• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

gonna watch some archives of that Canada cup should be good.

Also:

ZBjEo.jpg

When ppl do this, it's deliberate right? Since it's conveniently at the end of a beating or when the win a couple in a row by luck then duck.

I experienced quite a few 4-5 min timeout delays before I could do anything (apart from log out & log in but I can't be bothered doing that out of principle). It's funny because I see them log in again if they're on my friends list, so they logged out. Or am I being paranoid and it stalls that long automatically?

BadWolf

It does stall like that sometimes, I've had players pm me asking me if we can continue playing since we got disconnected.

When it hangs like that I usually just quit the game and start it again, much faster than waiting.

CafeId is gonna have a tournament tonight in a couple of hours

http://www.twitch.tv/cafeid

Also, this bit of news may be concerning to this community. According to the Professor, SNK has changed their president again.

And in comes a new one.

SNKPlaymore is once again getting a major change in its management as Ryo Mizufune is no longer their corporate president. Taking over Mizufune's seat is Masao Ohata, according to SNKP's official site which has been updated to reflect the change. SNKP hasn't made any form of press release as of yet and it seems like they did this almost silently similarly to the last time. If people recall, Soichiro Hosoya was replaced by Mizufune almost under the radar while everyone was busy during Tokyo Game Show 2010.

While Mizufune was known to have come from SNKP's Pachislot sector, Ohata's background is not known.

This is the third freaking time the president's changed in the past 4 years and quite frankly that's obviously not the sign of a healthy company.

Edgeward

Yea, he was pushing hard for pachinkos iirc so I hope the new Pres gets to more about doing proper ports and the next KOF with good online, regardless if it is financially profitable.

Ah had no idea. Well if that's the case I hope the same with this new President. Would be great to see some new things about KoF emerge.

Onemic

Is there anyone that live in NA, or even better on the east side of US/Canada? I really want to get into this game, but the terrible online really stops me from actually trying to get good.

Is there anyone that live in NA, or even better on the east side of US/Canada? I really want to get into this game, but the terrible online really stops me from actually trying to get good.

Playing on PSN and living in North Carolina. I'd love to have some matches if you're down.
PSN : DiscoShark

Onemic

Playing on PSN and living in North Carolina. I'd love to have some matches if you're down.

sweet, the real thing stopping me from playing is just the lack of good online. Based on my absolutely terrible SF play, I feel as if playing kof will translate much better as a player coming from arcsys(P4A) games.

I will be completely free as I've only ever played about 3 people in this game.

If you want you can add me. just send me a PM through PSN if you want to go at it. i think I might add you too DiscoShark. I not the best at the game, But I can hold my own.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Thanks to the Playstation Plus deal, I now have KoF on PSN as well as my classic one on 360. (Yeah, I'm in NC, too!) So I wouldn't mind fighting someone on PSN sometimes (Had fun times with Shinriji!), though I'll have to struggle with a Dpad, rather than my TE stick!

PSN: SAB-CA

----

That new president info... AGAIN... yeah, I hope this guy is Pro-games. SNKP needs a president that'll direct it to yearly-relevancy again. So many IPs, so many channels they can DO things with now; I'd be happy if they at LEAST did yearly patch updates similiar to Capcom.

Still would be so nice to have some KoF Updates while they work on new projects. Instead of the mass silence. I also miss the XBLA games, and wouldn't mind seeing them get to move their PSMini's to some form of service that could offer 2P.

I guess the most news out of them, ATM, is the Neo Geo X? At least it's SOMETHING...

Onemic

If you want you can add me. just send me a PM through PSN if you want to go at it. i think I might add you too DiscoShark. I not the best at the game, But I can hold my own.

0 bar connections in NC make me sad :(

SNK really has to fix this net code, it's really that bad.

Shadow780

Not making excuses for the shitty netcode, but have you tried wired connection with static ip and dmz mode for your router?

I've found it helps improve the netcode, and obviously the distance between two players.

Onemic

Not making excuses for the shitty netcode, but have you tried wired connection with static ip and dmz mode for your router?

I've found it helps improve the netcode, and obviously the distance between two players.

Unfortunately my PS3 is in my basement so Im forced to use a wireless connection.

