• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

shaowebb

What is it about them that is giving you problems? It will be easier to help if you are more specific.

EDIT: Holy shit at the finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU3cErQB0I&feature=player_detailpage#t=938s

Lightning loops!

EDIT: EX Kyo is my friend and I keep playing him. Sometimes when I go back to my team I start missing the second shot cancel off of K' and I fail to shoot his projectile. I think that failing to time his second shots into this or other stuff is what happened to me the last time I was having trouble with K' and I was having an off day. Sticking with him, but it made me realize that if I have an off day and I need a zoner my team doesn't really have one if i"m getting inconsistent second shots.

I started messing around through the whole cast looking for projectile folks seeing who I liked and the best projectiles seemed to be on King and Athena. Athena built mad meter and so did King, but King had a few other specials I liked. However, her normals felt kinda bleh so I moved on, Athena felt better with that grab of hers for having an answer to people getting in, but she still felt a bit off. I messed around through most of the cast looking for someone with decent normals and some zoning and I think I like Yuri even though shes not what I'd call a zoner. She just cuts off screen pretty good with her mobility tools and jumping fireballs. God her cancels into divekicks and diving throws felt good.

I may experiment with a scummy Yuri for meter build since she has some really easy inputs so it'd be hard to forget how to use her stuff from muscle memory. I did notice something interesting though with Terry. That uppercut thing of his (toward Heavy I think) seems really quick and like it cancels well to make him safe on stuff. How good is that with him? It felt like I could use it in between about anything to turn stuff into combos.

Just messing around today and seeing what exists and discovering I like Yuri and that Terry has some interesting stuff with his uppercut. Any thoughts on my first impressions guys?

N4Us

Terry actually has an easy combo off that punch (which is DownForward in it's motion, not like a fireball but like crouching forward) you're talking about. After hit, cancel into short Burn Knuckle, drive cancel into Crackshoot, then you have a variety of options after that, such as Rising Tackle or EX Buster Wolf. It's also a pretty good close anti-air.

The one you see at 0:14 here is what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGsjCLuTSy8

shaowebb

Terry actually has an easy combo off that punch (which is DownForward in it's motion, not like a fireball but like crouching forward) you're talking about. After hit, cancel into short Burn Knuckle, drive cancel into Crackshoot, then you have a variety of options after that, such as Rising Tackle or EX Buster Wolf. It's also a pretty good close anti-air.

The one you see at 0:14 here is what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGsjCLuTSy8

Nice. I guess I was confusing his uppercut input with the direction for the backfist. Still it seemed useful and i'm betting in HD mode you could probably take that rising tackle and go into other stuff couldn't you? Like Neo Max or something. Do you think you could do more uppercuts before they land from Rising Tackle? Its a pretty special loaded combo so shouldn't it also build decent meter too?

My big question though is how do you keep him safe? Misjudge your distance on a special and you'll end up pretty darn deep and likely be unsafe. I'm betting faster guys could eat him alive unless you played a heavy in and out game. Just curious is all after spending some time browsing through the cast since I have no idea what he induces in block stun on his moves.

We really need some frame data charts to upload stuff to online. If I had all the info it'd be pretty tempting to upload it all into Adobe In Design and make a PDF to browse moves and info on via your phones, tablets or computer to use as a searchable bible.

N4Us

Terry needs to get as close as he possibly can most of the time. If you're fullscreen for a long period of time you're gonna be in some trouble, unless you have an EX Wave ready to guide you to the opponent. If a character with good spacing or projectiles keeps him away he's gonna have issues getting in. Which is why a lot of Terry players rely on crossups and knockdown tactics to lock down their opponents.

The DreamCancel wiki has a large database with damage, combo and frame info for most of the characters.

http://www.dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

BadWolf

Athena. Athena built mad meter and so did King, but King had a few other specials I liked. However, her normals felt kinda bleh so I moved on, Athena felt better with that grab of hers for having an answer to people getting in, but she still felt a bit off. I messed around through most of the cast looking for someone with decent normals and some zoning and I think I like Yuri even though shes not what I'd call a zoner. She just cuts off screen pretty good with her mobility tools and jumping fireballs. God her cancels into divekicks and diving throws felt good.

The great thing about Athena is that not only is she one of the most solid fireball characters in the game but she is also an extremely effective anti-fireball character as well.

I saw Romance hovering over her a few times in tournament recently but he never picked her. Then saw some casual matches of his after where he did pick her and godamn is his Athena nasty, he's probably saving her for a rainy day in tournament. On the opposite end is Justin's Athena, who is probably the most effective Athena in tournament yet. He doesn't do anything special or fancy but destroys people using basic fundamentals.

Dat Clark from previous vids was amazing!

