way to run up grab without having to crouch?

You just start running and hit then hold back+C/D.

shaowebb

God EX Kyo is like a sandbox off of qcf DD (doublekick). I tried messing with it and noticed if I followed it up with qcf C (the hook) and then went for EX dp (AA flame spin) that they sometimes end up behind me and I put myself into the corner. Is this a thing? Is there a strict timing thing to this move to keep them in the corner? So weird.

Finding all kinds of links after double kick though. stC (uppercut) qcf A series (the one two punch combos), cr anything all work and all off them seem to have their own list of followups you can perform after doing them. Gonna take me awhile to study damage and timing to see whats the easiest to do that nets me the most. I'm noticing I'm starting to get the occasional issue with EX Kyo I did with Vice which is sometimes I'll want to go from a crouching into a standing version of B then do a quarter circle move and instead I'll input it so fast that I end up doing 2 crouching moves and the standing never comes out. In EX Kyo's case thats his double kick low so I may need to switch him to a standing B setup instead of trying to squeeze those extra lows to be safe till my timing is more solid. Great combo character to be sure and his B is super fast and all his jump approaches are good ( think the punch might crossup...)

Also to see if the Vice thing held up I played her in training some more and yeah its generally the old cr B st B into quarter circles that seemed familiar except for her its quarter circle back motions mainly and different timings because her B's tend to push people pretty far given their poke distance. Love Vice btw.

shaowebb

G-Mantle ring!... I don't think I'd ever noticed that in any other Shen Woo illustration, nice.

Shen Woo is awesome. I love how if you hit his big move where he raises his fist to the sky that he NEVER puts it down and holds the pose all the way to the next round if it KO's someone. He's lost in his own moment in time soaking it in.

That and Shen Woo's chargeable fist is super fun to rip loose on someone. Makes you feel like the brawling street tough he is supposed to be everytime you do it.

Loona

It was pretty refreshing when shen Woo was introduced, since while he's a pretty standard archtype in the genre, he's just so well done - and when artwork reveals extra tidbits (like one other pic where you can see "Fist of God" written in his bracelet, I think) it just makes him shine further.

The Sun poll continues, Terry was the only SNK character to survive the first round:( http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/15/the-ultimate-fighting-game-battle-royale-round-2

shaowebb

It was pretty refreshing when shen Woo was introduced, since while he's a pretty standard archtype in the genre, he's just so well done - and when artwork reveals extra tidbits (like one other pic where you can see "Fist of God" written in his bracelet, I think) it just makes him shine further.

The Sun poll continues, Terry was the only SNK character to survive the first round:( http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/15/the-ultimate-fighting-game-battle-royale-round-2

Maybe if the poll was spanish? I know Latin America has a pretty darn loyal SNK fanbase. Well whatever, I don't need them to justify this game or its history as good or not. Mainly all I see is that these days people watch KoF XIII, Marvel and SF. Persona seems to be doing okay, but I dont hear anything much from MK, SC, BB, SG, Tekken or any of the others too much.

My guess is KoF XIII has the best defensive options and both those and combos are balanced around a pretty solid meter game that doesn't lean heavily in either direction. It just has such a huge hype factor to watch and play.

Slygmous

I finally managed to track down this game! It came with some kinda art CD too which is cool.

I just want to say Dark Ash is a troll, I had to jump kick > low kick him over and over to take him down. On the beginner difficulty.

I finally managed to track down this game! It came with some kinda art CD too which is cool.

I just want to say Dark Ash is a troll, I had to jump kick > low kick him over and over to take him down. On the beginner difficulty.

You can destroy both bosses with jump CD frame traps into combos.

Welcome to KOF, though. If you have any questions, we will do our best to answer. :)

shaowebb

Who you thinking about maining Slygmous? The folks here helped me figure out a lot of characters to try out based on the sorts of things I liked using in this and other games I've played. Maybe they could point you to some fun stuff to try out too. The community here is pretty awesome.

Slygmous

Thanks for all the advice and friendly greetings!
I'm not entirely new to KOF, I also have 2002UM on XBLA (though I'm awful at it). Funny thing is I discovered the series from a topic on GAF about dodgy character stances.

At the moment I'm mostly using the K' team, though I'm terrible with K' himself. In 2002UM I used Kula and Whip (who is sadly missing in this game).
Trying out Mai right now, I can actually get the drive cancel TA with her. Gonna go try and unlock Saiki.

shaowebb

Thanks for all the advice and friendly greetings!
I'm not entirely new to KOF, I also have 2002UM on XBLA (though I'm awful at it). Funny thing is I discovered the series from a topic on GAF about dodgy character stances.

At the moment I'm mostly using the K' team, though I'm terrible with K' himself. In 2002UM I used Kula and Whip (who is sadly missing in this game).
Trying out Mai right now, I can actually get the drive cancel TA with her. Gonna go try and unlock Saiki.

;_; You and everyone here. In 11 I played Oswald Shion Duck King and I miss them too, but I think Whip is probably the most frequently mentioned character people state they want back. She was so good that Marvel created Super Skrull based on a lot of her character's tricks trying to put their own spin on it.

Whip was just unique and offers something different to every KoF she appears in.