Unfortunately my PS3 is in my basement so Im forced to use a wireless connection.

You could always splice or by a longer ethernet cord. Tis what I did before I moved the modem closer to my PS3. I have gotten only on decent connection while on WiFi and it was when I was playing BadWolf. I had like 3 Bars. I tried doing that with another friend and it dipped below 2.

BadWolf

I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

PSN: DoProj

I know its online, but feel free to critique our matches.

Well, I like that neither you or badwolf don't take it easy on me. I like that, though I may get frustrated, but it's the only way I'll learn. It's what my friend did to me in UMvC3 and vice versa in TvC. Going back to some of the matches. You seem to fall for some odd attacks. Like when I abused Kyo's back fierce kick. I do love how you manage to get your juggle down and I got to the point where I can tell if it will KO or not. You were really good at learn my attacks down, which made it hard for me to keep doing the same thing which is what I like to do :(.

Well, I like that neither you or badwolf don't take it easy on me. I like that, though I may get frustrated, but it's the only way I'll learn. It's what my friend did to me in UMvC3 and vice versa in TvC. Going back to some of the matches. You seem to fall for some odd attacks. Like when I abused Kyo's back fierce kick. I do love how you manage to get your juggle down and I got to the point where I can tell if it will KO or not. You were really good at learn my attacks down, which made it hard for me to keep doing the same thing which is what I like to do :(.

Yeah, I just play too scared in general and start trying to do things at the wrong times. I also have huge problems with hit confirming in this game. I am highly predictable too. low shorts, then hop everytime.

Considering all that, I think you just need to reversal more. Be more offensive and really take advantage of your characters jumping normals. Really jump more in general.

I think you should just hop onto training mode for a while, maybe try to do some of your characters trials if you are up for it. If you are too lazy, just look up combos in the dreamcancel wiki.

The first thing I did was missions when i got the game. I didn't even get passed the first one for any of the characters I play, so i decided to just go with the flow and see what happens. As I've said before, I'm really lousy at getting the timing down right to get hits to combo into each other. It doesn't help that I still so used to UMvC3 where it's so easy to just connect hits and jumps are safe, which is one thing that screws me over alot in here and in 3rd Strike.

The first thing I did was missions when i got the game. I didn't even get passed the first one for any of the characters I play, so i decided to just go with the flow and see what happens. As I've said before, I'm really lousy at getting the timing down right to get hits to combo into each other. It doesn't help that I still so used to UMvC3 where it's so easy to just connect hits and jumps are safe, which is one thing that screws me over alot in here and in 3rd Strike.

I still think a little time in training mode could fix all that.

Here try practicing these simple combos in training mode. Remember to time your inputs with the hit spark, and have input data on in the menu.

Ryo
far d/close c, qcf+p

f+a, qcf, hcb+p ( can also try the ex super for damage)

Mr.Karate
cr.b x 3, qcf+a

cl.c, f+b, qcf+a or qcf, hcb+b( can also use ex super too)

Ex Kyo
cr.b x2, cl.b, qcf+a, qcf+a, d

Robert
cr.b x3, d/b charge f+b
st. C, f+B, f+A, dp+C

BadWolf

Easiest way to start with combos in Kof is to begin with combos using command normals after a normal and then into a special or super move. Easy and a great hit confirm.

So with Ryo you can do sHP or sHK, forward+LP, either of the supers.

The sequence becomes even easier with Ryo because the fireball super's motion overlaps with the forward+LP so all you have to do to get the combo is:

HP or sHK, forward+LP, hcf+P

Remember to hold punch down after you do the special move. This goes for any special move in the game, always hold the button down after doing it. This way the game remembers the input for about 5 frames and repeats it for you.

With Terry its even easier since his close HP hits for two hits so you have a long time to confirm if it connected and enter a special or super.

With Ryo it would be easiest to combo with sHK because it has a huge cancellation window on it, its so large in fact that it feels like you can pretty much link his faster moves after it (so it can act as a single hit hit-confirm).

Both with Ryo and Robert you can use this simple combo for good damage, its probably one of the most used combos with Ryo overall because of how fast his crouching HP is:

down HP, fireball, super

The motion becomes easy because of overlap so you just do:

down HP, qcf+P, hcf+P (supercancels into the fireball super)
down HP, qcf+P, hcb+P (supercancels into the ranbu super)

Same applies to Robert, he also has command specials he can add after normals. His Forward+LK has a really big buffer window so you can enter a special way ahead of time and have it come out.