The guy dominated for most of the tournament, so good.

shaowebb

Terry needs to get as close as he possibly can most of the time. If you're fullscreen for a long period of time you're gonna be in some trouble, unless you have an EX Wave ready to guide you to the opponent. If a character with good spacing or projectiles keeps him away he's gonna have issues getting in. Which is why a lot of Terry players rely on crossups and knockdown tactics to lock down their opponents.

The DreamCancel wiki has a large database with damage, combo and frame info for most of the characters.

http://www.dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

Ahhhhh I see. I was thinking terry had to be an in and out guy, but instead he abuses hitboxes and is a crossup up close guy. Sort of like how I abused light Tatsu crossups all day with Ryu in MVC3 except Terry is likely using Crackshot Kicks instead. Thanks for this. I'll read up on him. Im curious if any version of his burn knuckle has invincibility frames.

EDIT: Nope, but apparently his crack shoot is safe on block and frame traps so I can just rely on rolls and footsies to get him in instead of supers like I used to do with Chin's ex rolling wrist shot thing.

The great thing about Athena is that not only is she one of the most solid fireball characters in the game but she is also an extremely effective anti-fireball character as well.

I saw Romance hovering over her a few times in tournament recently but he never picked her. Then saw some casual matches of his after where he did pick her and godamn is his Athena nasty, he's probably saving her for a rainy day in tournament. On the opposite end is Justin's Athena, who is probably the most effective Athena in tournament yet. He doesn't do anything special or fancy but destroys people using basic fundamentals.

Yeah She looked like her stuff would pretty well shutdown zoning offense with her angles and speed. Plus im certain her ex uppercut was mad invincible since it blew through training dummy King's stuff and it covered decent terrain so theres that too. I didn't know Justin Wong played Yuri, but it makes absolute sense for him. He's a footsie guy who plays Rufus and Akuma so her fireballs and divekicks are like coming home to fundamentals for him. Divekick looked like it could crossup like a beast too playing footsies and basics with Yuri is probably pretty darn effective. The way she cancel into that kick is sick. I wanna try it on someone crouching or Chin and see how often it connects. I'm betting a lot.

Yuri I don't think will require very much practice to get some results out of like a lot of others because her inputs and gameplan are simple and familiar to me. EX Kyo I am going to focus on grinding and if Im flopping it with someone I'll try to put him in as my first choice. However, if I run into a matchup where I'm getting pressured to death early on I may just go with Yuri because that girl looks to shutdown the screen and control space pretty well.

BadWolf

Yeah She looked like her stuff would pretty well shutdown zoning offense with her angles and speed. Plus im certain her ex uppercut was mad invincible since it blew through training dummy King's stuff and it covered decent terrain so theres that too. I didn't know Justin Wong played Yuri, but it makes absolute sense for him. He's a footsie guy who plays Rufus and Akuma so her fireballs and divekicks are like coming home to fundamentals for him. Divekick looked like it could crossup like a beast too playing footsies and basics with Yuri is probably pretty darn effective. The way she cancel into that kick is sick. I wanna try it on someone crouching or Chin and see how often it connects. I'm betting a lot.

Yuri I don't think will require very much practice to get some results out of like a lot of others because her inputs and gameplan are simple and familiar to me. EX Kyo I am going to focus on grinding and if Im flopping it with someone I'll try to put him in as my first choice. However, if I run into a matchup where I'm getting pressured to death early on I may just go with Yuri because that girl looks to shutdown the screen and control space pretty well.

... I was talking about Athena :p

Grim1ock

Banned
Hello KOFers,

I am an old school kofer who has been playing since 98 which by the way is the truest form of honest fighting and none of this cancelling and neomax stuff :D

Anyways is there any news on a new kof coming soon? i am quite bored of 13 by now.

And is there is anything you would like to be added to 14 apart from new characters? Me i wish they would allows us to pick both kyo and ex kyo in a team!!

shaowebb

... I was talking about Athena :p

LOL. My bad. I just woke up and had been playing Yuri. Yeah she has fast fireballs and projectile reflectors so shes a given anti zoning zoner. Yuri just seemed like she controlled space which is good enough for me I guess. Does Justin Wong not play Yuri then?

Hello KOFers,

I am an old school kofer who has been playing since 98 which by the way is the truest form of honest fighting and none of this cancelling and neomax stuff :D

Anyways is there any news on a new kof coming soon? i am quite bored of 1 by now.

And is there is anything you would like to be added to 14 apart from new characters? Me i wish they would allows us to pick both kyo and ex kyo in a team!!

I'd like frame data for moves to be listed in the move list descriptions in the next game like how Injustice Gods Among Us is doing. Except I'd like it to say what things are on block and possibly have a seperate list for its EX versions down below.

Also I'd like better netcode so that this stuff can be used online easier alongside of some costumes if possible.

We all already know I have a ton of characters I'd like to see in so yeah no need to go into that.

