• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

You guys have to seriously watch these matches:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQvJPCkfw5A

These are casuals held after that official SNK tournament, P1 is Korean players and P2 is Japanese players.

Pay special attention to the Japanese player Tenkawa, he uses Shen/Duolon/Ash (in that order).

He puts on a freaking clinic, I think I might call him the
Madkof Killer
from now on lol.

New DreamCancel podcast up where he discussed WB7 with Reynald and AGE Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QQ4MLfCeb3M

You guys might like what Mario has to say on a few things. I like what he said about Karate and scene-building.

You guys have to seriously watch these matches:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQvJPCkfw5A

These are casuals held after that official SNK tournament, P1 is Korean players and P2 is Japanese players.

Pay special attention to the Japanese player Tenkawa, he uses Shen/Duolon/Ash (in that order).

He puts on a freaking clinic, I think I might call him the
Madkof Killer
from now on lol.

Always love when good players pick according to set teams, including the old 03 Hero team.

Thanks for all the videos guys. That Shen player Badwolf mentioned is really good. Great use of the characters normals and special moves.

It seems like players in Europe and Japan are using Saiki, according to the videos that were linked here earlier. Does anyone know the reason why? I'm quite curious because Saiki seems to be an underplayed character, but did people figure out some useful tech with him?

It seems like players in Europe and Japan are using Saiki, according to the videos that were linked here earlier. Does anyone know the reason why? I'm quite curious because Saiki seems to be an underplayed character, but did people figure out some useful tech with him?

I'd say he's got a great zoning edge to him that gives lots of players problems. A player who's usually evenly matched with me over in JPN picked him up recently; made great use of his command normals and Kiyoku no Tsuki (qcf.A/C). He's a Ryo player like me, so that whole strategy was new to me. Made me change up my whole Kim strategy. Saiki is as annoying with zoning and that fwd.B as Mature is with her rekka links. That's my take on it.

I'd say he's got a great zoning edge to him that gives lots of players problems. A player who's usually evenly matched with me over in JPN picked him up recently; made great use of his command normals and Kiyoku no Tsuki (qcf.A/C). He's a Ryo player like me, so that whole strategy was new to me. Made me change up my whole Kim strategy. Saiki is as annoying with zoning and that fwd.B as Mature is with her rekka links. That's my take on it.

Wow, thanks for the input. I suppose some of the reasons you mentioned are also why I'm seeing a lot of Ash as well. It's just that for Ash you have to have the execution if you want to do bigger damage with HD and Sans Culotte.

Wow, thanks for the input. I suppose some of the reasons you mentioned are also why I'm seeing a lot of Ash as well. It's just that for Ash you have to have the execution if you want to do bigger damage with HD and Sans Culotte.

Honestly, he's got several other moves that gives him several advantages in the right circumstances. Being the command/non-charge version of Ash is a big reason why lots of players will make him Ash-red; you'll be confused as hell how "Ash" got so speedy. That plus teleportation, good standing anti-air options, and again (due to experience), that fwd/bk.B command normal he can do in the air too. Pick him up in practice and you'll see why.

Reason you're seeing more Ash now, I'd totally give that to Lacid's/CafeIDs use of him. Longest, quite possibly the flashiest HD combo AND Sans Collette stringing in the whole game. I'd bring up a video example if I was able to right now, but you've probably already seen what I'm talking about.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The timing is insane and the trials are hard as fuck. The online is nothing great sadly. The learning curve is too much for me too handle. I'm gonna go back to ArcSys fighters...

Loona

The trials aren't ment to be practical, they're mostly meant to show interesting move properties and fringe cases, you can do decently without that level of execution.

The timing is insane and the trials are hard as fuck. The online is nothing great sadly. The learning curve is too much for me too handle. I'm gonna go back to ArcSys fighters...

Don't rely on the trials to teach you. Use a wiki - http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=King_of_Fighters_XIII and go over all the basics first. For combos, just start small with meterless combos and work your way up. The timing is quicker than BB, but it's better to perform moves methodically instead of really fast, and there are buffers listed on that wiki page for other ways to perform some moves quicker, depending on the character.

Other than all this, ask some more questions if you have any.

You just started playing. Take it slowly.

The trials aren't meant for beginners, however if you managed to complete the tutorial you can definitely play this game.

BadWolf

Forget the trials.

You can do really well by just knowing your normals, simple combos and good movement.

Honestly, he's got several other moves that gives him several advantages in the right circumstances. Being the command/non-charge version of Ash is a big reason why lots of players will make him Ash-red; you'll be confused as hell how "Ash" got so speedy. That plus teleportation, good standing anti-air options, and again (due to experience), that fwd/bk.B command normal he can do in the air too. Pick him up in practice and you'll see why.

Reason you're seeing more Ash now, I'd totally give that to Lacid's/CafeIDs use of him. Longest, quite possibly the flashiest HD combo AND Sans Collette stringing in the whole game. I'd bring up a video example if I was able to right now, but you've probably already seen what I'm talking about.

Yes, I would definitely agree that Lacid brought Ash's popularity up. I did mess around with both Saiki and Ash for a short period in training yesterday. I find that it's easier to hop between characters in this game, and most of them are fun to play.

Onemic

WHY CANT THIS GAME HAVE DECENT ONLINE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

This would totally be my main game if so. Fuck you SNK!

Shadow780

WHY CANT THIS GAME HAVE DECENT ONLINE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

This would totally be my main game if so. Fuck you SNK!

It's probably fine in Japan/Korean/Taiwan with their thunderous connection. I've seen Taiwanese players stream online matches with Japan and it looked pretty smooth.

Somebody needs to let them know Japan =/ world.

