• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

Is it just me or is Joe really popular with new players? Every time I see a new one pop up, which has been often since it went free for PS+, they are almost guaranteed to have Joe on their team.

Oh and a fun fact I came across recently, apparently Joe, Gai Tendo and Batsu (Rival Schools) have the same voice actor.

The guy has quite the body of works it looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuyuki_Hiyama#Games

Loona

Is it just me or is Joe really popular with new players? Every time I see a new one pop up, which has been often since it went free for PS+, they are almost guaranteed to have Joe on their team.

I figure it's the easy Bakuretsuken command and Joe feeling pretty flexible and not too reliant on more advanced stuff like stances or rekkas.

Oh and a fun fact I came across recently, apparently Joe, Gai Tendo and Batsu (Rival Schools) have the same voice actor.

The guy has quite the body of works it looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuyuki_Hiyama#Games

Apparently they started using him in the games after he played Joe in the FF anime, which shaped his characterization a lot since.
I do miss short haired Joe though.

BadWolf

I figure it's the easy Bakuretsuken command and Joe feeling pretty flexible and not too reliant on more advanced stuff like stances or rekkas.

Yeah I do see a lot of Bakuretsuken lol.

Apparently they started using him in the games after he played Joe in the FF anime, which shaped his characterization a lot since.
I do miss short haired Joe though.

Oh, interesting. I really like the FF anime movie but have only seen the dub.

The guy's voice does fit Joe perfectly.

Some help me make my Yuri less terrible, please. I mean, I feel like I am being too predictable with her since I overuse her divekick. What else could I use besides that and command grabs?

For the record, I think Joe is underrated myself. Poor guy is just overlooked for drunk ass Hwa.

What's a good starting point for learning this for someone that doesn't know how to play any fighting games but is familiar with frame data and notation?

Loona

Some help me make my Yuri less terrible, please. I mean, I feel like I am being too predictable with her since I overuse her divekick. What else could I use besides that and command grabs?

Even if her Kohokens aren't as good as Ryo's, they's still decent keep-away tools, but that's just the style I gravitate towards, odds are it's considered sub-optimal for her to say the least, but it's nice to have the option.

Grim1ock

Banned
Guys who has more potential between ex kyo and kyo? I love both characters and i wished if we could pick both in a single team. My other 2 characters in the team are terry and k'

Guys who has more potential between ex kyo and kyo? I love both characters and i wished if we could pick both in a single team. My other 2 characters in the team are terry and k'

I don't play either Kyo a lot, but many players say that normal Kyo is better, however you really can't go wrong with either one.

I have more fun with ex-kyo myself.

I believe regular Kyo has better damage potential, especially in the corner. His down+C also has a wider hitbox I believe, so that allows for more crossups. I just find Ex Kyo to be more fun and easier to use, so that's who I have on my team.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv121882948

There is a tournament going on in Japan right now officially sponsored by SNK. You may get kicked out once or twice with some Nico policy about free spots, but just refresh the stream. Some 18K people watching now.

If you got nothing to do tomorrow or can power through with an all nighter there will be some 2002 UM and 13 Climax action for you to enjoy.

At around 6 PM EST there will be a JAPAN vs KOREA 5v5 with

Team Korea: MadKOF, Verna, Gutts, Lacid, Kenssouzang
Team Japan: Shoki, Dune, Ogosho, Rinomoto, Koukou

Shadow780

Looks like final round just started, brewed some tea in the morning and streaming, so good.

godayum Koreans bodying everyone.

Wow this is single elimination? So much uncertainty!

shaowebb

My buddy Bill and me got together today and did some KoF XIII and I think he might get into it. Hopefully I can get myself a small circle to play with now. He really got hooked on the cancels and figuring out that the timing on when to pop certain cancels would be the difference between doing say 2 sections of health damage and 3. He played some Yuri, but got really excited messing around with Athena and I think he's gonna end up maining her hard if he stays around. He liked her Phoenix Bomb and he enjoyed doing her command throw into Psycho Sword and he kept trying to figure out more ways to add hits to it all. Definitely seemed hooked on her stuff and after showing him some vids he acted more excited than intimidated by the game so Im off to a good start.

EX Kyo is a permanent with me now. I've been doing Andy/K'/EX Kyo now and just leaving Vice alone. I dont get to play much since my indie studio is in crunch time now and I wear a lot of hats on the job plus I hold a day job, but its looking like as far as KoF XIII time goes now I may have a few regulars to relax with that Im friends with.

Has similar happened to other folks here? All I did was just show them some tools and let a friend poke in the lab with whoever they liked to look at and then I got to watch them light up as they made a game out of finding cancels and timings. It was pretty cool catching a glimpse of the game clicking with him then taking hold for awhile.

My buddy Bill and me got together today and did some KoF XIII and I think he might get into it. Hopefully I can get myself a small circle to play with now. He really got hooked on the cancels and figuring out that the timing on when to pop certain cancels would be the difference between doing say 2 sections of health damage and 3. He played some Yuri, but got really excited messing around with Athena and I think he's gonna end up maining her hard if he stays around. He liked her Phoenix Bomb and he enjoyed doing her command throw into Psycho Sword and he kept trying to figure out more ways to add hits to it all. Definitely seemed hooked on her stuff and after showing him some vids he acted more excited than intimidated by the game so Im off to a good start.