BadWolf

Hello KOFers,

Anyways is there any news on a new kof coming soon? i am quite bored of 1 by now.

Zero news of a new fighter from SNK, nothing unusual though since being super quite is their thing these days.

Whatever they do with XIV, I really hope that moving forward the EX and Drive Cancel systems introduced in XIII remain a part of the series permanently. HD can go but those two are simply excellent.

LOL. My bad. I just woke up and had been playing Yuri. Yeah she has fast fireballs and projectile reflectors so shes a given anti zoning zoner. Yuri just seemed like she controlled space which is good enough for me I guess. Does Justin Wong not play Yuri then?

Nah, he usually uses Karate/Athena/King (in that order). You have to know your stuff with Yuri, using basics won't take you far (which is what Justin does and his team is built around that).

shaowebb

Zero news of a new fighter from SNK, nothing unusual though since being super quite is their thing these days.

Whatever they do with XIV, I really hope that moving forward the EX and Drive Cancel systems introduced in XIII remain a part of the series permanently.

This. The HD Gauge is my favorite balancing tool ever in a fighter. It makes the strategy game element of spending meter actually strategic. So many other games it generally becomes only viable to use meter for certain things, but in KOF XIII its always a case of managing for the matchup and your situation. Its really awesome and it makes combos really creative without letting them go into crazy territory.
Nah, he usually used Karate/Athena/King (in that order). You have to know your stuff with Yuri, using basics won't take you far (which is what Justin does and his team is built around that).

Dang. I thought she'd be a shoe in, though Karate certainly fits. So why is it pure fundamentals won't work with Yuri though? Crossups, air pressure game, good uppercut, good AA. Is it her normals?

BadWolf

Dang. I thought she'd be a shoe in, though Karate certainly fits. So why is it pure fundamentals won't work with Yuri though? Crossups, air pressure game, good uppercut, good AA. Is it her normals?

Yuri can't zone much (which is Justin's main game plan) and relies on relentless pressure and mixups to be effective, which makes her execution heavy if you want to use her to good effect. Definitely not a character for a person who doesn't put much time into the game.

Loona

I want Wild Ambition and Garou (alternate) looks for Ryo and Terry respectively, and maybe a puny passive damage bonus for when your power bar is full, which would make that bar iseful for new players that don't know supers or EXs and double as a throwback to the first KoFs - I love that regular drive cancels can make the Drive bar handy even if you don't know fancy HD combos, so it's a principle I'd like to see extended a bit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Its not much what i know (And even less what i can share") but ive been told that:
  • XIII sales were quite good (Think SNKP numbers not COD numbers)
  • They worked on more characters besides the released cast
    CANT TELL YOU WHO!
  • SNKP is working on a fighting game

Dunno if anything changed with the new president. :(

Its not much what i know (And even less what i can share") but ive been told that:
  • XIII sales were quite good (Think SNKP numbers not COD numbers)
    [*]They worked on more characters besides the released cast
    CANT TELL YOU WHO!
    [*]SNKP is working on a fighting game
Whip n OG 2k2 k9999 & Yama plz.

New fighting game samurai Showdown 2 remake plz.

Loona

[*]They worked on more characters besides the released cast
CANT TELL YOU WHO!
[*]SNKP is working on a fighting game

There was potrair artwork for Adel, he was a natural option... Anyone else would be included in those iOS bonus pics, I figure...

That spoilered statement didn't apply to the new game info, 'fess up!

shaowebb

Whip n OG 2k2 k9999 & Yama plz.

New fighting game samurai Showdown 2 remake plz.

Not gonna happen. I think they got in trouble for putting him in and the best you could hope for is "Nameless" from Ultimate Match who was a repurposed K9999. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Whip got put in. She is one of the most thrown around wishlist characters I see. She's really unique so she stands out as a good choice to add something to a sequel. I'd like to see her and Oswald return the most personally. So many good tools to enjoy with them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
K9999 was a dumb character and everyone at SNKP knew it.
Props to Eolith for Angel though.

BadWolf

How did they not get in trouble with the Grappler Baki people over Gai Tendo? He was an obvious tribute to Baki Hanma and that series is pretty big in japan.

Were most of Gai's moves straight from the comic? Was his look completely based on Baki? Did he have Baki's voice actor voicing him? Did he have Baki's rival's voice actor voice his rival?

Cuz they did all of those with K9999.

shaowebb

Were most of Gai's moves straight from the comic? Was his look completely based on Baki? Did he have Baki's voice actor voicing him? Did he have Baki's rival's voice actor voice his rival?

Cuz they did all of those with K9999.

I know K9999 was way more blatant. Im just saying that Gai was also pretty much Baki through and through on his look. At least Chin isn't entirely made to be an exact look alike of Simon Yuen.

