• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

A reminder for those interested; I'm starting up the Online Tournament/Dream Dojo series for 2013, starting this Sat. @4pm EST with a Dream Dojo (ranbats/practice/info) session. I'm trying to keep this up every Saturday @4pm, alternating between the two.

You guys who've never been to one can meet in the DreamCancel chat to meet/participate. No late penalty, so come when you can.

And also, here's some upcoming Offline KOF stuff for this weekend

Events & Streams for KOF XIII (Jan. 25-27th)

MindGames: Ignition (360)
Date/Time: Jan. 26th/11am EST
Details: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2699.0

RevoX 2013 (PS3)
Date: Jan. 26-27th
Details: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2789.0
Stream: http://pt-br.twitch.tv/x_revolution

Team St1ckbug's Ranbat Experiment
Date/Time: Jan. 26th
Details: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2777.0
Stream: http://twitch.tv/st1ckbug

Kaos Theory Weekly Ranbats
Date/Time: Jan. 25th
Details: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2682.0

You might want to try posting new news at the general fighting game thread in the future, solid.

Speaking of, I really can't wait to see Kleber Yagami at Evo this year.

shaowebb

The "is KOF dead" thread has me talking so much KOF right now before bed that I'm gonna have to wakeup and hit the lab in the morning lol. Its been awhile since I tried to lab up some Andy. He's on point and I keep playing footsie heavy stuff with him due to who my matchups are when one of my friends are over. Its been forever since I did an Andy OCV and that one time with the Neomax cancel finish was a highlight for me. Time to practice someone on my team without a K in their name.

I'll always have fond memories of you Vice and Chin, but Andy/K'/ EX Kyo is just too good together. Have fun hanging out together in the wings. Maybe I can slip one of em in sometime versus my bud's Athena team since he never got to play me when I ran either of them. He caught me shortly after I switched out for anchor EX Kyo and moved my K' up to middle position.

Maybe later though. For now, time to see what I can do with Andy in the lab in the morning <3

I love this game.

The "is KOF dead" thread has me talking so much KOF right now before bed that I'm gonna have to wakeup and hit the lab in the morning lol. Its been awhile since I tried to lab up some Andy. He's on point and I keep playing footsie heavy stuff with him due to who my matchups are when one of my friends are over. Its been forever since I did an Andy OCV and that one time with the Neomax cancel finish was a highlight for me. Time to practice someone on my team without a K in their name.

I'll always have fond memories of you Vice and Chin, but Andy/K'/ EX Kyo is just too good together. Have fun hanging out together in the wings. Maybe I can slip one of em in sometime versus my bud's Athena team since he never got to play me when I ran either of them. He caught me shortly after I switched out for anchor EX Kyo and moved my K' up to middle position.

Maybe later though. For now, time to see what I can do with Andy in the lab in the morning <3

I love this game.

You'll have lots of fun with Andy, trust me. Working on some tactics with him myself lately; let me know if you feel like comparing notes.

shaowebb

lolno.

I don't really know how steam handles PC games, can it be modded?

If it hits steam it can definitely be modded by players. You get the game files and it just comes down to programming knowledge to unpack certain things so that you can access the game code itself. Fans do this for lots of stuff and for KoF XIII it'd be a top priority for an eager modder to do that to make a reputation. A mod like that for netcode helps sell you to studios designing netcode.

shaowebb

Swap shitty default netcode with GGPO, GLORIOUS.

EVO 2014 locked down with the amount of players that would add to the fanbase. I wonder if unpackers could net me the sprite list to edit in graphics programs? I would be making me a shirtless Clark with terminator damage for certain.

So if this goes through and the community does provide mods for better netcode, I might have to buy a new laptop and buy the game again?

Well I guess. Kind of an expensive proposition, though.

It would be amazing if KoF XIII comes out on PC. Most of my time is on PC and I mainly play AE on PC too. This would be a day one purchase for, along with the other KoF titles if they get released too. One can only hope the netcode will be better.

shaowebb

Get your wallets ready guys. Something is going down...check out what a Game Hub search in community pulls up...

r3YBMGf.jpg

BELIEVE.

Just curious, since I know next to nothing about Steam: how has steam been working for other fighters? Can they support most arcade sticks? What should I realisitically expect of the ports if all three KOFs show up there?

Just curious, since I know next to nothing about Steam: how has steam been working for other fighters? Can they support most arcade sticks? What should I realisitically expect of the ports if all three KOFs show up there?

The biggest fighters on Steam have been SSF4: AE and SFxT. PC AE has a decent number of players, and there are several Steam communities made for the game in order to connect with other players. Groups can also be made for the KoF games if they are ever released on Steam. Arcade stick compatibility would not be an issue with Steam, it would have to be with the game. AE had this issue when it first came out but that was fixed through patching. My TE gives me no issues when playing on PC.