EX Kyo is a permanent with me now. I've been doing Andy/K'/EX Kyo now and just leaving Vice alone. I dont get to play much since my indie studio is in crunch time now and I wear a lot of hats on the job plus I hold a day job, but its looking like as far as KoF XIII time goes now I may have a few regulars to relax with that Im friends with.

Has similar happened to other folks here? All I did was just show them some tools and let a friend poke in the lab with whoever they liked to look at and then I got to watch them light up as they made a game out of finding cancels and timings. It was pretty cool catching a glimpse of the game clicking with him then taking hold for awhile.

At the last local I went to we tried to get one of the players into it. He previously had the game but sold it. He mainly plays Marvel and AE. We gave him some time in the lab with Duo Lon, since he plays Sim in AE and we thought he might like the character. We've also had some players do casuals with us, but for the most part they just stick to their main games. I think it's mainly because it's hard to juggle so many games with limited time.

I think I'll be doing casuals with some friends with week. I will also try to get online this week and post in this thread when I'm on.

PSN: Solidgear91

GGs Terare. I thought I had improved a good amount but it seems I still need a lot of practice.

Will get on some other time if you want to play again.

Finally get to say hi to you guys after reading the KOFGAF thread for so long. Nice to see some people still playing this game with as many fighters are out there now. Over at DreamCancel, I'm organizing some online play sessions on Saturdays (tournaments and ranbats/practice stuff). All are welcome, and hopefully you'll find some good connections out there.

Good to see you here, I follow that site too.

Hoping to see you guys online.

It'll be them moreso than me. In Japan now, matchmaking and growing the scene for here and other places, especially the US. I've had some tolerable matches with overseas players, but it was probably only fun for me (my love for this game knows few bounds).

Finally get to say hi to you guys after reading the KOFGAF thread for so long. Nice to see some people still playing this game with as many fighters are out there now. Over at DreamCancel, I'm organizing some online play sessions on Saturdays (tournaments and ranbats/practice stuff). All are welcome, and hopefully you'll find some good connections out there.

Nice to see you here solidshark.

BadWolf

Welcome man.

Its Diavle :p

shaowebb

Howdy. Im Dynasty Penguin on 360. I dont get to play much due to animation work, but this is pretty much the only fighter Im doing anymore and if Injustice turns out bad then it will remain so. Even if its good I'll try to go half and half though since I love the system in XIII that much and i've started to get a small local group of buds into it to play with.

Wait a second...
There are pictures of KoF94, 95, 97 and 98 in the description. Where do they come from? I've never heard of PSN versions of KoF 97 and 98. o_O

I'm suspect of this too. The date would suggest it's already out, and since it's PS3 and not a JPN-only digital release, wouldn't '94-'98 have to be listed as a Neo-Geo Station title, or was that even established in the EU?

Loona

I'm suspect of this too. The date would suggest it's already out, and since it's PS3 and not a JPN-only digital release, wouldn't '94-'98 have to be listed as a Neo-Geo Station title, or was that even established in the EU?

NeoGeo Station does/did exist in Europe, but I find this association of older titles with XIII odd...

shaowebb

Lesson of the day. Friends dont let friends get good with Ralf on them. Oh God it is not pretty when you get hit by someone who doesn't drop a Ralf combo. The damage is so painful ;_;

On the plus side though I can deal with his Kim now. Having both K' and EX Kyo on after Andy works pretty well against him and leaves me good options at any point in the matchup versus his King/Ralf/Kim team now. To think all he used to do was meter pop with Ralf...

Lesson of the day. Friends dont let friends get good with Ralf on them. Oh God it is not pretty when you get hit by someone who doesn't drop a Ralf combo. The damage is so painful ;_;

On the plus side though I can deal with his Kim now. Having both K' and EX Kyo on after Andy works pretty well against him and leaves me good options at any point in the matchup versus his King/Ralf/Kim team now. To think all he used to do was meter pop with Ralf...

Your friend sounds like a Japanese player I met who is 90% on point with Terry ground combos, and annoyingly good with the cross-up j.D into it. Need to shape my team up against him, but I'm glad to see more Terry's out here.

And don't worry about getting Ralf'd shaowebb. Think of how good you be when you start owning his Ralf. Friends always help friends level-up.

shaowebb

Your friend sounds like a Japanese player I met who is 90% on point with Terry ground combos, and annoyingly good with the cross-up j.D into it. Need to shape my team up against him, but I'm glad to see more Terry's out here.

And don't worry about getting Ralf'd shaowebb. Think of how good you be when you start owning his Ralf. Friends always help friends level-up.

Oh I know and Im glad for the challenge. It feels great being confident against his Kim now. Still I did a double take at all the damage Ralf could do if he caught me. That guy is more dangerous than I thought O_O

Top Bottom