Just figured I'd mention the fact that SNK has done more than one look alike from Manga and pop culture though you're right that likely none hold a candle to K9999. Not even their Grand Kai/Master Roshi DBZ tribute character Chung Paifu from Savage Reign.

Survey is being conducted by local players, they want a worldwide opinion on what KOF fans like, please check this out if any of you have a chance!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dElDeUxiMlZzTmxmaGVKQ1pUNm44SGc6MQ#gid=0

Aaaand done! Awesome survey. I filled it out and hope it does some good.

shaowebb

SVB 2012 KOF13 stream, in the UK.

Watching, stream monstering, and trying to spot differences in these players from other dudes I'm seeing. The UK tourney has a lot slower play with some of these guys though. Seeing a lot of EX Iori beasting and two Kyo's doing well.

EDIT: God both of the last rounds his Karate died on 4 bars or more. I hate seeing guys lose with that much meter. Last one though wasn't too bad considering it was TOD territory but losing with 5 bars and a full HD just makes me sad.

Watching, stream monstering, and trying to spot differences in these players from other dudes I'm seeing. The UK tourney has a lot slower play with some of these guys though. Seeing a lot of EX Iori beasting and two Kyo's doing well.

EDIT: God both of the last rounds his Karate died on 4 bars or more. I hate seeing guys lose with that much meter. Last one though wasn't too bad considering it was TOD territory but losing with 5 bars and a full HD just makes me sad.

They don't hit confirm or anti air very well, kinda reminds me of how I play... lol.

shaowebb

I just found this video commemorating the 10th anniversary of KoF 2002 with a really impressive combo spectacular. Watch, enjoy, and dream about some of this making a return as cast comes back to this series when SNK gets to make the sequel to KoF 13.

So good.

Finally done with school for the semester, so I'll have more time on my hands to play.

Same, just got done today. I would like to play with you guys once I get back home, have better internet there. Will be going to a local this Saturday and entering AE and KoF XIII. Not many play KoF here so maybe like 3 people will enter lol.

BadWolf

Btw Terareflection, don't know if this will help but after playing against Duo Lons it seems one of the most important things to do is to go into practice with all of your characters and see which of their moves punish his rekkas into teleport block string.

Almost every Duo Lon player heavily relies on this (and rekka spam overall) and the moment you show them you can punish it they start to crumble.

Btw Terareflection, don't know if this will help but after playing against Duo Lons it seems one of the most important things to do is to go into practice with all of your characters and see which of their moves punish his rekkas into teleport block string.

Almost every Duo Lon player heavily relies on this (and rekka spam overall) and the moment you show them you can punish it they start to crumble.

I tried throwing before he could teleport to little success, but I'll try that thanks.

BadWolf

I tried throwing before he could teleport to little success, but I'll try that thanks.

Yeah unless you have a 1 frame command grab throwing can be very unreliable and actually leave you open to rekkas if he mashes them after the teleport (because you will do an sC if the throw misses).

Specials/supers are very reliable since you can buffer and use reversal timing.

So at the local it was $10 to play every game so everyone there played KoF XIII. But there were pretty much only three guys there that take the game seriously, including me. I ended up getting second and lost to the guy I've played casuals with before. At least I think this might have gotten more people interested in picking up the game. I keep dropping my jumps and hops in real matches, something I really got to improve on.

shaowebb

So at the local it was $10 to play every game so everyone there played KoF XIII. But there were pretty much only three guys there that take the game seriously, including me. I ended up getting second and lost to the guy I've played casuals with before. At least I think this might have gotten more people interested in picking up the game. I keep dropping my jumps and hops in real matches, something I really got to improve on.

Well done. I keep pushing this game at everyone I know and meet that wants to talk fighters too. I keep hoping for a local scene to develop in WV.

Well done. I keep pushing this game at everyone I know and meet that wants to talk fighters too. I keep hoping for a local scene to develop in WV.

A small amount of people play KoF here as well. Once I'm back home I'm going to try to go to the locals there and see if I can get people interested. From what I know most people there play Marvel, AE, and Tekken.

Fersis

I got into trouble for sharing that little bit of info :(

Loving this thread guys, keep the KOF love going!

Loona

Doubt it, you didn't say anything we didn't already know.

Well there was an interview some time ago where it was stated that SNKP was trying to diversify into other genres: http://www.snk-capcom.com/?p=7898
A mention of a fighting project points to a familar direction, but one that pleases existing fans without giving too much away - from here those looked like sufficiently soothing news, although I'm sure everyone here hopes they succeed at all they attempt.

I hope they don't give you too much trouble, the non-japanese fans don't have many ways to stay in touch or give them money (most cellphone games aren't available here...), so small stuff like this is appreciated, although we'd rather hear it from them in some official capacity.

Top Bottom