Onemic

Anyone from Canada or the east coast wanna play? My connection been really good and Im gonna try one more damn time to see if I can play this thing online.

Onemic

Well, I think Im entitled to give another hearty FUCK YOU to SNK and their shitty netcode. Worst fighting game netcode this gen, besting even Brawl.

Well, I think Im entitled to give another hearty FUCK YOU to SNK and their shitty netcode. Worst fighting game netcode this gen, besting even Brawl.

Had an aquaintace who might argue with you on that versus MK and MVC3 at times. He has said XIII's is the worst in contrast to how fucking great the game is though.

Both would be good.

Edit: I meant to specify, sorry. lol

http://www.dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leona_Heidern_(XIII)

I've dabbled in Leona a bit, so a few things to start I can tell you is her strongest attribute is movement. She's pretty anti-turtle for a charge character, which is nice. Moon Slasher (d~u.P) and Baltic Launcher (b~f.P) are great for helping her stand her ground. X-calibur (qcb.P in air) and V-Slasher (qcf,hcb.P in air) are a good reason to keep her airborne.

One important bnb for her is cr/st.B, fwd.B, X-calibur or V-Slasher. Work on that, but don't rely on it all the time, and make sure you can hit-confirm off of it if you want to use V-Slasher too.

Always keep her moving around, and attacking. Don't let her get cornered, unless you're willing to do an EX Moon Slasher to counter.

Onemic

Had an aquaintace who might argue with you on that versus MK and MVC3 at times. He has said XIII's is the worst in contrast to how fucking great the game is though.

Ive yet to play a KOF match online that wasn't pretty much unplayable. I remember I played someone that literally lived 30 minutes away from me and there was still lag. I've played plenty of lag free matches in UMvC3 however. Unsure about MK though.

Anyway, that was my last try for online. Guess I won't be playing KOF until XIV releases for the PS4.

Is there a good Leona player anyone can point me to? I'm trying to learn her first, then Kyo, and Iori.

Juicebox could most likely help you. He just stopped streaming, but hop in the next time you get a chance: http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel/

I've dabbled in Leona a bit, so a few things to start I can tell you is her strongest attribute is movement. She's pretty anti-turtle for a charge character, which is nice. Moon Slasher (d~u.P) and Baltic Launcher (b~f.P) are great for helping her stand her ground. X-calibur (qcb.P in air) and V-Slasher (qcf,hcb.P in air) are a good reason to keep her airborne.

Well actually I can't think of a single character in this game, charge moves or not, that's better off turtling as opposed to finding a way in and doing shit. Offense is more rewarding overall.

Other than that, you'll generally want to confirm into air qcb+A mid-screen, but in the corner use qcb+C so you can get a Moon Slasher afterwards (which itself can lead to more damage if drive cancelled).

Well actually I can't think of a single character in this game, charge moves or not, that's better off turtling as opposed to finding a way in and doing shit. Offense is more rewarding overall.

Probably should've added that as being my opinion. I consider Ash a lot better for turtling over Leona, but that's just based off of his moveset and the style I play him.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

http://www.dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leona_Heidern_(XIII)

One important bnb for her is cr/st.B, fwd.B, X-calibur or V-Slasher. Work on that, but don't rely on it all the time, and make sure you can hit-confirm off of it if you want to use V-Slasher too.

Always keep her moving around, and attacking. Don't let her get cornered, unless you're willing to do an EX Moon Slasher to counter.

Juicebox could most likely help you. He just stopped streaming, but hop in the next time you get a chance: http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel/

Other than that, you'll generally want to confirm into air qcb+A mid-screen, but in the corner use qcb+C so you can get a Moon Slasher afterwards (which itself can lead to more damage if drive cancelled).

Good looking out. Glad my thoughts were heading in the right direction, in terms of using her. It's really taking some getting use to having to charge so much. It's like night and day compared to Bison.

Good looking out. Glad my thoughts were heading in the right direction, in terms of using her. It's really taking some getting use to having to charge so much. It's like night and day compared to Bison.

Not surprising. Bison's charges thrust him everywhere. Leona has one thrusting charge move, and the others are easier to classify as defensive.

You'll probably see or notice Leona players rushing down with a lot of normals (cr.B's), charging up whatever they're going to do next.

BadWolf

One thing to keep in mind with Leona is that unless you have meter you are a sitting duck on wakeup. Her regular Moon Slasher (d~u.P) has no invincibility on startup and you will eat a combo on wakeup if they do a meaty.

Also, her st.B, fwd.B combos but is not a true block string, you can be interrupted in between the st.B and fwd.B.

Make sure to learn her normals, she has some really good (spammable) one's. And don't forget to make use of her instant overhead (neutral jump j.D), which you can combo into her super and air specials.

Oh and feast your eyes on this Leona against CafeID's Lacid (25:14): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R2p2MkG-84Q#t=1514s

Got bodied by the people at Next Level, though I felt I wasn't playing my best. I need to play this game more.

I really enjoyed playing this offline, though.

Shadow780

Got bodied by the people at Next Level, though I felt I wasn't playing my best. I need to play this game more.

I really enjoyed playing this offline, though.

The one at Brooklyn? You know what days of the week there's people KOF there? I went one Saturday and there's only Smash Bros. ppl.

Shadow780

Went to Next Level today for the local tourney for the first time. Feels so different man, choked so bad haha @@

I need to go out and play offline more often.

stn

Wanna pick this up. Are there any characters that can be learned easily? I'm already juggling SFxT, MK, and AE as it is. Plus, I ALWAYS play ST and HDR.

I ask because its 3v3 and I'd like to at least be a mediocre/decent player quickly. I always have great fundamentals and spacing in every game I play, but my execution is not amazing and it takes me time to adapt to game-specific engine features.

Top Bottom