Robert's BnB meterless punish is sHP, forward+LK, hcf+K

BadWolf

Yeah but if you have HD meter it would just drive cancel into Maiden Masher, Xian seems to be able to rekka cancel even with HD meter.

You have to freecancel the second rekka late after its active frames for drive cancelling are over.

So what you are cancelling with the Maiden Masher motion is the recovery of the second recca, not the recca itself.

Shadow780

You have to freecancel the second rekka late after its active frames for drive cancelling are over.

So what you are cancelling with the Maiden Masher motion is the recovery of the second recca, not the recca itself.

i tired cancel late but then I only have time for standing C, not DP. Also I looked at how Iori recovered from rekka from that vid to an empty HD rekka, it seems he recovered around the same time.

BadWolf

i tired cancel late but then I only have time for standing C, not DP. Also I looked at how Iori recovered from rekka from that vid to an empty HD rekka, it seems he recovered around the same time.

If you only have time only for sC then you are doing the freecancel too late.

You wait passed the drive cancel window, the faster you do the cancel after that window the more time you have to follow up with whatever.

Shadow780

Ok a little progress, think to get the timing right I have to do qcf b (which amounts to nothing) then qcb punch. No need to be fast or anything I can get rekka to be cancelled at the right time.

Edit: Nah, don't think ill be pulling this one online any time soon.

shaowebb

How many frames does Iori have to rekka cancel with on his recovery? I poked this and just ended up drive canceling due to trying it too early and I'm wondering what my window is here.

Shadow780

How many frames does Iori have to rekka cancel with on his recovery? I poked this and just ended up drive canceling due to trying it too early and I'm wondering what my window is here.

It should right after the drive cancel window, too early you'll drive cancel and too late you won't have time for DP.

My success rate is about 10%, lol.

shaowebb

Got bored with trying to pick Marvel up again since I got no live account to mess with so I'm back to grinding out the good stuff in KoF because its way more exciting to work on when online isn't on deck.

Still loving Andy/Vice/k' but I'm starting to choke as K' even worse than before. I'm wondering if I should try someone like Kim, Shen Woo, or Clark back there. I know the first two are good anchors, but have no idea on Clark. In this game though its all about who you're good with so my whole team order might change to try and put Vice in back so I don't blow through all my meter with her on 2nd before my anchor shows up.

No clue what to go for really. I love rekkas so I may pop back and give Mature, Iori or Claw another go. Totally in the air and open to anything at this point. Who has a lot of fun combos that don't require as much as K' did?

Sell me on a new character and lineup KoF-GAF.

Loona

Duo Lon might be worth a try too among the rekka cast, he doesn't seem as execution heavy as K' but still has plenty of ways to mess with opponents.

Got bored with trying to pick Marvel up again since I got no live account to mess with so I'm back to grinding out the good stuff in KoF because its way more exciting to work on when online isn't on deck.

Still loving Andy/Vice/k' but I'm starting to choke as K' even worse than before. I'm wondering if I should try someone like Kim, Shen Woo, or Clark back there. I know the first two are good anchors, but have no idea on Clark. In this game though its all about who you're good with so my whole team order might change to try and put Vice in back so I don't blow through all my meter with her on 2nd before my anchor shows up.

No clue what to go for really. I love rekkas so I may pop back and give Mature, Iori or Claw another go. Totally in the air and open to anything at this point. Who has a lot of fun combos that don't require as much as K' did?

Sell me on a new character and lineup KoF-GAF.
What problems are you having with K'?

To answer you question, though, why don't you try Flame Iori? I think he helps in learning how to play KOF.

Haven't really had time to play this game in weeks because of school. I think I will try to get online this week, and I'll post on this thread when I start playing. Going to try to go to offline casuals too. I think I might try Kim anchor because I like to start bnbs with lows, and Shen doesn't really have that. Also with Shen I feel like I rely on getting that HD too much, and since I don't know a Kim HD combo, I think that will sort of help me rely on the mechanic less and focus on fundamentals.

Top Bottom