The biggest fighters on Steam have been SSF4: AE and SFxT. PC AE has a decent number of players, and there are several Steam communities made for the game in order to connect with other players. Groups can also be made for the KoF games if they are ever released on Steam. Arcade stick compatibility would not be an issue with Steam, it would have to be with the game. AE had this issue when it first came out but that was fixed through patching. My TE gives me no issues when playing on PC.

Thanks for the answer solidgear.

And one question I forgot to ask: Anyone here on Gaf in Japan to play this with; have a few regulars to play with, but the more the merrier.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I hope all three games come out and have good netcode. I miss KOF, I really do- I play fighters pretty much exclusively online at this point- the two UMs have been deader than dead online and '98 UM has awful netcode. XIII online is decent at best. Give me a good '98 UM port and I won't even need 2002 UM and XIII.

Karate and F. Iori all over the place with these guys.

I'd like to say "I can't blame them," but I can at this point. This is one of the last fighters that should rely on higher tiers, even for high-level tournaments I think. Picking an uncommon character might give them a match-up advantage if everyone has Karate/F. Iori/Shen/Hwa/Benimaru, or something like that.

And for those interested, having a Dream Dojo online session this Sat for KOF XIII.

Info posted here - http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2363.0

Hey everyone!

I signed up for KOF XIII at Evo, but haven't played it yet (well, except for a brief time when I first got it, and then stopped shortly after my first underwater online match), and I want to get back into it again since from what I have watched overall, it really just does seem to be a great fighting game and definitely one I want to try out.

But, since I'm so scrubby, or at the very least, will be scrubby when I first pick it up again, who are some good beginner characters to use? Or is it sort of like, just pick and stick with whoever you want? Also, there's no real importance to team order, right? I know there aren't assists, but I'm not sure if there are any benefits or downsides to having certain characters in certain positions.

If anyone could help me out with these sort of basics before I start digging into the game, that would be awesome, thanks! :)

Hey everyone!

I signed up for KOF XIII at Evo, but haven't played it yet (well, except for a brief time when I first got it, and then stopped shortly after my first underwater online match), and I want to get back into it again since from what I have watched overall, it really just does seem to be a great fighting game and definitely one I want to try out.

But, since I'm so scrubby, or at the very least, will be scrubby when I first pick it up again, who are some good beginner characters to use? Or is it sort of like, just pick and stick with whoever you want? Also, there's no real importance to team order, right? I know there aren't assists, but I'm not sure if there are any benefits or downsides to having certain characters in certain positions.

If anyone could help me out with these sort of basics before I start digging into the game, that would be awesome, thanks! :)

Hey Smedwicks,

Before I make any beginners recommendations, since I think the game is really balanced, with everyone having tools and useful access to the game's systems, I'd ask what kind of playstyles you usually like in fighting games. Grapplers? Shotos (fireball, anti-air)? Charge characters? Speedy characters? Tricky characters?

Normally, Athena, Terry, Kyo, EX Iori, Robert, and several others are the first ones to come to mind for beginners recommendations, since they're Ryu/Ken esque.

Team order, once you get used to utilizing drive cancels, EX, and other meter management, will become important, but there are downsides in some characters able to use meter better than others. The first thing I'd work on is making sure whoever you use can fight and win with no drive (blue) or stock/power (orange) at all; from there, it only gets advantageous.

Other than asking questions here (which you still should), if you haven't checked out the wikis for the game yet (DC's - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=King_of_Fighters_XIII), it's a good place to help you build yourself up.

shaowebb

Ex Kyo is my suggestion. Rekkas, good damage, high priority approaches. You'll get that starter hit you need easily with him and his combos are pretty easy to get.

Hey Smedwicks,

Before I make any beginners recommendations, since I think the game is really balanced, with everyone having tools and useful access to the game's systems, I'd ask what kind of playstyles you usually like in fighting games. Grapplers? Shotos (fireball, anti-air)? Charge characters? Speedy characters? Tricky characters?

Normally, Athena, Terry, Kyo, EX Iori, Robert, and several others are the first ones to come to mind for beginners recommendations, since they're Ryu/Ken esque.

Team order, once you get used to utilizing drive cancels, EX, and other meter management, will become important, but there are downsides in some characters able to use meter better than others. The first thing I'd work on is making sure whoever you use can fight and win with no drive (blue) or stock/power (orange) at all; from there, it only gets advantageous.

Other than asking questions here (which you still should), if you haven't checked out the wikis for the game yet (DC's - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=King_of_Fighters_XIII), it's a good place to help you build yourself up.

To be honest, I don't think I have a set playstyle. Like, in Marvel, I go between intense rushdown with Nova/Cap to zoning with Cap/Doom. I don't have a set character in SF4 since I haven't really dug into it as seriously as I would like to (though I'm going between like Sagat, Honda, and Fei Long). It's weird to say, but I guess I just prefer 'honest' characters, like how I see Captain America in Marvel just being the most honest character in that game.