Other notable absentees of worth:
  • Jhun Hoon
  • Tizoc
  • Gato
  • B Jenet
  • Adelheid
  • Blue Mary
  • Vanessa
  • Angel
  • Foxy
  • Heidern
  • May Lee
  • Chang
  • Choi Bounge
  • The Entire Orochi Team of Chris, Yashiro, Shermie

Theres a whole host of other cast that'd be great like Lee Pai Long, Franco Bash, Bob Wilson, Momoko, Bao, and a bunch more, but boy is there ever a bunch missing that were big players back in 2002 UM on up.

We miss you Whip.

I will say this though. With so many of the roster tossed I had to play around in this game and found Vice to be someone I surprisingly clicked with. One door closes and a new one opens. I also use K' BTW. I enjoy his corner carry and zoning potential. That and I just love screaming Fire Crow during AA in my house.

EDIT: Oh and Rock Howard really should join for 14 or 13 UM if it happens. His hybrid moveset would be great for a team. Needs a heavy and zoner to round it out though.

Slygmous

It feels like I missed out on a lot of characters in XI, I hope it gets released online eventually. Shion looked awesome.

Is there much of an online community in Xbox Live anymore? I'd probably get murdered, but it might be fun to try.

shaowebb

It feels like I missed out on a lot of characters in XI, I hope it gets released online eventually. Shion looked awesome.

Is there much of an online community in Xbox Live anymore? I'd probably get murdered, but it might be fun to try.

PS2 version of KoF 11 had a bunch of extra dudes and it goes for cheap ($8 at gamestop) if you got the system. Worth picking up if you find it anywhere. Oswald is incredible and grows on everyone who uses him or at least me.

I wouldn't know about Live though because I don't have live at the moment. Theres a pretty good KoF group on Facebook to use though that you can talk to in addition to us for matchmaking and help. The whole community for this game is generally really welcoming and its pretty open to newcomers. Im new too since this is the first KoF I decided to play non casual. Its harder to do some big combos, but easier to survive than other fighters given its great defensive tools. Best meter game I've ever seen really and likely the most balanced fighter of this gen hands down. With all that going for it I'm sure that someone should be around for matches even if you need to check the facebook boards or here for folks to play.

Slygmous

Why SNK? Why would you make interesting characters for ONE version of the game which is on ONE system (and out of print)? I don't have a PS2 yet, but it seems like the only way to play some KOF games. Oswald looks great. Fingers crossed they are working on some new dream match title....

Anyway, I unlocked Saiki and finished most of story mode (missing a bunch of scenes somehow though). All that's left is unlocking all those art pieces and character endings. I'm loving all the little details in this game, Whip got namedropped a couple of times in the pre-fight dialogue! The sprites even look different in different lighting, which was a nice surprise after Blazblue.

shaowebb

Why SNK? Why would you make interesting characters for ONE version of the game which is on ONE system (and out of print)? I don't have a PS2 yet, but it seems like the only way to play some KOF games. Oswald looks great. Fingers crossed they are working on some new dream match title....

Anyway, I unlocked Saiki and finished most of story mode (missing a bunch of scenes somehow though). All that's left is unlocking all those art pieces and character endings. I'm loving all the little details in this game, Whip got namedropped a couple of times in the pre-fight dialogue! The sprites even look different in different lighting, which was a nice surprise after Blazblue.

Whip makes a few guest appearances in story so look for that and have fun with it. Also Heidern and a couple of others like Duck King show up in story too.

So what kind of things do you look for in characters? Like what sort of moves do you like or playstyles did you enjoy in 2002 UM? Maybe the folks here could tell you some characters to try out that'll come close to scratching your itch.

Slygmous

So what kind of things do you look for in characters? Like what sort of moves do you like or playstyles did you enjoy in 2002 UM? Maybe the folks here could tell you some characters to try out that'll come close to scratching your itch.

Speed and a bit of reach I suppose. Mostly Whip in UM, I loved being able to drag people in from a distance and swing around the screen. The rest of the team was Kula and occasionally Kasumi or Billy. I have yet to try Billy in this version actually.
In BB, I used Tsubaki or Jin (also Litchi for the fun playstyle).

Trying to figure out Shen Woo next, hoping to find some more characters that I can Drive Cancel with.
Sorry for turning this topic into the KOF OT!

Speed and a bit of reach I suppose. Mostly Whip in UM, I loved being able to drag people in from a distance and swing around the screen. The rest of the team was Kula and occasionally Kasumi or Billy. I have yet to try Billy in this version actually.
In BB, I used Tsubaki or Jin (also Litchi for the fun playstyle).

Trying to figure out Shen Woo next, hoping to find some more characters that I can Drive Cancel with.
Sorry for turning this topic into the KOF OT!

Try Vice.

shaowebb

Try Vice.

Ahhhhhhh man! :)
If that happens him and me would both be using Vice and K'. She does best with meter BTW. Hope you like half circle motions and QCB.

Also a good speed character is Kim. I've kind of had problems fighting one as of late so I'll definitely vouch for his pressure with the quickness he has. Haven't played him though so I'm not sure what his drive cancel combos feel like.

BTW how does everyone feel about Hwa Jai and Elizabeth? I hardly see them on stream lately, but they seemed quick too. I've kind of only played around with about 9 characters (Andy, Vice, K', Chin, EX KYO, Mature, Iori, Claw Iori, Shen Woo)...and out of those I only can say I REALLY used 5 which is my current team plus 2 others.

Top Bottom