I'll make sure to check out that wiki, thanks! And I'm sure as I start getting into the game, I'll ask more questions!

The one time I played it I picked up Kensou because I saw a lot of people play him, otherwise I have no clue.

Loona

When it comes to "shoto" characters, Andy deserves a mention too, he's served me well even if I javen't mastered some of his specifics like Kohadan cancels for combos.
Gotta love drive cancelling Zaneiken into Shoryudan though.

Tizoc

PS3 ver. is currently $15 on US PSN, and the complete unlock is for $5.
So all in all, that's a little under $20 for the complete pack.

To be honest, I don't think I have a set playstyle. Like, in Marvel, I go between intense rushdown with Nova/Cap to zoning with Cap/Doom. I don't have a set character in SF4 since I haven't really dug into it as seriously as I would like to (though I'm going between like Sagat, Honda, and Fei Long). It's weird to say, but I guess I just prefer 'honest' characters, like how I see Captain America in Marvel just being the most honest character in that game.

I'll make sure to check out that wiki, thanks! And I'm sure as I start getting into the game, I'll ask more questions!

The one time I played it I picked up Kensou because I saw a lot of people play him, otherwise I have no clue.

Honest characters you say? I get a sense of what you mean with CA in Marvel. I guess I'd suggest one or a few of my main team: Kim, Andy, Ryo. Good characters that take time and skill to master over some others, but worthy investments, and pretty fair. Other than that Terry and Athena come to mind too.

My main suggestion is to go into training and mess around with every character over time. Not just to pick a good team for yourself, but to start learning about your opponents characters and how they'll use them. Match-up information will be so important for EVO competing.

When it comes to "shoto" characters, Andy deserves a mention too, he's served me well even if I javen't mastered some of his specifics like Kohadan cancels for combos.
Gotta love drive cancelling Zaneiken into Shoryudan though.

I keep wanting to mention Andy too, but even as a shoto, he feels different. He really feels like a Ryu/Guy hybrid with all his speediness and style, and his juggling in XIII. It's a shame I don't see many using him anymore.

It's a fine team. It can be in that order as, or you could switch Iori and Karate.

Agree with Terareflection, but just make sure that you don't rely on Karate and leave Duo on a lower skill level. Duo in the right hands could take out 2 1/2 people, and it's a bigger shock when he does it over Karate.

BadWolf

I'd like to say "I can't blame them," but I can at this point. This is one of the last fighters that should rely on higher tiers, even for high-level tournaments I think. Picking an uncommon character might give them a match-up advantage if everyone has Karate/F. Iori/Shen/Hwa/Benimaru, or something like that.

Give people one of the most balanced fighting games to date and they will still try their best to tier whore *shrug*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJZ4ONJ_uU

Something cool for Vice players at 6:50.

At first I was all holy shit why didn't anyone notice this before but then I went to practice and it seems character specific, maybe even just Chin specific. For some reason she launches him higher than other characters during her normal throw which gives her time to get him with the EX sleeve. It didn't work against both the other characters I tried (Iori and Yuri).

Still, very cool of him to do it in tournament for sure.

PS3 ver. is currently $15 on US PSN, and the complete unlock is for $5.
So all in all, that's a little under $20 for the complete pack.

Iirc that $5 complete unlock is just for the in game unlocks (Saiki, Billy, colors, gallery etc), you still have to buy the EX characters seperately.

Did some testing on what Solid posted; the Vice ex sleeve after throw also works on Athena. But yeah it does seem character specific, it won't work on Kensou for instance.

Will test on the rest of the cast later, would make for some good procrastination.

BadWolf

Did some testing on what Solid posted; the Vice ex sleeve after throw also works on Athena. But yeah it does seem character specific, it won't work on Kensou for instance.

Will test on the rest of the cast later, would make for some good procrastination.

Hmm.. both Chin and Athena have floaty jumps.

Honest characters you say? I get a sense of what you mean with CA in Marvel. I guess I'd suggest one or a few of my main team: Kim, Andy, Ryo. Good characters that take time and skill to master over some others, but worthy investments, and pretty fair. Other than that Terry and Athena come to mind too.

My main suggestion is to go into training and mess around with every character over time. Not just to pick a good team for yourself, but to start learning about your opponents characters and how they'll use them. Match-up information will be so important for EVO competing.

I keep wanting to mention Andy too, but even as a shoto, he feels different. He really feels like a Ryu/Guy hybrid with all his speediness and style, and his juggling in XIII. It's a shame I don't see many using him anymore.

Agree with Terareflection, but just make sure that you don't rely on Karate and leave Duo on a lower skill level. Duo in the right hands could take out 2 1/2 people, and it's a bigger shock when he does it over Karate.

Awesome, I'll make sure I check those characters out and go about all that. I'm not against zoners, rushdown, gimmicky characters, or anything, but I was just mostly bringing about a metaphor as to what I believe I do best with, at least in Marvel. But thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check all that out once I start picking up KOF!

Top Bottom